The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 May 2023, 05:04 AM   #121
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Maybe off topic, but this picture reminded me of it…

Does anyone else fell as I do the NHL should require full face masks are are in college?
No way. They are uncomfortable. They have mandated shields for guys that came into the league but I can't remember what date. Guys like Ryan O'Reilly who wear nothing are being phased out.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dynamite_Kid19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 06:55 AM   #122
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Of course they are uncomfortable, players said the same thing about helmets when they were first mandated; they adjusted. IMHO, I think they should do the same for shields. It would save a lot of injuries, and that young player several years ago even lost an eye.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 04:30 PM   #123
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Go Knights Go! Sorry about your Canadian brethren Brian, but I’m stoked we’re moving on!

Now we have to see if it’ll be Dallas or Seattle losing the conference finals…
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 05:53 PM   #124
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
If Seattle wins Dallas in game seven, we have three potential new Cup champions.

Seattle
Florida
Vegas

Canes have one Cup.

Biggest surprise to me was the elimination of Bruins.

As a Finn, I'm rooting for anyone but Vegas as they don't have Finnish players. :D
Old 16 May 2023, 12:44 AM   #125
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Agreed. They need some grittier forwards who play heavy.

Florida pulled off the miracle against Boston and I figured they’d handle Toronto.

Im taking taking the Carolina Hurricanes to go to the cup.
Toronto is in a really difficult spot, due mostly to the GM giving out stupid contracts. AND they threw all the marbles at 4 players which handicapped the ability to have a supporting cast.

Right now they are at the blow it up, or patch it up stage and even if they wanted to move a couple of the Core 4, either their contracts are too high or they have no movement clauses kicking in.

I think they need to clear house in the front office, see if Mathews wants to stay past next year, and move out at least one of the soft 4. The overpaying for Tavares is such a mess I'm not sure how you get out of it. But the writing on the wall that this was a soft team has plagued them for a number of years, but they didn't do anything about it.

Sharp GMs realize this stuff early and bite the bullet and make changes. Look at Boston with Joe Thornton. They realized they'd never win with him and got rid of him. And he never did win anything.

Edmonton is close but still too reliant on the top 2 players. And they needed a goalie.

I think for the rest of the playoffs, the best goalie will probably determine who wins the cup because all of the contenders can play team D.
Old 16 May 2023, 12:57 AM   #126
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Toronto is in a really difficult spot, due mostly to the GM giving out stupid contracts. AND they threw all the marbles at 4 players which handicapped the ability to have a supporting cast.

Right now they are at the blow it up, or patch it up stage and even if they wanted to move a couple of the Core 4, either their contracts are too high or they have no movement clauses kicking in.

I think they need to clear house in the front office, see if Mathews wants to stay past next year, and move out at least one of the soft 4. The overpaying for Tavares is such a mess I'm not sure how you get out of it. But the writing on the wall that this was a soft team has plagued them for a number of years, but they didn't do anything about it.

Sharp GMs realize this stuff early and bite the bullet and make changes. Look at Boston with Joe Thornton. They realized they'd never win with him and got rid of him. And he never did win anything.

Edmonton is close but still too reliant on the top 2 players. And they needed a goalie.

I think for the rest of the playoffs, the best goalie will probably determine who wins the cup because all of the contenders can play team D.
Glad to see you made it back from purgatory

I agree, it’s a mess. IMHO, I’d deal Matthews in the off season while his stock is still relatively high provided he doesn’t have a no trade clause.

I realize that won’t be a very popular opinion…. but we could probably get a decent third line for what he will command next contract

As for the teams left in this race, I’m going with Carolina as they can roll their lines and wear you down. That said, Bobrovsky can steal the show … so I wouldn’t look past Florida.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 01:04 AM   #127
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Glad to see you made it back from purgatory

I agree, it’s a mess. IMHO, I’d deal Matthews in the off season while his stock is still relatively high provided he doesn’t have a no trade clause.

I realize that won’t be a very popular opinion…. but we could probably get a decent third line for what he will command next contract

As for the teams left in this race, I’m going with Carolina as they can roll their lines and wear you down. That said, Bobrovsky can steal the show … so I wouldn’t look past Florida.
Thanks. I was at a one week hair dressing seminar.

I think Matthews NMC kicks in on July 1st. Toronto needs to do everything before July 1 because I think Marners kicks in then too.
Old 16 May 2023, 01:05 AM   #128
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks. I was at a one week hair dressing seminar.

I think Matthews NMC kicks in on July 1st. Toronto needs to do everything before July 1 because I think Marners kicks in then too.
You're right ... we are screwed

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2023, 01:19 AM   #129
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This is a pretty good article about the contracts....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...act-scenarios/

Maybe all the front office of Toronto is moving to Calgary .....https://www.bladeofsteel.com/Calgary...osition-236650
Old 16 May 2023, 01:24 AM   #130
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is a pretty good article about the contracts....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...act-scenarios/

Maybe all the front office of Toronto is moving to Calgary .....https://www.bladeofsteel.com/Calgary...osition-236650
Careful Calgary … you might not like what you wish for
Old 16 May 2023, 01:38 AM   #131
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Careful Calgary … you might not like what you wish for
Could be an interesting about face.

Calgary a team with a lot of toughness and no stars.
Old 16 May 2023, 07:26 AM   #132
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
My Red Wings will win it all!!!!!!!

ahem….
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 08:55 AM   #133
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Correct. Marner and Mathews kick in 7/1. Tavares has 1 and Nylander has a 10 team no trade list and the Dubas promise he won't trade him...as long as he's GM.

Old 16 May 2023, 08:56 AM   #134
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
My Red Wings will win it all!!!!!!!

ahem….
From your lips brother to God's ears!

Old 16 May 2023, 09:18 AM   #135
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Go Knights Go! Sorry about your Canadian brethren Brian, but I’m stoked we’re moving on!

Now we have to see if it’ll be Dallas or Seattle losing the conference finals…
Congratulations Steve, well deserved

I’m a believer in that team
Old 16 May 2023, 09:19 AM   #136
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite_Kid19 View Post
Correct. Marner and Mathews kick in 7/1. Tavares has 1 and Nylander has a 10 team no trade list and the Dubas promise he won't trade him...as long as he's GM.

Can we get rid of the GM?
Old 16 May 2023, 09:19 AM   #137
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOA View Post
Watching highlights of Bedard I thought the WHA stick had more flex than I've seen with sticks in the the NHL. Is that my imagination?

What we’re seeing with sticks is pretty fascinating.

Back years ago with wood sticks and through the aluminum and early composite sticks players shot the puck with their top hand close to their body. If you wanted flex 10 years ago you leaned your body and put weight on your bottom hand and got flex and speed from that.

Now all these young guys in the last few years learned or figured out that if you move your top hand away from your body and create the flex with both hands pushed down and forward and use your body weight. Guys are getting shots up to 90 MPH with this method, where before the only way to get that was with a slap shot.

You can order your sticks with various amount of flex. And all these guys are using the flex now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 45D04609-8C2B-4584-9FDF-7A59EAAFCE7F.jpeg (125.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 16 May 2023, 09:21 AM   #138
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Back years ago with wood sticks and through the aluminum and early composite sticks players shot the puck with their top hand close to their body. If you wanted flex 10 years ago you leaned your body and put weight on your bottom hand and got flex and speed from that.

Now all these young guys in the last few years learned or figured out that if you move your top hand away from your body and create the flex with both hand pushed down and forward. Guys are getting shots up to 90 MPH with this method, where before the only way to get that was with a slap shot.

You can order your sticks with various amount of flex. And all these guys are using the flex now.
If they wore a Rolex while playing that would be the ultimate flex
Old 16 May 2023, 09:23 AM   #139
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ha. He said it's either Toronto or he's taking time off. My opinion is the core 4 are too similar. Need some skill who will get dirty. Everybody wants a Tkachuk but not a lot of guys out there like that but they need skill players who will get inside the dots and battle. Perimeter play and pretty passes doesn't work in the playoffs. Earlier in the season someone went at Mathews and he just wilted and I think Bunting had to fight his fight for him. Not committed. They need a Tyler Bertuzzi or 2 but their cap situation is not good. The Matt Murray trade was so weird to me because he is never available. Now they are stuck with him where a Samsonov/Will tandem would be cheaper/better.

Old 16 May 2023, 09:25 AM   #140
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Now all these young guys in the last few years learned or figured out that if you move your top hand away from your body and create the flex with both hands pushed down and forward and use your body weight. Guys are getting shots up to 90 MPH with this method, where before the only way to get that was with a slap shot.

It's crazy how many of them use a low flex like 70 or 75 with the strength they have. Bedard and Matthews like the curl it in towards your body and rip a snap shot to change the angle, going a little old school.

Old 16 May 2023, 09:28 AM   #141
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think he’s probably gone. You can’t do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

Obviously he expected the cap to go up considerably, and thought paying 4 players half the cap would cure itself. But he should have realized by now that these 4 are not playoff performers. They just don’t have the character and even size to elevate their game when the going get tough. Marner and Nylander especially.

And the Tavares contract is 5 million too high. This was the first year he looked good but still too much money.

It’s a mess because it’s really hard to move these contracts, and with no movement clauses kicking in….
Old 16 May 2023, 09:32 AM   #142
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If they wore a Rolex while playing that would be the ultimate flex
I think there are a lot of guys that would get them in the corner, beat them up and skate away with their watches.

Then we’d have to bring back the out of work enforcers.
Old 19 May 2023, 02:53 AM   #143
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’ll root for the leafs with you since they aren’t playing VGK right now and I’d love to see an American/Canadian Final. Long as the Oilers aren’t the Canadian team LOL

Looking forward to game 5!
Looks like your Vegas team now has a good as shot as anybody to win it all.

The remaining 4 teams look pretty equal and it may just come down to hot goaltending.

Good luck. Things will get pretty crazy in Vegas if they win. A great fan base.
Old 19 May 2023, 04:46 AM   #144
Carguy87

Quote:
Looks like your Vegas team now has a good as shot as anybody to win it all.

The remaining 4 teams look pretty equal and it may just come down to hot goaltending.

Good luck. Things will get pretty crazy in Vegas if they win. A great fan base.
Thanks Blansky! Goaltending is always a huge factor this late in the season. We’ve gone through so many goaltenders this year who knows. Hill looked great in net for the back half of the Oilers series so hopefully he stays hot, and we keep the rest of the skaters healthy. We also have to stop taking stupid penalties. Having guys get suspended for boarding and slashing with intent to injure away from the play isn’t how we’ll win the Cup.

Would love to be in Vegas if we make it to the finals though! It’ll be a hell of a party!
Old 19 May 2023, 06:16 AM   #145
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks Blansky! Goaltending is always a huge factor this late in the season. We’ve gone through so many goaltenders this year who knows. Hill looked great in net for the back half of the Oilers series so hopefully he stays hot, and we keep the rest of the skaters healthy. We also have to stop taking stupid penalties. Having guys get suspended for boarding and slashing with intent to injure away from the play isn’t how we’ll win the Cup.

Would love to be in Vegas if we make it to the finals though! It’ll be a hell of a party!
I'm thinking game one in both series won't mean a whole lot as they feel each other out and shake off some cobwebs. But after that....
Old 19 May 2023, 09:00 AM   #146
Carguy87

Quote:
I'm thinking game one in both series won't mean a whole lot as they feel each other out and shake off some cobwebs. But after that....
I just know that truthfully Dallas has consistently looked sharper than us in previous meetings, so we need to ensure we don’t squander the home ice advantage we have. If we aren’t winning in the Fortress it’ll be a scary prospect for the remainder of the series. Glad we get started soon! Hopefully that extra game Dallas had to play against Seattle means they’ll start the series a little worn down. Time will tell.
Old 20 May 2023, 03:36 AM   #147
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Anybody make it through all of game 1 in the ECF?

Old 20 May 2023, 03:40 AM   #148
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite_Kid19 View Post
Anybody make it through all of game 1 in the ECF?

Nope. I bailed at the end of regulation. And just checked the score.

That's gotta hurt to play almost 5 extra periods. More so for the Hurricanes though.
Old 20 May 2023, 03:43 AM   #149
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope. I bailed at the end of regulation. And just checked the score.

That's gotta hurt to play almost 5 extra periods. More so for the Hurricanes though.
I saw about 10 mins of 1st period. My son has sleep issues and wakes up really early, his waking up was about 30 mins after the goal so I almost made the end lol.

I'd love to play a game that long. Obviously not NHL playoff hockey but I play in a 3 hr game yearly for charity and I wish it was longer. I played a tournament weekend and between a Thursday-Sunday I played 6 games for the tournament and a Sunday night game in another league. Of course that was the game we only had 4 other players so I played the whole game.

Old 20 May 2023, 04:00 AM   #150
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Well … good riddance Mr Dubas.

Now can someone please sort us out?