The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 August 2018, 12:19 PM   #31
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Ooo how’s the new location is that open? Last I was at Cellini they were at 500 Madison as well as the Waldorf. I bought my first AP off a nice man at the Madison location named Artice.
Artice is there, at the new location. very nice and modern new space, i dig it. doesn't feel as stuffy as old Madison location.

a buddy of mine and I stopped by to say hi to Artice, and we viewed and chatted over a few pieces - Moser, Ferrier, and a few Urbans. Artice had on a Ressence, was pretty cool.
great gentleman, would recommend to anyone to stop by and chat with him, no hard sell he just loves watches like all of us.

while i was there, had to validate whether the dato would even work well on the wrist.
I'm surprised and delighted to say that it does...VERY well.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 06:15 PM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
one of ALS's biggest ADs... didn't bother asking
also, given its unfortunate depreciation, I'd be looking toward pre-owned.
Lightly used is probably wise, ADs are offering lower discounts yet resales are still poor so they are in a bit of a No Man's Land still.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 06:21 PM   #33
Hermann
"TRF" Member

You have a 5712in steel with steel bracelet, a rose aquanaut on composite, so I would choose the 5170 on the leather, so you would have more difference in your collection.

But I would sell the rose aquanaut and buy the 5711R and a 5170 in Platinum or in white Gold with the white dial.
So you also have a great Patek collection with also a lot difference.
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 10:25 PM   #34
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Lange gets my vote.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 01:38 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Artice is there, at the new location. very nice and modern new space, i dig it. doesn't feel as stuffy as old Madison location.

a buddy of mine and I stopped by to say hi to Artice, and we viewed and chatted over a few pieces - Moser, Ferrier, and a few Urbans. Artice had on a Ressence, was pretty cool.
great gentleman, would recommend to anyone to stop by and chat with him, no hard sell he just loves watches like all of us.

while i was there, had to validate whether the dato would even work well on the wrist.
I'm surprised and delighted to say that it does...VERY well.
I’m glad to hear that next time I visit the city I’ll be sure to stop by. Yes the old location was the equivalent of a large closet absolutely packed with great stuff. To give perspective last time I was there they had a RM 35-01 in stock that I tried on

Boy times have changed.

I first went to the Waldorf location and tried to negotiate on a black dial 15400, btw of course the 15202 was in stock I tried it on before deciding it wasn’t worth the extra to me lol. They wouldn’t come down to my number (13500) at the time so I sat in the lobby of the Waldorf to contemplate meeting their number. Sitting there lil Wayne walks right by me and I make eye contact with him but too struck to say anything. No security or nothing. He was doing a tour with drake that was at msg that night I found out later.

I walked straight from there to Madison Cellini and told Artice my price and he immediately shook my hand and made the deal.
Old 19 August 2018, 02:14 AM   #36
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

I'm torn between the 11R and the datoR.
the 5170 is beautiful... but at the same time, for me, a bit uninteresting relative to the other two.

I'd imagine it would hold its value far better than the dato, but slightly less than the 11R.

my head says the 11R is the smarter purchase cuz of its value retention.
and no doubt it's gorgeous AF!

but my heart is throbbing for that dato. that combo of black dial and rose case, the flyback function and big date. yowza.
it's arguably far more interesting than the 11R.

also, I may actually benefit from the fact that the 11R has been difficult/unavailable to land. get the datoR now at pre-owned, enjoy it for few years as I wait for the right opportunity for the 11R... at which point I can let go of the RO 15450BA to help fund, or worst case decide if the datoR should go as I think I wouldn't lose much since I will have purchased at pre-owned prices.

too logical??
Old 19 August 2018, 06:24 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I'm torn between the 11R and the datoR.
the 5170 is beautiful... but at the same time, for me, a bit uninteresting relative to the other two.

I'd imagine it would hold its value far better than the dato, but slightly less than the 11R.

my head says the 11R is the smarter purchase cuz of its value retention.
and no doubt it's gorgeous AF!

but my heart is throbbing for that dato. that combo of black dial and rose case, the flyback function and big date. yowza.
it's arguably far more interesting than the 11R.

also, I may actually benefit from the fact that the 11R has been difficult/unavailable to land. get the datoR now at pre-owned, enjoy it for few years as I wait for the right opportunity for the 11R... at which point I can let go of the RO 15450BA to help fund, or worst case decide if the datoR should go as I think I wouldn't lose much since I will have purchased at pre-owned prices.

too logical??
That's fair enough, I remember looking at the Dato's movement in Wempe was one of the most magical times I've ever had in an AD. Get the Dato now and then trade for the Naut when it comes in.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 01:28 PM   #38
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I would go for the Datograph or the 1815 Chronograph (used or new with a healthy discount) without hesitation. The Datograph seems to be speaking to you.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 02:20 PM   #39
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That's fair enough, I remember looking at the Dato's movement in Wempe was one of the most magical times I've ever had in an AD. Get the Dato now and then trade for the Naut when it comes in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I would go for the Datograph or the 1815 Chronograph (used or new with a healthy discount) without hesitation. The Datograph seems to be speaking to you.
yes, the datoR has certainly left a deep impression with me, and has somewhat disrupted my outlook.

whichever pops up first (11R or datoR) as a good oppty will be the first to be acquired!
Old 11 September 2018, 05:36 AM   #40
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

an update pending.
not quite what i ever intended... but am/will be VERY pleased, i believe.
tbc...