The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 April 2014, 10:33 PM   #1
seansong93
Banned

Rolex Submariner 5513 Pre Comex vs Mark 3 Maxi

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and this is my first time posting. Here it goes!

I am interested in buying a Rolex Submariner 5513 and in the last month I've been incessantly looking at the minute details of the 5513 and all of its variants, so much so I think it would be wise just to go for it and finally buy one.

Right now I have narrowed it down to two 5513's I am interested in and I need help deciding which would be the better option.

Hopefully I get all the details right but could be wrong

Firstly a 1977 "pre-comex" maxi dial mark I 5513. It has beautiful patina to it but the pearl is missing and has been replaced with something that resembles a pearl. Watch comes without box or papers

Next is a 1980 maxi dial mark 3 5513. It also has nicely aged lumes but not as nice as the first one. The difference between this watch and the other is there is a matching pearl in this one, and being a mark 3 maxi dial, the "submariner" comes first. And a minute detail, while they are both maxi dials, I believe the mark 3 had the largest lume plots of all the maxis, so thats another difference. This one has box but no papers.

Both watches are in good condition allegedly. Both watches come with the 93150 bracelet. I am based in London and these watches are in Germany so I will be buying them online.

In terms of price, they are roughly the same price with the mark 3 being marginally more expensive (100-200 pounds)

I've done research on the dealers and spoken to them and they both seem like pretty reputable dealers. So let me know which you guys prefer and why!

Thank you guys for reading my post and inputting I really appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2741348.jpg (24.4 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg 2741348c.jpg (71.5 KB, 671 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 1.16.41 PM.jpg (27.7 KB, 669 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 1.16.18 PM.jpg (30.9 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 1.23.09 PM.jpg (32.8 KB, 667 views)
seansong93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

"Firstly a 1977 "pre-comex" maxi dial mark I 5513. It has beautiful patina to it but the pearl is missing and has been replaced with something that resembles a pearl. Watch comes without box or papers."

The Pre Comex Dial and the Mk I Maxi Dial are two different dials produced for the 5513. That being said both watches you are considering are very nice, and you can't go wrong with either one. My vote, based on the limited pictures would be for the Maxi III. I would swap out that thin font insert and put a period correct one in to take its place. Good luck in tour search.
You might find this helpful as a resource.
www.5513mattedial.com
Old 12 April 2014, 03:53 AM   #3
Ben39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansong93 View Post
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and this is my first time posting. Here it goes!

I am interested in buying a Rolex Submariner 5513 and in the last month I've been incessantly looking at the minute details of the 5513 and all of its variants, so much so I think it would be wise just to go for it and finally buy one.

Right now I have narrowed it down to two 5513's I am interested in and I need help deciding which would be the better option.

Hopefully I get all the details right but could be wrong

Firstly a 1977 "pre-comex" maxi dial mark I 5513. It has beautiful patina to it but the pearl is missing and has been replaced with something that resembles a pearl. Watch comes without box or papers

Next is a 1980 maxi dial mark 3 5513. It also has nicely aged lumes but not as nice as the first one. The difference between this watch and the other is there is a matching pearl in this one, and being a mark 3 maxi dial, the "submariner" comes first. And a minute detail, while they are both maxi dials, I believe the mark 3 had the largest lume plots of all the maxis, so thats another difference. This one has box but no papers.

Both watches are in good condition allegedly. Both watches come with the 93150 bracelet. I am based in London and these watches are in Germany so I will be buying them online.

In terms of price, they are roughly the same price with the mark 3 being marginally more expensive (100-200 pounds)

I've done research on the dealers and spoken to them and they both seem like pretty reputable dealers. So let me know which you guys prefer and why!

Thank you guys for reading my post and inputting I really appreciate it!
Check this side out, helpful and I believe u can find answer here too

http://www.5513mattedial.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont Miller II View Post
"Firstly a 1977 "pre-comex" maxi dial mark I 5513. It has beautiful patina to it but the pearl is missing and has been replaced with something that resembles a pearl. Watch comes without box or papers."

The Pre Comex Dial and the Mk I Maxi Dial are two different dials produced for the 5513. That being said both watches you are considering are very nice, and you can't go wrong with either one. My vote, based on the limited pictures would be for the Maxi III. I would swap out that thin font insert and put a period correct one in to take its place. Good luck in tour search.
www.5513mattedial.com
Agree with John, will choose maxi 3 over precomex although both are nice!

U can't go wrong with lollipop dial
Ben39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2014, 04:16 AM   #4
seansong93
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont Miller II View Post
www.5513mattedial.com
Thanks for the reference link, it was very helpful!!

Okay, thanks for the advice, I didn't even realise the insert was a replacement. Is the most obvious way to tell whether the insert is period correct the thickness of the font numbers?

I keep this thread updated as to my decision! Based on the advice I am leaning towards the mark 3 dial :)

Cheers!
Old 12 April 2014, 04:23 AM   #5
seansong93
Banned

Hey guys, do any of you by any chance know the time period where rolex used standard t19 acrylic domes, and when they used the superdomes?? Cheers!
Old 12 April 2014, 04:27 AM   #6
seansong93
Banned

Thanks guys for the help I really appreciate it! I will keep this thread updated when I do make the decision
Old 12 April 2014, 08:00 AM   #7
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Both look very nice - good luck!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2014, 09:46 PM   #8
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
I'd go with the Mk3 as well.

Good luck

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2014, 12:31 AM   #9
seansong93
Banned

Thanks everyone! I am leaning towars the Mark 3 as well, waiting for dealer to respond. Will post updates
Old 18 April 2014, 07:31 AM   #10
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Hey guys, do any of you by any chance know the time period where rolex used standard t19 acrylic domes, and when they used the superdomes?? Cheers!
Not sure... probably stopped the superdome in the late 70s. Looks like both of these watches have service T19 crystals not superdomes. I'd go with the mk3 like others have said. But that skinny font insert needs to go.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 09:30 AM   #11
seansong93
Banned

Thanks 007Sub! Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm now waiting for easter to be over so I can proceed with the purchase :)

Ill let you know how it goes!

Just a quick question, might seem like a dumb question, but when I replace the insert, can I re use the pearl that is on this insert?

Thanks!
Old 18 April 2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

in this case i would go for the maxi III
as Beaumont said, the service insert should be changed, the look of the watch will change drasticly !
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 01:18 AM   #13
seansong93
Banned

Thanks Robbvym! At the moment all I can afford is the watch as bezels can be quite expensive, especially here in europe :/

But when I have enough again I will look to change it :)

do you think it'll be hard to find one with a matching pearl??
Old 19 April 2014, 07:53 AM   #14
xela
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Robbvym! At the moment all I can afford is the watch as bezels can be quite expensive, especially here in europe :/

But when I have enough again I will look to change it :)

do you think it'll be hard to find one with a matching pearl??

U can remove pearl from existing thin font and replace on the new fat font insert. If u need help with a matching pearl, I do have some spares around and could have a matching one.
xela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 09:12 AM   #15
seansong93
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xela View Post
U can remove pearl from existing thin font and replace on the new fat font insert. If u need help with a matching pearl, I do have some spares around and could have a matching one.
Hi Xela! Thanks I might be interested. I will wait to purchase the watch first and then let you know :)

THANKS!!
Old 29 October 2017, 01:31 PM   #16
uncletan
"TRF" Member

Hi, just wondering, did you manage to buy maxiIII as suggested?

thanks
uncletan is offline   Reply With Quote