The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you do it..?.
Trade 23 48.94%
Do not trade 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 July 2018, 05:44 AM   #31
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Good luck finding a Daytona 6263 with perfect, fully intact lume plots at every hour marker. I'm sure they exist, but it's much more common to see a little loss on a couple of the dots, especially at 3 and 9, where the watchmaker's tool for removing the hands can cause damage. It's minor, in my book, as long as it's not too much. Has very little to do with the beauty of the watch, although we vintage lovers all have our own likes/dislikes, so I get it.
I still haven’t owned one with damaged lume. It is common indeed but that is why you would want to find one which is perfect. Paying perpetual patek money should give you clean and perfect sub dials and intact lume imho. They are out there.
Old 13 July 2018, 09:00 AM   #32
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
I still haven’t owned one with damaged lume. It is common indeed but that is why you would want to find one which is perfect. Paying perpetual patek money should give you clean and perfect sub dials and intact lume imho. They are out there.
I don’t think that there is any point comparing the price to other watches. The Daytona has become a special case and obviously the price is ridiculous. It would be ridiculous at $50k for what it objectively is and remember it’s not long ago when that was about the going price.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 06:55 PM   #33
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Exactly and I have owned a dozen or so over the years and also not one without 100% perfect lume.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:24 PM   #34
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Of course OP if you want a absolutely cool 60’s chronograph get yourself the real deal for half the price, a first or second execution Heuer Autavia. That is is the king of 60’s chronographs.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 10:44 PM   #35
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Of course OP if you want a absolutely cool 60’s chronograph get yourself the real deal for half the price, a first or second execution Heuer Autavia. That is is the king of 60’s chronographs.

Although I like Daytonas, I agree with this. The early Autavias (actually all Autavias) are every bit as collectible as a Daytona without the truly over ridiculous prices... although they aren’t cheap either!

Follow my watches on Instagram @vintagearmadillo
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 02:38 AM   #36
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Hmmmm .... many vintage watch lovers would consider the "King" of '60s chronos to be the Speedy Pro, but old Heuers are cool too. I've owned a couple.

Yes, of course, the prices of "Big Red" Daytonas are ridiculous, and so are the prices of pretty much every vintage Rolex.

A Maxi Sub at $20K? A red 1680 at $25K (and more)? Gilt Subs at $40K. Even 5-digit Pepsi GMTs above $10K? Insane.

Not sure how it's any different with 6263s, other than they've increased more than other models and to higher levels. But when the vintage craze started, they were already at a higher price point than other references, so it's all relative.

Logic doesn't always factor into the world of collecting anything, not just vintage watches. It's about supply, demand, hype, the "cool" factor, brand recognition, etc ....

Let's not just pick on vintage Daytonas. The whole thing is crazy.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 05:13 AM   #37
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT
BigReds 6263 - no matter if black or silver - they are maybe the most beautiful watches ever made by rolex. I love them even more than the PN's.

Go for it.... :-))
rolstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 06:14 AM   #38
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
I’m biased because I have a 6263 .... but I’d start with the math. Excellent condition 6263 Big Reds are going in the $90K range and up nowadays. What’s the estimated value of your watches you might trade? Assuming it’s in the ballpark of the same value, I’d then think long and hard about whether I’d be happy with a streamlined collection of watches, with one amazing vintage centerpiece.

And then ... yes, I’d do it! Keep in mind that the modern watches you’d be trading are getable at any time, assuming funds would be available. Nice Big Reds are very tough to get, and it’ll only get harder.

Any photos of the 6263 in question?
X2. I'd trade if the Daytona was something I wanted to add to the collection. Be prepared for a market correction though - it is inevitable someday. Those high dollar watches are the first to depreciate.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 06:24 AM   #39
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Hmmmm .... many vintage watch lovers would consider the "King" of '60s chronos to be the Speedy Pro, but old Heuers are cool too. I've owned a couple.

Yes, of course, the prices of "Big Red" Daytonas are ridiculous, and so are the prices of pretty much every vintage Rolex.

A Maxi Sub at $20K? A red 1680 at $25K (and more)? Gilt Subs at $40K. Even 5-digit Pepsi GMTs above $10K? Insane.

Not sure how it's any different with 6263s, other than they've increased more than other models and to higher levels. But when the vintage craze started, they were already at a higher price point than other references, so it's all relative.

Logic doesn't always factor into the world of collecting anything, not just vintage watches. It's about supply, demand, hype, the "cool" factor, brand recognition, etc ....

Let's not just pick on vintage Daytonas. The whole thing is crazy.
Not sure how it's any different with 6263s,.............

With me, there is a huge difference, called pricing, between $90,000 and $20,000 or $30,000.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 07:10 AM   #40
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Not sure how it's any different with 6263s,.............

With me, there is a huge difference, called pricing, between $90,000 and $20,000 or $30,000.
Ha! Well, yes, the totals are very different. My point was that everything is going up, and everything vintage Rolex is nutty nowadays. The stakes are just a lot higher with 6263s.

I miss the days of the mid-late-'90s when $1500 got you a beautiful vintage sports Rolex. It's not just about the money. Seems like some of the fun is gone because of the craziness of it all. Maybe it's just me.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 07:16 AM   #41
Phrank
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Ha! Well, yes, the totals are very different. My point was that everything is going up, and everything vintage Rolex is nutty nowadays. The stakes are just a lot higher with 6263s.

I miss the days of the mid-late-'90s when $1500 got you a beautiful vintage sports Rolex. It's not just about the money. Seems like some of the fun is gone because of the craziness of it all. Maybe it's just me.
Same happened with antique and vintage straight razors - there was a time you could buy spectacular Wade & Butcher premier "For Barbers Use" razors, choppers as they're called, big etched blades, you could literally pick them off on ebay anywhere from $40 to $75 dollars...now, a good example will run you north of $1,000 USD, if you can even find one now...same insanity, so it's not just you.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote