The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 May 2009, 11:34 PM   #31
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, SkyDweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post
That's YOUR opinion. My Deepsea is neither tacky or obnoxious thank you very much. I think the larger watches suit those who are more active / sporty in their lifestyle. I have different watches for different occasions. My 36mm Raymond Weil goes very well with shirt and tie but looks like a fashion faux pas with shorts and T-shirt.
I wouldn't wear my 36mm Gold Tissot on the beach - my father did but he was in his 50s / 60s. I'm in my 30s and would look like a young fogey wearing a gold 36mm watch on the beach. When jogging, swimming, mountain biking, jet skiing etc or simply cooking a BBQ - Deepsea or Seamaster. I think Rolex certainly needed to modernize otherwise it would run out of new customers and only be selling to their long-in-the-tooth customers with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin.
Bang on my friend! And it is ALL opinion, although some are more commonly shared than others (yours for example makes sense to me, and probably to quite a few people. Still, neither way is 'right' or 'wrong' as you identify )
jameshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 11:41 PM   #32
lobo58

Watch: Omega Planet Ocean
Functionality is a part of the equation that should not be overlooked. For a diver down, oh, 100 ft in many parts of the world, a DS might be barely large enough to be read. So, where it might look ostentatious at an awards ceremony, on someone engaged in outdoor activity it is perfectly appropriate.
lobo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 11:41 PM   #33
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post
Bigger seems to be the trend, which is why this is what I'm upgrading to:
I had been looking for a still shot from that scene in Top Secret ever since this big watch topic started popping up. Good job!
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 11:44 PM   #34
chu88y
Banned

Watch: SDDS
as a DeepSea owner I like the size,but not the depth,its just too thick,but I understand why it has to be.
chu88y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 11:45 PM   #35
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

its just the sign of the times... people are getting bigger... just look at film from nfl games in the 1950's and 1960's... the players are half the size.... in the 50's a mens watch was 29-34mm..
rolexgiants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 11:56 PM   #36
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

excellent thread by the way... one of my favorite topics...lol
rolexgiants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 11:57 PM   #37
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
I wish Rolex made GMT's and Explorer II's in 42mm
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 12:08 AM   #38
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshelliwell View Post
agreed, 39mm would have been perfection in my eyes
Double agree!

You guys might want to look into the MKII Vantage. I have one, it's fantastic. Matte dial, 39mm...

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/WSWrapper...e=cg02_new.htm

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 12:28 AM   #39
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Nice MKII.

I keep thinking about ordering a RN MilSub copy from them...that's the only way I'll ever afford a MilSub!!!!!!!!!!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 12:36 AM   #40
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Personally I think a 39mm DayDate would have been more appropriate and very nice. The extra 2mm seems to be just for shock value.
x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought they should have increased it to 38mm.. 39 at most.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 12:48 AM   #41
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I think that people today are bigger than 50 years ago. I collect vintage watches. Lots of Hamiltons and Bulovas. They indeed look a little "small" on me, but look great and feel great under a suit coat or Tux. My 34MM AK and TT Date look fine too for casual wear. My Omega Speedmaster 145.022 feels really big on me. I couldn't imagine wearing anything larger than that and I'm 6'00 and 240LBS. Good taste requires that nothing worn yells out, "look at me!!!!."
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 12:48 AM   #42
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Hey TheDude, that is one seriously cool wristshot. The watch looks superb too.
SeamasterGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 12:59 AM   #43
flyback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedccr View Post
Again, i think we should 'reverse think' on the DS. Starting with a 3135 movement, what kind of case makes it down to 4km? If those who have domain knowledge say that the SD4000 case can actually already make it down that deep already, then i concede that i may have chosen that smaller size. But if to house the 3135 and intend for it go down repeatedly to 4km mandates a case and crystal of that size, then it is a product of function over form. End of story.
Except that diving to 4km is a child's fantasy. It's not something that "very few owners will actually do," as is often said here - it's something that nobody will do, because it's impossible. 3900m is over five times the world record, and that wasn't even achieved by actual diving - it was "simulated" in a hyperbaric chamber. Real dives haven't gone more than about 1/8th that deep.

So that said, the DSSD design process probably went the other way around: Rolex decided to make a great big dive watch of such-and-such dimensions, and worked out in reverse what incredible depth they could make it withstand. A product of "function" following form.
flyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:09 AM   #44
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I'm not so much upset over the size as I am the design, simply blowing up the case and beefing out the lugs doesn't do anything for me, I would be ok if they genuinely reengineered some watches but slapping on some extra metal isn't appealing to me, it wrecks what was an elegant case JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:09 AM   #45
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Let's not forget that Rolex is hardly starting a revolution with its larger sized watches - it's still a very conservative increase compared with the huge watches Omega, Breitling and Panerai are bringing out. What they are doing, as I've said several times before, is increasing choice, and choice is something that's always been at the heart of the Rolex ethos - look at the Datejust and Day Date, how many different dial, bracelet, bezel and metal combinations are there for them? What Rolex are doing is something very clever - they're trying to appeal to a market that might pass over a Rolex for another brand that does offer larger case sizes. If Rolex didn't, then I'm not entirely sure how they could market themselves to a new crowd.

I, for one, welcome the DDII and DJII - I think they will help to open up Rolex to a new generation.
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:09 AM   #46
danberger

its down to what you feel comfortable with .... both in look and comfort.

I have GMTiic (40mm), Jaeger Master Compressor (41mm) and Breitling Navitimer World (46mm) - the Rolex & jaeger look and feel great...the Breitling looks OK and is uncomfortable after a few hours wear. When I stick on a smaller watch it just now looks odd to me - and that is conditioning (call it fashion) from all the watch advertisments & magazines we see (just like we are conditioned to know a pretty girl when we see one !!)

In my mind a watch is only to big if the head is actually wider than your wrist so as long as you can look at the watch straight on and see some strap it is OK
danberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:12 AM   #47
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

I don't want choice.

I'm thirty three years old and have spent those years with Rolex telling me what to wear and what I want.

If they give me choice I would find that by attempting to give me identity they are actually taking it away from me.

The nurturing, controlled environment my watch brand had sealed me within has been punctured.

The DSSD, DDII and DJII have ruined my life.

Who am I?

What do I want?

J
Old 23 May 2009, 01:19 AM   #48
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
Nice MKII.

I keep thinking about ordering a RN MilSub copy from them...that's the only way I'll ever afford a MilSub!!!!!!!!!!

J

Thanks!

BTW - I have a LRRP that should be arriving in late June. The very first have started hitting customers. Jocke and his friend have #1 and #2. Anyway, those are an interesting take on this discussion since they're 43mm pieces.

Jocke took this shot to compare the ExpII to the LRRP:

This is a thread with one of the first customer deliveries after Jocke got his at Basel.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=260387

...and a thread with photos taken by MkII...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=262228

I have a Kingston on order too - "only" 39mm, which is refreshingly "correct".
Old 23 May 2009, 01:22 AM   #49
AJF

Watch: 15223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Good taste requires that nothing worn yells out, "look at me!!!!."

AJF
AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:23 AM   #50
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Wow that looks huge compared to the Explorer II

Pretty cool tho!

J
Old 23 May 2009, 01:23 AM   #51
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danberger View Post
its down to what you feel comfortable with .... both in look and comfort.

I have GMTiic (40mm), Jaeger Master Compressor (41mm) and Breitling Navitimer World (46mm) - the Rolex & jaeger look and feel great...the Breitling looks OK and is uncomfortable after a few hours wear. When I stick on a smaller watch it just now looks odd to me - and that is conditioning (call it fashion) from all the watch advertisments & magazines we see (just like we are conditioned to know a pretty girl when we see one !!)

In my mind a watch is only to big if the head is actually wider than your wrist so as long as you can look at the watch straight on and see some strap it is OK
It's not conditioning - it's built into our DNA to find certain things attractive (or aesthetically pleasing) be it a girl or a pattern. It is symmetry to some extent but mainly what we percieve as beautiful pretty much boils down to phi.
Old 23 May 2009, 01:26 AM   #52
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Why does everyone care so much about what other people like?

When a poster asks, why do you buy/wear a Rolex, everyone says "I buy it for me, I don't care what anyone else thinks, "

Then these questions constantly come up: do you think this looks good, does this look bad, is it too small, is it too big, etc, etc.

Can't we all just stop judging each other's choices? And on another note, if you don't want the answer, don't ask the question! Ugh!
ijen0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:28 AM   #53
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post
Hey TheDude, that is one seriously cool wristshot. The watch looks superb too.
Thanks!

I took that in January in Death Valley. That crater is called Ubehebe Crater.

http://www.ziggy1.com/ays/dv/dvuc.htm
Old 23 May 2009, 01:29 AM   #54
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post

When a poster asks, why do you buy/wear a Rolex, everyone says "I buy it for me, I don't care what anyone else thinks, "

Then these questions constantly come up: do you think this looks good, does this look bad, is it too small, is it too big, etc, etc.

Can't we all just stop judging each other's choices? And on another note, if you don't want the answer, don't ask the question! Ugh!

Well, I agree to a point. I don't think we should tear at each other violently, but if we didn't voice opinions, there would be very little to do here and this place would be a lot less interesting. If we all agreed on everything, it'd be a lot less interesting too.

Old 23 May 2009, 01:31 AM   #55
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
Wow that looks huge compared to the Explorer II

Pretty cool tho!

J
Yeah, that's the same body for the MilSub. FYI.

3mm sounds so inconsequential...
Old 23 May 2009, 01:32 AM   #56
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Well, I agree to a point. I don't think we should tear at each other violently, but if we didn't voice opinions, there would be very little to do here and this place would be a lot less interesting.

I agree and I should have phrased better...!

It seems like too many members are phrasing their opinions as insults - it's easy to say "not my style," or "if you like it, go for it!" Not necessary to say something is "ridiculous" or "vulgar" or any of the other unfriendly phrases being passed around lately.

ijen0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:33 AM   #57
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:

is everything OK Jen? Chin up girl, it's Friday.
Old 23 May 2009, 01:37 AM   #58
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Thanks!

BTW - I have a LRRP that should be arriving in late June. The very first have started hitting customers. Jocke and his friend have #1 and #2. Anyway, those are an interesting take on this discussion since they're 43mm pieces.

Jocke took this shot to compare the ExpII to the LRRP:

This is a thread with one of the first customer deliveries after Jocke got his at Basel.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=260387

...and a thread with photos taken by MkII...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=262228

I have a Kingston on order too - "only" 39mm, which is refreshingly "correct".
I hope you're right, I've been given three different dates on my LRRP and the latest was "end of June" I'm starting to get quite impatient
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 01:38 AM   #59
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree and I should have phrased better...!

True.. but I kind of proved your point when I corrected you. So many interpretations and ways of communicating ideas, I should have just let your comments stand on their own...

We could all try to be a bit "better" to one another.
Old 23 May 2009, 01:39 AM   #60
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I think it comes down to the last part of the quote from Patek. It revolves around the deep respect for a particular brand's heritage. I think a good number of the larger, high quality watches available follow this mantra. Panerai is one of them. That brand has always been on the larger side, and for good reason.