The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 8 March 2020, 01:23 AM   #1021
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I think we need to do our due diligence by washing hands and so forth. I'm a borderline germaphobe. Won't shake hands while out eating, don't touch door handles, push buttons with my knuckle, wash my hands every half hour and so forth. But I've always don't that.

But I feel that closing these events and canceling things like my meeting is going over board. I don't like others dictating how I live my life and what I do. It's just not in my nature. Eventually the ripple effect in local economies is going to be felt by this. And you don't get back what you lose. I'm very disappointed in the people who are living their lives in fear over what is right now no good reason and that fear effecting the rest of us.
Agree to an extent. And of course I too grow weary of sleazy headlines that dramatize and repeat everything, every minute of every day. But there is a flip side also.

The Spanish Flu was an example of under reacting, partially intentional in order to preserve morale for the war effort. The media was muzzled and some were prosecuted for even talking about the risks of having exposed soldiers parade with large groups of people. The result was disastrous.

The pendulum always keeps swinging. The key is to try to not over or under react. But unlike a fine Swiss movement, there is often little balance or accuracy with human beings.

The the profit motive to hype this in order to sell copy is bad. Equally bad is an motive to diminish a true risk for the sake of keeping the economy going.

So for I now, I remain undecided. But lean toward deferring to what the doctors say.
Old 8 March 2020, 01:29 AM   #1022
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Elbow tap for me. No joke.

I’ve even started bowing.

I felt horrible all day yesterday. So I stayed in last night and got some rest. Feel much better this am. I’m hopeful to not get sick.

I wonder what it would be like if the media started tracking the flu. Or cases on adult onset type 2 diabetes.

We design and build distribution centers. We had a verbal on a nice project. But they aren’t getting product from overseas so they put it on hold.

Other customers are ramping up their ability to move product more efficiently and and with less staff. One of my large off price sellers is talking about a massive project because they expect to get super busy.

I am really on the fence with how bad this really is vs how bad we are making it.
Don't get me wrong but if there's one positive outcome from all this problem is the lack of physical contact. I have no problem with a strong handshake with my buddies of course but random people at work not so much. Who knows where the heck the guy just put his hand before shaking mine. May have just used the toilet and not washed his hand. May have hand sweat. I mean. I really don't like to touch people so now I have a good reason not to without being rude.
Old 8 March 2020, 01:32 AM   #1023
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I hate handshakes anyway especially by Doctors who should know better. I am a germaphobe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Don't get me wrong but if there's one positive outcome from all this problem is the lack of physical contact. I have no problem with a strong handshake with my buddies of course but random people at work not so much. Who knows where the heck the guy just put his hand before shaking mine. May have just used the toilet and not washed his hand. May have hand sweat. I mean. I really don't like to touch people so now I have a good reason not to without being rude.
Old 8 March 2020, 01:44 AM   #1024
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I hate handshakes anyway especially by Doctors who should know better. I am a germaphobe.
I know what you mean. I'm not afraid of germs but in general it's disgusting.
Old 8 March 2020, 02:28 AM   #1025
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
You never know where our hands have been.
Old 8 March 2020, 02:37 AM   #1026
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
I work for one of the largest consulting firms in the world, we make our money by traveling to client sites and providing advice, on-site. We just suspended all international and domestic (US) travel “unless critical” in which case would still require many levels of approval. This will definitely adversely affect our business and our clients who are companies and governments around the world.

They also told us we cannot attend any meeting that has 50 or more people, anywhere, internal or external. All group training cancelled too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2020, 02:50 AM   #1027
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

If you’re in the exam room there’ll always be some hand sanitizer nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 8 March 2020, 03:04 AM   #1028
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I went to the NYC GTG last night and met lots of great people but for precaution gave them the forearm or elbow handshake. Rob put purell on each table.
Old 8 March 2020, 03:18 AM   #1029
austinp
"TRF" Member

I'm at a volleyball tournament with thousands of people. Not worried.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2020, 03:39 AM   #1030
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I spent the afternoon licking the turnstiles in the NYC subway to see if I could boost my immune system.
Old 8 March 2020, 03:47 AM   #1031
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I spent the afternoon licking the turnstiles in the NYC subway to see if I could boost my immune system.
Lol. Gross. The news crews are probably down there running tests.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2020, 03:51 AM   #1032
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Can I have your TRF prize Limited Edition Rolex Green 1150 lumen Olight Flashlight if that turns out badly?

Old 8 March 2020, 03:54 AM   #1033
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
I went to the NYC GTG last night ... Rob put purell on each table.

Man that stuff is like $20 per dose now.

What did Rob use on the drawing’s metal disks?

Between the Tudor draw and later BLNR draw that disinfecting process seemed to take an hour or more...

Old 8 March 2020, 03:57 AM   #1034
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
If I was 40 and in good health, I don't think I would be so bothered, but I'm not, I'm over 60 with COPD and other complications with my health. If the Angel came knocking at my door, it's a fair chance that she would be leaving with me. I will take notice of the medical advice given, I wont be a hermit but will give some thought to my movements and activities.

My thinking is that if this was nothing and just a over reaction from the media then why are so many major world leaders and their medical agencies giving daily briefings? Am I bothered about the stock market? Not in the least.

DAVE

Old 8 March 2020, 04:26 AM   #1035
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
If I was 40 and in good health, I don't think I would be so bothered, but I'm not, I'm over 60 with COPD and other complications with my health. If the Angel came knocking at my door, it's a fair chance that she would be leaving with me. I will take notice of the medical advice given, I wont be a hermit but will give some thought to my movements and activities.

My thinking is that if this was nothing and just a over reaction from the media then why are so many major world leaders and their medical agencies giving daily briefings? Am I bothered about the stock market? Not in the least.
Everything you say is in my opinion smart and correct.

That said, I think world leaders, to a certain extent, are acting as they are because if they don't and things go bad, they will be held responsible.

I genuinely believe they are hedging their bets.

Not demeaning the risk. But I do believe this.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 8 March 2020, 04:47 AM   #1036
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Can I have your TRF prize Limited Edition Rolex Green 1150 lumen Olight Flashlight if that turns out badly?

Yes Steve please make Paul my backup in case this plan proves foolhardy.
Old 8 March 2020, 06:06 AM   #1037
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I just read an article that talked about a cruise ship currently quarantined.

A prior passenger age 70 had it and sadly died.

2 passengers on the next cruise have it and 17 crew members. No mention of the rest of the other cruise goers from the prior trip.

Why? Imho, because none of them got sick. But with 17 crew members infected, you can bet a huge amount of passengers are too.

This is a bad flu. Many get it. Some don’t even know while some get it bad and perish. Others still get a little sick and get better.

I have had the flu a few times. One time in particular I was a wreck. Couldn’t lift my head off the pillow for a few days. The other times I was a little sick.

I think everyone is focusing on how many are infected and the spread. Which is understandable. But truly it appears that this is panic for the sake of panic.

Just because someone gets it doesn’t mean a whole heck of a lot. I’m betting the mortality rate is minuscule when comparing to all the people that likely have it but aren’t being reported.

Old 8 March 2020, 06:29 AM   #1038
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

I think until they have a vaccine in the final process of approval, the best bet is to limit spreading the virus.

I feel for the 19 cruise ship victims. It would seem to me that tendering them to shore under “Ebola-like” protective suits and transport to a top class med facility would be a safe and effective path to treatment.

Then wait to see if the remaining thousand+ are clear via testing so the ship can eventually dock.

Old 8 March 2020, 06:31 AM   #1039
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
It was on local news that money (paper) could spread corona virus....use credit cards.
Old 8 March 2020, 06:32 AM   #1040
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think until they have a vaccine in the final process of approval, the best bet is to limit spreading the virus.

I feel for the cruise ship victims. It would seem to me that tendering them to shore under “Ebola-like” protective suits and transport to a top class med facility would be a safe and effective path to treatment.

Then wait to see if the remaining thousand+ are clear via testing so the ship can eventually dock.

Agree. Hopefully a vaccine is on the horizon.

Old 8 March 2020, 06:35 AM   #1041
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
It was on local news that money (paper) could spread corona virus....use credit cards.
Yes, this is correct. CCP burned all notes in affected regions as well. Federal Reserve is also reducing cash exposure in APJ.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 8 March 2020, 07:12 AM   #1042
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
I want to help, everyone send me all their cash...
Old 8 March 2020, 07:56 AM   #1043
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I want to help, everyone send me all their cash...
Old 8 March 2020, 08:54 AM   #1044
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Agree. Hopefully a vaccine is on the horizon.
I heard on the news (Radio, NPR) this morning that there is a vaccine already made, and ready for testing, but it will take a year and a half for it to be ready for the masses, due to testing. They are going to ask for 1000 volunteers in Seattle for the 1st phase of trials, if I recall.

Also this afternoon heard reports that 19 have died form this in the US now :(
Old 8 March 2020, 08:57 AM   #1045
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

I feel for the 19 cruise ship victims. It would seem to me that tendering them to shore under “Ebola-like” protective suits and transport to a top class med facility would be a safe and effective path to treatment.

From the live press conference today.

"developed a plan which is being implemented this weekend to bring the ship into a non-commercial port. All passengers and crew will be tested for the coronavirus and quarantined as appropriate. Those that require additional medical attention will also receive it."
Old 8 March 2020, 09:05 AM   #1046
77T

That could be easier on the ones who are ill. We have to trust the medical staff will take maximum precautions.

Old 8 March 2020, 09:28 AM   #1047
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Huge conference in Toronto cancelled that was to take place in June. Devastating to the local economy there.
Old 8 March 2020, 10:01 AM   #1048
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
So I had to look up these cruise ship itineraries.

I was in Lahaina, Maui with my wife on 2/20. The boat in the photo below is the Star Princess (verified the cruise line itinerary).

If this photo was taken a week later, it would have been the Diamond Princess with all of the infections (they would have been asymptomatic at the time). This boat is currently being held off the coast of CA and is now a cesspool for COVID-19.

As far as I was aware, the ship passengers disembarked the Star Princess while we were in Lahaina.

My wife and I were concerned with them having coronona and left.

Close call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2020, 10:02 AM   #1049
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Also, my wife’s huge industry conference in Denver was just officially cancelled.

Just got Rage Against the Machine tickets for MSG in September. Hoping concerts are still a thing then.
Old 8 March 2020, 10:14 AM   #1050
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
This excerpt from the below article is interesting: "Since last month’s ban on certain civets, bats, marmots — and pangolins — searches for what wild animals can still be eaten have been trending on Chinese social media. “Are bullfrogs still available?” “How about deer?” “And quail? Or quail eggs?”

NYT: Coronavirus: Revenge of the Pangolins?
China has banned the trade of wildlife, suspecting that exotic animals infected humans. What will that really do?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/o...pangolins.html

This article explains how the virus can "jump" from bats to humans:

WSJ: What We Know About the Coronavirus, From Symptoms to Who Is at Risk
Health officials are worried about a growing number of cases outside China

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-we...us-11579716128
Closed Thread