"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Those are two beauts,JJ.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2008, 01:27 PM   #92
AGENT4734
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Club Founder
JJ, thank you for the great review on the Expy II. After reading your excellent review I went out and purchased my first Rolex, a Explorer II with a white dial! Rolex should give you some type of a kick back for making all of us CRAZY for these watches! Thanks again JJ!
Rolex DJ TOG 116264
Rolex DJ Roman 126200
AGENT4734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2008, 08:42 PM   #93
omer_mah
"TRF" Member

Hi Guys
I own Omega and I have decided to buy a Rolex. I was going to buy DateJust but not like it once I put it on. The jeweler suggested that I should try Explorer II. I loved it and is very very nice.
My Omega Constellation is Automatic SS White. I am not sure if I should buy Black Dial Explorer or White. I have not actually seen Black Dial Explorer II. I am in Darwin, Australia and they do not have any rolex dealer here :(.
Any comments, if I should go to another white dial but different watch or should I buy Black Dial Explorer II.
omer_mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2008, 02:54 AM   #94
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer_mah View Post
Hi Guys
I own Omega and I have decided to buy a Rolex. I was going to buy DateJust but not like it once I put it on. The jeweler suggested that I should try Explorer II. I loved it and is very very nice.
My Omega Constellation is Automatic SS White. I am not sure if I should buy Black Dial Explorer or White. I have not actually seen Black Dial Explorer II. I am in Darwin, Australia and they do not have any rolex dealer here :(.
Any comments, if I should go to another white dial but different watch or should I buy Black Dial Explorer II.
Omer,

Thanks for your PM....but you might want to start up a new thread so these guys can see it better and try and help you out.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2008, 08:36 AM   #95
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
JJ - great review. This one and a couple of other posts have already convinced me that the White Explorer II is going to be my next purchase.

Question: Both JJ's and a couple of other posts mentioned that the White Exp II is typically very available and that you can get a good discount at an AD on it - what % have you guys typically been able to get? 10-15%? or even more?
Georg Jensen 2347
tandrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2008, 12:39 PM   #96
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great review !
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2008, 06:12 PM   #97
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandrup View Post
JJ - great review. This one and a couple of other posts have already convinced me that the White Explorer II is going to be my next purchase.

Question: Both JJ's and a couple of other posts mentioned that the White Exp II is typically very available and that you can get a good discount at an AD on it - what % have you guys typically been able to get? 10-15%? or even more?

You will not be disappointed when you take Expy home for the first time and strap on it your wrist. I know I wasn't, I'm so happy everyday that I own the Explorer II and its definitely a keeper for me.

About discounts, the typical percent is about 10-15% as you have mentioned. This is a great value in my opinion and you take him a brand new Rolex. The ADs here in the Bay Area usually don't offer discounts on SS models but they can waive the sales tax for you which is around 8%.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2008, 12:07 PM   #98
J. Martin Tensuan

Great review, JJ! Got an Explorer II with a white dial myself and I absolutely love it. One question though - you said its actual diameter is 39 mm? Why is it listed with a diameter of 40 mm?
J. Martin Tensuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2008, 04:42 PM   #99
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Martin Tensuan View Post
Great review, JJ! Got an Explorer II with a white dial myself and I absolutely love it. One question though - you said its actual diameter is 39 mm? Why is it listed with a diameter of 40 mm?
Well, I've actually measured it with a Vernier caliper and found it to be 39 mm. I think it's the FIXED bezel that gives it the slightly smaller diameter as compared with the rotatable bezels of the GMTs and SUBs.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 29 January 2008, 09:02 PM   #100
J. Martin Tensuan

Thanks, JJ! I am a new member and am grateful for any info -- especially from seasoned owners like you. Actually, my Explorer II is my first Rolex. I considered an Omega Seamaster GMT White Dial before but held back as I've always wanted the Explorer II White Dial.

I also own Omegas ( a PO Chronometer, 45.5. mm and a Speedmaster), Tags (Carrera Twin Time Automatic and Series 2000 Automatic), a Raymond Weil (which I find a bit too dressy), an Oris (Tonneau Classic), a Buler (Ocean Conqueror), a couple of working Swatches and even a Casio G-Shock Frogman.

Anyway, my obvious favorite is my Explorer II. Glad I held back on the Seamaster GMT -- the wait was worth it!!!

Looking forward to more of your reviews!
J. Martin Tensuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2008, 03:36 AM   #101
mchenrytl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XX
Well, after reading this review and seeing one at my local AD I finally bought one. It's my first Rolex and I just love the white face. I think you can really dress up or down this model so it's very versatile. Now, I just need to do the link re-arrangement.

I have seen the Exp II's with the RRR chapter rings/inner bezel markings. They are coming out and your AD can get one for you if you like it. For me, they had one in stock without the markings and were willing to deal on it so it made sense for me not to get an updated one.

Now if they came out with an Exp II with the new 3186 movement that's in the GMT IIc then I would want to upgrade.

-Troy
mchenrytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2008, 03:12 PM   #102
fmferro
Banned

love that watch

good review
fmferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2008, 11:10 AM   #103
tphan
"TRF" Member

Great review. Thanks!

The EXPII white face is my low profile watch when big bosses visit.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2008, 03:59 PM   #104
kelsod333
"TRF" Member

EXPII Crown Question

Hi,

Great review! BTW...I own this watch and am curious as to what kind of crown mechanism the EXPII has since there is a solid line under the Rolex symbol on the crown as opposed to the three dots of a triplock or no dots of a twinlock? Is it either of these or something entirely different?

Thanks for your help anyone.
kelsod333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2008, 04:08 PM   #105
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsod333 View Post
Hi,

Great review! BTW...I own this watch and am curious as to what kind of crown the EXPII has since there is a solid line under the Rolex symbol on the crown as opposed to the three dots of a triplock?

Just curious. Thanks for your help anyone.

Dave
Welcome to the forums kelsod333!

The Explorer II has a twinlock crown. The line under the crown indicates that its a twinlock. They are guaranteed water resistant to a depth of 330 feet or 100 meters. The twinlock is also smaller than the triplock.

On the Submariners, you would see a crown with three dots under the crown and that is indeed the triplock.
Old 15 March 2008, 05:47 PM   #106
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Good review JJ. Yeah I love my Expy II!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2008, 05:57 PM   #107
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchenrytl View Post
Well, after reading this review and seeing one at my local AD I finally bought one. It's my first Rolex and I just love the white face. I think you can really dress up or down this model so it's very versatile. Now, I just need to do the link re-arrangement.

I have seen the Exp II's with the RRR chapter rings/inner bezel markings. They are coming out and your AD can get one for you if you like it. For me, they had one in stock without the markings and were willing to deal on it so it made sense for me not to get an updated one.

Now if they came out with an Exp II with the new 3186 movement that's in the GMT IIc then I would want to upgrade.

-Troy
same i would love to have an expyII with the 3186 movement and a standard oyster bracelet MINUS the chapter ring (thus losing the serial # on the ring)

OR

i suppose i could easily live with a expyII with 3186 movement on a ss jubilee
sherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2008, 11:30 AM   #108
kelsod333
"TRF" Member

Thanks

Thanks for the explaination Big Jeezy!! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:11 PM   #109
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the explaination Big Jeezy!! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
You're very welcome. I'm glad I was able to help. That is what this forum is about, keeping a very friendly and helpful atmosphere. At the same time, we can get wild and funny too.

Hope you enjoy your time here, as well all share an interest for watches.
Old 18 March 2008, 01:49 PM   #110
gtwatson
"TRF" Member

Watch: YGDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG JeEzY View Post
Welcome to the forums kelsod333!

The Explorer II has a twinlock crown. The line under the crown indicates that its a twinlock. They are guaranteed water resistant to a depth of 330 feet or 100 meters. The twinlock is also smaller than the triplock.

On the Submariners, you would see a crown with three dots under the crown and that is indeed the triplock.
Is the following an urban legend? Someone told me that the bar under the crown stood for a gold bar and was on all gold Rolex watches. I've always wondered what the bar and dots stood for.
gtwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2008, 12:06 AM   #111
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwatson View Post
Is the following an urban legend? Someone told me that the bar under the crown stood for a gold bar and was on all gold Rolex watches. I've always wondered what the bar and dots stood for.
Yes, that is not true. Twinlock crowns have the solid bar or two dots, whereas Triplocks have 3 dots.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2008, 04:20 AM   #112
kelsod333
"TRF" Member

I have a question about the position of the Rolex crown on the winding crown (hope that makes sense) on the ExpII. On my Z series EXPII when the crown is fully screwed down the Rolex Crown symbol is pointing up to the 12 o'clock position. That is, if you were looking at the watch from the side the crown symbol would be laying on it's side with the top of the crown points pointing to the right.
I've seen pics of other Rolex's where the crown is upside down when fully screwed it. Does it vary based on model or year or what? Is there a proper position the crown should be in? I got my watch new from an AD in February so it must have come from the factory this way.

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks for your help anybody.
Old 28 March 2008, 04:23 AM   #113
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I have a question about the position of the Rolex crown on the winding crown (hope that makes sense) on the ExpII. On my Z series EXPII when the crown is fully screwed down the Rolex Crown symbol is pointing up to the 12 o'clock position. That is, if you were looking at the watch from the side the crown symbol would be laying on it's side with the top of the crown points pointing to the right.
I've seen pics of other Rolex's where the crown is upside down when fully screwed it. Does it vary based on model or year or what? Is there a proper position the crown should be in? I got my watch new from an AD in February so it must have come from the factory this way.

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks for your help anybody.
While your question does make sense, it's an age old question. It would be virtually impossible to align two crowns in an identical manner. The threads on the stem have to match up with the threads inside the crown.....and to attain that perfectly each time is well nigh impossible.

So you would have to be very lucky to get a crown perfectly lined up straight.

JJ

Old 28 March 2008, 04:33 AM   #114
kelsod333
"TRF" Member

Thanks JJ for the very quick reply :)

I just noticed on the picture you posted of your EXPYII that your crown seems to point 180 degrees opposite of mine (your's toward 6 O'Clock). Mine does in fact point perfectly to 12 o'clock and I'm glad as you say, that it at least points perfectly in one direction. As anal as I am it would probably drive me nuts if the crown was pointing in some funky direction like at 8 o'clock or something like that. But that's just me.

Thanks again!!
Old 29 March 2008, 07:17 AM   #115
mouse
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1998 Sea Dweller
Nice review

I have just purchased my first Rolex after previously owning Omegas. I have a black face Explorer 2. I must say its a really comfortable watch, much lighter than my Planet Ocean. I wish I found your review before I bought it, but I can confirm this is a great all round watch, either for everyday use or for a special occasion. I think this could be the first of many Rolex watches, wife permitting!
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2008, 07:31 AM   #116
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
I have just purchased my first Rolex after previously owning Omegas. I have a black face Explorer 2. I must say its a really comfortable watch, much lighter than my Planet Ocean. I wish I found your review before I bought it, but I can confirm this is a great all round watch, either for everyday use or for a special occasion. I think this could be the first of many Rolex watches, wife permitting!

Welcome to TRF Mouse! I too have the black (Noir dial). Great Rolex! JJ had one too, here's a couple of his pics (which are better than mine)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Expy2JJ.jpg (85.4 KB, 913 views)
File Type: jpg Expyglow221.jpg (83.0 KB, 904 views)
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2008, 02:26 AM   #117
netmaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Does the black dial make reading time easier than the white one?
And how can the rotating bezel of GMT-Master II help you with the third time zone?
netmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2008, 03:12 AM   #118
timackerman
"TRF" Member

I have to say, I really like the black face when compared to the white face Explorer II
Old 14 April 2008, 03:39 AM   #119
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmaster View Post
And how can the rotating bezel of GMT-Master II help you with the third time zone?
Both dials are very easy to read.....and, yes, the rotating bezel of a GMT-II will facilitate arranging for a third time zone.

JJ

Old 14 April 2008, 09:27 AM   #120
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmaster View Post
I personally find reading the time to be easier in most lighting conditions on my white dial Explorer II than on my black dial GMT Master 1.

This is because there is more of a contrast of the hands on the white dial (black painted white gold hands on white dial) than there is on the black dial (white gold hands on black dial). More contrast usually gives better readability.