The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 April 2023, 01:46 AM   #1
Joker78
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 50th Tudor BB
Paneristi forums

Hello all,

I was just curious if someone could direct me to the paneristi forums? I am looking to get involved in the Panerai brand and I think between that and this forum i can start to educate myself.

Thanks
Joker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 02:46 PM   #2
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Paneristi.com used to be an amazing place at an amazing time. Sadly that website I believe shut down and turned to a Facebook page. So try there perhaps
Old 16 April 2023, 06:17 PM   #3
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

It’s now here. Sadly with very little participation since the move from Tapatalk
https://535dc5c6be9a-005851.vbulleti...ssage%22%5D%7D
Old 16 April 2023, 11:07 PM   #4
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Paneristi.com on FB is one of the few groups to join amongst several others on there.
Old 17 April 2023, 12:38 AM   #5
Greglaw
Banned

It is a shame, it was a wonderful community for a long time. Something happened and it faded quickly, basically a few people showed up as new members, a few older ones who remained engaged in arguments with each other over nonsense, and poof, the old members who made it such a great place were long gone. What a shame, but, Panerai may have done it to itself with the Brooklyn Bridge fiasco and other disappointments.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2023, 06:23 AM   #6
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I see a disproportionate percentage of Paneristi logo’d Panerai on trusted seller and gray sites. It seems the bloom has come off the rose entirely.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 09:14 AM   #7
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It’s over…

Last time I was at a boutique the staff there was happy paneristis were fading out…too picky.

I for one am concerned about their future.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 04:05 PM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It’s over…

Last time I was at a boutique the staff there was happy paneristis were fading out…too picky.

I’ve said for a long time that Panerai can’t just make watches for a couple of thousand nutters! They need to be mass-market to survive. Do I like their new pieces? No, I have 3 old-school watches. Do I think they’re doing anything wrong? No, their watches suit the people they’re selling to. Their marketing however is slightly odd, but we might need to blame the translator!
Old 19 April 2023, 04:10 PM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Just to add, I dropped out of Paneristi FB group when a few members starting showing unpleasant war memorabilia & other such unmentionables.
I joined this small group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1720...436/?ref=share

Around 900/1000 members all with a passion & very little bs.
Old 20 April 2023, 07:42 AM   #10
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

This forum is the only online Panerai group I’ve ever interacted with. Not too active but calm. I too have three older Panerai, have never purchased one new. Don’t expect to. Plenty in the back catalogue left to pursue.
Old 20 April 2023, 08:16 AM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I remember when they switched the forum set up. It was really hard (for me) to navigate. And then a bunch of people seemed to move to FB. And then I stopped following.

TRF is the only Panerai chat I need.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 04:08 PM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
This forum is the only online Panerai group I’ve ever interacted with. Not too active but calm. I too have three older Panerai, have never purchased one new. Don’t expect to. Plenty in the back catalogue left to pursue.
A man of great taste
Out of interest what are your 3?
Old 20 April 2023, 10:49 PM   #13
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
A man of great taste
Out of interest what are your 3?
PAM 111, 510, 564. A little redundant perhaps but I keep them all on different Cordes custom straps for different moods. My goal is one more, a PAM 061, so I will have matched sets of ETA and in-house movements in steel and titanium. It’s a sickness but I’ve had worse.
Old 20 April 2023, 11:34 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

TRF is the only Panerai chat I need.
Same.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 07:31 AM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PAM 111, 510, 564. A little redundant perhaps but I keep them all on different Cordes custom straps for different moods. My goal is one more, a PAM 061, so I will have matched sets of ETA and in-house movements in steel and titanium. It’s a sickness but I’ve had worse.
Nice collection. A sickness it may be, but the medicine’s good
Old 26 April 2023, 09:21 AM   #16
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It’s over…

Can confirm

From what i've seen/heard the Paneristi were a great community and marketing tool for the Brand, but a lot of the OG members got too big for their boots and start expecting the brand to cater to ONLY their tastes

I'm on the FBook group and while its a decent community, its pretty obvious there is a defined gap between the OG members and the newer ones based on the watches they own/buy
Old 27 April 2023, 01:07 PM   #17
cjs
"TRF" Member

I am not on Facebook and have always prided myself for that. I do how we notice the drop in dialogue and perhaps passion for Panerai. I didn’t understand it until reading this thread. I kinda get it but not entirely. I love the brand and the style. I got hooked and now have a 212, 217, 233, 317, and 799. I miss the new threads and people wanting to genuinely appreciate the brand and the different models!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2023, 03:18 AM   #18
kobe34
"TRF" Member

I can say that the paneristi vibe is pretty alive in Instagram. Tons of paneristi accounts. Particularly popular in Asia.
kobe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2023, 02:03 PM   #19
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs View Post
I am not on Facebook and have always prided myself for that. I do how we notice the drop in dialogue and perhaps passion for Panerai. I didn’t understand it until reading this thread. I kinda get it but not entirely. I love the brand and the style. I got hooked and now have a 212, 217, 233, 317, and 799. I miss the new threads and people wanting to genuinely appreciate the brand and the different models!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well frequented forums are slowly dying
I'm shocked TRF is as well frequented as it is in 2023
Migration to a social media platform (of some kind) is, unfortunately, inevitable when you consider the cost and maintenance of running a traditional forum
Old 19 May 2023, 12:37 PM   #20
Russellw3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve said for a long time that Panerai can’t just make watches for a couple of thousand nutters! They need to be mass-market to survive. Do I like their new pieces? No, I have 3 old-school watches. Do I think they’re doing anything wrong? No, their watches suit the people they’re selling to. Their marketing however is slightly odd, but we might need to blame the translator!
Those couple of thousand nutters, as you call them, are what made the brand.
They build the brand and brought new people to the brand. Without them there is no Panerai.

This brand is currently a shell of its self. No longer hot and instantly selling out pieces. All brands should take note, this is what happens when you get away from your base.
Russellw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 01:46 PM   #21
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellw3 View Post
Those couple of thousand nutters, as you call them, are what made the brand.
They build the brand and brought new people to the brand. Without them there is no Panerai.

This brand is currently a shell of its self. No longer hot and instantly selling out pieces. All brands should take note, this is what happens when you get away from your base.
The issue is, those nutters weren't buying enough watches
Its all well and good to "bring people to the brand" but if they don't spend any money regularly you go out of business

You can plant your flag on hill of "we made you what you are" but all the Paneristi have done in the last 5-10 years is bitch about the good old days while buying vintage pieces or new ones from Grey Dealers for a significant discount

Panerai is in the business of selling watches, they wouldn't have discontinued all the 47mm, simple designed, Bettarini cases that the Paneristi keep screaming for if they were actually selling.

I've asked this question of Paneristi a couple of times, but, what was the last Panerai you bought, brand new, from an AD (that wasnt a Bronze variant)?

I've said it before but, appealing ONLY to your core audience is a recipe for long term disaster.
If all you do is cater to a couple of thousand hardcore fans, without evolving, those nutters age out, your core market dies of old age and you dont have a customer base anymore

Don't believe me?
Go look at Harley Davidson and see how their lack of evolution and customer growth worked out for them?
Old 19 May 2023, 03:56 PM   #22
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Its all well and good to "bring people to the brand" but if they don't spend any money regularly you go out of business

You can plant your flag on hill of "we made you what you are" but all the Paneristi have done in the last 5-10 years is bitch about the good old days while buying vintage pieces or new ones from Grey Dealers for a significant discount

Panerai is in the business of selling watches, they wouldn't have discontinued all the 47mm, simple designed, Bettarini cases that the Paneristi keep screaming for if they were actually selling.

I've asked this question of Paneristi a couple of times, but, what was the last Panerai you bought, brand new, from an AD (that wasnt a Bronze variant)?

I've said it before but, appealing ONLY to your core audience is a recipe for long term disaster.
If all you do is cater to a couple of thousand hardcore fans, without evolving, those nutters age out, your core market dies of old age and you dont have a customer base anymore

Don't believe me?
Go look at Harley Davidson and see how their lack of evolution and customer growth worked out for them?
Absolutely this.
Old 19 May 2023, 04:49 PM   #23
Pam1086
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't believe me?
Great post.
Pam1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 06:02 PM   #24
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't believe me?

Exactly this. Well said.
The Paneristi who believe that a watch should only be 47mm and have xyz without buying any watches is what killed it.
Panerai had to get with the times, and that meant smaller watches which more people are comfortable wearing.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 10:22 PM   #25
Russellw3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:

Don't believe me?
Since you used Harley Davidson, Ill use Porsche as an example.

Porsche's #1 seller is the Cayenne followed by the Macan, call them new customers to the brand. They both out sell the next car by almost double digits. That 3rd car is the 911.

The 911 is Porsche. It brings customers to the brand, Its Porsche's base, the enthusiast. Guys don't hang pictures of Macans on the wall. They don't have Macan rallies. Let me drive my Macan up the valley. No its all about the 911.

Panerai is much the same company. Sure you should have new model's that bring
guys to the brand ( Cayennes and Macans). But you should never stray away from the base (the Paneristi or 911). When you get away from the base you cease to exist. This is Panerai's current situation.
Russellw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 05:14 AM   #26
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I see a disproportionate percentage of Paneristi logo’d Panerai on trusted seller and gray sites. It seems the bloom has come off the rose entirely.
I wonder if the Paneristi SE watches are more prone to be faked? I saw a couple of the blue logos, Pam364 I think, for sale without papers. It seems to me that documentation would more likely be saved on a watch with only 500 units in existence.
Brazen331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 05:17 PM   #27
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellw3 View Post
Since you used Harley Davidson, Ill use Porsche as an example.

Porsche's #1 seller is the Cayenne followed by the Macan, call them new customers to the brand. They both out sell the next car by almost double digits. That 3rd car is the 911.

The 911 is Porsche. It brings customers to the brand, Its Porsche's base, the enthusiast. Guys don't hang pictures of Macans on the wall. They don't have Macan rallies. Let me drive my Macan up the valley. No its all about the 911.

Panerai is much the same company. Sure you should have new model's that bring
guys to the brand ( Cayennes and Macans). But you should never stray away from the base (the Paneristi or 911). When you get away from the base you cease to exist. This is Panerai's current situation.
Seeing as you brought up Porsche...

The 911 brings to the table driving dynamics that aren't replicated by any other type of sports car, where a Panerai will tell time just as well as any other out there, so its not fair to comparison (although I'll admit its tempting considering Porche haven't really changed their design language in 60 years either...)

To your initial point, though, Porsche almost went broke in 1992 and had to evolve to attract new customers
Its actually the Boxster and a move to Water Cooling that saved the company.
Then, all the "Porsche Purists" got their nickers in a knot and swore they'd never buy a mid engine or water cooled Porsche cause it wasnt "a true Porsche" (is this starting to sound familiar?)
Meanwhile, the move attracted new customers, saved the brand from bankruptcy and kept them alive long enough to release the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera (again, sending the purists into a Hissy Fit)
Then, once they'd figured out how to not only sell a "Sports Car" to the 40 something accountant (The Boxster), but his wife as well (The Macan), they had so much money coming in it allowed them to further develop the 911 (and GT program).

"Purists" only buy posters and you need to sell more than posters to keep your lights on
Old 27 May 2023, 10:36 PM   #28
chrissimons
"TRF" Member

I feel a little bit worried by Panerai. I bought mine for the design and overall simplicity, added the reliability through the years to come and the ability to have it repaired even in 30 years. I'm probably overthinking, but the disparition of the Paneristis and forums added to the fact that the brand seems only to want money (water resistance reduction...etc) doesn't bring me confidence for the future.

Are there any information available about the production and financial results of Panerai in the recent years ? I found some about Richemont, but no details about the brands inside the group.
chrissimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 11:36 PM   #29
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

It’s no shock or shame that a business is in it for the money, especially a business with a corporate conglomerate parent. Panerai made too many watches too fast and in doing so they committed the cardinal sin of a luxury brand, they made their product ubiquitous. Now and in recent years they have been struggling to pivot and get a toehold while still remaining relevant. There are some lovely new Panerai models that I would be happy to own, the loveliest of which reference their legacy models which are considerably less expensive on the secondary market. I just can’t bring myself to spend $12K on a Panerai when so many classics are available for $6K. I can’t be the only one. Therein lies Panerai’s struggle.
Old 28 May 2023, 12:32 AM   #30
chrissimons
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s no shock or shame that a business is in it for the money, especially a business with a corporate conglomerate parent. Panerai made too many watches too fast and in doing so they committed the cardinal sin of a luxury brand, they made their product ubiquitous. Now and in recent years they have been struggling to pivot and get a toehold while still remaining relevant. There are some lovely new Panerai models that I would be happy to own, the loveliest of which reference their legacy models which are considerably less expensive on the secondary market. I just can’t bring myself to spend $12K on a Panerai when so many classics are available for $6K. I can’t be the only one. Therein lies Panerai’s struggle.
Agree with you, except that on some points the money research seems to be the first for Panerai, whereas many businesses wants to bring something in with their products and then only need money.

I have also seen some of the ambassadors missing from Panerai website, they may have stop some contracts (Guillaume Nery and Jimmy Chin).
chrissimons is offline   Reply With Quote