The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2018, 11:00 PM   #1
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Birthday present to me - 5167R ?

Hi all,

I've read lots of posts / reviews about the Aquanaut, and with my 50th birthday in a few weeks, would like to congratulate myself with something a bit special and different to what I already have, but still something I could wear everyday.

Have a number of ideas all rose gold (5167R, Yachtmaster or Daytona both on Oysterflex) - and currently have a GMT BLNR, Sub Smurf & PP Gondolo in the collection amongst some other pieces from Tudor, Heuer and Seiko - but given this is the Patek forum - will ask on my questions around the 5167R, as I have the possibility to purchase a new one from a non-AD and before dropping what for me would be a sizeable amount - want to be sure its right for me.

- Is PP rose gold softer than Rolex white gold, and is the bezel of the Aquanaut really a "scratch magnet" ?
Day to day wear and tear micro scratches as you find for example on a clasp would not irritate me as these are hardly noticeable when you glance at the time.

- I work in an office but travel weekly abroad (different timezones and I use the GMT). I'm not into DIY but when in the gym I don't remove my watch for example. Reading that the watch is not as robust as say a Sub, am I being naive to think I can wear a PP "sports" watch to do . . . well . . . . sport ?

- The tropic strap does not seem to offer much in the way of ventilation - does it make your wrist sweat anymore than say a leather strap ?

- Having never seen a 5167R in the flesh so only looking at pictures - the dial looks really clean and legible as the old eyes are starting to go and I need glasses for reading most things now - is this indeed the case - and will I still be able to see the date without a cyclops ?

Any other tips / advice other than stop worrying about it and wear it in good health ?

Cheers
FC
Flying Clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:37 PM   #2
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

if u travel weekly, then get the 64R.
it'll be an easier to use than ur BLNR.
plus, looks a helluva lot better!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:39 PM   #3
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Birthday present to me - 5167R ?

Patek RG is amazing. Buy it - wear it in good health and enjoy it.

Any scratches can be removed during service.

(I second the 64R though — the 64 is my favorite daily Patek) — and the ‘R’ just makes it BETTER!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:49 PM   #4
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
64 is wayyyy too much imo and is much heavier and thicker. My 67R is so comfortable and just exudes class ! The band is great- no sweat problems. Yes the 67r is a scratch magnet but seems to be less so than my SS 5711 and 5726. The best part is that your 67r will hold its value while you enjoy it and actually appreciate imo. You can always get your money back if you don’t like it , if you buy it right, but you won’t want to!Buy it , you won’t regret it.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:17 AM   #5
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Thanks all.

I would not get rid of the BLNR and find it very easy to read - plus I don't like the dial on the 5164 - just too busy for me and would never see the date !
I have read that the biggest issue is that you can accidentally change the time set by the pushers ?

The dial on the 5167 just looks clean and uncluttered.

I saw a newer thread today suggesting that given the lack of adjustment on the tropic strap, you should have two straps for summer and winter as the wrist expands and contracts ?

How much are new straps ?
Does the new 5968 orange strap fit the 5167 ?
Old 18 August 2018, 12:27 AM   #6
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
As a daily wear and taking it to the gym, the watch will likely taking a beating and get scratched up fast. The bezel is a scratch magnet. If this doesn’t bother you then go for it.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:20 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
67R is a great choice with the Rolexes you already own and the golds are the same, however as the brushed bezel is more exposed I would take care to keep it looking as pristine and gorgeous as you can and use the Rolex for the harder yards.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 03:41 AM   #8
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
To the OP......

Go for the 5167R..... It look great, no doubt about it.....

Patek Philippe gold is not any softer than Rolex gold....

Yes, the bezel of the Aquanaut is scratch magnet so is the clasp too.... You only need wrist awareness on those two parts......

As for the strap don't cut it too small..... Cut it for the summer size that way you could wear it all year around, the watch grips the wrist well during winter even the strap a littler larger....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 04:05 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

First off i love the aquanaut. Its one of my favorite watch designs of all time. However in PM i would be hesitant as a SS bezel is hard enough to keep looking good and its a sporty watch meant for swimming, traveling etc where as a 5711R isnt to the same extent, so its a weakness in the PM aquanaut but not Nautilus.

Secondly there is no question for me oysterflex is a better rubber strap. Its softer (fact) and its more flexible (fact) which to me makes it more comfortable, and on some models it has a micro adjustment.

I would get a OF yacht master (which i have) or a OF daytona. If it was a 5164A i would get the Patek.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 04:35 AM   #10
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

just get it!

tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 05:48 AM   #11
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
just get it!

Beautiful.

I think it would look great too with the orange strap from the 5968.

Will look great on Koningsdag :D
Old 18 August 2018, 05:57 AM   #12
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
First off i love the aquanaut. Its one of my favorite watch designs of all time. However in PM i would be hesitant as a SS bezel is hard enough to keep looking good and its a sporty watch meant for swimming, traveling etc where as a 5711R isnt to the same extent, so its a weakness in the PM aquanaut but not Nautilus.

Secondly there is no question for me oysterflex is a better rubber strap. Its softer (fact) and its more flexible (fact) which to me makes it more comfortable, and on some models it has a micro adjustment.

I would get a OF yacht master (which i have) or a OF daytona. If it was a 5164A i would get the Patek.
Thanks for the different view - interesting to read and understand what your saying about the adjustment on the bracelet. But assume if you get a good fit first time - your all set, as I don't ever need to adjust any of my bracelets.

My wife has a Cartier Santos steel and gold. The bezel on that is yellow gold and saw only this evening that looking really close up with my glasses on all the fine micro scratches. But nothing that made me take a sharp intake of breath. So assume this would be similar.

Ultimately - I need to get to the shop 250km away and try it on.
Old 19 August 2018, 03:08 AM   #13
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know if the orange tropic strap from the new 5968 would fit the 5167 ?
Old 19 August 2018, 03:21 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Clog View Post
Does anyone know if the orange tropic strap from the new 5968 would fit the 5167 ?
no i dont think so, but even if it did AD's are probably not going to order you one as you need to own the watch it goes on. Its really hard to get a blue strap for a 5164 too.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 August 2018, 05:18 AM   #15
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
no i dont think so, but even if it did AD's are probably not going to order you one as you need to own the watch it goes on. Its really hard to get a blue strap for a 5164 too.
I think Rolex are the same when I asked about putting an Oysterflex on a new rose-gold GMT CHNR, although I would have thought if your willing to pay the money for a new strap . . . . .
Old 19 August 2018, 05:46 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Clog View Post
I think Rolex are the same when I asked about putting an Oysterflex on a new rose-gold GMT CHNR, although I would have thought if your willing to pay the money for a new strap . . . . .
i have mixed feelings. Its like when you go to a high end restaurant and they say "no substitutions". The chef created a dish and its an art form and its intended to be served a certain way. Swapping out this for that ruins the creation.

You can get straps but they are not going to make it easy for sure.
Old 19 August 2018, 05:51 AM   #17
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
5167R a great watch. The strap is perfection. I think anyone who wears one with any regularity would have to admit the bezel scratches really easy. It can be fixed perfectly at service every five years. But be ready to embrace the scratches! Love 5167 in both strap variants.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 07:05 AM   #18
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the advice. Very much appreciated.

The watch in question is at a reputable dealer (non-AD) who bought the watch from an AD. The watch is new, still in the box and up for sale at a non-negotiable EUR33.5k.
Old 19 August 2018, 08:06 AM   #19
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I would agree with Tyler , I think in this case I would go w the RG yachtmaster If you plan to travel with it and not take it off your wrist for workouts. If you just stick w your BLNR for Travel (which is my go-to Travel watch), then I would go w the 5167r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 02:13 PM   #20
SW1
Banned

116655 for me....tbat 5167R suts at AD's
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 07:13 PM   #21
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

So went down to Maastricht yesterday to the non-AD watch dealer that have the 5167R for sale. Sorry for the out of focus iPhone foto !

I have to say I was super impressed. Good weight but no where as heavy as my 116619LB and very comfortable. Strap had been cut already and I think I could possible remove one more notch.

I expected the dial to be quite matt almost rubberised like the strap but it was stunning. Changed hues in the sunlight.

Good legible time even with my reading glasses off too !

Did I buy it ?
Not yet.
Its up at EUR33.5k which is the price of a new one from an AD - assuming you can find one, and thats not an insignificant amount to throw on a watch. So am going to use today to think it through, look around the market and see what else is available nearer the 30k mark and make a decision.

Thanks all for the advice so far !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk