The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 November 2012, 06:05 PM   #1
HongNinja
Banned

Watch: 228238, 114060
NAVY SEALS wear Rolex?

I was recently talking with a NAVY Master Chief, who is an operator for the teams, about my Sea Dweller(when I was testing the waters on a trade), and something he said to me that still sticks out in my mind.

While we were bantering back and forth as he expressed interest in my Sea Dweller, he mentioned he had a PAM he was interested trading me. As we talked about watches and such, I asked him "Why are you wanting to give up your PAM for this SD?"(having an answer already formulated in my mind) to which he responds "Brandon, these PAMs are just too pretty. I'm afraid I'm going to bang it on a bulk head and break the damn thing. These Sea Dwellers are tough as nails." He goes on to tell me his wife bought him a SubC already, but he didn't want to wear that one in the "field". Basically he was implying he wanted my SD so he could USE it without worrying about it.

This was impressive to me. I'm a military guy, and have known several special ops guys in my day, and they definitely take their equipment seriously(to say the least). The fact he was talking about acquiring it for this manner solidified even further about these wonderful timepieces, and there is a very high probability there are others out there currently in use. Modern day MilSub perhaps?! Would be cool if Rolex made special editions for these guys.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share the story.
HongNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Great story. Both the Master Chief and the SD tough as nails.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 06:44 PM   #3
perpetualman88

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
very cool man Thanks for sharing
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 06:47 PM   #4
andyboy39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date
Good to know Rolex is still setting the standards in all fields of operations..
andyboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 08:17 PM   #5
ronbo710
Banned

Watch: 118206/SD
They also used to be "issued" to SEALs ...

... back in the '60's. Both the Sub 5512 and 5513. Cheers -Ron
ronbo710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 08:26 PM   #6
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
hmmm...hopefully some SEALs can share with us their current standard issued sub...im really really interested to know more..
Old 4 November 2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokafu View Post
hmmm...hopefully some SEALs can share with us their current standard issued sub...im really really interested to know more..
I agree, it would be interesting, but it seems most of these types of guys don't stick around the forum too long. I honestly think it's because they tire of hearing tragic stories of those fussing over their Submariners with swimming pool chlorine, or a little scratch and sand at the beach.

If that doesn't get them, the horror of hearing how someone's ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX doesn't line up to a micron will usually do them in.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 08:44 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HongNinja View Post
I was recently talking with a NAVY Master Chief, who is an operator for the teams, about my Sea Dweller(when I was testing the waters on a trade), and something he said to me that still sticks out in my mind.

While we were bantering back and forth as he expressed interest in my Sea Dweller, he mentioned he had a PAM he was interested trading me. As we talked about watches and such, I asked him "Why are you wanting to give up your PAM for this SD?"(having an answer already formulated in my mind) to which he responds "Brandon, these PAMs are just too pretty. I'm afraid I'm going to bang it on a bulk head and break the damn thing. These Sea Dwellers are tough as nails." He goes on to tell me his wife bought him a SubC already, but he didn't want to wear that one in the "field". Basically he was implying he wanted my SD so he could USE it without worrying about it.

This was impressive to me. I'm a military guy, and have known several special ops guys in my day, and they definitely take their equipment seriously(to say the least). The fact he was talking about acquiring it for this manner solidified even further about these wonderful timepieces, and there is a very high probability there are others out there currently in use. Modern day MilSub perhaps?! Would be cool if Rolex made special editions for these guys.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share the story.
The French Navy (among many others) opted for the Tudor Submariner,instead of the Rolex Sub.The French Navy demanded rigorous testing and tested several brands These watches were tested to carefully calibrated abusive tests in an attempt to destroy them to see how much abuse it could take before losing accuracy or malfunctioning .After testing,they choose the Tudor and the only thing the French navy didn't order was the Oyster bracelet.They chose a nylon strap because it would be much more easy to change,and easily replaced if broken.Additionally the same Tudor model was used by the US Navy for its UDT and Navy Seals.And I believe the US Army Ranger Battalion (2/75 RGR) there SCUBA teams were issued with the Rolex Tudor Dive watches and worked well in some very tough conditions.And today Tudor military Subs are very sort after like any military watch, especially the early ones with stick hands.And now have quite a high market value,for genuine military watches and now very collectible and I expect far more collectible than any G-shock.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 08:49 PM   #9
MonBK
Banned

I know they work in a tough environment.

My wife watches Master Chef on TV and I've seen them in action with flour flying, knifes chopping and steaks grilling.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 09:19 PM   #10
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

My wife watches Master Chef on TV and I've seen them in action with flour flying, knifes chopping and steaks grilling.

janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokafu View Post
During Vietnam a select few SF guys were issued GMTs. They haven't issued Rolexes to SEALs a long time. Last I knew 2010 time frame, they were issuing G-Shocks.
What they're issued is base on budget which is pretty huge but not Rolex huge. If this issued item breaks or is damaged they can direct exchange it in the supply room, veeery expensive to have Rolexes just sitting around waiting in a supply locker and at that price it would surely be listed a sensitive item. In contrast, conventional military don't get issued anything in reference to watches.

On that note having been military myself, what a person decides to wear to work doesn't certify the product, regardless if they're a Tier 1 DOD asset or not. That's called product endorsing. James Bond wears a PO, didn't buy because of that, I knew enough about the watch itself to influence my purchase. I like the Speed Master but not because astronauts wore them in space, sorry that's just me.

To my knowledge Ranger Battalions were never "issued" Tudors, not in the last 25 years at least. "Issued" in the military means that the unit's XO-executive officer signed off and allocated funds from the units fiscal budget specifically for that item. The item needs to have a serial number listed in the military purchasing system sometimes called an NSN. SEALS and other Special Ops units have a Purchasing Officer who researches and vets equipment for use within the unit particularly if it doesn't have an NSN , often based on feed back from unit members, i.e. - I have an Arc'teryx jacket that would serve as an excellent wet weather shell, which I have used on numerous adventures and has held up to true field use while camping and climbing. He can buy one outright or call the company and request samples which they usually send. Most companies have military sales reps and depts specifically for this. The term issued is a very strong term with a specific meaning in the military. There's more to it but that the gist, works like a civilian company really.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 10:13 PM   #12
ronbo710
Banned

Here's an interesting link of a SEAL reunion showing their watches. No if's, they were issued the 5512 and 5513's. Also some Tudor Subs, but not for decades. I spoke with former Vietnam Era SEAL Durwood White, a few years back and his son now has his issued Sub. He passed a couple years ago. RIP -Ron http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16490
Old 4 November 2012, 11:14 PM   #13
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo710 View Post
Here's an interesting link of a SEAL reunion showing their watches. No if's, they were issued the 5512 and 5513's. Also some Tudor Subs, but not for decades. I spoke with former Vietnam Era SEAL Durwood White, a few years back and his son now has his issued Sub. He passed a couple years ago. RIP -Ron http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16490
very interesting Ron, thanks
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 11:23 PM   #14
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The French Navy (among many others) opted for the Tudor Submariner,instead of the Rolex Sub.The French Navy demanded rigorous testing and tested several brands These watches were tested to carefully calibrated abusive tests in an attempt to destroy them to see how much abuse it could take before losing accuracy or malfunctioning .After testing,they choose the Tudor and the only thing the French navy didn't order was the Oyster bracelet.They chose a nylon strap because it would be much more easy to change,and easily replaced if broken.Additionally the same Tudor model was used by the US Navy for its UDT and Navy Seals.And I believe the US Army Ranger Battalion (2/75 RGR) there SCUBA teams were issued with the Rolex Tudor Dive watches and worked well in some very tough conditions.And today Tudor military Subs are very sort after like any military watch, especially the early ones with stick hands.And now have quite a high market value,for genuine military watches and now very collectible and I expect far more collectible than any G-shock.
I thought Maloubier selected Blancpain for the French navy in the 1950s?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 11:31 PM   #15
AH0RSEY
"TRF" Member

Watch: OUT !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

Now that made me actually laugh

Btw G10 and now Brietling are more common uksf issue.....so my grandmother tells me
Old 4 November 2012, 11:36 PM   #16
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 12:23 AM   #17
rohardi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 216570
Quote:
This is spot on. Years ago, before the development of G-shocks, Pathfinders, Suunto Core military, SEALs were being issued Rolex. In modern times, they would want a Rugged digital watch as it is more durable, have more features and would be lighter. In MY experiences, this is what I have observed.
rohardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 12:24 AM   #18
joe100

Watch: Explorer
They don't need or want a special edition. It's a testimate to Rolex that the SEALs buy them off the shelf unmodified. Hell of a fighting force! Glad to see they wear my favorite brand!
Old 5 November 2012, 01:40 AM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Nothing but respect to all military.

I do however imagine that there is nothing a sub can't get through that a dssd can.

Of course, the dssd can go quite a bit deeper, but since just about no human is going to those depths anyway, I don't really consider that.

In terms of toughness, I have to believe either can handle anything, and more, than we can.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 01:57 AM   #20
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
I always assumed a DSSD could take much more abuse (bumps/bangs) than a Sub C due to the thicker crystal and more metal, ect... ?
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 02:00 AM   #21
jay1988
"TRF" Member

Surely military would want a quartz/digital watch ?

Even if Rolex only loses a few seconds a day. Those few seconds could be too much by military standards right ?

Just my 2 cents. Never been in the military.
jay1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 02:01 AM   #22
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Well Mark,

Practically anything that is going to damage a Sub or DSSD is likely going to damage your arm quite badly! Haha
Old 5 November 2012, 02:06 AM   #23
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Kudos to the Master Chief and his watch preference. These guys run the Navy. I always loved dealing with my MC's on my boat vs. dealing with the LT's.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 02:06 AM   #24
jay1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Well Mark,

Practically anything that is going to damage a Sub or DSSD is likely going to damage your arm quite badly! Haha
It's not just when it's on your arm though is it ? Take the dreaded "dropping your watch face down on to a tile floor" situation. Surely the DSSD crystal would be less likely to crack as it's thicker ?
jay1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 02:22 AM   #25
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Here's an interesting link of a SEAL reunion showing their watches. No if's, they were issued the 5512 and 5513's. Also some Tudor Subs, but not for decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohardi View Post
This is spot on. Years ago, before the development of G-shocks, Pathfinders, Suunto Core military, SEALs were being issued Rolex.
For clarity, not "every" SEAL was issued a Rolex/Tudor (most were not). It was COMPLETELY dependent upon the unit's ability to have supply procure them. Command must sign off on these high dollar purchases, which can be very difficult in times of peace.....much easier in times of war.

The military can request to purchase special items that aid in the execution of their mission. For instance, the US Marines wanted a high end folding knife, so they ordered Mick Strider's MARSOC SMF knife. It's NOT a low cost knife to produce, but they justified the cost with the mission requirements.

It should be noted that "issued" items were also to be returned to unit supply after ETS/leaving the service, and any items that weren't returned - the value of those items are deducted from your pay. This again is subject to your supply staff....if you have a 'resourceful' supply guy, 'magical' things can happen....your Rolex could be marked as unserviceable and you walk away smiling.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 02:31 AM   #26
ronbo710
Banned

Yep By the time I went in the U.S. military in '82 it was the end of an era of issued steel case military watches. And these weren't divers but little 17 jewel Hamiltons that didn't even hack lol. And the supply Sgts were so tight they only got issued to staff NCO's and above (E-6). Alas -Ron
Old 5 November 2012, 02:38 AM   #27
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
That is a good link. My hat is always off to those who serve.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 02:44 AM   #28
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Yep By the time I went in the U.S. military in '82 it was the end of an era of issued steel case military watches. And these weren't divers but little 17 jewel Hamiltons that didn't even hack lol. And the supply Sgts were so tight they only got issued to staff NCO's and above (E-6). Alas -Ron
LOL- I would have been happy with a Hamilton! It was the same here....supply was SO CHEAP that we trained with Vietnam era A1's when I enlisted in 97, and I'm not joking.

FWIW: The Marathon brand is what I'm seeing issued currently. Gshock's if your in a high speed unit.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 03:21 AM   #29
soundserious
"TRF" Member

well the certainly don't wear boutique limited edition JLC's lol
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 03:42 AM   #30
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viknijjar View Post