The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 July 2018, 07:02 AM   #91
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I got bored with my 5711 in about 1 month...really didn't do anything for me other than be somewhat desirable. Let that go for MSRP even as the prices were rising to someone who really wanted it. Figure there has to be a good guy somewhere...
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:53 AM   #92
antoine524
"TRF" Member

If you want to sell it for retail... i m here :)
antoine524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:37 AM   #93
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Its a different kind of watch. The 5726 has loud rotor noise as well. The 5712 you do not hear bec its a micro rotor. Its delicate in fell but not in application. It will never be as robust as a Rolex as one is more tool like and the other is an elegant all round time pice with a different adtetic. I LOVE my PP's but always drift back to my Rolexes for some reason. wouldn't part with my PP's but they don't get the wrist time of my Rolexes. The AP 15202 feels more solid IMHO than the PP but is also not like a Rolex. Keep giving the PP a try i don't think you will be disappointed. If you don't like it you an always flip it for a Day Date or something else you truly love.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 05:37 AM   #94
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerodp716 View Post
Recently acquired a new 5711. Outside of a Calatrava many moons ago this is my first PP. I have to tell you that I am extremely disappointed in this watch. The rotor noise is a buzzkill...no pun intended. The bracelet and clasp just feel cheap to me. I had very high hopes and this was a grail for me. I own many Rolex models and several AP's and have never felt this way about any of those. Did I expect too much or am just missing the allure of the fabled 5711?? I wanted to love this watch and waited for a long time to get it. Maybe I got a lemon. Anyone else's experience mirror this?
Completely, I sold off a few of my vintage Rolex pieces to buy mine and also thought the bracelet looked cheap, pins with tubes in the links and dull steel under the flip part of the clasp, after two months the date kept getting stuck so off it went for repair, got it back quickly and was only worn on rotation, I decided to make it my daily wearer and after ten months the watch gained time and then the date sticking problem came back but this time it was stuck solid, off it went for repair and this time it was away ages and I bought two new watches while I waited.
I have an older Patek that I love and wanted to buy a chrono for my 50th but this has put me right off and I’m now back onto new Rolex
scurfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 12:26 PM   #95
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I had a 5711 and 15202 at the same time. The AP was much better in my eyes. Sold my 5711 and never regretted it.

And yes the rotor drove me crazy. Same on my 5726 and 5167.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:33 AM   #96
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerodp716 View Post
Recently acquired a new 5711. Outside of a Calatrava many moons ago this is my first PP. I have to tell you that I am extremely disappointed in this watch. The rotor noise is a buzzkill...no pun intended. The bracelet and clasp just feel cheap to me. I had very high hopes and this was a grail for me. I own many Rolex models and several AP's and have never felt this way about any of those. Did I expect too much or am just missing the allure of the fabled 5711?? I wanted to love this watch and waited for a long time to get it. Maybe I got a lemon. Anyone else's experience mirror this?
I was talking to a buddy of mine who is an AD for Rolex, who, when he finally got his hands on a 5711, said exactly what you did: that it's extremely loud, and that the watch felt quite cheap-- almost like a Bulova. His client who brought the watch in to him ended up selling it after keeping it for only a few months.

By contrast, he acknowledged the RO felt much more robust and of great quality.

I can't speak personally to this, as I've not felt a 5711 in person.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:37 AM   #97
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
I was talking to a buddy of mine who is an AD for Rolex, who, when he finally got his hands on a 5711, said exactly what you did: that it's extremely loud, and that the watch felt quite cheap-- almost like a Bulova. His client who brought the watch in to him ended up selling it after keeping it for only a few months.

coming from Rolex you need to have a bit of perspective as to why this was the observation. Chunky and a bit clumsy of a watch. I love Rolex but they are not elegant and when i buy one that is most definitely not the look im going for. So expecting a big hunk of steel in a watch and then you don't get that with a 5711, and you will be disappointed. You might even miss the vastly superior fit, feel, and finish. I like both and try to never compare the two.

A RO bridges that expectation gap better as its bigger and chunkier, minus a 15202.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:57 AM   #98
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would reserve judgement until you see it in the flesh o your wrist.

The strength of the watch is exactly the opposite of what that AD said IMHO. Namely that, for a sports watch, it is an extremely elegant and understated watch with exceptional finishing. The size in terms of diameter and thickness are almost the definition of not loud compared to other sports watches on the market.

The trade-off is that of being extremely thin is that it does not feel heavy and bulky which is something that some buyers equate with value or simply just prefer.

However like dining experiences, not everyone judges the quality of a meal by the size of the portion. Just sort of depends what floats your boat and I don't think there is a right answer so to speak.

The dealer completely looses credibility l, though, comparing the quality to a Bulova. The watch 5711 may not be his cup of tea, but if he can't recognize the quality difference objectively then perhaps he is in the wrong business. I would therefore take basically everything that AD says with a generous pinch of salt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:25 AM   #99
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtinuk View Post
I would reserve judgement until you see it in the flesh o your wrist.

The strength of the watch is exactly the opposite of what that AD said IMHO. Namely that, for a sports watch, it is an extremely elegant and understated watch with exceptional finishing. The size in terms of diameter and thickness are almost the definition of not loud compared to other sports watches on the market.

The trade-off is that of being extremely thin is that it does not feel heavy and bulky which is something that some buyers equate with value or simply just prefer.

However like dining experiences, not everyone judges the quality of a meal by the size of the portion. Just sort of depends what floats your boat and I don't think there is a right answer so to speak.

The dealer completely looses credibility l, though, comparing the quality to a Bulova. The watch 5711 may not be his cup of tea, but if he can't recognize the quality difference objectively then perhaps he is in the wrong business. I would therefore take basically everything that AD says with a generous pinch of salt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:26 AM   #100
tng11
"TRF" Member

After having the 5712 for close to 2 months, it my most worn watch by a very large margin. At first it was a bit strange feeling going from more robust pieces (e.g. Rolex or AP RO), but I've come to really appreciate the thin profile and light weight (without being titanium or carbon light). I can wear it all day without any discomfort, and it seems to drape and melt on to my wrists such that I barely notice I'm wearing a watch during the day (in a good way.) Now, whenever I wear my Daytona, the Daytona feels clunky and clumsy by comparison, which is not necessarily a great feeling when I'm looking for all-day comfort.

The clasp was a bit of a disappointment at first, but you get used to opening and closing it - and once it's on the wrist, it feels very secure. I love that the clasp is kept very thin, which again helps with comfort.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:28 AM   #101
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
coming from Rolex you need to have a bit of perspective as to why this was the observation. Chunky and a bit clumsy of a watch. I love Rolex but they are not elegant and when i buy one that is most definitely not the look im going for. So expecting a big hunk of steel in a watch and then you don't get that with a 5711, and you will be disappointed. You might even miss the vastly superior fit, feel, and finish. I like both and try to never compare the two.

A RO bridges that expectation gap better as its bigger and chunkier, minus a 15202.
Fair point for sure. I can't wait to see one in person so I can form my own opinion. On paper/pics, I would love to be to able to own a 5712.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:34 AM   #102
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair point for sure. I can't wait to see one in person so I can form my own opinion. On paper/pics, I would love to be to able to own a 5712.
of the two i vastly prefer the 12 to the 11. Its way more unique as you don't get a lot of watches with unbalanced dials that work as well.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 15 August 2018, 04:42 AM   #103
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
After having the 5712 for close to 2 months, it my most worn watch by a very large margin. At first it was a bit strange feeling going from more robust pieces (e.g. Rolex or AP RO), but I've come to really appreciate the thin profile and light weight (without being titanium or carbon light). I can wear it all day without any discomfort, and it seems to drape and melt on to my wrists such that I barely notice I'm wearing a watch during the day (in a good way.) Now, whenever I wear my Daytona, the Daytona feels clunky and clumsy by comparison, which is not necessarily a great feeling when I'm looking for all-day comfort.

The clasp was a bit of a disappointment at first, but you get used to opening and closing it - and once it's on the wrist, it feels very secure. I love that the clasp is kept very thin, which again helps with comfort.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 06:17 AM   #104
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
yes!!!!
I find the blue quite underwhelming. I have the white and I love it. The rose is gorgeous too.

You wear a 5711 and it feels just perfect. The clasp sucks however.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 06:18 AM   #105
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

I think this is well stated. I had a little bit of transition pain too which is why the 5711R was the perfect bridge for me. Now I am totally acclimatized and the light as a feather 5164 goes on my wrist straight after my RG 44 and I don't skip a beat.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 08:15 AM   #106
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Love the 5711. Simple , elegant and flies under the radar whiich is very cool to me. Less is more with the 5711.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:44 AM   #107
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Love the 5711. Simple , elegant and flies under the radar whiich is very cool to me. Less is more with the 5711.
You couldn’t have said it better!!
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 05:24 PM   #108
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Well it is a "simple" watch. If you do not like it, it will easily find a new owner.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 07:32 PM   #109
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Agree for sure and love mine but nobody can deny it is one loud watch as in it's rotor noise and the bracelet clasp is pretty awful!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 07:51 PM   #110
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Agree for sure and love mine but nobody can deny it is one loud watch as in it's rotor noise and the bracelet clasp is pretty awful!
I think the case material makes a huge difference to the noise - my 240 rotor (RG) is very loud whereas the 324 (PT) is absolutely silent.
Old 20 August 2018, 08:01 PM   #111
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I think the case material makes a huge difference to the noise - my 240 rotor (RG) is very loud whereas the 324 (PT) is absolutely silent.
Makes sense Russell. I actually don't mind the noise at all and it's part of the charm of the 5711 for me.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 08:19 PM   #112
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

Agree!
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 08:45 PM   #113
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
of the two i vastly prefer the 12 to the 11. Its way more unique as you don't get a lot of watches with unbalanced dials that work as well.
Absolutely agree

I'm still waiting, lusting and obsessing
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 10:08 PM   #114
ragsk
Banned

I wore my 5711 pretty much all weekend. Just super comfortable. Sometimes I don’t even feel it on my wrist which speak volumes. Clasp aside, I think it’s the dogs nuts!
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:09 PM   #115
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

i was in your shoes when i first got my 5711. i thought the clasping system was old fashioned and felt flimsy and cheap. and the dial was hardly the scintillating blue dial i saw in most pics.

however, i grew to love it and the blueness of the dial only appears when the light hits it at the right angle, which i've learnt to appreciate as something special. the clasp still feels a bit flimsy to me tho, but i'm not selling mine anytime soon.
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:19 PM   #116
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my 5524 is way louder than my 5164. Same movement, different metals. So i also tend to agree its a factor.
Old 20 August 2018, 11:20 PM   #117
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
they seem to have addressed it with the 5740G clasp. Lets see how long it takes to trickle down the rest of the line and if they will let you replace the clasp on existing watches. I would for sure.
Old 20 August 2018, 11:42 PM   #118
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer222 View Post
Get a 5711R, totally different experience!
Have to agree with this. Whilst I own a 5990 the 5711 in rose bracelet is stunning
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 01:49 AM   #119
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
they seem to have addressed it with the 5740G clasp. Lets see how long it takes to trickle down the rest of the line and if they will let you replace the clasp on existing watches. I would for sure.
Never, the new clasp is not as slim as the old version - I'm sure it is easier to operate for some but I have no problems with mine at all. Much prefer the old version on my 5711 to the one I tried on the 5740.
Old 21 August 2018, 02:25 AM   #120
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Never, the new clasp is not as slim as the old version - I'm sure it is easier to operate for some but I have no problems with mine at all. Much prefer the old version on my 5711 to the one I tried on the 5740.
this is interesting feedback and I was thinking the same but I have not had an opportunity to handle 5740