The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 28 June 2018, 04:30 AM   #1
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Rolex 1655 Fresh & Clean Back From The Ridley Spa

I been dealing with Bob over at Watchmakers International going back 10 years or so.

Depending on my service needs, I primarily either stick with W.I. or L.A.W.W.

When it came time for my 1655 service, I knew Bob Ridley was the man I wanted for this job. I chose Bob for this service for many reasons.. One reason in particular is because Bob will spend a lot of time with you one on one addressing your service needs. More time over and beyond what anyone else would spend with me and my list of concerns and requirements. I also find Bob to be the most detailed and meticulous with his skills when working on very rare and fine timepieces when compared to other service providers I have used in the past.

The rotor no longer charged the movement to full power reserve, the tube and crown were worn and hard to screw in, so I never unscrewed it to set the time. I was also concerned that the watch movement had dirt and over oil contamination. The service history is unknown to the watch, no service marks inside the case back. The gentlemen I purchased the watch from, has owned it since the early 80's and has had it in his safe rarely worn since. This gentlemen purchased this 1655 from his personal friend who was the original owner, who purchased it new in 74. He claimed the watch was never serviced before he purchased it and he himself never serviced it. I believed him, since under a loop I could not see any signs of a previous service. So this service was long over due.

I have been dreading getting this piece serviced for some time, due to the fact that the hands are so easily damaged, more so than any rolex produced. Not only are the hands painted and can get many tool marks and chipped paint from dismounting them, but the orange hand in particular, has about as much tritium surface area as a milsub hour hand.. Just looking at the orange hand the wrong way could cause the tritium to crack. It's very rare to find an Orange hand in un-cracked condition (pic below)

These were concerns I went over with Bob via telephone. Our conversation lasted almost an hour. It's safe to say Bob has serviced many of these 1655's over the years, he knew exactly how to handle it and what extra precautions to take.

I overnighted the watch to Bob and he promptly sent me an email with a list of concerns with pictures about what needed to be repaired. (pics below)

At no point in time did Bob pressure me to replace certain expensive worn components of the movement. He simply told me the pro's and con's and what his recommendation was, to keep my piece preserved and protected for years to come. I agreed to the laundry list and on he went with the work.

Bob sent me an email on a Friday night, informing me that my piece just finished the 2nd cleaning and now reassembly. He said the watch responded beautifully to the entire service and he will test it over the weekend, then case up early the following week.

hands and dial re installed

That next Tuesday I received an email from Jana his assistant, informing me the watch was all packed up and ready to be overnighted back. I received the watch back this AM. The watch was packed very secure to rolex spec in a special plastic shipping container and it is running better than ever.

Even though I told Bob a pressure test was not necessary as I do not get my vintage pieces wet, he dry pressure tested it anyways just to 100ft and he said it holds pressure perfectly.

Bob included W.I.'s 2 year warranty on the timepiece as well.

The hands are in pristine condition and so is the dial, those were my primary concerns of damage. Absolutely stunning job on a tricky watch to service.

I cannot speak more highly about the service W.I. continues to provide on my rare and most treasured timepieces. It's hard to find service providers like W.I. today. So I am very happy they are around. Thanks for preserving and protecting my timepiece.

Until the next time.

Old 28 June 2018, 04:46 AM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

I’m curious how you can tell if a Watch has been serviced before with a loupe? Are You looking for Dial damage? I ask because I have a 2nd Owner 5513 Maxi MK1 That I don’t think has ever been serviced either.
Old 28 June 2018, 04:56 AM   #3
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I’m curious how you can tell if a Watch has been serviced before with a loupe? Are You looking for Dial damage? I ask because I have a 2nd Owner 5513 Maxi MK1 That I don’t think has ever been serviced either.
No service markings on the watch for one thing. Most watchmakers mark the caseback when they service or repair it.

Also, movement screws were clean, no signs of tool marks. Only tool marks are from the movement mounting screws that free the movement from the watch case... I myself had to remove the movement to install a new crystal and perform a case inspection when I purchased the watch.. The original crystal was very old and very worn, definetly original to the watch. the crystal had bruising in multiple locations as well as some tiny stress cracks. A new crystal was installed within 24hr of receiving the piece so I could protect it from moisture ingress.

Dial and hands were perfectly preserved under 20x magnification. All parts original to the watch, significant wear on the reverser wheel bearings.

So I put all that visual evidence up against what the person said who I purchased it from and it all made sense.
Old 28 June 2018, 05:00 AM   #4
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
No service markings on the watch for one thing. Most watchmakers mark the caseback when they service or repair it.

Also, movement screws were clean, no signs of tool marks. Dial and hands were perfectly preserved under 20x magnification. All parts original to the watch, significant wear on the reverser wheel bearings.

So I put all that visual evidence up against what the person said who I purchased it from and it all made sense.
Cool,Thanks for the Tips.
Old 28 June 2018, 05:45 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Great detailed review. I echo ALL of your comments about W.I., along with your concerns about servicing vintage Rolexes, and the 1655 in particular. (I own one too.) I've also used Bob and Phillip for about 10 years and I can't say enough good things about them. Their care, customer relations and attention to detail are unmatched.

Congrats on a stunning Explorer II, and maybe now that's he's done with you, I can get my '69 Speedy back!
Old 28 June 2018, 05:52 AM   #6
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Such a sexy watch, thanks for sharing!!
Old 28 June 2018, 06:28 AM   #7
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Please share the contact information for Watchmakers International.

My all-original 9411 (the black one) needs the dial cleaned, along with a general service. I have been thinking LA or ABC but I like this guy from what you have posted...

I normally handle the mundane stuff myself but dial cleaning is very tricky stuff. Well above my pay grade.

PM if you don't want to share publicly for some reason.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28 June 2018, 06:45 AM   #8
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Wow looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 28 June 2018, 07:15 AM   #9
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Please share the contact information for Watchmakers International.

My all-original 9411 (the black one) needs the dial cleaned, along with a general service. I have been thinking LA or ABC but I like this guy from what you have posted...

I normally handle the mundane stuff myself but dial cleaning is very tricky stuff. Well above my pay grade.

PM if you don't want to share publicly for some reason.

Thanks in advance.
LAWW from what I hear from my friend is currently on a 15+ week lead time unless you care to pay for a rush service. not sure what that would cost.

W.I. site link below
http://www.watchmakers.com/contactus.html

I have dealt with Both Bob Ridley and LAWW a number of times. You cannot go wrong with either. But when it comes to specific service needs, I choose accordingly.

For what you need done, I would say Bob Ridley is the man for that job.
Old 28 June 2018, 10:13 AM   #10
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@SubKing
Great post, and your 1655 looks impeccable.
Old 28 June 2018, 10:55 AM   #11
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Amazing. Do you mind sharing the price of the service?
Old 28 June 2018, 11:41 AM   #12
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Amazing. Do you mind sharing the price of the service?
I’d guess around $1,500 with Parts,The OP can tell me if i’m Hot or cold.
Old 28 June 2018, 12:02 PM   #13
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
That looks awesome, and thanks for the detailed review! I also have a 1655 and will definitely be checking out WI when it’s time for service.

Last edited by Sjmoore11; 28 June 2018 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 28 June 2018, 12:24 PM   #14
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Nice looking watch. Glad the service is going well, always a bit of anxiety no matter how good the watchmaker is when it comes to a full complete overhaul/service on vintage.
Old 28 June 2018, 12:56 PM   #15
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I’d guess around $1,500 with Parts,The OP can tell me if i’m Hot or cold.
you are in the neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
That looks awesome, and thanks for the detailed review! I also have a 1655 and will definitely be checking out WI when it’s time for service.
Cannot recommend W.I. Any more highly. 1655 is one of the more trickier vintage Rolex to service, but Bob Ridley can accommodate all your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Nice looking watch. Glad the service is going well, always a bit of anxiety no matter how good the watchmaker is when it comes to a full complete overhaul/service on vintage.
For sure. There are always uncontrolled risks when handeling old watches. Paint can flake off the dial just from separating it from the case. Sometimes there is no way around it. But sometimes the risk is worth the reward. When dealing with experts who specifically specialize in vintage, it lowers the risk to a minimum for sure.
Old 7 July 2018, 12:15 PM   #16
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Wow!
Old 8 July 2018, 02:30 AM   #17
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
1655 is a great piece one that has been on my radar for some time. Great review and a wonderful job kudos to Bob thanks for sharing!
Old 8 July 2018, 04:32 AM   #18
Redtele58
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytona
Beautiful watch and great story.
I just went through a similar experience with Phillip Ridley giving my Rootbeer 16753 GMT the spa treatment and service. I could not be happier. I received the same outstanding communication from Phillip and Jana. Phillip was very patient answering my questions and helping me source a new two tone bracelet for the watch. They have a customer for life.
Congratulations on owning such a wonderful watch.
Old 9 July 2018, 02:03 AM   #19
airforce1
"TRF" Member

Isn't it true that RSC San Francisco is a place to send vintage watches without the headaches of say, RSC NY or Dallas? And service costs at RSC SF are a fraction of independents?
Old 11 July 2018, 08:35 PM   #20
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Great piece.
Old 12 July 2018, 12:17 AM   #21
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
Isn't it true that RSC San Francisco is a place to send vintage watches without the headaches of say, RSC NY or Dallas? And service costs at RSC SF are a fraction of independents?
i'm pretty sure the RSC in san fran is just an authorized service center and not an official RSC..

To my knowledge, there is only one remaining rolex controlled service center in the US and that is Dallas TX.
Old 13 July 2018, 09:20 PM   #22
mineral
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1655 Fresh and Clean Back From The Ridley Spa

Nice looking 1655. Have you ever considered to get the period correct bracelet for this beauty? I’m sure it will look even better with bracelet. Cheers

Here is mine. Love this 70s watch.

Old 29 July 2018, 04:12 PM   #23
Glyph
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red Sub
Beautiful Explorer II ref 1655. I chose Bob and Phillip for all of my Rolex watches because of the top notch communication and results.

Cheers
Old 29 July 2018, 08:52 PM   #24
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyph View Post
Beautiful Explorer II ref 1655. I chose Bob and Phillip for all of my Rolex watches because of the top notch communication and results.

Cheers
Communication should be top notch, as the three of you share the same IP address.
Old 29 July 2018, 09:25 PM   #25
Lol-x
Facilitator

Great work Bob Ridley!!!......again

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 29 July 2018, 11:28 PM   #26
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Communication should be top notch, as the three of you share the same IP address.
Old 29 July 2018, 11:46 PM   #27
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Could be a glitch.
Old 29 July 2018, 11:51 PM   #28
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
Could be a glitch.
Almost all his/her posts is praise of Bob and Philip. Could of course just be a coincidence.
Old 29 July 2018, 11:53 PM   #29
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
Could be a glitch.
I was hoping it was a glitch myself, but after Adam pointed that info out, I looked at the post history, almost every post this user has made has boosted Watchmakers in almost every thread they posted in. Now place that along side a matching IP.. Coincidence?
Old 30 July 2018, 02:38 AM   #30
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wait, who are the other two?
Closed Thread