The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 May 2023, 12:59 AM   #1
buddenfan
Banned

Is the M.A.D.1 blue worth getting?

I sourced one for $7100 and am wondering if its worth getting. I love all sorts of watches from classic to vintage to funky and out there. Max Busser is a genius but the MB&F line is out of my reach (for now lol)

I am a bit conflicted on the watch however. On one end I love it but on the other end I am wondering if it will feel like a fidget spinner on my wrist.

For those who have it tell me whether you love or or are meh on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0348.jpeg (50.1 KB, 515 views)
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 01:09 AM   #2
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
I sourced one for $7100 and am wondering if its worth getting. I love all sorts of watches from classic to vintage to funky and out there. Max Busser is a genius but the MB&F line is out of my reach (for now lol)

I am a bit conflicted on the watch however. On one end I love it but on the other end I am wondering if it will feel like a fidget spinner on my wrist.

For those who have it tell me whether you love or or are meh on it.
As you can tell from my posts, I am an avid MB&F fan and love my MAD One. However, it is what it is. And it is not a $7100 watch, if you really like the design, you should try your luck at the next raffle. At 2000 CHF for the blue, it is a good value but not at 3x the original price. And the only special attribute for the blue MAD one is that it is only for MB&F owner. If that is important to you, you should use the extra $5000 you would spend toward getting a used MB&F so you can order the blue edition directly from MB&F.

With that said, the MAD One is a lot of fun to wear and created this addiction of mine for moving parts on the dial other than a second hand. (Tourbillon, balance wheels, fidgets, etc )
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 01:11 AM   #3
vliberman
"TRF" Member

This is art. You either like it or not. Only u can determine wether this is fidget spinner. Don’t worry about others.

I for one love it. Not many brands do something like that. To me that is special. And u get to test drive for relatively small sum of money. If u want to test drive bulldog, u would have to spend 100k.

Classical watchmaking is over saturated with great offerings. This gives u window info something new.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 01:25 AM   #4
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

I really think there great fun to wear. I have the Red. The Red has a different crown than the Blue and costs around $3000 if you get the chance to purchase. It’s definitely worth the price at 3k but I also can’t see it at $7000. Wow, secondary markets are weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 02:17 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Sometimes the Great Wisdom of Ferris Bueller is the only way it makes sense.

If you have the means....

wristscan_7247161_edited.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 02:26 AM   #6
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

Attachment 1367149
Love the addition of the goggles in that picture

I reached out to Constantin at MB&F and he told me that I can expect mine in late August. I cannot wait to get my hands on that watch

To the OP. I was in Geneva last summer and I spent half a day with the folks at MB&F. I can tell you that they think anything above retail is nonsensical for this specific watch. I am with llngoc in terms of how to get one of these. Keep trying the raffle. I think that the folks at MB&F really enjoy the engagement and will keep doing going forward with different colors. Sourcing the Miyota movement for these watch is pretty easy for them.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 03:30 AM   #7
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
As you can tell from my posts, I am an avid MB&F fan and love my MAD One. However, it is what it is. And it is not a $7100 watch, if you really like the design, you should try your luck at the next raffle. At 2000 CHF for the blue, it is a good value but not at 3x the original price. And the only special attribute for the blue MAD one is that it is only for MB&F owner. If that is important to you, you should use the extra $5000 you would spend toward getting a used MB&F so you can order the blue edition directly from MB&F.

With that said, the MAD One is a lot of fun to wear and created this addiction of mine for moving parts on the dial other than a second hand. (Tourbillon, balance wheels, fidgets, etc )
Wouldnt even a used MB&F run upwards of 100k? The most expensive watch currently in my collection is my rose gold DayDate 40 Olive Green dial which is only half the price of a used MB&F

Winning the raffle is prob a fraction of a chance… by the way when is the next raffle?

Also does the MAD watch always spin perpetually as you walk with the watch on your wrist?
Old 15 May 2023, 03:31 AM   #8
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
Love the addition of the goggles in that picture

I reached out to Constantin at MB&F and he told me that I can expect mine in late August. I cannot wait to get my hands on that watch

To the OP. I was in Geneva last summer and I spent half a day with the folks at MB&F. I can tell you that they think anything above retail is nonsensical for this specific watch. I am with llngoc in terms of how to get one of these. Keep trying the raffle. I think that the folks at MB&F really enjoy the engagement and will keep doing going forward with different colors. Sourcing the Miyota movement for these watch is pretty easy for them.
These raffles get 20,000+ people so it feels like winning one is almost impossible. Since the raffle was 2 months ago wont the next one be next year?
Old 15 May 2023, 03:52 AM   #9
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
These raffles get 20,000+ people so it feels like winning one is almost impossible. Since the raffle was 2 months ago wont the next one be next year?
Raffles are done annually. I didn’t get picked 2 years ago and I also didn’t get picked on the first draw in this year’s raffle. And then out of nowhere I got an email from MB&F offering me one and I jumped on it. You never know.

Third option is to wait and see if the economy goes into a recession. Prices may drop further
Old 15 May 2023, 05:48 AM   #10
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Raffles are done annually. I didn’t get picked 2 years ago and I also didn’t get picked on the first draw in this year’s raffle. And then out of nowhere I got an email from MB&F offering me one and I jumped on it. You never know.

Third option is to wait and see if the economy goes into a recession. Prices may drop further
The economy has slowly been going into a recession and Watch prices in the grey market keep going up
Old 15 May 2023, 06:35 AM   #11
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The economy has slowly been going into a recession and Watch prices in the grey market keep going up
Really? The MAD 1 Blue was going for $20k a year ago. The red edition was about $15k. I was at my local Patek AD last week for an initial visit and 3 of the 6 watches that I want including Aquanaut could be delivered by the end of the year if I committed to a certain spend. Everything I see is that the watch market is flat to falling.
Old 15 May 2023, 07:17 AM   #12
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
If I were you I’d wait for the next raffle for the Red version. It’s a fun watch but I wouldn’t be able to justify spending that much on it.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 09:13 AM   #13
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wouldnt even a used MB&F run upwards of 100k? The most expensive watch currently in my collection is my rose gold DayDate 40 Olive Green dial which is only half the price of a used MB&F

Winning the raffle is prob a fraction of a chance… by the way when is the next raffle?

Also does the MAD watch always spin perpetually as you walk with the watch on your wrist?
I did a quick search and found some used LM1 and LM101 under $80k and probably can be negotiated some more. There were two CPO HMX on MB&F site for 42000CHF but both were sold. Note that even when you buy an used MB&F from a private seller, you can still join the tribe and be eligible for buying both the blue and the red MAD One.

This can be a very good excuse to convince yourself to get a MB&F.

BTW, the LM1 and LM101 are both wonderful pieces. I love them both.
Old 15 May 2023, 09:40 AM   #14
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
I did a quick search and found some used LM1 and LM101 under $80k and probably can be negotiated some more. There were two CPO HMX on MB&F site for 42000CHF but both were sold. Note that even when you buy an used MB&F from a private seller, you can still join the tribe and be eligible for buying both the blue and the red MAD One.

This can be a very good excuse to convince yourself to get a MB&F.

BTW, the LM1 and LM101 are both wonderful pieces. I love them both.
Thats like 50 Tesla shares currently that I can flip for 5x 2-4 years from now lol
Old 15 May 2023, 10:13 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Thats like 50 Tesla shares currently that I can flip for 5x 2-4 years from now lol

Maybe and maybe not. If you’re worried about max return buying watches is a fools errand. This is jewelry. Buy it when everything else is already taken care of.
Old 15 May 2023, 11:33 AM   #16
cal14
"TRF" Member

Really depends on you, for me - this is an easy YES. I love everything about it. Incredible Utility/$. Good news is the secondary market is soft right now so you probably won’t have a very hard time finding a buyer at this price if you regret it. I anticipate this watch will resonate with younger generations entering the hobby/addiction.
cal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 03:25 PM   #17
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

To me they priced it at or lower than cost as an appreciation to existing MB&F owners. Pricing is subjective. I believe it's definitely a $6k+ watch and I dont think you can get anything close to it in the market with the price. Like others have suggested maybe getting a MB&F before getting the blue is the way to acquire one without the premium. Or settle with the red.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 09:50 PM   #18
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
in grey ? they are going up because boutqies are raising the prices by 10-20% every quarter lol
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 11:33 PM   #19
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post
in grey ? they are going up because boutqies are raising the prices by 10-20% every quarter lol
I keep hearing from grey dealers that prices are slowly creeping back up. But somehow I do not see it for the few models I pay attention to. Any truth in this price uptrend?
Old 16 May 2023, 01:14 AM   #20
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
If I were you I’d wait for the next raffle for the Red version. It’s a fun watch but I wouldn’t be able to justify spending that much on it.
Next raffle will probably be a different version
Old 16 May 2023, 01:16 AM   #21
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Really? The MAD 1 Blue was going for $20k a year ago. The red edition was about $15k. I was at my local Patek AD last week for an initial visit and 3 of the 6 watches that I want including Aquanaut could be delivered by the end of the year if I committed to a certain spend. Everything I see is that the watch market is flat to falling.
I guess it must be the vintage market going insane. A yellow gold Gordon Gekko Santos Carree was 10-12k 1-2 years ago and now going for $20+k
A yellow gold Piaget Polo going for $10k now too and these watches are near 40 years old
Old 16 May 2023, 01:17 AM   #22
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatchidiot View Post
I really think there great fun to wear. I have the Red. The Red has a different crown than the Blue and costs around $3000 if you get the chance to purchase. It’s definitely worth the price at 3k but I also can’t see it at $7000. Wow, secondary markets are weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love it!

Does it spin perpetually as you walk? Or only if you flick your wrist it spins for a few seconds and stops?
Old 16 May 2023, 01:22 AM   #23
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love it!

Does it spin perpetually as you walk? Or only if you flick your wrist it spins for a few seconds and stops?
You need to flick your wrist in order to spin it as it does require a bit of energy. to spin it that fast. Very addictive thing to do.
Old 16 May 2023, 01:40 AM   #24
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have both the red and blue...they are funky and cool and super unique...as a "second" watch what more could you ask for? It's not another of the 4 billion omegas you see everywhere in that price range.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 02:19 AM   #25
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I have both the red and blue...they are funky and cool and super unique...as a "second" watch what more could you ask for? It's not another of the 4 billion omegas you see everywhere in that price range.
110% agree

My collection criteria with any watch is that it has to connect with me emotionally and this one brings a smile every time I spin it. What more can I ask for.
Old 16 May 2023, 03:00 AM   #26
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
You need to flick your wrist in order to spin it as it does require a bit of energy. to spin it that fast. Very addictive thing to do.
So it spins for a few seconds and comes to a stop? Seems a bit gimmicky. I was hoping it continues its perpetual spin as you walk somewhere
Old 16 May 2023, 03:00 AM   #27
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Which one do you like better?
Old 16 May 2023, 10:12 AM   #28
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
To me they priced it at or lower than cost as an appreciation to existing MB&F owners. Pricing is subjective. I believe it's definitely a $6k+ watch and I dont think you can get anything close to it in the market with the price. Like others have suggested maybe getting a MB&F before getting the blue is the way to acquire one without the premium. Or settle with the red.
For the price (slightly below actually) the Christopher Ward Bel Canto is a solid option
Old 16 May 2023, 11:52 AM   #29
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For the price (slightly below actually) the Christopher Ward Bel Canto is a solid option
Both are nice but it is apple to orange.
Old 16 May 2023, 12:34 PM   #30
sage9984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

Attachment 1367149
Where is that strap from? Looks great.
sage9984 is offline   Reply With Quote