The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 15 December 2008, 01:39 AM   #1
jerry@episales.net
"TRF" Member

Frequency of repair

I have just sent my 1989 Datejust back to Roles for the seventh time. Four complete overhauls and three warranty issues. If I proceed with their recommended overhaul, I will have invested $1400. in repairs in 19years for what, at the time was a $3600. purchase. Is this unusual? I welcome feedback as I decide whether to go ahead with the overhaul.
jerry@episales.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 09:59 PM   #2
desmoboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Duplicate post & wrong forum

Last edited by desmoboy; 30 December 2008 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Duplicate
desmoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2009, 02:04 AM   #3
John1980
"TRF" Member

I bought my Sub in 1994. It's been in twice for crown issues- could not change date or time. Hit me up $500 each time.
John1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2009, 03:40 AM   #4
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

4 overhauls???? Or do you mean routine cleaning and oiling???? Routine maintenance like you're doing should prevent a complete overhaul.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Spaniard

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
wow...with that amount in repairs and overhaul...can save up and buy another Rolex....
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2009, 05:03 PM   #6
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Mine just came back from it's first service after 5 years. Typically it is recommended to have your watch serviced every 5 years. So for an 89, that should be around 4 services. Now this one that you need, the 1400 is high. What's included in the service? Specifically, what is being repaired? I have a friend whose GMT Master is 45 years old. The thing is still going strong. I plan on servicing my Rolex when it needs it as I fully intend on keeping this watch the rest of my natural life. I paid 3800 for it new in 2004 and to replace it would cost me 5800. I think having it serviced in 5 year intervals is well worth it especially since the watch will be as good as new when you get it back.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2009, 05:52 PM   #7
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

You can probably stretch out the overhaul interval if need be.
Old 21 April 2009, 07:01 AM   #8
Spare201
Banned

Watch: 1970 Day-Date
that boils down to roughly 3.8 yrs service interval. I'd need to examine the watch to see whats up.

Now if you weren't doing routine servicing on that watch or you are cheaping out and letting an non authorised person work on that watch, and you are having troubles with it now... that is another story.

What do you think would happen if you don't change your oil in your car and wait for the idiot light to come on or something to break?
Spare201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2009, 02:10 AM   #9
gman54
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I service/recondition my watch every 4 years rather than 5 years because I am very hard on it. Typically it looks like it's been through a meat grinder... no joke! My latest service/reconditioning cost shy of $1,000 with taxes as I had to replace the crystal and bezel again! Considering the travel and adventures I have had while wearing my watch coupled with the cost of replacing my 16 year old watch the cost of service and reconditioning is nominal.

Cheers,

GMan
gman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2009, 02:55 AM   #10
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
My 2000 Datejust needed servicing after only 3 years, it started loosing time so I took it in and the dealer told me it was time for a complete overhaul.
My GMT Master II is going through the process as we speak only had the watch for about 4 years.
Also interesting side note to the GMT II and Datejust story once I bought my GMT II I hardly wore my Datejust and since the watch didn’t get heavy use its still tickin fine.

It seems with everyday use of the watch it is normal. Rolex recommends every 3-5 years depending on use.
Also just bought a used 2005 Yachtmaster this past weekend with a 2 year warranty from the dealer who said if within those 2 years it needs a complete overhaul or just general maintenance they would flip the bill…
rkot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 02:47 AM   #11
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
fix it when it stops

My experience is that you'll get skinned every time you use an AD or Rolex to work on your watch. I've owned a TT GMT since 1973, as well as, a TT DJ since 1985. I currently wear my father's 1947 TT TOG.

I've have used AD/Rolex many times and have had the $500 experience every time, no matter what the problem was. My personal feeling is that you should fix the watch when it doesn't work right. I also think you are better off to deal with a shop that has technicians on site. You have a much better chance to get a $50 problem fixed for $50, rather than $500.

I wear my watches and am not maintaining my watches as collector's items.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2009, 12:42 AM   #12
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

My experience is this

If yours' keeping good times, don't service it. My Dad 40 year old 18O3 had it first service in 2007. My F series ( 2004-2005 ) has never been in the shop either. Throughout the years, I've found that most collectors prefer untouched ( never polished or serviced ) time pieces.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote