The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Elvis_23
"TRF" Member

Looking to buy a first Patek Philippe

Hello guys!

For the last couple of months I’m seeking to buy my first PP.
I like 5980 and 5990 on SS but I understand that it will be very hard to find at AD. Also I don’t want to pay more than a retail price.

So I’m thinking to look for two tone or full gold nautilus (5980,5711,5740☺️) or maybe a gold aquanaut.

Is it possible to find this models at AD in Europe and US or I need to wait for a couple of years as for a stainless steel models?

Thanks in advance!
Elvis_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 02:37 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_23 View Post
Hello guys!

I like 5980 and 5990 on SS but I understand that it will be very hard to find at AD. Also I don’t want to pay more than a retail price.

So I’m thinking to look for two tone or full gold nautilus (5980,5711,5740☺️) or maybe a gold aquanaut.

Is it possible to find this models at AD in Europe and US or I need to wait for a couple of years as for a stainless steel models?

Thanks in advance!
Hello and welcome

First off 5980 in SS is discontinued and no longer available at msrp. Current 5980 options are full gold bracelet and two tone.

5740 unless you’re a very good customer forget it. No new customers will be getting an allocation.

5711/1R you might be able to source from an AD but it’s likely going to take some serious hunting and swindling. In the past 6 months they seem to have moved above msrp on the secondary.

Aquanaut in RG is by far the most accessible and should be fairly easy to source with some phone calls. Maybe...maybe even a small discount.

If you’re seeking the white gold aquanaut then forget that as well. Those too are very tough to source.

Of course as always everything available on the secondary for a price.
Old 18 August 2018, 03:11 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i would get the 5990 and you cant get a 5980 in SS from an AD anymore as its discontinued. I would not go to my 2nd tier selection as it makes no sense to not get what you really want. Be patient and you will get one, they are not nearly as difficult as a 5711. They are all great watches, but go for the ones you really want.

As above... 5740 isnt happening, no way.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 03:12 AM   #4
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
If you just want something easy to get, rose gold aquanaut is probably the one.
Old 18 August 2018, 03:13 AM   #5
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Hello and welcome

First off 5980 in SS is discontinued and no longer available at msrp. Current 5980 options are full gold bracelet and two tone.

5740 unless you’re a very good customer forget it. No new customers will be getting an allocation.

5711/1R you might be able to source from an AD but it’s likely going to take some serious hunting and swindling. In the past 6 months they seem to have moved above msrp on the secondary.

Aquanaut in RG is by far the most accessible and should be fairly easy to source with some phone calls. Maybe...maybe even a small discount.

If you’re seeking the white gold aquanaut then forget that as well. Those too are very tough to source.

Of course as always everything available on the secondary for a price.
I couldn't have said it better myself...^^^...

Except not so sure you still could find small discount on the 5167R....... If it's true then it GREAT....!!!

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 03:35 AM   #6
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
All sound advice already — if it were me — I would sit back and just wait for the market to start leveling off. It will - it always does. When...who knows. PATIENCE is the key right now.

Now is not the time (IMHO) to try to ‘force’ a purchase - or overpay.

But — do shop around — especially if you travel — there ARE watches out there - if you can find them...

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 04:36 AM   #7
Elvis_23
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your replies.

I have a good relationship with most premium watch dealers except the Patek.
Few years ago I had a choice to get or AP RO Chrono or 5712 and I choosed AP��*♂️
5980 & 5990 In my top and I will try to find them first but you never know what offer you can get in next moment.
Two months ago I was traveling in Italy and searching for a two tone Daytona with diamonds and what was the surprise when I can’t find it but dealer(I never visit him before) offer me a new Root Beer with good discount and tax free.
So I believe in miracles.
Elvis_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 06:32 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As none of them are easy to get now, save the TT, I would just wait for the one you want the most which looks like the 90.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 01:20 AM   #9
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Kern Jewelers in Burlingame have a 5167R available for sale. FYI
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 01:29 AM   #10
ragsk
Banned

Why is the 5740 so hard to get? I know its new but its not a limited edition so there must be a waiting list that one can try to get on to?

I mean it cant be harder than a blue 5711 for example?
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 01:44 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Why is the 5740 so hard to get? I know its new but its not a limited edition so there must be a waiting list that one can try to get on to?

I mean it cant be harder than a blue 5711 for example?
Lower production and all the whales and greys will want one. I believe it will def be harder to get than a 5711 blue. Way less production.

It’s not like the royal oak as Patek doesn’t make anywhere near as many high dollar sports options like AP does. If you want the top dog in production sports Patek...that is it.

With AP you have a laundry list of choices (which is nice).
Old 19 August 2018, 02:51 AM   #12
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_23 View Post
Hello guys!

Thanks in advance!
Unlike others who have replied I am the eternal optimist and if you can establish a relationship with a local family run AD and are prepared to wait a number of years I would try for a 5740 if this is truly the piece you want - never give up the dream.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 02:56 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Lower production and all the whales and greys will want one. I believe it will def be harder to get than a 5711 blue. Way less production.

It’s not like the royal oak as Patek doesn’t make anywhere near as many high dollar sports options like AP does. If you want the top dog in production sports Patek...that is it.

With AP you have a laundry list of choices (which is nice).
plus its the first grand comp in a nautilus. I still dont think it should be called one, but whatever. Its also new so its automatically hot. Plus its awesome.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote