The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2018, 05:50 AM   #31
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I doubt they will discontinue. There will be changes, of course, but the Nautilus is a permanent part of their line as is the Calatrava. I see a new 324 SC type movement coming out with a longer Power Reserve, hacking feature and bi-lateral winding. This would not affect the Reference Number as the 5711 went from the 315SC to the 324 SC.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 06:32 AM   #32
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Maybe they will come out with a ceramic bezel 5711
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 06:43 AM   #33
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I’m not sure that’s the case. At all. Were the 5070s or 5970s having trouble selling?
The difference with the 5070 and 5970 is that they were discontinued to move to a new in-house caliber. As I understood it, there was a shortage of supply from Lemania and thus hindering production of those two references.

I don't see the 5711 being discontinued without a successor. Maybe in a larger case, maybe the same case but with an upgraded movement, or something like that.

I really hope they don't increase the case size - I'm not a fan of how they increased the diameter on the 5168.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 06:44 AM   #34
knasman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Maybe they will come out with a ceramic bezel 5711

That made my day!
knasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 07:05 AM   #35
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Some folks here are confusing the ‘reference’ model with the ‘characteristics’ of the watch. Most probably, there will always be a time-only Nautilus. But that doesn’t mean that the reference 5711 will continue. At some point, after changing something in the watch (movement, size, bracelet, clasp, you name it), Patek will end up giving it a new ref and retiring the 5711. BTW, that happens to Rolex too. If someone wants a ‘5711’ brand new from an AD but is not yet on the waiting list, it might even be too late...
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 07:23 AM   #36
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i strongly disagree the 5711 is a cash cow. If patek makes the majority of its watches in PM ( its widely speculated less than 25% of all watches are SS) and then to take one model in SS which which would represent a fraction of total production. Then you factor in its one of the cheapest watches so the margin is not as high especially so vs a simple calatrava in gold and on a leather strap which is much less labor intensive to finish (softer metal and no bracelet).

They would have to sell a lot of 5711's to offset the revenue from one more complicated piece.

The calatrava is the cash cow IMO.

most in demand and most revenue generating watch is different. It could be a cash cow though absolutely if they pumped them out in higher quantities.

Good points
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 07:52 AM   #37
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
The 5711 is the equivalent of their first Nautilus, only with a quick set date, and second hand, if one day they discontinue it they will introduce a similar model to replace it, so the type will never be discontinued, which is a ultra thin Nautilus with time and date, now will they one day make it in another size, 41 or 42mm? Maybe, but I would think not, like the Royal Oak which is best at 39mm, I really think the Nautilus is best at 40mm, and anyways why would Patek discontinue or even change for that matter, the hottest watch on the market? Absolutely no reason to do it, really
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 02:28 PM   #38
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i tend to think they will push the higher priced and more complicated nautilus also. The 5740 was smart as it piggybacks the 11/12 popularity and puts it at a much higher price point. The 5990 is another good move at a higher price, and i would think the 5980 will be back in some white metal.

...or 5711 G or P replacing the SS. Its not the craziest idea. If you are not making more then you might as well sell the same number you are currently selling at 3X the price. People would buy and demand just might equal supply.
Yeah, nobody is buying those PC, I see them everywhere in all the ADs I go and lots of them sitting around, and yet the Nautilus PC I’m sure will be a big hit.

Patek doesn’t want to be another AP but at this point of time the sports models are what people want and I think they can’t help themselves but to leverage the demand by putting in more complications in Nautilus so they can sell at higher prices and offset the lower demand in the traditional PM complication watches.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 07:12 PM   #39
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Not so familiar with Patek practices but it seems both 5711 and 5712 is in need of a movement update with at least hacking seconds and longer power reserve. They seem old fashioned when comparing to Lange movements for example.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 10:53 PM   #40
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Not so familiar with Patek practices but it seems both 5711 and 5712 is in need of a movement update with at least hacking seconds and longer power reserve. They seem old fashioned when comparing to Lange movements for example.
Probably won’t happen any time soon. One of the things I like about Lange is they continue to update their movements.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 10:54 PM   #41
soundserious
"TRF" Member

The question is whether the entry level 5711 in steel will go away, the answer to that is most certainly yes. It makes no sense to keep it around any longer when they could charge double for the same watch in PM and people would still line up for it.
Old 12 August 2018, 02:59 AM   #42
gin@tonic
"TRF" Member

Surely the 5711 draws so many to the brand that commercially it would not be good business sense to discontinue.
gin@tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 11:08 PM   #43
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

I have no doubt the 5711 ref will be discontinued and feel a change is already overdue. I understand Patek drop references just to keep production numbers lower as it fits the ideology of the brand. I have no doubt the 5711 will continue with a new ref, and it will still be a base model Nautilus in steel at a similar price point. I am not sure it matters that much, after all it is a blue or white Nautilus in steel with date everyone really wants not a 5711A or whatever its known as currently.

I do think the recent update to the current blue dial (although tiny) may affect future collectability of the 5711 ref though. Usually such a small dial change would hardly create a ripple, but this is the iconic “blue Nautilus in steel”, any collectors looking at vintage Subs will know what I am talking about. In fact, I am sure there are collectors out there right now that have both blue dial versions already.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:22 AM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
The question is whether the entry level 5711 in steel will go away, the answer to that is most certainly yes. It makes no sense to keep it around any longer when they could charge double for the same watch in PM and people would still line up for it.

I’d bet my house that doesn’t happen.
Old 14 August 2018, 01:50 AM   #45
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

x2
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 08:17 AM   #46
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
The 5711 got a movement update when the 315 SC was replaced by the current 324 SC. The newer movement has a cadence of 28,800 bpm over the 21 something of the 315. The new movement has a slightly shorter power reserve due to the faster beat. otherwise, the movements are the same.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:48 PM   #47
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

This watch has been in production for more than a decade, the next version is long overdue. The price hike makes it nonsensical even at MSRP. So what do you think Patek will do? Just keep raising the price every few years?
Old 14 August 2018, 12:52 PM   #48
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some folks prefer SS to PM. Me included tbh! I do like the 5711R, but not more than the 5711 blue/white.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 01:23 PM   #49
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
This watch has been in production for more than a decade, the next version is long overdue. The price hike makes it nonsensical even at MSRP. So what do you think Patek will do? Just keep raising the price every few years?
I think they will make minor updates in the next few years and continue to make the SS 3 hand nautilus under a new reference number.

I agree the prices are insane but that’s the nature of all Pateks.
Old 14 August 2018, 01:51 PM   #50
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I think the rule of thumb is as follows for art as it does watches....life is short. Buy things that take your breath away. The 5711a blue, 5711a white and 5711r all take my breath away with sheer beauty. If they get discontinued or the price goes down I still get blown away every. single. time.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 08:19 AM   #51
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Highly unlikely. Maybe a slightly different iteration.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 05:49 AM   #52
TR6
"TRF" Member

Watch: me do this
https://uhrforum.de/threads/patek-ph...r-2020.422061/
TR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 10:59 AM   #53
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote: