The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 July 2018, 05:54 AM   #1
Math_thomas
"TRF" Member

Rolex 16030 help please.

Hi all I’m new to the forum and pleased to say new to being a Rolex owner. (I hope)
I bought this watch from a auction website That sells bankrupt stock. They are the liquidators. Risky I know.
The listing says this:- ROLEX DATEJUST GENTS AUTOMATIC WATCH. THE WATCH FEATURES A STAINLESS STEEL CASE, A BLACK DIAL WITH SILVER HOUR MARKERS AND A STAINLESS STEEL OYSTER BRACELET WITH DEPLOYMENT CLASP - ADDITIONAL DETAILS: 35MM CASE - SERIAL NO: 8595*** - MODEL NO: 16030 - BRIEF CONDITION REPORT: TIME & DATE CAN BE SET, WATCH IS SCRATCHED THROUGHOUT, BRACELET IS STRETCHED.
When I received it you could see I was well worn and very dirty. Now I can see it’s a jubilee bracelet not what they say it is. I could see from the picture that the glass was in a very poor condition. The magnification on the date had the deepest scratches. I used some of my tools that I use in work (dental technician) to polish the scratches out. A lot of work on the magnification part. I believe this has reduced the magnification as when I got the watch I was sure the number filled magnifier. From the picture you can see the number are larger on the one with scratches on it. So this might explain this. I took these pictures on my iPhone. (Not the best I’m sorry) the serial numbers look better then I can pick up on the phone. Is the bracelet a genuine? What dose the small 16 stand for on the clasp? I know it needs work on the strap but I need to know it’s a genuine strap before I get the work done. My research says that the only way to know 100% if it’s a real Rolex is to remove the back but I do not feel confident in doing that nor do I have the tools. Should I have any concerns about my perches? Thanks for any input.
Math_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 06:13 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Looks good, great job.

Enjoy your watch...…
Old 17 July 2018, 06:18 AM   #3
Math_thomas
"TRF" Member

Thank you
Old 17 July 2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Math_thomas
"TRF" Member

Has anyone got any input?
Old 17 July 2018, 08:55 PM   #5
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Watch appears correct.

That is an alphanumeric date code in the clasp, I6 rather than 16, generally understood to denote June 1984 manufacture of the bracelet. This would be entirely consistent with the manufacture of the main case.

Don't know where you are in Wales, but I'm based in the North West of England and would be happy to carry out complete inspection for free, including case-back opening and movement examination.

If you would also like some "stolen list" checks doing, I could oblige at cost. Don't reckon on the auction house having done so!

H
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Math_thomas
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for the info. I’m in South Wales unfortunately. I’m need to get the watch service and repair the strap so hopefully they will confirm authenticity. Thank you So much for the offer
Old 22 July 2018, 10:25 AM   #7
Math_thomas
"TRF" Member

Any more info?
Old 22 July 2018, 12:05 PM   #8
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math_thomas View Post
Any more info?
Haywood is one of the top dealers in the world and has given his blessings, what more do you need?
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 02:52 PM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The watch is circa 1984, the bracelet is circa 1984 and both the case and bracelet appear genuine. The crystal is aftermarket - the cyclope magnification is not 2.5 which is what factory Rolex crystals utilized.

The dial is a later luminova replacement dial based on the SWISS MADE marking. Circa 1984 tritium dials were marked T SWISS T.

Take the watch to a watchmaker and have it checked and on a personal note, I would recommend doing research before pulling the trigger - not afterward.

There is plenty of info on the internet regarding vintage Datejusts.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 05:11 PM   #10
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Great watch. As the experts have told you all good. Take Haywood up on his offer and you’ll have peace of mind as well.
Old 23 July 2018, 05:55 AM   #11
Math_thomas
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for all your info. I am much more inlighten. Sorry if I came across rude in any way asking for more info. Thanks again all.