The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 31 January 2023, 08:34 PM   #31
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
I commend you on sticking to your gut/conviction to be direct and ask her outright. You’ve read all the recs given here and are still inclined to ask her, which says something. And I’m realizing with your character and conduct that this will be respected and appreciated by the SA, who clearly likes you and will advise you as best she can. Then you weigh your options and make your decision. Ultimately, you do you and you’ll make the best decision for you.
Thank you. At least I know what I’m walking into so whatever decision I make, good or bad, will be an informed one.

I’ll be honest, I kind of feel like I’d be disappointing my SA and she has clearly been nothing but good to me. It may be silly but it bothers me.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:28 PM   #32
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
I contacted the SA and asked her what she thought. She appreciated and thanked me for my transparency but recommended that I not sell it as it might negatively affect headquarters’ desire to to allocate this RO to me as well as future watches. The fact we are within a year of its initial purchase is certainly a key factor.

So now I have to choose if I buy it and then sell the ROO after and accept I will probably ruin future allocation opportunities, which may or may not be good depending on whatever SA I end up with back in the US, or I pass on it.
The yachtmaster will only get me approx 10K and although I could try to sell my DSSD (I love this watch and bought is at grey for MSRP), I’m not sure how close that would get me. Only reason to go this route would be to sell the ROO in a year or two and then buy another DSSD again haha. Seems feasible I guess although a bit silly.. how many RO’s does one need anyway?!? Would I really need more than a silver ROC and a Blue RO?

#SILLYFIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS
You have a great and transparent SA.

I'd sell the YM and DSSD. This should get you close to the value of the RO.
You can always get another DSSD later even from an AD as there is less demand for it.
I have ROC 50th and recently got 15510. The 15510 is simply awesome, so I can highly recommend it.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:30 PM   #33
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I can help you....I will buy the 26240 at retail from you and I won't say a peep....seriously!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:50 PM   #34
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I can help you....I will buy the 26240 at retail from you and I won't say a peep....seriously!
Haha, you mean the one watch mentioned that isn’t considered for sale? Seems like a reasonable offer!
Old 31 January 2023, 10:06 PM   #35
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
You have a great and transparent SA.

I'd sell the YM and DSSD. This should get you close to the value of the RO.
You can always get another DSSD later even from an AD as there is less demand for it.
I have ROC 50th and recently got 15510. The 15510 is simply awesome, so I can highly recommend it.
This. YM and DSSD aren’t special - they can already be found at pretty good prices, and things will likely just get worse.

I think you’ll regret passing on this. Will you really regret parting with the DSSD?
Old 31 January 2023, 10:42 PM   #36
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
This. YM and DSSD aren’t special - they can already be found at pretty good prices, and things will likely just get worse.

I think you’ll regret passing on this. Will you really regret parting with the DSSD?
The YM is small and while a great watch it just never clicked with me unfortunately so I totally agree.

The DSSD is actually a great watch in my opinion, fits me well but I totally agree with you that compared to the AP’s it’s not particularly special. It’s also a true tank which men’s sits a great option when I want to do some of the more reckless things In life like running with the bulls, skydiving, or spending a month training in Korea etc..

To complicate my decision, my wife prefers the ROO to the DSSD because it’s on the other spectrum with the ROC on one end as more dressy and the ROO as a very manly well fitting watch for someone my size. She says the DSSD fits between the two and doesn’t jump out. She has a datejust so she can appreciate watches for what they are even if the history some of us appreciate means nothing to her.

The problem is that I wore the DSSD more than the ROO so while maybe less special, I’m trying to be careful I don’t decide based on “rarity” or a companies status as much as what I truly want.
I guess I’m quite opposite so many of the recent threads about “which one hold its value most”…

I do acknowledge I’d regret passing on the RO so now it’s a matter of finding out how.
I took the advice of many and reached out to one of the grey dealers here to see what I would get for the DSSD - unfortunately it’s well worn so possibly not much.
Old 31 January 2023, 10:59 PM   #37
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
The YM is small and while a great watch it just never clicked with me unfortunately so I totally agree.

The DSSD is actually a great watch in my opinion, fits me well but I totally agree with you that compared to the AP’s it’s not particularly special. It’s also a true tank which men’s sits a great option when I want to do some of the more reckless things In life like running with the bulls, skydiving, or spending a month training in Korea etc..

To complicate my decision, my wife prefers the ROO to the DSSD because it’s on the other spectrum with the ROC on one end as more dressy and the ROO as a very manly well fitting watch for someone my size. She says the DSSD fits between the two and doesn’t jump out. She has a datejust so she can appreciate watches for what they are even if the history some of us appreciate means nothing to her.

The problem is that I wore the DSSD more than the ROO so while maybe less special, I’m trying to be careful I don’t decide based on “rarity” or a companies status as much as what I truly want.
I guess I’m quite opposite so many of the recent threads about “which one hold its value most”…

I do acknowledge I’d regret passing on the RO so now it’s a matter of finding out how.
I took the advice of many and reached out to one of the grey dealers here to see what I would get for the DSSD - unfortunately it’s well worn so possibly not much.
Yeah that’s tough no doubt. Where values matter is this situation right here - when you can’t afford em all right now but you want to end up with em all. DSSD will be there quite easily. So I’d say if you can live without it for a year or however long you want, I’d just sell the DSSD and YM. I don’t think you’d put much money on top of it
Old 1 February 2023, 06:36 AM   #38
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
For me it depends on how much of a grail the blue dial is for you. I am like 5 watches deep with AP now in the US and have yet to be offered a blue dial so if going forward you will start a new relationship in the US it may take years and many purchases to get a blue RO again.
If I were offered a watch by AP at a time where I would have to sell others I would weigh up the watch vs the potential of losing the relationship and see which I care about more.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 06:40 AM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Don’t you have a kidney you can sell?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 08:35 AM   #40
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
You’re a good man. I was gonna offer to buy the 15510 at retail from OP instead
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 10:33 AM   #41
chaucer
"TRF" Member

It seems like you are attached to the DSSD and are more or less indifferent towards the ROO. If you say you’re selling the ROO do you think the boutique will pull the 15510 offer?
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 11:12 AM   #42
seadubs
"TRF" Member

take the 15510 no matter what. there is a good chance you will not connect with your new sa and its considered a grail piece for many!
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 12:16 PM   #43
ase_sbhwatch
"TRF" Member

Your SA confirmed what I mentioned above. I would not count on this opportunity being presented to you again in another year. The comments from this forum are coming from 2 groups: those fortunate enough to have been allocated a 15510 blue; those still on the waitlist who would give their right arm to have your opportunity. The consensus from the collector community is unanimous: pull the trigger! You will not regret it. You’ll only regret the ones that got away — particularly a grail piece such as this.
ase_sbhwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:06 PM   #44
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Think most would agree the YM and DSSD should go for this. Both easily obtained in the future if you desire whereabouts the AP is a cointoss
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 09:13 PM   #45
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Don’t you have a kidney you can sell?
Two actually! Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
You’re a good man. I was gonna offer to buy the 15510 at retail from OP instead
Sometimes the generosity on this forum is incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaucer View Post
It seems like you are attached to the DSSD and are more or less indifferent towards the ROO. If you say you’re selling the ROO do you think the boutique will pull the 15510 offer?
It’s possible they will but I could certainly wait to sell it in the near future once I purchase the 15510 if I choose to. I feel dishonest with the idea but it’s an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadubs View Post
take the 15510 no matter what. there is a good chance you will not connect with your new sa and it’s considered a grail piece for many!
Absolutely - certainly something I’m concerned about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase_sbhwatch View Post
Your SA confirmed what I mentioned above. I would not count on this opportunity being presented to you again in another year. The comments from this forum are coming from 2 groups: those fortunate enough to have been allocated a 15510 blue; those still on the waitlist who would give their right arm to have your opportunity. The consensus from the collector community is unanimous: pull the trigger! You will not regret it. You’ll only regret the ones that got away — particularly a grail piece such as this.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Think most would agree the YM and DSSD should go for this. Both easily obtained in the future if you desire whereabouts the AP is a cointoss
Also true. I got a quote for the DSSD but it’s a little less than I could justify selling it for knowing I’d like to buy it again later…. But damn it is tempting.
Old 1 February 2023, 10:02 PM   #46
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Blue dial 15510 isn’t something to miss out on. Like many have said in other boutiques you could be waiting years or never get one at all. AP’s blue is special, is by far and away the best colour to me, much more than the green even.

100% sell the yachtmaster and DSSD and there shouldn’t be a huge difference to step up to the 15510. If you find that you really miss the DSSD down the line then it’ll be a piece you’ll get from a Rolex AD pretty easily or on the grey market for a near retail price.
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 10:12 PM   #47
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
If I were you, I would be already on the plane to Tokyo.
I have 15510 silver and had the chance to compare it to the blue dial.
The blue is less dynamic, it does not reflect light like the silver dial.
But it is a gorgeous color.
The proportions and ergonomics of 15510 is so good that I want to get another one.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 06:04 AM   #48
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
If I were you, I would be already on the plane to Tokyo.
I have 15510 silver and had the chance to compare it to the blue dial.
The blue is less dynamic, it does not reflect light like the silver dial.
But it is a gorgeous color.
The proportions and ergonomics of 15510 is so good that I want to get another one.
I’m probably flying there Friday night just to turn back around Sat afternoon..
I do love my silver ROC - you’re absolutely right about how it catches the light.
The only time I tried the blue 15510 was in a really dark area of a boutique in Taiwan so I suspect some hesitancy may derive from that interaction. I hope that changes this weekend when I go look at it.
Old 3 February 2023, 02:58 AM   #49
Overwatch
"TRF" Member

Just do it soldier. Go get your blue dial.
Overwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 08:48 AM   #50
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

I would get the blue 15510 immediately and do whatever you have to do to afford it (sell anything and everything else). I wouldn’t worry about future allocations bc if you had to sell the other prices for this, wouldn’t future allocations also put a strain on you financially? Most important thing about watches is to only buy what you can afford to lose, and assume values won’t go up in the long term. The blue 15510, however, worst case scenario will always hold its value imo
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 05:10 AM   #51
Champagnepapi
"TRF" Member

I would get the blue RO 100%. AP announced it will start its own CPO program this year. Depending on their terms, and worst comes to worst, you might be able to sell them back the ROO and not hurt future allocations. Then again, it’s a risk since we don’t know what their terms and conditions will be when they launch..
Alternatively, I’d sell the rolex because AP blue RO> any rolex… (just my 2 cents). Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Champagnepapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 04:23 PM   #52
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

I’d like to say thank you to all of you who offered their thoughts.
Late Friday I flew to Tokyo and Saturday I met my SA.
As many of you already knew, it was too hard to pass so I ended up purchasing the 15510 and I would have been in and out of the store in 15 minutes had it not been for a great conversation with my SA for the next 45 mins. In the end I had to leave so I could catch my flight back to Okinawa a few hours later.
As always, a great experience and while I certainly won’t be able to afford another one anytime soon I don’t mind.

My SA again thanked me for my transparency and while it was obviously my choice she recommended keeping the ROO for at least 2 years from purchase before selling - even then there’s never a guarantee.

I reached out to one more trusted seller to see what they would offer for my AP and 2 Rolexes.
I absolutely want to keep the DSSD but understand I could purchase another later on if I wanted, and that selling the ROO would limit future AP’s - even if it wouldn’t be anytime soon.
That said, since I’ll be moving it’s impossible to know if I’ll even become this lucky again… so who knows.

I think I will insure all 3 AP’s with Hodinkee/Chubb since I’ll be moving this summer anyway and let’s face it, I’m a Marine - we aren’t known for being dainty haha.

No thread is complete without pics. Not great quality but it’s a gloomy day here.

Well… belay that, I’m having issues with tapa..
Pics will have to wait, I can’t get tapa to take anything.

Old 5 February 2023, 04:41 PM   #53
Armis
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, it’s great to read you were able to make it happen!
Looking forward to a couple of wrist shots.
Wear them all in good health.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 05:30 PM   #54
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the low resolution- tapa is having issues and I can’t find an image resizer I don’t have to pay for (I don’t post pics enough to justify it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6E80ABE2-9832-4A7E-A85E-D791196D7106.jpeg (77.0 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpeg 755FE0B2-1FEF-4FDA-A412-B0C20FFB9203.jpeg (89.8 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpeg 0163E108-3C9E-41EB-9748-C60DC2E4BA45.jpeg (84.6 KB, 323 views)
Old 5 February 2023, 06:32 PM   #55
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Big congrats Right decision for definite.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 06:40 PM   #56
dauster
"TRF" Member

Nice huge congratulations definitely right decision.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 08:02 PM   #57
noobs
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your 6
congrats! such a beautiful dial
noobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 08:53 PM   #58
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Congrats, definitely the right decision! Looks great!
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 10:16 PM   #59
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Good move, this is the perfect RO for larger wrists and the blue dial is stunning. Did you consider the green dial to wear for work?

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 10:36 PM   #60
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Good move, this is the perfect RO for larger wrists and the blue dial is stunning. Did you consider the green dial to wear for work?

Thank you. I have only seen pics of the green dial and it didn’t really jump out at me. Seemed too dark to me but I also am not as much a fan of green as I am the blue.
I told the SA I was interested in any 15510 but a preference for blue or black since I have the silver ROC. Couldn’t turn down the offer.