The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 May 2023, 04:15 AM   #1
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Incoming, cracked the code…

So this past week has been a wild period for me indeed. With a lot of unforeseen events. Today, another one joined the list, and oddly enough, probably not even the most significant of them all. Nevertheless, something that makes a watch collector‘s heart beat a little higher.

I must admit at this point that I have long been a fan of the Code 11.59 case. While I don’t necessarily feel like the basic threehander and the chronograph movements are that special and the initial dials seemed recycled from IWC‘s 2018 „150th anniversary“ series, that case has sung to me from the early days.

So much so that I have often been close to pulling the trigger. First on the white threehander in RG, but I couldn’t quite bring myself to spend 27k on that, then on the blue „fumé“ chrono in RG, but again, there was always that one watch at 40k I liked more.

But there is one instance where it all comes together in the line, and indeed, where it all did from the very beginning. And that quite obviously is the aventurine QP.

Well, today, it all came together for me as well and though an unforeseen turn of circumstances, I can say. Incoming.

Mid next week, I‘ll be able to collect a watch that I have long admired, with a movement to match both in terms of history and beauty, and a dial that has withstood even the initial onslaught of bad press from the very get go.

Cannot wait. It will obviously be the crown jewel in my little collection. I am still a bit shell shocked and unbelievably grateful.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:21 AM   #2
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Maaan I can't wait for the pictures and maybe a little bit more background about how it all came together. Congrats from a fellow Swissie!
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:24 AM   #3
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post
Maaan I can't wait for the pictures and maybe a little bit more background about how it all came together. Congrats from a fellow Swissie!
Thanks a lot my friend, I feel like a little kid, can’t wait to make those pictures.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 18 May 2023, 04:54 AM   #4
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
White gold or rose gold QP? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
So this past week has been a wild period for me indeed. With a lot of unforeseen events. Today, another one joined the list, and oddly enough, probably not even the most significant of them all. Nevertheless, something that makes a watch collector‘s heart beat a little higher.

I must admit at this point that I have long been a fan of the Code 11.59 case. While I don’t necessarily feel like the basic threehander and the chronograph movements are that special and the initial dials seemed recycled from IWC‘s 2018 „150th anniversary“ series, that case has sung to me from the early days.

So much so that I have often been close to pulling the trigger. First on the white threehander in RG, but I couldn’t quite bring myself to spend 27k on that, then on the blue „fumé“ chrono in RG, but again, there was always that one watch at 40k I liked more.

But there is one instance where it all comes together in the line, and indeed, where it all did from the very beginning. And that quite obviously is the aventurine QP.

Well, today, it all came together for me as well and though an unforeseen turn of circumstances, I can say. Incoming.

Mid next week, I‘ll be able to collect a watch that I have long admired, with a movement to match both in terms of history and beauty, and a dial that has withstood even the initial onslaught of bad press from the very get go.

Cannot wait. It will obviously be the crown jewel in my little collection. I am still a bit shell shocked and unbelievably grateful.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:57 AM   #5
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
White gold or rose gold QP? :)
I‘m quite partial to the RG on this one :)

Old 18 May 2023, 06:03 AM   #6
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Gran super complication that just got released this year? :-)
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 06:19 AM   #7
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

No, the aventurine dial from a few years ago. That’s about as far as my aspirations go, and aesthetically more in keeping with what I like to wear. The Grand Supercomp is something I‘d like to own, but I don’t have the life I could wear that in. So it’d essentially make me a one man museum. Who needs that.

Old 18 May 2023, 09:22 AM   #8
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, the aventurine dial from a few years ago. That’s about as far as my aspirations go, and aesthetically more in keeping with what I like to wear. The Grand Supercomp is something I‘d like to own, but I don’t have the life I could wear that in. So it’d essentially make me a one man museum. Who needs that.
Looking forward to some pictures!
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 10:28 AM   #9
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Awesome! Can’t wait to see it. I’m also one who has liked the Code from the start. So much detail on the case, lugs, and sapphire. Congrats to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 09:04 PM   #10
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Congrats! Looking forward to the pics
That’s the Code to own imho.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 10:56 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations in advance Fred. Looking forward to the unveiling
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 05:00 AM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I‘m quite partial to the RG on this one :)

They are both amazing- I went with the WG ;)

So excited for you - the watch is amazing

Old 19 May 2023, 07:56 AM   #13
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post

They are both amazing- I went with the WG ;)

So excited for you - the watch is amazing

Wow, that does look awesome, especially on that strap!

Old 19 May 2023, 09:40 AM   #14
Jakx
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!

This is one amazing time piece
Jakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 05:56 PM   #15
Mini2
"TRF" Member

beautiful
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 05:52 AM   #16
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Folks, the day has come, here we go. I am truly lost for words.

It wears so amazingly unobtrusively, you could easily mistake it for a Portugieser chrono, which is a fantastic watch in its own right, but then your eye gets hooked, and there is so much to see. And to round things off, it still has a 5134 in the back, meaning AP finished the way an AP out to be.

I can’t possibly begin to describe how much I already love this watch. It’s as though it had been made to measure for me.

Be it as it may with the Code launch. Those of us who get hung up on the inept marketing are truly missing out on a great watch.

The only trouble now for me is that I‘m gonna need one in steel too…

Old 24 May 2023, 05:53 AM   #17
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Old 24 May 2023, 07:11 AM   #18
AEV
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It wears so amazingly unobtrusively, you could easily mistake it for a Portugieser chrono, which is a fantastic watch in its own right, but then your eye gets hooked, and there is so much to see. And to round things off, it still has a 5134 in the back, meaning AP finished the way an AP out to be.

I can’t possibly begin to describe how much I already love this watch. It’s as though it had been made to measure for me.

Be it as it may with the Code launch. Those of us who get hung up on the inept marketing are truly missing out on a great watch.

Phenomenal piece and work of art. Congratulations.
Old 24 May 2023, 07:34 PM   #19
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
Phenomenal piece and work of art. Congratulations.
Thanks a lot, thanks to all of you folks for the kind words, I really am beyond happy with this watch.

It's so supremely wearable too, so effortless and unpretentiously great, a watch you can just put on and look elegant, without becoming a human presentation stand, and yet it has all the finesse and sophistication. It will be hard not to wear this every day. Gosh I love this thing.

Old 24 May 2023, 07:36 PM   #20
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Old 24 May 2023, 07:50 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Brilliant Fred, it does look like it’s tailor made for you! I hope you enjoy it in the best of health
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 08:57 PM   #22
AEV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot, thanks to all of you folks for the kind words, I really am beyond happy with this watch.

It's so supremely wearable too, so effortless and unpretentiously great, a watch you can just put on and look elegant, without becoming a human presentation stand, and yet it has all the finesse and sophistication. It will be hard not to wear this every day. Gosh I love this thing.
I have a RG, blue fume dial, time only Code. Love the complicated case, lugs, crystal, etc.
And have been thinking of upgrading to the RG QP. For me it's the best Code in line up, excluding RD4 which is impossible anyway.
But the MSRP is really a tough pill to swallow, given that most amount of money I have spent on a watch is slightly below 40k.
Old 24 May 2023, 09:16 PM   #23
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
I have a RG, blue fume dial, time only Code. Love the complicated case, lugs, crystal, etc.
And have been thinking of upgrading to the RG QP. For me it's the best Code in line up, excluding RD4 which is impossible anyway.
But the MSRP is really a tough pill to swallow, given that most amount of money I have spent on a watch is slightly below 40k.
I hear you, it has been mostly the same for me. But for what it's worth, I do not miss the watches, including a Lange and a Journe, which I let go to justify this. I am not convinced that there aren't diminishing returns at some point of the price ladder, but in any event, it does not feel like it's the case for this QP.

Then again, this is the fulfillment of a dream I have had for about 10 years, so for me the fact it's the QP has a particular importance that adds to how much I personally value this watch.

Old 24 May 2023, 10:51 PM   #24
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!!!
Old 25 May 2023, 02:29 AM   #25
Narbeh
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP
Have the same watch. It's one of my favorites and will be passed down to my son eventually.
Narbeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 02:56 AM   #26
Narbeh
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

Lovely writeup. I felt the same emotions when I was blessed with the opportunity to acquire mine. The best part was viewing the watch for the first time with my wife and three kids. My 5 year old son accompanied me to the private viewing of the piece while my wife and two daughters browsed the AP boutique. I have a photo of my son and I holding the watch together and his little fingers touching the watch for the first time. We collected it together and every time it comes out of the safe my son and I set the functions and he asks to wear it on his wrist. The level of fascination a 5 year old has with a perpetual from one of the most distinguished outfits in the watch industry is really something to experience. God bless! :)
Narbeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 03:08 AM   #27
bullies
"TRF" Member

Wow, that's gorgeous!
Congrats and thannks for sharing
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 03:27 AM   #28
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narbeh View Post
Lovely writeup. I felt the same emotions when I was blessed with the opportunity to acquire mine. The best part was viewing the watch for the first time with my wife and three kids. My 5 year old son accompanied me to the private viewing of the piece while my wife and two daughters browsed the AP boutique. I have a photo of my son and I holding the watch together and his little fingers touching the watch for the first time. We collected it together and every time it comes out of the safe my son and I set the functions and he asks to wear it on his wrist. The level of fascination a 5 year old has with a perpetual from one of the most distinguished outfits in the watch industry is really something to experience. God bless! :)
What a wonderful common memory for the two of you to treasure, mine is a bit younger still (just turned 2yo) and doesn’t fully understand what a watch does yet other than that you can turn the bezel on some and click chrono pushers on others. But it’s so magical to witness how they discover these things.

Old 25 May 2023, 04:27 AM   #29
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Super nice! Amazing watch. So much to see, that awsome dial is so good!

Congratulations on a future classic!
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote