The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 May 2023, 03:23 AM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Runners

Let's see your route of choice!

Are you an indoor or outdoor runner? How long do you go for and what time of day do you get it done? How does it play into your fitness style?

I'm usually in the gym about 3 times a week and try to get some pool laps in as well, but I do like to run on my non-gym days.

I work east coast hours from the west coast (which I prefer - I'm an early bird ), so runs like the below happen at around 5 a.m.; I just don't have the energy after work and we also have activities with the kids then anyway.

When I have time, I'll drive over to downtown Monterey and run around there. Otherwise, it's the beach trail near our house for 3-4 miles.

Old 24 May 2023, 03:42 AM   #2
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I’ve made it far enough in life that I don’t have to run, peddle or paddle unless I want to and I don’t want to.

My better half on the other hand loves running. It’s her happy place. She gets up at 4:30 and onto her proform treadmill. She runs routes all over the world through different series the iFit trainers put on. As long as there is a jacked up shirtless dude running in front of her she will run anywhere from the comfort of our home.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 03:47 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That looks gorgeous Jesse

My running days are long behind, but I do diligently walks at least 11000 steps (about 7 -7.5km) a day.

My favourite place is out back, next to the river and with Norma.

There is no better way to relax, and connect with nature

Screenshot_20230126-110356_Instagram.jpgIMG_94381.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 03:49 AM   #4
walds11
"TRF" Member

Great topic! I am an outdoor runner. I have a few routes in and around my neighborhood, so no cool pics to share. I run a 5k 4x/week - Sun, Mon, Wed and Thurs around 5:30am. I like to get my runs in early and before I start my day. No other fitness for me, just running. When on vacation, I may run inside 9on the treadmill), or outside depending on my familiarity with the area.
Old 24 May 2023, 04:06 AM   #5
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I miss the joy of road running.

I was hit by a distracted driver on an early morning run five years ago. A week in intensive care and a few months of rehab solved most of my ills, except that look my wife gives me when I tell her I’m thinking about going for a run. So, it’s the treadmill for me these days.

Take care fellas. Even designated trails aren’t as safe as they once were.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 05:15 AM   #6
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I … brace yourself all you hard-core runners.. Run on a treadmill. All of you can now say: “Pffffft.” Well, it is what I enjoy, not very far or very fast but every other day I do a couple miles around 6MPH. My outdoor exercise is hiking in the mountains. My shoes are Saucony Triumph 20s, which I find exceptionally comfortable.

Speaking of running on a treadmill, I have a funny story. I was in a shoe store many years ago trying to find a replacement for my Sauconys which they no longer made (Shadow 6000). I think it was the first time I tried on the Triumph line and liked them. So we are at the counter and the owner/manager? Obviously a serious runner asked where my favorite routes were. I told him I ran on a treadmill in the gym. He practically went off on me, saying I wasn’t a runner if I didn’t experience the chill in the air, the sun on your face, the fresh air blah blah blah. Finally, I said: “Do you want to sell the dam shoes or not!?”
He shut up

TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 05:38 AM   #7
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I … brace yourself all you hard-core runners.. Run on a treadmill. All of you can now say: “Pffffft.” Well, it is what I enjoy, …

He practically went off on me, saying I wasn’t a runner if I didn’t experience the chill in the air, the sun on your face, the fresh air blah blah blah. Finally, I said: “Do you want to sell the dam shoes or not!?”
He shut up

The screeching of the tires, the breaking glass, the worried looks from strangers, the paramedic saying you’re going to be OK…

The treadmill is a good place to be if that’s where you can enjoy your run.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 06:09 AM   #8
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Runners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
The treadmill is a good place to be if that’s where you can enjoy your run.
Yep, her safety is of the utmost importance to me. Whether it is safety from the dudes on her route cat calling her everyday and following her down the road in their cars or if it is safety from getting ran over by preoccupied selfish souls that care about nothing else than their own lives.

I am much more at ease knowing she’s on her treadmill and not out running neighborhoods at 4:30am.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 06:21 AM   #9
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I've had two knee surgeries and need a third, which I don't want. Thus I no longer run. I do 5+ mile walk a few times a week though. I used to hate walking, running was so much more efficient and effective, but now a good time to catch up on podcasts or listen to music which I rarely do any other time.

If I had a healthy knee though I'd run, I do kind of miss it. Especially now that I'm thinking about it...
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 06:28 AM   #10
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I run once a week. Either a 6 mile run under an hour, or a 2 mile run at a faster pace. If I have time, I’ll drive over to a friends house and we’ll run a red rock trail or on mount Charleston.
Otherwise I run right along the 215 using the bike trail.

I prefer to do laps in the pool but recognize if shit hits the fan, I better be able to run.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 06:58 AM   #11
Runner1975
"TRF" Member

Outdoor runner, and preferred it 100% -- even in snowy conditions. A few winter days meant finding a treadmill (ice and blizzards) but maybe ran on a treadmill a dozen times, no more than that. I was careful about too late at night, too early in the morning (much before 5 a.m.) but still managed to run for fun or train for marathons 5 days/week for 30 years, always outdoors. Bad knees have made me a walker now, also outside. I really really miss those running days in fresh air, under a blue or gray sky, in heat/humidity, light rain or snow, and even with temps in the 'teens. Spring and fall days were just the best.
Runner1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 08:06 AM   #12
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

I run daily unless its rain, just around the neighborhood and the jogging track nearby. I normally start at 5am, 7 - 9km, been doing this for four years. It clears my mind.
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 08:19 AM   #13
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Ran for years but now at 55 …a lifetime of sports and running has exacted its revenge. My wife however has really taken to it over the last 5 years.
Ran her first marathon in 3:25 to qualify for Boston. Ran Boston last year (a gruelling course) in 3:22 but got run off the road on a training run before she could run Chicago. Broken leg and torn hip labrum.
Recuperated and started competing in Duathlons. Qualifies for the world championships in Ibiza and we just returned 3 weeks ago. Proud to say she finished 11th in the world for her age group.
Now healed, she will take up her deferred request and run Chicago again this fall.
I run vicariously though her now and cheer with our daughters.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 08:27 AM   #14
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Good topic! I have been running since my 20s. It is great for clearing my head, seeing the neighborhood, and burning off some steam. For almost all of those years, I had a 4 mile minimum and would run 6, 8, or 10 or whatever if the music inspired me, or it was a beautiful day. I would run outdoors in the winter unless it was truly icy, as I always found that treadmills to me were 1) boring, and 2) easily stopped at any time. On an outdoor run, if you ran 2 miles away from the house, you couldn't really stop in the middle unless you wanted to walk two miles home. Treadmills can be hopped off of at any time.

Now that we go to Naples for the winter, it's much easier to always run outside. My normal run is about a 1/2 mile to the beach, two miles on the beach, and then maybe a mile in our community. There's almost no risk of notoriously crappy FL drivers mowing me down, and the beach is beautiful and less rigid than a road. In IL, I usually run in the neighborhood and check out what's new. I play a lot of tennis (probably 4x/week) and lift weights a couple of times a week, so pretty much get a cardio workout every day. I like that.
Old 24 May 2023, 08:31 AM   #15
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blassy View Post
Ran for years but now at 55 …a lifetime of sports and running has exacted its revenge. My wife however has really taken to it over the last 5 years.
Ran her first marathon in 3:25 to qualify for Boston. Ran Boston last year (a gruelling course) in 3:22 but got run off the road on a training run before she could run Chicago. Broken leg and torn hip labrum.
Recuperated and started competing in Duathlons. Qualifies for the world championships in Ibiza and we just returned 3 weeks ago. Proud to say she finished 11th in the world for her age group.
Now healed, she will take up her deferred request and run Chicago again this fall.
I run vicariously though her now and cheer with our daughters.
Wow, that's awesome/terrible. FWIW, the only marathon I've done is Chicago and thought it was a great experience. Plus it's nice and flat, unlike Boston. lol I found it a great experience to do once, but didn't want to put my body through that again. Plus the training and race were perfect for me, so it would have been especially hard to gather the enthusiasm to do it again.
Old 24 May 2023, 08:38 AM   #16
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: Yes
I usually run 2.4 miles several times a week. Suburban area that is pretty well planned for walking/running. Currently sidelined because of a back problem, and it's sort of driving me stir crazy.

BTW, what shoes are everyone using? I've been using a pair of Asics Cumulus which I've had since before the pandemic, probably need replacing soon. I've always loved Asics, but am open to other brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
I miss the joy of road running.

I was hit by a distracted driver on an early morning run five years ago. A week in intensive care and a few months of rehab solved most of my ills, except that look my wife gives me when I tell her I’m thinking about going for a run. So, it’s the treadmill for me these days.

Take care fellas. Even designated trails aren’t as safe as they once were.
Yikes, sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you're at least able to get miles in on a treadmill.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 11:46 AM   #17
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
I usually run 2.4 miles several times a week. Suburban area that is pretty well planned for walking/running. Currently sidelined because of a back problem, and it's sort of driving me stir crazy.

BTW, what shoes are everyone using? I've been using a pair of Asics Cumulus which I've had since before the pandemic, probably need replacing soon. I've always loved Asics, but am open to other brands.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you're at least able to get miles in on a treadmill.
I have flat feet and need support. Ran in the Brooks Adrenaline GTS for years. I switched to the Saucony Tempus late last year. Lighter weight with more bounce and spring with the needed support. The Adrenaline GTS feels boring and flat compared to the Tempus. Love them!
Old 24 May 2023, 07:57 PM   #18
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
I use to jog on a track bare foot. Try it's a totally new way to run.
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 08:46 PM   #19
Nana7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JParm View Post
Let's see your route of choice!

Are you an indoor or outdoor runner? How long do you go for and what time of day do you get it done? How does it play into your fitness style?

I'm usually in the gym about 3 times a week and try to get some pool laps in as well, but I do like to run on my non-gym days.

I work east coast hours from the west coast (which I prefer - I'm an early bird ), so runs like the below happen at around 5 a.m.; I just don't have the energy after work and we also have activities with the kids then anyway.

When I have time, I'll drive over to downtown Monterey and run around there. Otherwise, it's the beach trail near our house for 3-4 miles.

Fort Ord? I used to live in Monterey before moving to Santa Barbara for work last year. Used to go to Ford Ord and 17 Mile Drive for runs, walks, or bike rides depending on the mood and energy that day. Definitely miss the place and happy to see someone from around that area on this board
Nana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 09:05 PM   #20
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not a runner anymore but I do walk 4 miles a day, 5-6 days a week in 1 hour. As fast as I can go without jogging. I enjoy the time walking and it helps with my sleep.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 09:18 PM   #21
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
After a daily lifting session….elliptical, stair master, Peloton, treadmill. Sometimes 2 of those, sometimes 3…for 90 minutes. If I’m outside, it’s on the road to run, and I’ll do that anywhere, especially if I can try somewhere new on vacation. Usually before before most wake up (5:30 ish) Love doing races as well. Duathlon, bike, road, triathlon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 10:08 PM   #22
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That looks gorgeous Jesse

My running days are long behind, but I do diligently walks at least 11000 steps (about 7 -7.5km) a day.

My favourite place is out back, next to the river and with Norma.

There is no better way to relax, and connect with nature

Attachment 1368882Attachment 1368883

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
After a daily lifting session….elliptical, stair master, Peloton, treadmill. Sometimes 2 of those, sometimes 3…for 90 minutes. If I’m outside, it’s on the road to run, and I’ll do that anywhere, especially if I can try somewhere new on vacation. Usually before before most wake up (5:30 ish) Love doing races as well. Duathlon, bike, road, triathlon

Gorgeous trails, gents.
Old 24 May 2023, 10:26 PM   #23
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
I prefer outdoor running, but don’t really have time to get outside and do it anymore. Outside is way easier for me as I can distract myself from everything out there and see the sites.

However I just don’t have time anymore, I have had to condense it all into my gym time, so I’m stuck on the treadmill.

Use to have the best area ever for running, when I lived in Pacific Beach. I would start at my house towards/into Crown Point park. Go around a portion of the bay around Crown Point all the way across Mission Blvd. to Belmont park. Mission bay drive across to Sea World area, Vacation Island, then back home to Crown Point, Pacific Beach and home.

I really miss that run. Would’ve loved to have stayed there, makes me miss San Diego.
Old 24 May 2023, 11:26 PM   #24
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post

I wear Saucony Omni shoes and have for the last 20ish years. I have custom orthotics in them these days, but have always retired them when they hit about 300 miles.
Old 24 May 2023, 11:29 PM   #25
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
I prefer outdoor running, but don’t really have time to get outside and do it anymore. Outside is way easier for me as I can distract myself from everything out there and see the sites.

However I just don’t have time anymore, I have had to condense it all into my gym time, so I’m stuck on the treadmill.

Use to have the best area ever for running, when I lived in Pacific Beach. I would start at my house towards/into Crown Point park. Go around a portion of the bay around Crown Point all the way across Mission Blvd. to Belmont park. Mission bay drive across to Sea World area, Vacation Island, then back home to Crown Point, Pacific Beach and home.

I really miss that run. Would’ve loved to have stayed there, makes me miss San Diego.
I used to live downtown and run around Petco, the Convention Center stairs, etc.

My wife meanwhile (gf at the time) was a PB girl and would run the boardwalk...we'd meet at the Shore Club later.
Old 24 May 2023, 11:58 PM   #26
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
Outdoor runner only here. I live in the suburbs so there's plenty of safe neighborhood routes for me when I walk out my front door. I'm envious of anyone who gets to run by the ocean on a daily basis though.

My sweet spot is around ~4 miles these days. I used to run half marathons but don't have the time anymore to commit. I also run as light as possible - no phone, no music - just the sights and sounds and a cheap GPS watch to track distance.

New Balance shoes were always my favorite. Currently running in Fresh foam 880s.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 12:10 AM   #27
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JParm View Post
I used to live downtown and run around Petco, the Convention Center stairs, etc.

My wife meanwhile (gf at the time) was a PB girl and would run the boardwalk...we'd meet at the Shore Club later.
San Diego is a fantastic place to run. So many beautiful areas and the weather is generally always great for it. I really enjoyed the PB, La Jolla area, convenient to town, yet costal and beautiful with a lot of amenities.

I really miss going for a run out there. Would love to return out there one day, but I think the kiddos are getting pretty settled in where we are.
Old 25 May 2023, 12:24 AM   #28
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I used to be a trail running addict when I lived in Durango, Colorado until sciatica put an end to that.

Now I watch my wife take off on her favorite run along Wailea beach path every time we are on Maui (coming up next week) and I crawl into a fetal position on the floor and cry.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 08:58 AM   #29
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post

I got tired just reading this…
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 02:21 AM   #30
SearChart
TechXpert

Outdoor runner here, mostly trails.
Currently taking it a bit easy, only running 40-50km a week, but there have been weeks of 100km+ when training for marathons and ultra marathons.

Want to do a 100miler trail ultra and a full distance iron man in the next year or two. Nothing like grinding for a long distance race.

Shoes: I have ran on ASICS GT -2000 for years, the trail version is also quite good but Salomon makes better shoes for technical mountain trails. Also really love Hoka, their softer sole is heaven on recovery runs, bit bulky soles for technical trails so not recommended for that.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote