The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 November 2012, 05:39 AM   #1
justicepool
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 16613
Opinons on what could be my first Rolex?

Ok group, I am still in search of my first Rolex. I am leaning towards a TT (I guess I am somewhat old school). =)

What I want to make sure of in making my purchase, is that whatever I buy is 100% Rolex (no aftermarket parts).

Any opinions are greatly appreciated. When I first decided I would do this, I set 2K as my purchase price for a used watch. Please keep in mind that prior to 7 days ago I had never spent more than $200 on a watch. (I purchased a Bulova for $450 last weekend). I quickly increased my budget to the 3.5K range because I could not find anything I liked in the 2k range, now I am firm on something sub 5K, but hoping to find something around 3 to 3.5. I know myself well, and know that when I get into something I go full steam ahead (meaning this will not be my last Rolex by any means). An example is my suit collection. A few years ago I realized that I only had 4 suits. I decided to spoil myself with some nice suits. Now, I have over 45 suits in my closet (way too many IMHO). Same story with shoes. Ok, I am sure there are others out there like me. But I digress.....

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on this watch and suggestions:

https://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/tw...m&watchTypes=U

I would prefer to purchase from a trusted seller on this web site if I can find something similar from one with a well established reputation on this site. Thank you in advance for your time,

John
justicepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2012, 05:43 AM   #2
justicepool
"TRF" Member

Incidentally, I have not been able to post in the WTB section of the forum. :(
Old 23 November 2012, 05:45 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
hi

the watch is nice, its a personal choice and at least you know what you want!

the price however, is high.

keep looking or visit our classifieds. a decent 2t dj on jubilee between 7 - 20yrs old in serviced cond is around $2500 - $3k

older non quickset on acrylic are under $2k

oyster bands command about 20% in some cases but jubilee are still great imo.

good luck!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2012, 05:50 AM   #4
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
I believe 16 is the number of post required before you can post in the For Sale WTB section. At your price range of $3 to 3.5K you are looking at a nice older Datejust, Explorer or older (likely not so nice) Exp II.

I understand not paying more then $200 for a watch; however, there are some big differences. When you paid $200 the moment you walked out of the store it was likely worthless. Rolex watches are a commodity and will continue to have value.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2012, 05:50 AM   #5
justicepool
"TRF" Member

Still learning. I've seen Oyster and Jubilee in various descriptions, I just don't know the difference between the two. Also, quickset refers to how one sets the date?

And acrylic refers to....?

Thank you!

john
Old 23 November 2012, 05:53 AM   #6
justicepool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ab View Post
I believe 16 is the number of post required before you can post in the For Sale WTB section. At your price range of $3 to 3.5K you are looking at a nice older Datejust, Explorer or older (likely not so nice) Exp II.

I understand not paying more then $200 for a watch; however, there are some big differences. When you paid $200 the moment you walked out of the store it was likely worthless. Rolex watches are a commodity and will continue to have value.
George,

It just never occurred to me to buy something else. I have a few rectangular Seikos that I've had for a long time and they served me well. I just never thought about getting something else until the last week or so. Odd I know, but thats me! :). Of course, when I bought those Sekio watches (20 years ago and 15 years ago), $200 was about all I could spend on a watch. :)

John