The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 May 2023, 03:32 AM   #1
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Possible first....

....and maybe only AP? I think I'm between a few ROO divers. I would like to be able to wear a yellow, black, navy, or even white strap with whichever one I go with. Not sure I like the newer 15720st dial as much as the 15710st dial? If I did end up going with 15720st, I would try to get from boutique where I was offered a ROO taupe a while back, but declined as it was a bit big on my 6.75" flat wrist. Didn't really sing to me either. I'm currently on their registry for RO or ROC, but don't expect a call on those. I've included current collection below, where I would most likely trade or sell the Santos to make room. Any advice and comments are greatly appreciated as I may acquire my first AP.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 03:34 AM   #2
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Current collection...

Old 18 May 2023, 03:42 AM   #3
EazyE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226
This should certainly be possible. The NYC AP boutique (not AP house) had a few grey divers when I visited a few days ago!
EazyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 03:43 AM   #4
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Great collection OP, that has to be the first thing to say!

I’ve been patiently waiting for a RO 15510ST and whilst not registered for a diver, I do keep toying with the idea of requesting one. Whilst I’ve always liked the 15710s, I much, much prefer the size of the movement in the newer Divers plus the tool free strap changing feature.

Given your strap requirements, I assumed you’ll be frequently changing them so I’d have thought a 15720 would be more suitable for you.

Ultimately you can’t go wrong with a RO Diver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:02 AM   #5
messikens
"TRF" Member

Great collection!

I'd say go with a 15720 and try to get it from the boutique. Given you've already been offered a ROO taupe (jealous) it should definitely be doable for you. Plus : they know you're not just buying a piece to flip / if you don't like it.

I'd recommend the blue one. Definitely would go best with blue/white/black straps and adds a bit more fun vs a black dial
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:10 AM   #6
Flaudia402
Banned

Nice collection
Flaudia402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:15 AM   #7
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Great collection btw. I’ve owned the black dial Diver around 13 years ago, it’s probably worth bearing in mind that the closed back version of this watch originally retailed for 12k but ADs would offer 20% discount on it. My choice of those 3 would be the latest model with the blue and white dial as I think it’s one of the best looking Divers there have been, following that my choice would be the original black dial. The blue and yellow dial was a limited production watch, my friend currently owns this and he’s looking to change to the blue and white dial.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:22 AM   #8
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I agree with you, also prefer the older style of indexes. The color question is something that’s hard for anyone but you to answer. I personally would tend to the black, as that yellow is a bit heavy handed for my taste, against the pretty classic blue dial. I think those bold colors work better if they are applied thoughout, as was the case with those orange and lime boutique editions.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:47 AM   #9
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

I have the khaki which I would recommend. But between those ones you posted I would suggest the blue
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 12:07 PM   #10
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Great collection!

I'd say go with a 15720 and try to get it from the boutique. Given you've already been offered a ROO taupe (jealous) it should definitely be doable for you. Plus : they know you're not just buying a piece to flip / if you don't like it.

I'd recommend the blue one. Definitely would go best with blue/white/black straps and adds a bit more fun vs a black dial
Thanks! How would a yellow strap look on the navy dial 15720? Does AP make a yellow strap in new style? I was leaning toward the 15710 navy dial for the matching yellow sttap in warmer months. Thoughts? Also, I've noticed the 15720 AP logo seems to disappear in certain lighting. Not sure I like that? Thanks again.

Old 18 May 2023, 12:14 PM   #11
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Great collection btw. I’ve owned the black dial Diver around 13 years ago, it’s probably worth bearing in mind that the closed back version of this watch originally retailed for 12k but ADs would offer 20% discount on it. My choice of those 3 would be the latest model with the blue and white dial as I think it’s one of the best looking Divers there have been, following that my choice would be the original black dial. The blue and yellow dial was a limited production watch, my friend currently owns this and he’s looking to change to the blue and white dial.

Thanks. Crazy how much inflation has occurred over the years. Not sure how I like the new AP logo on new dials as it appears to disappear in certain lighting? The hour markers seem to be going away from RO DNA? I would really like to use a yellow strap in warm months and wondering if that's available on 15720? Or how how would yellow look on that 15720 navy dial? Thanks again.

Old 18 May 2023, 12:19 PM   #12
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
I have the khaki which I would recommend. But between those ones you posted I would suggest the blue
Huge congrats on the khaki. Very nice. Which blue would u suggest? 15710 with hits of yellow or the 15720? How do u feel about yellow strap on the 15720? Is yellow available in the new straps? Thanks.

Old 18 May 2023, 12:21 PM   #13
Uncle00Jesse
"TRF" Member

Possible first....

Man… I’ve been completely obsessed with the 15720st blue dial. Really debating if this piece could be my one and only. I’m not in a position lay out 30k+ to buy outright currently. It would only be feasible on a trade. Couldn’t get it out of my head so I went to a gray that had a brand new one. Feel the same way about the watch as I did walking in. It’s so amazing. I say definitely go for the 20, if only for the much improved movement, strap changing ease, and ceramic crowns. The SD43 is the first Rolex I bought for myself, I have another that was handed down. I love it to death but I’m actually entertaining the thought of making a trade with the SD since I still can’t get this thing out of my head…

Uncle00Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 12:59 PM   #14
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post
Man… I’ve been completely obsessed with the 15720st blue dial. Really debating if this piece could be my one and only. I’m not in a position lay out 30k+ to buy outright currently. It would only be feasible on a trade. Couldn’t get it out of my head so I went to a gray that had a brand new one. Feel the same way about the watch as I did walking in. It’s so amazing. I say definitely go for the 20, if only for the much improved movement, strap changing ease, and ceramic crowns. The SD43 is the first Rolex I bought for myself, I have another that was handed down. I love it to death but I’m actually entertaining the thought of making a trade with the SD since I still can’t get this thing out of my head…

Looks great on you. What size is your wrist? I wish the 15720 dials would have kept the white letter branding, as the gold AP tends to disappear in alot of pics. Also wonder if yellow strap is available for 15720? Thanks for sharing and look fwd to the incoming.

Old 18 May 2023, 01:51 PM   #15
Uncle00Jesse
"TRF" Member

Possible first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
Looks great on you. What size is your wrist? I wish the 15720 dials would have kept the white letter branding, as the gold AP tends to disappear in alot of pics. Also wonder if yellow strap is available for 15720? Thanks for sharing and look fwd to the incoming.

Thanks! I think my wrist is pushing 8” but not sure on exact measurement. I actually think I need a longer band, I was on the 2nd to last hole and it was pretty snug. I see what you mean about the AP logo hiding, however when it hits the right light it really pops. This pic kind of captures that a little. I’m not sure on the yellow strap, I didn’t see one on the AP website. I’d be mostly interest in a stainless steel bracelet. I thought I saw somewhere that it was in the works.

Gosh I’m so torn, i think most people even on this forum would think I’m nuts for trading a SD43 plus a ton of cash for this. On the other hand I don’t think I could picture my wrist without it haha! I might wait til I can do it properly at a boutique for the experience, idk..
Uncle00Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 02:05 PM   #16
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Huge congrats on the khaki. Very nice. Which blue would u suggest? 15710 with hits of yellow or the 15720? How do u feel about yellow strap on the 15720? Is yellow available in the new straps? Thanks.

I’m actually picking up the blue diver on Monday from the Boutique in SCP.
Back in forth whether I wanted the green or blue, but for the long term, I think blue as I liked them both equally.
This will be my first AP and pretty excited.

Good luck with your choice.

ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 02:33 PM   #17
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure how I like the new AP logo on new dials as it appears to disappear in certain lighting?

This is the new style from AP, I really like it and have this on my 15510, imo it makes the dial design cleaner - less is more. It depends how obsessed you are with visible branding, Rolex put more script on their dials than I would like so this is a different look that you’d have to get comfortable with. I’m sure you’d very quickly get used to it and in reality the watch screams ‘AP’ in any case. As stated above these new APs feature the quick change straps which is a big advantage over the other two Divers that you’re considering.
Old 18 May 2023, 04:21 PM   #18
Bpan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5548BA, 16233G
The logo disappears in certain lighting because it is mirror smooth. It's like when you can see poorly polished screws from every angle, but black polished screws will disappear depending on the incidence angle.
Bpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 11:41 PM   #19
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpan View Post
The logo disappears in certain lighting because it is mirror smooth. It's like when you can see poorly polished screws from every angle, but black polished screws will disappear depending on the incidence angle.
Understood. Thanks. Just something to get used to vs rolex, pp, omega, etc. dial text. I've asked my SA if yellow and white are available strap colors for 15720. Tbh, I didn't think the 15710 strap changes would be that difficult, so I'll look up some yubetube vids on that. I don't change very often....maybe twice a year. Thanks again.

Old 18 May 2023, 11:44 PM   #20
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
I’m actually picking up the blue diver on Monday from the Boutique in SCP.
Back in forth whether I wanted the green or blue, but for the long term, I think blue as I liked them both equally.
This will be my first AP and pretty excited.

Good luck with your choice.

Huge congrats and great choice! I've asked my SA if yellow and white are strap options for the 15720. I like a bit of pop in summer. Lol.

Old 19 May 2023, 03:28 AM   #21
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

On my 6.75in wrist. Edge of wearability for me I think but very doable !

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 04:01 AM   #22
kferg46
"TRF" Member

I think the yellow strap really changes up the watch, and it will definitely be different than anything else you currently have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP.jpg (220.7 KB, 917 views)
kferg46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 04:14 AM   #23
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

On my 6.75in wrist. Edge of wearability for me I think but very doable !

Thanks for the size reference. Looks great on you!

Old 19 May 2023, 04:18 AM   #24
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferg46 View Post
I think the yellow strap really changes up the watch, and it will definitely be different than anything else you currently have.
Looks great! What size is your wrist? My SA said yellow and white straps are not available on 15720. I'm guessing not too hard to make a strap change on 15710 since AP provides two? Although all of them look great, I'm leaning toward the one you have. I'm thinking aftermarket straps will support the 15710 more as well without the quick release mechanism? Thanks for sharing.

Old 19 May 2023, 05:03 AM   #25
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I would recommend trying to find a discontinued FC or Ceramic diver. I have had many offshores and this is the only one that has stayed. Weight, balance, very different from anything in my collection. And looking at what you have, I think the same would be the case over going with another stainless option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 05:10 AM   #26
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I would recommend trying to find a discontinued FC or Ceramic diver. I have had many offshores and this is the only one that has stayed. Weight, balance, very different from anything in my collection. And looking at what you have, I think the same would be the case over going with another stainless option.
Looks great! New CE Diver is what's missing from the ROO 30th anniversary celebrations. Still half a year to rectify that.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 05:12 AM   #27
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow!! Absolutely stunning

Old 19 May 2023, 05:13 AM   #28
kferg46
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks great! What size is your wrist? My SA said yellow and white straps are not available on 15720. I'm guessing not too hard to make a strap change on 15710 since AP provides two? Although all of them look great, I'm leaning toward the one you have. I'm thinking aftermarket straps will support the 15710 more as well without the quick release mechanism? Thanks for sharing.

My wrist is just under 7. I have never actually changed the straps myself as I live only a few minutes from the boutique, and they do it in minutes. Watch also looks great on a bracelet if you can find one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APbr2.jpg (276.6 KB, 893 views)
File Type: jpg APbr.jpg (280.4 KB, 894 views)
kferg46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 05:41 AM   #29
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow! Love it! Available with exhibition case back? Love black and yellow combos. FC? Thanks.

Old 19 May 2023, 05:46 AM   #30
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferg46 View Post
My wrist is just under 7. I have never actually changed the straps myself as I live only a few minutes from the boutique, and they do it in minutes. Watch also looks great on a bracelet if you can find one.
Looks great! Which bracelet fits the 15710? RO bracelet? Sounds like they are hard to find, which means expensive? I recall a bracelet is not available for 15720? Thanks again.