The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Changing a dial....

I heard that Rolex Service does not support the service of watches that have been modified, for example with new dial bezel etc. .. But if an owner wants to change a dial can not buy directly from Rolex and let them put there?? Did not selling Rolex parts in their own service?
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

I don't know the policy in the US, but over here you can have a dial swap as part of a service on most styles. You don't get to keep the old one, you can't downgrade (i.e. from diamond to non-diamond), and prices start at about £300 on top of a service. It also has to be a factory correct dial (i.e. an option that is available on that model type)
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2012, 11:04 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If a Rolex has been modified to install a dial, bezel, etc. that was not part of that model's original options, then you will be required to pay them to return the watch to one of the original equipment options as part of the service. This is to preserve authenticity of Rolex model references.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 02:37 AM   #4
OysterDavid
Banned

In the USA, Rolex keeps a very tight grip on parts. An owner wishing a dial change can have it done, at cost, but only in tandem with a full service. So, whatever is charged for the service, plus the dial and the dial is changed only with a style that is/was consistant with how the watch originally shipped. So, if you have you sights on an Arab numbered Datejust dial, when your watch was shipped with a stick dial, you'll likely be turned down. In the bizzaro world logic of Rolex, that's an upgrade and they won't allow the change in style. Rolex USA also generally doesn't do changes in sport models...so if your Yachtmaster came with the white dial, and you covet the slate dial, you can probably scratch that as well. The RSC is also likely to insist on a new hand set along with the dial swap.

Oh, and in the USA, that old dial will be kept at the service facility and called a 'trade'. Wouldn't want that original dial to fall into the wrong hands, now, would we?
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2013, 01:20 AM   #5
p-hunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 Panda Dial
Rolex USA have to be crazy. I mean if you buy a new Dial why do they keep your old one as a "trade". Do they keep them in a locker for destroy them later.
No they will propobly sell them to another Rolex owner that wants to have a dial change. Thats what I think. Have anyone gone back to the shop and ask them to show your old dial for you or told them you want to change back to your old one?

I did a change on my WG Daytona from the Black Arab to the Panda Dial incl hands.
I have to pay for the Panda Dial. The work for the change it was incl in the price for the dial. USD 750 and they gave the old one back in the original box.
No questions asked "what are you going to do with it"
Later I sold it for USD 1500
The change was made without doing any service as the watch is only 2 years old.

BTW I called the dealer that have sold the watch in Genéve and wanted to get the Dial from them as it was cheaper. She told me that they are not allowed to ship anyhting out from their shop with the Rolex Crown or text on it. She could send me a linkpiece but not a Dial as they did not know where the Dial will end up. But I was very welcome to do the change in their shop and i could keep the old one.

So I think we are pretty lucky here in EU as the regulations are done by Rolex Swiss standard. It seem like Rolex USA think they are the owner of your watches.
They act like parents watching their kids.
p-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote