The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 July 2018, 10:05 PM   #31
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Forgiveness. It’s the only way. Asking. Way more energy and drama. Do a risk assessment.
I came here for this kind of reassurement. Vroom vroom
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 10:07 PM   #32
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Filing this thread away for another reason I never want to get married.
Can also be filed under “easy ways to end a relationship”
Old 21 July 2018, 10:31 PM   #33
Romeojk
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Good luck with telling her Greg. This is like watching a romantic comedy where you yell at the screen, “just tell her, it’ll only get worse the longer you wait”, cause the guys never fess up early enough when it’s just a little lie, they always wait until they’re caught in some awkward situation that grows worse, the girl finds out, the relationship is over, and then they get back together for a happy ending. Haha.
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 10:33 PM   #34
MinMay
Banned

You gotta tell her...

say "it's a great deal...gonna make money out of it" :)

And she's right about the sportbike....it's because she cares about you and know how dangerous it can be.

done it..almost killed myself. Never again. And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else...no matter how careful you are...it's the other drivers who are careless and stupid. So many idiots out there...
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 10:35 PM   #35
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post
Good luck with telling her Greg. This is like watching a romantic comedy where you yell at the screen, “just tell her, it’ll only get worse the longer you wait”, cause the guys never fess up early enough when it’s just a little lie, they always wait until they’re caught in some awkward situation that grows worse, the girl finds out, the relationship is over, and then they get back together for a happy ending. Haha.
Lmfao I think this “happy ending” is going to involve a newly single gentleman driving off in a C4 corvette, or under it wrenching until I get t to that point
Old 21 July 2018, 10:36 PM   #36
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
You gotta tell her...

say "it's a great deal...gonna make money out of it" :)
Then I’ll have to sell it!!!
Old 21 July 2018, 10:39 PM   #37
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
Then I’ll have to sell it!!!
sure....in 30 years Wouldn't you want her to tell you everything too?
Old 21 July 2018, 10:52 PM   #38
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
sure....in 30 years Wouldn't you want her to tell you everything too?

Honestly having to hide something that makes me happy for fear of her reaction is having me rethink this whole relationship. Plus we had a conversation last night where she ripped me to shreds so I am happy as hell about this purchase regardless of how things pan out
Old 21 July 2018, 11:05 PM   #39
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Honestly having to hide something that makes me happy for fear of her reaction is having me rethink this whole relationship. Plus we had a conversation last night where she ripped me to shreds so I am happy as hell about this purchase regardless of how things pan out
With all due respect to your SO and relationship, it does sound like a red flag. She is "ripping you to shreds" for spending your own hard-earned money (to which she has no legal entitlement) on an old car you're passionate about fixing up? If she feels this entitled to your money now, imagine what things will be like after "I do"
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 11:53 PM   #40
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I would tell her but that’s just me. Better to get her onboard with the idea than have her resent you for it down the road.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:05 AM   #41
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Not judging but if it were me, I’d come clean. Think how you would feel if she made a significant purchase without your knowledge. Great car by the way. Have fun bringing it to life and she’ll come around unless you get a mullet haircut
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:39 AM   #42
Griswald
"TRF" Member

I don't know you or anything about the relationship, but I see red flags all over this. You are 24. You are young, ambitious and responsible. (As far as I can see from TRF postings you make) Ditch the girl. My wife never tells me what to buy or not buy. She does not keep score. I do the same for her. I trust her financial judgement and she trusts mine. We AGREED that we are a couple, a team, but we are both responsible people and we both have our passions, and some are different. My best friends has one of those relationships where his SO MUST be pacified, and she controls everything. It is so far out of whack that he can't purchase anything without her permission, and then she gets her "piece" too, meaning something of equal or higher value. He is always worried about "getting something big or good" for every occasion birthday, mother's day, anniversary...etc. or he will be "in trouble" Find a partner who wants to have fun, and loves you for you, not what you can do for her, I promise it will make you both happier in the long run. I have been married for 20 years this August. I know when I was working on an old land rover and she HELPED me with it and was excited about my passion/hobby she was the one for me. She loved me for me, and not what I could do for her. That said, there is nothing I would not do for her.

Think about it, if this is an issue now, then what does your future hold?

No offense met, just an old fart at 50 who has seen too many divorces and miserable relationships based on poor matches.

Best of luck sir,
Griswald
Griswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:21 AM   #43
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Never disclose!
Though again, my advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt, as at (almost) 27 my longest relationship has been 3 months
Old 22 July 2018, 03:05 AM   #44
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
My dad tends to do this a lot. It usually becomes more drama than it’s worth when he hides purchases from my mom. Eventually the house of cards comes falling down.

Though, you are selling something of yours to finance it and you are storing it off site. I’d say, with those factors you’re good to bring it to her attention and get the green light. No need to hide it from her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 03:13 AM   #45
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I would need to get the money from my wife.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 03:21 AM   #46
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Nah, you shouldn't need to hide anything. For the relationship to work, it's all about trust. If any of you can't trust each other, then it's not going to work.

You have to be happy with your life with or without her. In the end, you need to decide what you want from the relationship. It's very possible she is not the one for you. Why live a miserable life? You two should sit down and discuss the relationship. If she won't allow you to pursue your happiness, then she's not the one.

Relationship is not easy...For me, if f I buy a watch, she gets one too :)

Good luck man...
Old 22 July 2018, 03:37 AM   #47
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Filing this thread away for another reason I never want to get married.
x2
Old 22 July 2018, 07:19 AM   #48
andromeda160
Banned

Well I bought her, will figure out the rest later. If everything doesn’t work out at least I got a sweet car. The trans fluid was nearly empty so I’m hoping the guy didn’t blow the trans. But most likely a few bands burnt out

My pics need to be reformatted ����
Old 22 July 2018, 07:46 AM   #49
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by therolexkingoflv View Post
x2
x3
Old 22 July 2018, 08:48 AM   #50
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I bought her, will figure out the rest later. If everything doesn’t work out at least I got a sweet car. The trans fluid was nearly empty so I’m hoping the guy didn’t blow the trans. But most likely a few bands burnt out

Good. If you got the $$$ and don't have kids or other obligations ahead of that, do what you want.

I mean that. Always do what YOU want in situations like these. I've seen plenty of dudes make all kinds of concessions to appease the "significant other" and then it collapses anyway. So, in that case..it's a double whack.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 08:48 AM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I always tell my wife. She could not care less though. She likes new toys.
Old 22 July 2018, 04:18 PM   #52
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Now I have to come visit! Yours is a zr1 though right?
No, it’s a standard LT1 engine. 1995, 46,000 miles. You’re welcome to visit anytime.

Quote:

TRF law: PICS! Or it didn’t happen
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 08:23 PM   #53
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
When you’re about to buy a car with your significant other? I came across a c4 corvette for a song as it needs a trans rebuild, but it’s too clean to pass up and it’s practically a giveaway. We have a 2 car driveway and when I asked for a sport bike a few months back the answer was no.
You had better come clean and come clean fast, for two reasons!

Trust is a two-way street! If she cannot trust you, you have started a wedge in your relationship. This is one thing that will enable her to use the females favorite card, the "Archeology Card". It will be played every time there is a trust issue or a problem with the car. It is easier to get it over with.

My wife did not want me to get a motorcycle either, mainly because friends had told her how I used to race. She had no problem with my getting a Corvette Convertible, I was surrounded by steel and could not fall down.

Now, for your serious second problem, C4's. Once, you get them sorted out, they run pretty smooth. It is getting there that can cost a few bucks and cause future problems with the other half.

I would join the Corvette Forum, not Forums, and look up C4's. I spent a lot of time over there.

When, you get the tranny out, replace the Opti-Spark Distributor and water pump immediately. The "MORON" that designed that system put the Opti, right next to the water pump. So, if the water pump starts leaking, it gets the Opti-Spark wet. Distributors do not like to be wet, they get cranky. It is also expensive, the parts are, and you have to take the tranny out to get to them.

The '95 C4 I got looked like it was in perfect condition and the oil had been changed every 3,000 miles. Unfortunately, the coolant had not been change and just about everything in the system had to be replaced (reservoirs, hoses, etc.).

You will also have to start replacing the weatherstripping. GM had a special deal with a paper mache company to make weatherstripping, it does not last long, depending on care. You need it to quiet the road noise and protect the electronics.

Replace the oil in the differential.

If your headlights start clacking when they go up or down, usually one of the buffers in the headlight gear has turned to dust. The buffer will usually fix it. They make an after market brass gear to replace the plastic gear which is stock. I usually do, since the gear in the unit is metal. I would prefer not to have plastic engaging against metal. The brass gear is less prone to wear and I would prefer not to have to do it again.

Keep a little lubricant on the antenna when goes up and down, whenever it looks dirty and wipe it off. This will take some of the strain of the plastic strap that moves the antenna up and down.

The good news is, when it is sorted out, it runs without problems. The '95 and the '96 were, in my opinion, well thought out! The '95 was the first year for the basic model with the 13" front disc.

Have fun and good luck!
Old 22 July 2018, 08:29 PM   #54
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
No, it’s a standard LT1 engine. 1995, 46,000 miles. You’re welcome to visit anytime.

TRF law: PICS! Or it didn’t happen
After reformatting idk how large they are, but this is her. Can’t wait to finally get it home. Guy was nice enough to let me keep it there until next Sunday while I figure out where I’m going to put it for the time being. I don’t think I did too bad for $1,500, I think I’ll have about $3,000 into it after a tune up and everything. I plan on doing all the labor myself, maybe pay a few buddies for some of the harder stuff. I dropped a transmission on my pinky a few years back when I was replacing my Tahoe’s and lost function from the second metatarsal up, so I might actually ask for some help pulling unlike last time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5A63CCCC-A68C-44D1-AB3B-0FB9303EF7ED.jpeg (285.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpeg 1C7094A1-E75E-41CB-BBB3-061458414552.jpeg (290.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 22 July 2018, 08:35 PM   #55
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
You had better come clean and come clean fast, for two reasons!

Trust is a two-way street! If she cannot trust you, you have started a wedge in your relationship. This is one thing that will enable her to use the females favorite card, the "Archeology Card". It will be played every time there is a trust issue or a problem with the car. It is easier to get it over with.

My wife did not want me to get a motorcycle either, mainly because friends had told her how I used to race. She had no problem with my getting a Corvette Convertible, I was surrounded by steel and could not fall down.

Now, for your serious second problem, C4's. Once, you get them sorted out, they run pretty smooth. It is getting there that can cost a few bucks and cause future problems with the other half.

I would join the Corvette Forum, not Forums, and look up C4's. I spent a lot of time over there.

When, you get the tranny out, replace the Opti-Spark Distributor and water pump immediately. The "MORON" that designed that system put the Opti, right next to the water pump. So, if the water pump starts leaking, it gets the Opti-Spark wet. Distributors do not like to be wet, they get cranky. It is also expensive, the parts are, and you have to take the tranny out to get to them.

The '95 C4 I got looked like it was in perfect condition and the oil had been changed every 3,000 miles. Unfortunately, the coolant had not been change and just about everything in the system had to be replaced (reservoirs, hoses, etc.).

You will also have to start replacing the weatherstripping. GM had a special deal with a paper mache company to make weatherstripping, it does not last long, depending on care. You need it to quiet the road noise and protect the electronics.

Replace the oil in the differential.

If your headlights start clacking when they go up or down, usually one of the buffers in the headlight gear has turned to dust. The buffer will usually fix it. They make an after market brass gear to replace the plastic gear which is stock. I usually do, since the gear in the unit is metal. I would prefer not to have plastic engaging against metal. The brass gear is less prone to wear and I would prefer not to have to do it again.

Keep a little lubricant on the antenna when goes up and down, whenever it looks dirty and wipe it off. This will take some of the strain of the plastic strap that moves the antenna up and down.

The good news is, when it is sorted out, it runs without problems. The '95 and the '96 were, in my opinion, well thought out! The '95 was the first year for the basic model with the 13" front disc.

Have fun and good luck!
My buddy was telling me the optispark was a bit of an Achilles heel, he also told me it probably wasn’t worth fixing but he had a few friends he knew who would give me my money back, maybe a bit more lol. I do need to get on the vette forums, the purist in me wants to get the trans rebuilt, but I could have it on the road next weekend if I do a trans swap for now. What would you do in my shoes? Trans swap ~ $600 I keep my numbers matching core, or $1,400 to get it rebuilt and R&R’ed. Not sure how much someone would charge to rebuild. I do the work
Old 22 July 2018, 08:37 PM   #56
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
It looks like you have at least 2 problems.

Angry "wife" and a Corvette is not a good combination.

Just look at Paul........................never mind.
Bahahahahaha this comment gets funnier every time I read it
Old 22 July 2018, 10:43 PM   #57
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I’m going to go against the flow. Yeah, you’re not married. But you chose to live together, and that incurs relationship responsibilities. If you were just dating, you’d owe her nothing. But living together is sharing, and sharing includes decisions that involve ongoing additional expenses (getting the POS running, insuring it as a less than 25 y/o drivinga sports car, etc).

If your personal philosophy is to entice women to live with you so you can ignore their feelings and do whatever you want until they decide you’re wasting their time, that’s your call. But, if your intention is a stable lifestyle with someone who has your back, I’d say grow up, man up, and talk to her about the car before it lands in the driveway.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:56 PM   #58
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I’m going to go against the flow. Yeah, you’re not married. But you chose to live together, and that incurs relationship responsibilities. If you were just dating, you’d owe her nothing. But living together is sharing, and sharing includes decisions that involve ongoing additional expenses (getting the POS running, insuring it as a less than 25 y/o drivinga sports car, etc).

If your personal philosophy is to entice women to live with you so you can ignore their feelings and do whatever you want until they decide you’re wasting their time, that’s your call. But, if your intention is a stable lifestyle with someone who has your back, I’d say grow up, man up, and talk to her about the car before it lands in the driveway.
I agree that he should talk to her about it before he buys it. There should definitely be a discussion, but it should be a civil conversation, not one where he gets "ripped to shreds" and is afraid to even bring it up

If a woman (or a male friend) felt comfortable screaming at me, I'd show him or her where the door is
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:05 PM   #59
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

1. My wife couldn’t care less about me buying something without speaking to her. She trusts me implicitly and this is reciprocated by me with her.

2. I wouldn’t be married to her if this weren’t the case.

3. I’d want to be as certain as possible I knew what can of worms I might be opening to get the car right and to be certain I would be comfortable with the commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:06 PM   #60
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I agree that he should talk to her about it before he buys it. There should definitely be a discussion, but it should be a civil conversation, not one where he gets "ripped to shreds" and is afraid to even bring it up

If a woman (or a male friend) felt comfortable screaming at me, I'd show him or her where the door is
We all have differing opinions of what constitues ripped to shreds. Not getting everything you want is ripped to some people. We also don’t know what Greg’s contribution to the argument was.

We do know that last year Greg took a similar approach to his then girlfriend, which ended up in a breakup, followed by a year long destructive drunken stupor. It would seem that taking a responsible, grown up approach would be beneficial based on his past history.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote