The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2012, 03:49 AM   #31
HongNinja
Banned

Watch: 228238, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticajoe View Post
Kudos to the Master Chief and his watch preference. These guys run the Navy. I always loved dealing with my MC's on my boat vs. dealing with the LT's.
Of course!! A MC is a hardcore higher ranking enlisted guy. I'd take them over a snot nosed LT any day, unless of course that LT was a "Mustang". However, this doesn't always apply with SF because those officers are LEGIT. I have a very good friend of mine on SEAL Team 4 who is an LT. One of the brightest people I have ever met.

Ooohrah!
HongNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 03:59 AM   #32
HongNinja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by viknijjar View Post
well the certainly don't wear boutique limited edition JLC's lol
Good point!

Ballsy putting an edition out there that isn't in the field. I wonder how tough those JLC divers really are compared to a Sub/SD.
Old 5 November 2012, 04:20 AM   #33
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
During Vietnam a select few SF guys were issued GMTs. They haven't issued Rolexes to SEALs a long time. Last I knew 2010 time frame, they were issuing G-Shocks.
What they're issued is base on budget which is pretty huge but not Rolex huge. If this issued item breaks or is damaged they can direct exchange it in the supply room, veeery expensive to have Rolexes just sitting around waiting in a supply locker and at that price it would surely be listed a sensitive item. In contrast, conventional military don't get issued anything in reference to watches.

On that note having been military myself, what a person decides to wear to work doesn't certify the product, regardless if they're a Tier 1 DOD asset or not. That's called product endorsing. James Bond wears a PO, didn't buy because of that, I knew enough about the watch itself to influence my purchase. I like the Speed Master but not because astronauts wore them in space, sorry that's just me.

To my knowledge Ranger Battalions were never "issued" Tudors, not in the last 25 years at least. "Issued" in the military means that the unit's XO-executive officer signed off and allocated funds from the units fiscal budget specifically for that item. The item needs to have a serial number listed in the military purchasing system sometimes called an NSN. SEALS and other Special Ops units have a Purchasing Officer who researches and vets equipment for use within the unit particularly if it doesn't have an NSN , often based on feed back from unit members, i.e. - I have an Arc'teryx jacket that would serve as an excellent wet weather shell, which I have used on numerous adventures and has held up to true field use while camping and climbing. He can buy one outright or call the company and request samples which they usually send. Most companies have military sales reps and depts specifically for this. The term issued is a very strong term with a specific meaning in the military. There's more to it but that the gist, works like a civilian company really.
Very informative! Thanks!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 05:56 AM   #34
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by HongNinja View Post
Good point!

Ballsy putting an edition out there that isn't in the field. I wonder how tough those JLC divers really are compared to a Sub/SD.
VERY TOUGH... They were built around the Seal's standards, wear and tear !! JLC makes some of the most rugged watches that will and be beat on anything and continue working... They are just also very pretty, thus why people feel like they can't use them as a tool watch (mentally) :)

Check out the extreme lab JLC's, the extreme world chrono I have is also ruggedly tested on the wrists of adventurists/world climbers in any and every climate and terrain, any shock field and impact, etc...
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 06:23 AM   #35
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
One word.....Mil-Sub!!
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 09:22 AM   #36
HongNinja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
VERY TOUGH... They were built around the Seal's standards, wear and tear !! JLC makes some of the most rugged watches that will and be beat on anything and continue working... They are just also very pretty, thus why people feel like they can't use them as a tool watch (mentally) :)

Check out the extreme lab JLC's, the extreme world chrono I have is also ruggedly tested on the wrists of adventurists/world climbers in any and every climate and terrain, any shock field and impact, etc...
Good call! I figures it would be damn near impossible to put a SEAL Trident on a "soft" watch, but I never hear about those beig touted as a "tool" watch. JLC are pretty awesome watches, and definitely wouldn't mind owning one of the SEAL divers.
Old 5 November 2012, 09:58 AM   #37
HongNinja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
One word.....Mil-Sub!!
What about the "MilSub"?
Old 5 November 2012, 11:16 AM   #38
Syed117
"TRF" Member

My cousin is a staff sergeant (army) and he has always worn a Casio pathfinder. Refuses to wear anything else.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 11:38 AM   #39
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
Quote:
During Vietnam a select few SF guys were issued GMTs. They haven't issued Rolexes to SEALs a long time. Last I knew 2010 time frame, they were issuing G-Shocks.
What they're issued is base on budget which is pretty huge but not Rolex huge. If this issued item breaks or is damaged they can direct exchange it in the supply room, veeery expensive to have Rolexes just sitting around waiting in a supply locker and at that price it would surely be listed a sensitive item. In contrast, conventional military don't get issued anything in reference to watches.

On that note having been military myself, what a person decides to wear to work doesn't certify the product, regardless if they're a Tier 1 DOD asset or not. That's called product endorsing. James Bond wears a PO, didn't buy because of that, I knew enough about the watch itself to influence my purchase. I like the Speed Master but not because astronauts wore them in space, sorry that's just me.

To my knowledge Ranger Battalions were never "issued" Tudors, not in the last 25 years at least. "Issued" in the military means that the unit's XO-executive officer signed off and allocated funds from the units fiscal budget specifically for that item. The item needs to have a serial number listed in the military purchasing system sometimes called an NSN. SEALS and other Special Ops units have a Purchasing Officer who researches and vets equipment for use within the unit particularly if it doesn't have an NSN , often based on feed back from unit members, i.e. - I have an Arc'teryx jacket that would serve as an excellent wet weather shell, which I have used on numerous adventures and has held up to true field use while camping and climbing. He can buy one outright or call the company and request samples which they usually send. Most companies have military sales reps and depts specifically for this. The term issued is a very strong term with a specific meaning in the military. There's more to it but that the gist, works like a civilian company really.
thanks for the headsup..appreciated
Old 5 November 2012, 01:44 PM   #40
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I am not a SEAL but among those I know I have never seen or heard of them wearing a Rolex as part of their kit. In fact it's a running joke during my time in Virginia Beach that you can usually spot SEALs by their demeanor and the fact that they all wear the same crappy G Shock (or something similar) watch even off duty. I am sure like any other community there are those that get a Rolex on their own dime no different than anyone else. In fact, I very rarely see a Rolex on anyone in the military. Lower-end Breitlings I see all the time.

Again I am not in the special forces community what-so-ever but I have an extremely hard time believing that an 8-10K watch is being issued. My paraloft issued me a pretty sweet bomber jacket, they aren't about to order me a Navitimer or GMT.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 01:56 PM   #41
HongNinja
Banned

These days, definitely not being "issued". As many have talked about in previous post(most wear G-Shock, Suunto, etc now). However, this wasn't always the case in earlier days. This particular MC I was chatting with is a instructor now, and he planned on wearing it on duty during training exercises/etc, but highly doubt there are many being taken into conflict. However, it's 100% known Rolex/Tudor were issued in the past, hence the "MilSub".

I disagree with you that SEALs don't own/wear them off duty, because I know MANY that do. There was a link posted earlier demonstrating this in a get together/reunion.

That would be sweet if you got away with being issued a Navitimer or a GMT. Yeager wore a GMT!

PS: Thanks for your service and what you do day-in and day-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I am not a SEAL but among those I know I have never seen or heard of them wearing a Rolex as part of their kit. In fact it's a running joke during my time in Virginia Beach that you can usually spot SEALs by their demeanor and the fact that they all wear the same crappy G Shock (or something similar) watch even off duty. I am sure like any other community there are those that get a Rolex on their own dime no different than anyone else. In fact, I very rarely see a Rolex on anyone in the military. Lower-end Breitlings I see all the time.

Again I am not in the special forces community what-so-ever but I have an extremely hard time believing that an 8-10K watch is being issued. My paraloft issued me a pretty sweet bomber jacket, they aren't about to order me a Navitimer or GMT.
Old 5 November 2012, 02:51 PM   #42
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Yeah I mean I think like any other community I am sure there are watch enthusiasts who go out and get them. Hell, I wish more active duty wore cool watches; I like talking watches with my patients.

I suppose I was just negating the idea that DSSD's or Subs are like super common among SEALs or that they are handed out at BUD/S.
Old 5 November 2012, 02:58 PM   #43
HongNinja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Yeah I mean I think like any other community I am sure there are watch enthusiasts who go out and get them. Hell, I wish more active duty wore cool watches; I like talking watches with my patients.

I suppose I was just negating the idea that DSSD's or Subs are like super common among SEALs or that they are handed out at BUD/S.
Oh, no, no, no, definitely wasn't saying that. I was simply telling a story about a recent conversation I had with a SF guy, and how it shows the quality and durability. In this case he was actually going to wear it while on training missions/exercises full-on, but not carry into a real combat situation. Not practical these days, but at one point in time Subs were legitimately issued(back in the day).

I don't think anyone is arguing they're issued currently for such activities, although I do know guys who wear them off duty regardless.
Old 5 November 2012, 04:11 PM   #44
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I thought they used the Casio or Citizen.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 04:15 PM   #45
HongNinja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I thought they used the Casio or Citizen.
You should read some of the other responses and original thread post........
Old 6 November 2012, 01:51 AM   #46
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:

I disagree with you that SEALs don't own/wear them off duty, because I know MANY that do.

Brandon, how many? Whats your prior service/where was your AO?

When in Böblingen, Germany (Special Forces Eucom)....with the VAST majority of people on post being Special forces from the US (Recon, SEAL, Delta, etc) and from Europe (Germany, Italy, etc).....the only person I spotted wearing a higher end watch was a Brig General, and it was an Omega Seamaster.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 02:00 AM   #47
HongNinja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post

When in Böblingen, Germany (Special Forces Eucom)....with the VAST majority of people on post being Special forces from the US (Recon, SEAL, Delta, etc) and from Europe (Germany, Italy, etc).....the only person I spotted wearing a higher end watch was a Brig General, and it was an Omega Seamaster.
I think this link alone kinda shows some operators in that community wearing such timepieces.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16490

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match about who has more service where, in fact you'll most likely beat me out there if that's what you were going for. I served in the US Marine Corp initially as an M1A1 crewman, then jumped MOS to weekend warriors in the reserves. The statement I made was my observation of some SEALs I know(one being a very good friend active duty right now). I also have a good buddy who is Force Recon who also owns a Rolex.

Your observations over a longer service record may be correct in your eyes, but I'm just telling you what I've seen.
Old 6 November 2012, 04:19 AM   #48
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Good call! I figures it would be damn near impossible to put a SEAL Trident on a "soft" watch, but I never hear about those beig touted as a "tool" watch. JLC are pretty awesome watches, and definitely wouldn't mind owning one of the SEAL divers.
Yea man, I mean one has to just take a look at it's materials used, movement functions, etc to see it's a no joke watch... Grade 5 titanium, ceramic elements, patented shock absorption system for the movement, ceramic ball bearings inside the movement (lubrication free) requiring as they say no maintenance!
Let's not forget, the quality and craftsmanship surrounding these rugged piece's are impeccable too, form and function :) They also claim that their water resistance is rated with their patented valve locks left OPEN... I love JLC!

Check this out
http://www.hautehorlogerie.org/en/ne...reme-world-29/

http://www.fashionkindom.com/jaeger-...ally-2011.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhV06MCTqd8
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 04:28 AM   #49
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352140068.231117.jpg

Conventional army! Not issued. Bought from my own money

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 04:29 AM   #50
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Nah, no pissing match here Just curious if I'm out of the loop, or I just wasn't paying enough attention. Being prior service, I'm sure your meter gets pegged whenever someone states they 'know a whole bunch of SEAL's'. I've actually met/been introduced to about 8 in my lifetime.....3 of which were actually legit.

Drive on
Old 6 November 2012, 04:46 AM   #51
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

His service doesn't matter, and more so, personal. This thread was just an observation that his SEAL buddy wears a Rolex and that this relationship may validate the quality of a Sub. I don't agree but so what, cool thread.
Generally speaking guys in JSOC don't wear watches like Rolex, etc off duty for a number of reasons.
A unit like Dev Group(SEAL TM 6) Or CAG(Delta)...won't deploy into a covert operation with any equipment that is traceable and sometimes personal. All gear is sterile, generic and issued. Besides, a G-Shock is ten times more functional than any Rolex. Try and synchronize 15 guys with auto mechanical analog watches to within the second and see how that works. I don't know of any mechanical watch that has a count down timer, extremely crucial and necessary. Compass, barometer, the list goes on. Rolexes are awesome but not the best pice of kit for multidimensional military operations.

To be honest, as a soldier once a upon a time not too long ago...it isn't a common sight to see active duty soldiers of any branch with expensive items like a Rolex. Do you know what a soldier makes. Our military is severely under paid for the service they provide, and now with most guys deploying multiple times over this last decade watching their buddies not return and leaving wives and children behind.....a monumental concern was trying to take care of our families, leaving the wives and kiddos in the best possible circumstance in the event you didn't make it back.
What good is a Rolex to your wife and kids if you're not their. We tried our best to make our wives comfortable, happy and prepared to be as secure and worry free as possible in the event we didn't return. You did not want to be on some mountain in Afghan during downtime reading about problems at home then going on an op that night.
In fact a few Special Operations units have prohibited laptops, phones, etc on deployments for opsec and troubling news from home. So the best course of action was leave shit straight back home.

I know a bunch of "special people" wearing high dollar watches right now, but none are active, nor would they ever wear their Rolex on an op when active, if they owned one. All it does is tell time, we need more usability. Guys in JSOC run around with $5k radios $7k night vision goggles, sat phones etc....all classified "sensitive items". Loose it, break it? The world seems to come to an end, an $8k Rolex will definitely be classified "sensitive", it's a hi dollar item. I don't want that crap just to be cool, give me that $100 G-Shock any day.
In fact, we sit around talking about our watch of choice in the zombiepocalypse, nearly every single guy chooses a solar powered Casio of some sort. Rolexes are so nice, and I love mine to death, but not very useful for tromping around the world being a soldier.
In fact who the hell thought it was a good idea to put a black background on a dive watch, visibility is a joke. Doxa has it right, imho.

Off my soap box.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 05:20 AM   #52
HongNinja
Banned

Quote:
Nah, no pissing match here Just curious if I'm out of the loop, or I just wasn't paying enough attention. Being prior service, I'm sure your meter gets pegged whenever someone states they 'know a whole bunch of SEAL's'. I've actually met/been introduced to about 8 in my lifetime.....3 of which were actually legit.

Drive on
I hear what you're saying. Never meant to make it sounds like "a bunch". A bunch to me, is like you said, a handful. Not like there is a ton of these elite 1%'ers running around. The fact I've met a few that own them is "a lot" to me.

I've never once tried to suggest that modern day spec ops guys wear these on missions, I know how they roll sterile, but more so impressed that the Master Chief buddy of mine was planning on wearing this SD while on training dives/etc in Coronado, CA, etc. I was also reflecting on the fact that at one point in time they actually were issued before the days of quartz watches(i.e MilSubs).

Old 6 November 2012, 05:44 AM   #53
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

In my limited experience I have seen the most "higher end" watches on the aviation community. Again maybe that is only because I serve in the aviation community. I think it has less to do with the pay and more to do with the types of people in the military.

I am active duty and I openly admit I am kinda materialistic in the sense that I like to own nice, quality things. I don't value them over the people in my life or my career. Most of the people I know in the military are materialistic regarding things other than watches which is why I think I do not see many active duty with a Rolex. Most guys I know in the Navy care more about owning a Ford F-150 or Mustang. They would rather spend money on a bunch of guns. Trust me, active duty have a pretty good amount of disposable income. In my opinion it is more about what they choose to spend it on.

My stance on the whole issue is that Brandon may very well have a few Navy SEAL friends who are really into watches; I was just making the counter point that it's not as if all SEALs are walking around in Subs/DSSD off duty. I don't think either is an exageration. Most military guys I know though tend to care more about cars and guns and that is where a lot of their money goes.

I admittedly get a lot of bonus pay for being a doctor but I am hardly rich and own three pretty nice watches.
Old 6 November 2012, 06:04 AM   #54
93 Turbo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex.Tudor.PAM
Casio G-Shocks, Protecs & Suunto's if your lucky is the only watch you'll be issued with these days.

Not quite the watches of old. But remember the old saying, "Every SF operator should have a Randall, Rolex, Harley & a divorce"
93 Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 06:04 AM   #55
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Active duty soldiers have a pretty good amount of disposable income....I lol'ed at that. Sorry, but disagree. Maybe aviators and of course you're a Doc, pretty clear. Single twenty something officers probably may be in that disposable income group but not if paying off school debt. My PA was getting $45K bonuses for staying in. SGT Blahblah with 3 kids does not walk around having three Rolexes.
Normal enlisted guys which make up the core of boots on the ground don't have disposable income, maybe around tax return or reenlistment bonus time.
That's been my experience.
Old 6 November 2012, 07:56 AM   #56
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Most of the active duty (ENLISTED) didn't have much income...let alone disposable. Officer level (including Warrant) on the other hand...different story altogether. It was one of the reasons I decided on OCS after many years of enlistment. The rate of pay is between enlisted/officer is tragic...there were first year O1's making more than SSG's

The observation of soldiers caring about f150's and mustangs - now THAT is funny!- because I've always thought those two vehicles are by FAR the most popular on post - LOL.

Rashid: Gshocks being the choice for toughness = agree, nothing beats a GW5000-1jf for simplicity and bombproof. For the record, wasn't questioning Brandons service (as you incorrectly called me out for), simply asking where he may have been located as it may have a basis for his opinion.
Old 6 November 2012, 10:01 AM   #57
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
i agree that the sd is tough as nails. but why not get a 100 dollar g shock? i mean you can beat the @#$% out of it never worry.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 10:34 AM   #58
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Most of the active duty (ENLISTED) didn't have much income...let alone disposable. Officer level (including Warrant) on the other hand...different story altogether. It was one of the reasons I decided on OCS after many years of enlistment. The rate of pay is between enlisted/officer is tragic...there were first year O1's making more than SSG's

The observation of soldiers caring about f150's and mustangs - now THAT is funny!- because I've always thought those two vehicles are by FAR the most popular on post - LOL.

Rashid: Gshocks being the choice for toughness = agree, nothing beats a GW5000-1jf for simplicity and bombproof. For the record, wasn't questioning Brandons service (as you incorrectly called me out for), simply asking where he may have been located as it may have a basis for his opinion.

You're right, my bad. Too much testosterone sometimes.
I agree with you though. Big trucks rule the parking lots, lol...so true.
I will also agree that mil guys spend a lot on trucks/cars(not ferraris and porsches) and bang sticks. But that is hardly disposable $, lots of asking the wives for permission to buy a $300 exhaust or tool box for the truck, etc. and the things that go bang are cheap compared to Rolexes. One sub=at least four of those, except for the odd high end variety which is still about two, and not common.
Take care.... "Sir".
Old 6 November 2012, 12:37 PM   #59
handsfull
"TRF" Member

One thing I remember when I made the first trip into the PX (around 98') was the excitement of picking up a discounted Rolex .....then after doing the research in the AAFES catalog, I find I can get better prices from local dealers

Quote:
You're right, my bad. Too much testosterone sometimes.
LOL - I understand, we're alike in that aspect
Old 6 November 2012, 03:45 PM   #60
HongNinja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2 View Post
Attachment 327190

Conventional army! Not issued. Bought from my own money
Boom! Active duty Army rocking a ND.