The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 24 November 2023, 05:41 PM   #1
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Who went Panerai and never went back to Rolex?

I think I did.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 06:49 PM   #2
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Have both and have gone back and forth in the past.
There’s room in my collection for both, but I’d say I’m more into Panerai now.
I only have two Rolex, with a future third being a Polar Exp II (next year).

I’d say there are many more PAMs I’d like to own besides the three I already have.

Bonus for someone like me is the fact they are “out of favor” in some circles, which makes me want them even more.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 10:40 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Rolex is where I started and where I will end up but I do like Panerai. In the early 2000's, when Panerai was surging, I went in deep with them and only had two Rolex watches and about 5-7 Panerai's. As the brand changed over the years I did not like the direction of the company nor what is, at best some made up history. I then dropped Panerai and stayed away for years. My SA at my local Panerai AD made a great statement and one that I am currently using. He said that he has set all of the issues aside and just focuses on the watches he likes. I have done the same and am at peace with the brand while acknowledging that the brand, and how it has been run, is not what I prefer. I currently own a 233, 317, 992 and a 590 and a lot of straps.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 03:39 AM   #4
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Im passionate about Panerais maybe a bit more so you will find me posting here more as it feeds my passion of watches by keeping me engrossed, be it straps , winding and fussing over Pam stuff.

However Rolex will always be Rolex , no brand come anywhere near the king. Rolex as a package of value , quality , reliability , fit and finish is unmatchable. Conclusion I will have room for both the brands.
Old 25 November 2023, 05:18 AM   #5
djman
"TRF" Member

I started with Panerai back in 2005, then went to Rolex and Patek and am now back with Panerai, albeit older models rather than the new stuff they’re bringing out. It feels like Panerai are enjoying a bit of a resurgence of late, but I might be wrong. People are starting to post about them on forums, do reviews of the older models … I think they’re great watches. I’ve just bought a 232 and a 190 and now I’m looking for a dot dial 233.
djman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 06:58 AM   #6
Cru Jones

Definitely not an either or for me, but I’m clearly stuck in the (2000s) past with Panerai. I’m fine with that.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 03:48 PM   #7
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djman View Post
I started with Panerai back in 2005, then went to Rolex and Patek and am now back with Panerai, albeit older models rather than the new stuff they’re bringing out. It feels like Panerai are enjoying a bit of a resurgence of late, but I might be wrong. People are starting to post about them on forums, do reviews of the older models … I think they’re great watches. I’ve just bought a 232 and a 190 and now I’m looking for a dot dial 233.
In my area (So. Cal.), they seem to have opened several new boutiques and this may be the case across the US which could be helping their popularity. Plus you can go into the boutique and there are a lot of watches to choose from that you can actually purchase on the spot.

That said, I will likely never sell either of my Rolex (Sub-C and Exp II Polar), or my Panerai (PAM01288)
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 05:03 PM   #8
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
well i got into pams about the same time as rolex but i stuck with panerai until now.

but you have to consider the context that rolex started to become snobbish and panerai started to become mediocre
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 05:38 PM   #9
xrole
"TRF" Member

I think Panerai are among the damn ugliest watches I have ever seen, so I definitely have no plans to switch to them from Rolex! That leaves more for you Panerei lovers I guess. :D
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 05:52 PM   #10
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I wore my 233 exclusively for the first 2 months of ownership. Mostly to get an idea of what I really feel about the Panerai. I definitely love it. Even more so after getting a vintager strap. I haven’t felt that way about getting a new watch since I got the Milgauss.

That being said. I wouldn’t walk away from Rolex. It wouldn’t make sense to anyway seeing as how Panerai history is entwined with Rolex
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 06:02 PM   #11
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I did! Nothing wears like a Panerai. Unfortunately I’ve just had to sell a couple of older pieces and I’m left a Tritium 024 which luckily was my favourite. Again like many I prefer earlier models.
Old 25 November 2023, 07:30 PM   #12
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I did! Nothing wears like a Panerai. Unfortunately I’ve just had to sell a couple of older pieces and I’m left a Tritium 024 which luckily was my favourite. Again like many I prefer earlier models.

Those were beauties. I hope you can get them back soon.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 08:13 PM   #13
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Who went Panerai and never went back to Rolex?

I always liked Panerai as a brand but Rolex stays my number one brand.
Although I am tired of the Rolex (AD ) games and sick company culture.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 09:32 PM   #14
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
My love for the higher-end watches started with a Panerai 24, then I collected many more. I had 5 Panerai all of a sudden then bought my first Rolex in the Deepsea back in 2012-2013. Bit by bit I started to gravitate toward Rolex and AP and lo and behold all my Panerai were gone. I was Panerai-less for a few years, and with Rolex and AP I was always craving to have one Panerai back in the collection. I re-entered last year with a Panerai and love it. There is something special owing a Panerai, its distinct and unique style and design. It is a fun and classy brand and most into Rolex will have one Panerai. I get tonnes of compliments when I wear a Panerai. It's a brand for people who are well educated in watches and can appreciate other brands rather than those who think Rolex is the end all etc, the brand whore type. You know those types, the ones who come on this brand forum and insult the Panerai owners and call them the ugliest watch etc.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 10:35 PM   #15
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Driven by the inability to buy Rolex watches, I started looking at other brands.
Panerai drew me in because it is so different than any other watch I have owned.
I will always have one, and where it regularly, but when I was recently given the chance to get a Rolex again, I came back to Rolex.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 01:23 AM   #16
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I love both brands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 02:16 AM   #17
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
Panerai and Rolex are my two favorite brands, but one does not exclude the other.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 02:30 AM   #18
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Those were beauties. I hope you can get them back soon.
Thank you my friend. They will return I’m sure
Old 26 November 2023, 04:39 AM   #19
HaleL
"TRF" Member

We will see! My first Rolex is being worn today while my first Panerai is in the mail to me.
I’ll report back lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
HaleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 07:24 AM   #20
funkright
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs. All of them!
Icon10 I have my preferred mix right now...

PAM627 & 116710LN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipiccy_image.jpg (274.4 KB, 669 views)
funkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 08:49 AM   #21
Cassidyanne
Banned

LoL
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 12:48 PM   #22
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
I am eyeing a PAM comeback. I’ve been wearing my Sea Dweller for 9 years and now a Starbucks and my trusty Speedy Pro. But I’m really itching to bring a Pam back into the stable. I still have tons of straps and buckles. I miss the different looks I can create by switching out the shoes. Not sure which one, I can’t decide which to zero in on but the looking is enjoyable for now.
Old 26 November 2023, 03:12 PM   #23
John Deaux
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't say I've completely given up my Rolex, still own several but they don't hardly ever get worn. I'd say I wear Panerai 99% of the time. Opinions vary, but Rolex has turned me off over the past several years.
John Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 04:43 PM   #24
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

Completely different watch, completely different mood, I need both (SS GMT Master and PAM 111).
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 05:04 PM   #25
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Love a blended collection. Down to 3 Panerai now. 233, 372 and a 390. Panerai classics.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 01:47 PM   #26
Mr. Greene
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 7A28 7049
I have to say after getting my Panerai I’ve been impressed. The customer service is better and the product is great. After getting my 915 I called their customer service line for a question and after talking with them they sent me a nice coffee table book which I didn’t expect.

Submariner 16610
Explorer II 1655
Panerai 915
President of the Royal Commanders Club
Mr. Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 03:27 PM   #27
John Deaux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greene View Post
I have to say after getting my Panerai I’ve been impressed. The customer service is better and the product is great. After getting my 915 I called their customer service line for a question and after talking with them they sent me a nice coffee table book which I didn’t expect.
Yes, that is certainly a different experience than walking into a Rolex AD and they literally laugh at the fact you expected to see watches in the case.
Old 27 November 2023, 04:01 PM   #28
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deaux View Post
Yes, that is certainly a different experience than walking into a Rolex AD and they literally laugh at the fact you expected to see watches in the case.
If Panerei or any other similarly priced watch brand were in as much demand as Rolex the situation would likely be the same ar at least very similar. Rolex is a victim of its own success.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 04:58 AM   #29
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
I love my PAM 233. I have been a die-hard Rolex fan for almost 30 years, but they have lost my respect and interest over the last several years with no supply and AD games. I'll probably always have a Rolex in my collection, but I have wandered from Rolex and found other brands that I really enjoy, including Panerai.
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 03:03 PM   #30
John Deaux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
If Panerei or any other similarly priced watch brand were in as much demand as Rolex the situation would likely be the same ar at least very similar. Rolex is a victim of its own success.
Not having a product available due to popularity is not the same as the holier than thou attitude displayed by the usual Rolex salesperson. I called a Panerai AD in Florida looking for a watch they didn't have and was in high demand at the the time. I was told they would do their best to find one, which they did in a day. I have tried calling Rolex ADs and they literally wouldn't even talk to me on the phone, said I had to be in the store to discuss a watch, whether it was in stock or not.