The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 October 2021, 01:29 AM   #1
Pg29
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO offshore RG
26400 ROO Rose gold Faulty - urgent help requested.

Can anyone have me some advise please.
My newly acquired previously owned 26400 Royal Oak Offshore developed a fault a few month after owning it, Due tonCovid I didn’t really get the opportunity to wear it, however, when winding it up it would loose time and stop, I discovered purely by chance that the wonder wasn’t actually winding the the watch up, or if it was it would only partially wind it, resulting in no charge. Anyway the dealer I bought from here in the UK( London) provided me with a 2 year warranty and explained there would be no charge, I’ve now received an email from them advising that I should upgrade the Calibration?

Can anyone have me some advise, they want £1900 to carry out this apparent upgrade?
This is what they have emailed me….

Notes
Audemars Piguet has manufactured a much improved version of your movement caliber 3126 the timing performances are totally enhanced, resulting of a new movement coupled to the current module. This new 3126.02 movement is externally, physically identical to the previous version.
Furthermore, your original 24kt gold rotor will be transferred to the new movement.
Therefore, in order to ensure your timepiece remains reliable for a long time to come, we propose replacing the complete movement at a regular complete service price.
Likewise, we will do our utmost to deliver you with your watch within 4 weeks.
Once the operation is finished, we will update our manufacturing register with the new movement number in order to preserve the unique identity of your timepiece.
Should you decline our proposal of exchange, the complete maintenance service will be carried out on your current movement and the price will be that of a complete service.
We would be delighted to discuss with you, at your convenience, about this proposal.
We are waiting to hear from you and we thank you for your confidence.
Pg29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 06:51 AM   #2
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I don't have this ROO but normally when you purchase your timepiece from AP, the original warranty is 2 years and you can go to their website to register your watch under your name and AP will extend your warranty another 3 years, the total warranty is 5 years from the date of purchase.

If I were you, I will not upgrade the movement, AP service center will have to repair for you under warranty for no charge. Your watch should come back and working perfect as it should be. There is no good reason for them to ask you to upgrade your brand new watch now.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 06:54 AM   #3
sullivan2829
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD JC, AP ROO FC
Hi,

I had a very similar scenario with my ROO 44mm FC. Mine was bought precowned with a one year warranty. I started to have issues after 13 months with the crown ( felt loose) and it wouldn’t always move the date wheel. I took it in and they sent it back to AP. I was originally advised that it would need upgrading to the newer movement you reference which would cost me circa £1k plus. A few weeks later the dealer rang me to say the watch was back, the work had been done and there would be no extra cost to me. I wasn’t clear ( and didn’t ask) who had covered the cost of it but the papers that came back with the watch suggest AP charged the dealer and they covered it I assume as part of the warranty. The watch is working great and I’m very pleased with the dealer!
sullivan2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 12:54 PM   #4
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

If you have a 2 year warranty then the dealer should fix it under the warranty. What else would the warranty be for?
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 04:32 PM   #5
Noak
"TRF" Member

Back in April, I sent my 26237ST back to APSC to change a new bezel and they offered to swap my 3126 base caliber to the improved one for free (watch still under warranty). I had no issues with the old one but I took up the offer anyway. However, do note that your movement’s SN will change, yet you will not be issued a new paper, instead the new movement SN is noted only in the service invoice, so keep it well if you intend to upgrade the movement.

Personally, in your situation, I won’t upgrade it. I will let the dealer fix the watch as it’s under their warranty. Didn’t have much issue with the original 3126 as well. Wait a few more years and if I really want to keep the watch, I will then send it to APSC myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Noak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 05:42 PM   #6
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Similar experience here.

Bought a ROO from the boutique. c.18 months later, the watch would stop when the chrono would be engaged. It was well within the 5y warranty. Sent the watch back and was offered a movement upgrade (a bit crazy to see they do it on a regular basis and that it is easier / more profitable for them to just change the movement rather than repair it). I accepted and it was done at no cost.

However, I was then told that the repair would be guaranteed for one year and that would replace the initial 5y warranty. So it effectively shortened the 5y which I found upsetting. Also concerned by this movement reliability. If this was to happen again in 2/3 years, the watch will not be covered at all...
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 06:02 PM   #7
Pg29
"TRF" Member

Firstly, let me apologize for my poor spelling, I was sat typing without my glasses on. My initial thought was that AP service wanted to upgrade it purely so they didn’t have to repair it, guess that’s called upselling. My initial concern was that the agent who sold me the watch didn’t want to pay AP, and wanted me to pay for the upgrade & service. It’s like taking my car to the dealer for an engine component warranty repair and the salesman saying why don’t I upgrade the full engine ( at my cost) my second issue is they said they would re register the watch with a 3126.02 movement. I am I right in saying the whole watch inners (is that called the movement) will be replaced, or just parts of the inners, excuse my ignorance.
Old 5 October 2021, 08:58 PM   #8
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pg29 View Post
Firstly, let me apologize for my poor spelling, I was sat typing without my glasses on. My initial thought was that AP service wanted to upgrade it purely so they didn’t have to repair it, guess that’s called upselling. My initial concern was that the agent who sold me the watch didn’t want to pay AP, and wanted me to pay for the upgrade & service. It’s like taking my car to the dealer for an engine component warranty repair and the salesman saying why don’t I upgrade the full engine ( at my cost) my second issue is they said they would re register the watch with a 3126.02 movement. I am I right in saying the whole watch inners (is that called the movement) will be replaced, or just parts of the inners, excuse my ignorance.
There is no charge for the repair under the warranty but if you agree to upgrade the movement, you will have to pay for it not the AD and that AD might make some commission too. ADs have no responsible for the quality of the watches, AP is the one that has the responsibility to bring that watch back to perfect condition. If the existing movement (has some defect) cannot make it right and the only solution is to upgrade the movement, AP should replace it for free under warranty, ADs have no responsible for the expenses.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 01:12 AM   #9
Pg29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
There is no charge for the repair under the warranty but if you agree to upgrade the movement, you will have to pay for it not the AD and that AD might make some commission too. ADs have no responsible for the quality of the watches, AP is the one that has the responsibility to bring that watch back to perfect condition. If the existing movement (has some defect) cannot make it right and the only solution is to upgrade the movement, AP should replace it for free under warranty, ADs have no responsible for the expenses.
Of course, who wouldn’t be interested in an upgrade, I have no idea if it would help in its future residual selling price, at the end of the day I have to ask myself (someone on here may be able to advise) if their is an inherent problem with the 3126 movement which is why they have engineered a 3126.02 variant, I don’t know?
My main aim is to get the store in London who gave me the 2 yr warranty with the purchase of my pre owned AP to fix it ASAP, at their expense, however if I get enough feedback from anyone with knowledge as to whether it’s worth the £1300 as the benefits in residual relsale value and ongoing reliability then it may be prudent to go this route. Thankyou for your comments in any case.
Old 6 October 2021, 01:18 AM   #10
Pg29
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=AperolSpritz;11740777]Similar experience here.

Bought a ROO from the boutique. c.18 months later, the watch would stop when the chrono would be engaged. It was well within the 5y warranty. Sent the watch back and was offered a movement upgrade (a bit crazy to see they do it on a regular basis and that it is easier / more profitable for them to just change the movement rather than repair it). I accepted and it was done at no cost.

However, I was then told that the repair would be guaranteed for one year and that would replace the initial 5y warranty. So it effectively shortened the 5y which I found upsetting. Also concerned by this movement reliability. If this was to happen again in 2/3 years, the watch will not be covered at all...[/QUOTE/]

Sounds like I have the same issue as you were experiencing . Mine is registered as Dec 2016, so out of AP warranty, but have the boutique 2 warranty. They were supposed to call me today to update me, but havnt as yet.
Old 6 October 2021, 01:18 AM   #11
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Imho, I don't think upgrading the movement will affect value. So my advice would be to fix this at no cost/lowest cost possible.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 01:26 AM   #12
Pg29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
If you have a 2 year warranty then the dealer should fix it under the warranty. What else would the warranty be for?
That’s my primary focus, however if this is an inherent problem with this 3126 movement ( hoping someone can either put my mind at rest or give some reason why i should consider upgrading. Thanks.
Old 6 October 2021, 01:29 AM   #13
Pg29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
I don't have this ROO but normally when you purchase your timepiece from AP, the original warranty is 2 years and you can go to their website to register your watch under your name and AP will extend your warranty another 3 years, the total warranty is 5 years from the date of purchase.

If I were you, I will not upgrade the movement, AP service center will have to repair for you under warranty for no charge. Your watch should come back and working perfect as it should be. There is no good reason for them to ask you to upgrade your brand new watch now.
Thank you, I bought it preowned and was originally bought new in Dec 2016, so out of AP warranty.
Old 6 October 2021, 11:42 AM   #14
dre-techie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pg29 View Post

Notes
Audemars Piguet has manufactured a much improved version of your movement caliber 3126 the timing performances are totally enhanced, resulting of a new movement coupled to the current module. This new 3126.02 movement is externally, physically identical to the previous version.
Furthermore, your original 24kt gold rotor will be transferred to the new movement.
Therefore, in order to ensure your timepiece remains reliable for a long time to come, we propose replacing the complete movement at a regular complete service price.
Likewise, we will do our utmost to deliver you with your watch within 4 weeks.
Once the operation is finished, we will update our manufacturing register with the new movement number in order to preserve the unique identity of your timepiece.
Should you decline our proposal of exchange, the complete maintenance service will be carried out on your current movement and the price will be that of a complete service.
We would be delighted to discuss with you, at your convenience, about this proposal.
We are waiting to hear from you and we thank you for your confidence.
This note sounds like it comes from AP Service. Is it communication from your dealer relaying AP Service information, or did you send it directly to AP without involving the dealer who offered you the 2-year warranty?

If this information comes via the dealer, it would seem like they are using the movement upgrade as a way to try get you to pay for the service cost (1450CHF equivalent), since AP is proposing to upgrade the movement for the regular full service cost.

I would politely ask the dealer to fix the watch under the warranty they provided. If they sent it to AP and once dealer agrees to pay for the service, the decision can be made whether to upgrade the movement or not (since there is no cost difference). For the same cost, they should want you to have a reliable watch and be happy with your purchase.
dre-techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:10 PM   #15
Pg29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre-techie View Post
This note sounds like it comes from AP Service. Is it communication from your dealer relaying AP Service information, or did you send it directly to AP without involving the dealer who offered you the 2-year warranty?

If this information comes via the dealer, it would seem like they are using the movement upgrade as a way to try get you to pay for the service cost (1450CHF equivalent), since AP is proposing to upgrade the movement for the regular full service cost.

I would politely ask the dealer to fix the watch under the warranty they provided. If they sent it to AP and once dealer agrees to pay for the service, the decision can be made whether to upgrade the movement or not (since there is no cost difference). For the same cost, they should want you to have a reliable watch and be happy with your purchase.

Yea, that’s a transcript from the boutique who sent it to APSC for repair,
In fact the boutique rang me last night to advise that I won’t have to pay anything and the watch will now be fixed, I have no idea if that is as per APSC recommendation to upgrade or just repair the existing movement.
I will find out in 4-6 weeks.
Old 6 October 2021, 05:11 PM   #16
Pg29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre-techie View Post

Yea, that’s a transcript from the boutique who sent it to APSC for repair, it will be pasted from APSC report I guess.
In fact the boutique rang me last night to advise that I won’t have to pay anything and the watch will now be fixed, I have no idea if that is as per APSC recommendation to upgrade or just repair the existing movement.
I will find out in 4-6 weeks.