The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 13 December 2010, 11:23 AM   #1
dj1809
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar ExpII 16570
16570 Polar Explorer II (V serie)

After about three weeks of ownership, I've decided to sit down and put together my thoughts on this watch. As it is my first Rolex, I will not be trying to compare it to any other watches and instead try to convey my "gut feelings." I've included some pics to help keep your attention. All but one of the photos was taken with my iPhone 4.

First Impressions and Aesthetics
I had originally been eyeballing the new ceramic Submariner, but then I came across TRF and user pics of the Explorer II. The official Rolex website does not do this watch justice, and really, it is treated like an afterthought to their collection. I fell in love with the white dial and the simple contrast provided by the red GMT hand. I also really liked the understated stainless steel bezel and how it looked much sleeker than the Sub C.

When I first saw it at the store, I'll have to admit it looked a bit plain sitting next to its (relatively) blinged out Rolex brethren. I then put it on my wrist which brought a smile to my face, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I particularly like the easy readability of the white dial. I am a fan of the engraved rehaut and I think the engraved serial number along the six o'clock edge is a nice touch. The brushed stainless steel is beautiful in its own right and I also like how the brushed bezel is a different "coarseness" than the bracelet, lending it a slightly different texture and appearance. The contrast with the polished bracelet and case sides is subtle but lends a touch of elegance to the Exp II's otherwise workman-like appearance. I was initially a bit unsure about the cyclops, but I rather like it now and prefer it to the "modded" cyclops-less Exp IIs. One thing I wish the Rolex came with was a display case back, but that's just a small point.

Crown and adjustment
I won't go into the particulars on how to adjust this watch as it has been done in other threads, but I'll just say that there is a bit of a learning curve though it is simple enough once you get used to it. When tightened down, the Rolex insignia is properly aligned, pointing at the 12 o'clock position. My understanding is that overtightening of the crown can actually damage the threads and so I've made a habit of "snugging" it down as opposed to really cranking or torquing it down tight. The crown releases very smoothly and pops into position one quite easily. It takes a bit more pulling to get it into position two but nothing I deem out of the ordinary. The operation is very smooth and the tactile and visible feedback from adjusting or winding this watch is very satisfying; especially the lack of "play" on the watch hands as adjustments are made.

Bracelet and fit
Not having worn a Rolex before, I really can't comment about the bracelet heft, but I can see where the people who complain about the bracelet are coming from. It definitely does not seem as substantial as it should be given the watch's pricepoint and supposed sporty nature. However, I trust that this bracelet has worked for Rolex in the past and they felt little need to change it (for now) as it has served its purpose well.

My left wrist measures 6.5" in diameter and I have the bracelet in a 7+5 link configuration (seven links on the 12 o'clock side, five links on the 6 o'clock side). I have the micro-adjustment on the clasp set at the third innermost setting and this has given me a great fit with very little movement of the watch up and down the wrist while not being too tight. Theoretically, it seems I could probably go with a 6+5 configuration with a "looser" microadjustment setting, but I think that I'd have problems with the watch constantly migrating towards the 12 o'clock side of my wrist due to the way the bracelet clasp is designed. In any case, my current configuration is just right and very comfortable.

Every day use and accuracy
I usually don't wear a watch to work as I am constantly scrubbing in and out of the cardiac cath lab and having to take my watch off each time. However, I couldn't bear the thought of this baby being neglected at home so I've been wearing it to work. Again, it is very comfortable and I have to keep reminding myself to take it off before each procedure. I usually keep it in the back pocket of my scrub pants during the procedure. The reason I mention all this is that during the first week, I did not wear my watch to work and I noticed I was a consistent +5/-3 seconds per day, but I noticed that when I started wearing the watch to work I was getting up to +15 sec per day. This initially baffled me and I started wondering if putting the watch in my back pocket put it in a bad position affecting its accuracy. I even started researching the possible affects of fluoroscopy on the accuracy of mechanical watches (silly, I know). I was stumped. This happened every day and I had resorted to resetting my watch to the USNO Master Clock every evening. I had almost resigned myself to the fact that I may need to get my Exp II regulated, a disappointment given that I had just bought the watch. Then after doing some reading on TRF, I figured out it was most likely due to the watch having lost significant power reserve during the time I've worn it (I had only manually wound it once when I first got the watch). Like I said, even though I wear my watch every day, it spends a huge portion of each day in my back pocket with very little movement. Sure enough, last night I manually wound my watch and found that it needed just about the full 40 turns of the crown. Since yesterday, it is about -3/-4 seconds. Hopefully, it will stay this way now that I plan on giving it a manual wind on a regular basis. As an aside, my understanding is that it is impossible to "overwind" a modern Rolex. Is it possible to tell when the watch has been completely wound?

Final thoughts
A watch is a watch, but it is the owner's experiences that gives the material things in life an immaterial character. It already holds a lot of sentimental value for me as it is a (early) 10th wedding anniversary gift from my wife and also commemorates my first contract signing for a position after I finish my interventional cardiology training in June 2011. To say the least, I am very happy with my polar Explorer II and it is a watch I'm sure I'll have for the rest of my life.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Chris
dj1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2010, 12:12 PM   #2
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Chris - Very nice review with some great pics.

I love mine as well. The Exp II is great looking, understated and you can wear it for any occasion. It is also pretty much bullet proof. I wore mine for almost 7 years (I know not recommended) before it went to RCS for servicing. It came back looking like new and it is extremely accurate (+2 a day without fail). Mine is an A serial (circa 1999) so it has the 3185 movement. Your's has the 3186 which is the same as my GMT IIC. Don't worry it will settle down. My GMT IIC was the same as yours when I got it but once it settled in it now runs +1 a day without fail.

The Exp II was my first Rolex and 12 years later I still have it. Many of the reasons you pointed out are why. I am sure yours will be a keeper too.

Congrats!
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Nice review. The Polar Exp II is my next watch.

Is that the Lions vs Green Bay game in the background?
hdrazor251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2010, 01:07 PM   #4
dj1809
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrazor251 View Post
Nice review. The Polar Exp II is my next watch.

Is that the Lions vs Green Bay game in the background?
Yeah. Hehehe... first time I've been able to catch an entire Lions game on network television down here in Texas. Ugly game, but I'll take it. Finally snaps our 19 game division losing streak.
Old 13 December 2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great review and excellent pix! Thanks. I just looked down at my wrist and smiled at the ExpII looking back at me.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2010, 12:17 AM   #6
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Great review and pics Chris! the Exp II is my favourite watch
Old 14 December 2010, 05:04 AM   #7
mpaone
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Nice review! I didn't used to like the look of the Explorer II but have grown to love it as of late.

-Mike.
mpaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2010, 03:09 PM   #8
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great review!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2010, 08:19 PM   #9
chstoft
"TRF" Member

Watch: me
Chris, I like your writing... Very nice review and photos of a stunning watch
chstoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2010, 02:31 AM   #10
dj1809
"TRF" Member

Thanks for reading, everyone!
I think keeping the watch in my back pocket is throwing the accuracy off. This week at work I've gained about 13 seconds over two days. I'm going to try to confirm this today as I don't have any cases so the watch will be staying on my wrist.
Old 20 December 2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Yeahnah
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mil116400
A great review and absolutely agree with your sentiments. I love mine and it will not be sold.
Regarding the accuracy, mine had gained on average 4 minutes over 3 months and that's about the time when I would reset it. It has recently had it's first service, after 6 years, and I have not worn it as yet to check on the accuracy.
I recently saw a post within the forum on how you can regulate the watch by the position it is placed when not worn. I'm sorry I don't know exactly which section of the forum it was in, possibly the reference. Worth seeking out, although there are many members who are far more knowledgable and may be able to suggest something else.
Great iPhone pics by the way. Enjoy and congratulations.
Yeahnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2010, 03:01 PM   #12
psv
"TRF" Member

Great and informative review. Congrats on the watch and milestone!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2010, 12:48 AM   #13
dj1809
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahnah View Post
A great review and absolutely agree with your sentiments. I love mine and it will not be sold.
Regarding the accuracy, mine had gained on average 4 minutes over 3 months and that's about the time when I would reset it. It has recently had it's first service, after 6 years, and I have not worn it as yet to check on the accuracy.
I recently saw a post within the forum on how you can regulate the watch by the position it is placed when not worn. I'm sorry I don't know exactly which section of the forum it was in, possibly the reference. Worth seeking out, although there are many members who are far more knowledgable and may be able to suggest something else.
Great iPhone pics by the way. Enjoy and congratulations.
I saw a picture of that certificate that Rolex used to include with their watches. I think it was vertical with the crown up to lose "rather more seconds." Since I last posted, my Exp II has settled in at about 19 seconds fast (I haven't reset it yet) which means it has only gained about 6 additional seconds over the last 3-4 days. I can live with that.
Old 12 January 2011, 04:27 AM   #14
dj1809
"TRF" Member

Just a quick update on the accuracy. My watch is now running a consistent +/-5 seconds at the worst, depending on how I place the watch on my nightstand at night.

I didn't really believe it, but it appears that there definitely is a break-in period during which the movement settles down.
Old 13 January 2011, 03:32 AM   #15
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Great review Chris.

I bought mine a few weeks ago and my impressions are exactly the same as yours.

Great choice for your "Texas Timex"
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 11:43 AM   #16
Raven52
"TRF" Member

very nice review...big fan of the Explorer
Raven52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Dylan Wade

Watch: EXP II
Enjoyed reading the review, thank you.

You picked the best Rolex IMO and I'm sure like all EXP II owners will enjoy its enduring properties that you outlined and we all love.
Dylan Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 08:20 AM   #18
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
Awesome Review! The Explorer II is one of the best Rolex pieces.

“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 09:01 AM   #19
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Nice review thanks.
Still wondering how one knows which series one's watch is. Does one have to have the back open?
Old 16 January 2011, 02:17 PM   #20
David Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
Nice review thanks.
Still wondering how one knows which series one's watch is. Does one have to have the back open?
If you have a recent piece like Chris, the serial number is engraved on the rehaut at the 6 position. If you have an older model, it is engraved on the side of the case between the lugs at the 6 position, and the bracelet needs to be removed to see the number. The first digit of the serial number will be the series identifier, mine is a U, from 1997.
DW
David Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 06:21 PM   #21
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Thanks but I do have the serial number (2E5A6xxx), it is also on the warranty card. But that does not give the series, does it?
Or I guess it is also a V series, which started in 2008 as the random serial numbers started in 2010? No new series since 2008?
Old 16 January 2011, 07:49 PM   #22
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Thanxs for sharing.
The EX2 Polar is the Rolex I owned the longest (7years).
In 2010 I bought a new one back, imho the most awesome sports-Rolex.
Greets G.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 11:27 AM   #23
Shikar
"TRF" Member

I wore my E2 polar since getting it as a gift from my wife (then fiance) 11 years ago. It runs a bit fast now, maybe time for a service. Its worn rarely and spends most of its time in the safe for the past year.
Excellent review.

Regards.
Shikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 03:21 PM   #24
A Jewel Thief

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Really enjoyed the review. Hopefully I will add this to my collection very soon. I hope they keep the 24 hr hand red.

Thief
A Jewel Thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2011, 02:43 AM   #25
josh6262

Watch: Rolex Daytona 6262
Awesome review. It's like reading a culinary review from a critic's first time eating in a five star Michelin restaurant.
Just one piece of advice. Never let anyone outside of Rolex refinish this watch. The bezel of the Explorer has a satin finish in a sunburst pattern that nobody I know can replicate. When it has a scratch it stands out like a zit on your nose and can be a splinter in your brain, but don't rush to anyone to get it refinished unless your willing to see a different pattern on it. Plus, the black enamel that Rolex uses is much stronger than most regular watchmakers and last much longer.
Wear it in good health, brother!
josh6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2011, 01:20 PM   #26
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Great review. Enjoy your watch.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2011, 02:09 PM   #27
Coubs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710
I was Calgary this week and there was a giant Rolex billboard featuring the Rolex Polar II. Pretty cool that Rolex chose this model for their billboard.
Coubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2011, 12:24 AM   #28
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Thanks for a very informative write-up. The EX-II is a fine all-around watch, and I strongly considered one before purchasing my TT II-C. One of the things I really like about the Explorer is the brushed bezel. It always remains legible, even in low light contitions and that's one of the biggest peeves about my SS Daytona - too much reflection and not enough legibility. IMO, one of the biggest plusses to the GMT II-C band (not sure if the Explorer has it) is the deployant half-link. Summer/Winter, active or sedentary, the band always fits *just right* - snug, but never tight.

DD OysterQuartz
Brietling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2011, 10:36 AM   #29
watchnut.com
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15400ST
Great review! Thanks for the post!

The white dial EXP II is my favorite Rolex sport model and the one I wear most days of the week.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - William Shakespeare

Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit
watchnut.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2011, 01:34 AM   #30
dj1809
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
Thanks for a very informative write-up. The EX-II is a fine all-around watch, and I strongly considered one before purchasing my TT II-C. One of the things I really like about the Explorer is the brushed bezel. It always remains legible, even in low light contitions and that's one of the biggest peeves about my SS Daytona - too much reflection and not enough legibility. IMO, one of the biggest plusses to the GMT II-C band (not sure if the Explorer has it) is the deployant half-link. Summer/Winter, active or sedentary, the band always fits *just right* - snug, but never tight.
I didn't really realize it before purchasing the watch, but like I mentioned in my review, the brushed SS of the bezel is a bit different than the rest of the watch. I read somewhere else that it is a "starburst" brushed pattern. Good to know because apparently some people have had the bezel refinished by a non-Rolex source only to lose the deeper grain/pattern of the original bezel.

Thanks for reading my review!