The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 December 2016, 12:49 AM   #1
David*
"TRF" Member

New to Forum - would like suggestions on 1950's 1030

Hi - I just joined the forum and would like to ask for some help. I inherited my Dad's gold oyster perpetual Caliber 1030 circa 1958. He wore it perpetually for about 50 years. He misplaced it as dementia set in and we thought it was lost, but I found it when cleaning out his place. It was in sad shape. Keeping it 100% untouched is probably not an option.

I had it cleaned and the crystal replaced and it is keeping time. The shop offered to replace the hands with "old new stock" which I let them, but don't like the look. I did get the original hands back. The spotting on the dial didn't change much with the cleaning. The warned me about that so I didn't have high expectations, but wanted to see before moving forward with more drastic work.

So, I am considering having the dial and original hands refinished. What do you think? Is getting a replacement dial even an option? I called the Rolex service center in New York and they said the watch was too old for them to work on.

Who is the best at this? I called Kirk Rich and discovered they only work within the trade. I would have to find someone to interface with them. I called "The Watch Buyers Group" and they said they outsource to just one person they trust who went unnamed.

I have attached a photo of the untouched watch and one with the new crystal that shows the problems a little better.

I appreciate suggestions or comments...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uncleaned RLX.jpg (102.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg cleaned RLX.jpg (78.3 KB, 44 views)
David* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2016, 01:02 AM   #2
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Live with it for 6 months and see how you feel. Patina can take a little getting used to. Remember, that's your dad's watch, it timed the hours of his life, that's the dial he looked at. Once gone it's just another old Rolex.

Gorgeous watch.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote