The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 December 2018, 04:35 AM   #301
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I think he distances himself from the name on this thread while selling here.
Wonder why?
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:41 AM   #302
mrblue
"TRF" Member

So what? Bob's is a legitimate business. If you don't like the prices or what they offer you then don't do business with them. To suggest that a business named Bob's owned by a guy not named Bob is some how deceptive is ridiculous.
mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:43 AM   #303
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Nobody was suggesting that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
So what? Bob's is a legitimate business. If you don't like the prices or what they offer you then don't do business with them. To suggest that a business named Bob's owned by a guy not named Bob is some how deceptive is ridiculous.
Old 15 December 2018, 04:47 AM   #304
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How about reading ALL the posts before commenting
Old 15 December 2018, 04:50 AM   #305
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Nobody suggested that.

The thread has some detours you’ll see upon reviewing the post that started this branch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:09 AM   #306
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Why do people pull that crap? What a loser
It seems people love the opportunity to roast someone for no real apparent reason.

But, if people like you want me to draw it in crayon, I can always re-write my original statement to make it a bit easier to follow...

Yes, I know his name is not Bob. But Paul 'is' indeed Bob as far as I am concerned considering he is the face of business.

I like how people take my comment as a shill one for the business despite the fact that I clearly and explicitly state that I have never bought from him and, in fact, my statement was simply describing the man himself, not his business or practices.

People need to exercise restraint before taking a simple comment and blowing it way out of proportion.
ReturningSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:19 AM   #307
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningSon View Post
People need to exercise restraint before taking a simple comment and blowing it way out of proportion.
What a novel idea!
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:55 AM   #308
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningSon View Post
I know his name is not Bob. But Paul 'is' indeed Bob
I thought Paul was Paul. But you are saying he is not. Paul is Bob. I am confused.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 08:07 AM   #309
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDe View Post
I thought Paul was Paul. But you are saying he is not. Paul is Bob. I am confused.
+1
Old 15 December 2018, 08:30 AM   #310
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Who's on first.....I don't know.....third base.
Old 15 December 2018, 08:54 AM   #311
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDe View Post
Me too,The Man Has One Name and it’s Paul....WTF He named His Business Bob’s Watches is beyond me.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 09:00 AM   #312
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Me too,The Man Has One Name and it’s Paul....WTF He named His Business Bob’s Watches is beyond me.
IIRC, Paul bought Bob’s and kept the name.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 09:30 AM   #313
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
IIRC, Paul bought Bob’s and kept the name.
Ahhh,Thanks for the insight.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 09:39 PM   #314
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
I think we need to see a birth certificate ....
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:50 AM   #315
Star Ferry
Banned

I've heard mixed reviews of Bob's. But the fact that the owner's name is Paul is irrelevant. This is like buying a Big Mac and complaining that it wasn't sold by Ronald McDonald.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:12 AM   #316
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I’ve bought several watches from bobs. They’re a great seller, offer a warranty that they stand by, and trustworthy, but do a huge volume pretty much at full retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 01:59 AM   #317
schaumburgla
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub
Personally I have purchased 3 nice vintage Rolex from Bob's from 2013-2015.
The prices were very reasonable at that time & no issues with the watches which were a 5513, a 5512 & a 1016. All were very nice correct watches. I paid by wire each time & all were shipped same day funds cleared for overnight delivery.
I believe the pricing structure especially on vintage Rolex has changed drastically from what I have observed so I really no longer check in on the site. But if I did find something I would not hesitate too purchase again. I do not personally know anyone there & do not recall who I specifically dealt with.

Attached is a Pic of the 6 Mill. series 1016 I purchased from them.

Justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_zps5e7cf62b.jpg (153.7 KB, 422 views)
schaumburgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 05:21 AM   #318
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaumburgla View Post
Personally I have purchased 3 nice vintage Rolex from Bob's from 2013-2015.
The prices were very reasonable at that time & no issues with the watches which were a 5513, a 5512 & a 1016. All were very nice correct watches. I paid by wire each time & all were shipped same day funds cleared for overnight delivery.
I believe the pricing structure especially on vintage Rolex has changed drastically from what I have observed so I really no longer check in on the site. But if I did find something I would not hesitate too purchase again. I do not personally know anyone there & do not recall who I specifically dealt with.

Attached is a Pic of the 6 Mill. series 1016 I purchased from them.

Justin
That's a real beauty!
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 09:35 AM   #319
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post
I think we need to see a birth certificate ....
Just so long as he wasn't born in Hawaii and the birth certificate isn't redacted.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 09:50 AM   #320
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
Just so long as he wasn't born in Hawaii and the birth certificate isn't redacted.
Uh oh...
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 03:38 PM   #321
Metal
"TRF" Member

I still have the watch 'Bob' lowballed me on (pictured earlier in this thread #172) I've put it on eBay a few times and so far the highest offer I've had was $3300, a full $1300 over 'Bobs' offer, still a bit low IMHO but, it is what it is.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 02:13 AM   #322
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal View Post
I still have the watch 'Bob' lowballed me on (pictured earlier in this thread #172) I've put it on eBay a few times and so far the highest offer I've had was $3300, a full $1300 over 'Bobs' offer, still a bit low IMHO but, it is what it is.
If you sell things at market value, you obviously have to buy below, which a lot of people don't seem to understand.

Say he pays you exactly what you're asking for, he obviously then marks it up. Now the narrative becomes "Bob's is a ripoff."
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 02:36 AM   #323
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
If you sell things at market value, you obviously have to buy below, which a lot of people don't seem to understand.

Say he pays you exactly what you're asking for, he obviously then marks it up. Now the narrative becomes "Bob's is a ripoff."

That was absolutely not the initial intention of this thread.

The buy at wholesale and sell at retail is basic business sense. And I think everyone here understands that. The original intent of the thread was that you send multiple high res photos of the watch and all of the included links and accessories to a place that buys watches for a living. Including telling them when the watch was last serviced.

They make you an offer based on that.

You send them exactly what you have described and they have seen.

They lower their offer by 30%+ once they receive it saying it has damage it does not have and needs a service that they should have taken into account in their offer when “we have to service every piece to resell”.

Then they keep your watch for 2 weeks and go dark when you ask to send it back.

Was it out of the ordinary for them to do this???? Maybe. But from the responses it doesn’t sound like it.

Capitalism and business are one thing. Being dishonest and bait and switch is another.

Buy all you want from them. The watches are genuine and you know what you are getting. But selling to them is not high in my list of things to ever do again.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 02:59 AM   #324
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
That was absolutely not the initial intention of this thread.

The buy at wholesale and sell at retail is basic business sense. And I think everyone here understands that. The original intent of the thread was that you send multiple high res photos of the watch and all of the included links and accessories to a place that buys watches for a living. Including telling them when the watch was last serviced.
I know it wasn't your intention, I just feel like people forget when you are selling a watch the buyer needs to profit as well, however big or small that margin may be. Didn't mean for it to come off as a comment toward you or anyone specific really. I do understand your original frustration 2.5 years ago.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 03:07 AM   #325
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
I know it wasn't your intention, I just feel like people forget when you are selling a watch the buyer needs to profit as well, however big or small that margin may be. Didn't mean for it to come off as a comment toward you or anyone specific really. I do understand your original frustration 2.5 years ago.

This thread just lost its way a while back.

I agree fully that the only way business works is in margin and profit and a some here forget that.

Most of our friends are small business owners. I stood earlier this week in one of their stores (retail kids clothes, gifts etc) where someone was looking at items. Scanning them on their phone inside of the amazon app. And adding them to their cart. After her kid tried them on and threw them on the floor. People are incredible. He goes out of his way to only try and carry brands you cannot find online and that done sell direct. Because now your suppliers will whore you out by going direct with big discounts.

Not going to get into the AD/not AD debate but it is somewhat similar.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 04:55 AM   #326
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
This thread just lost its way a while back.

I agree fully that the only way business works is in margin and profit and a some here forget that.

Most of our friends are small business owners. I stood earlier this week in one of their stores (retail kids clothes, gifts etc) where someone was looking at items. Scanning them on their phone inside of the amazon app. And adding them to their cart. After her kid tried them on and threw them on the floor. People are incredible. He goes out of his way to only try and carry brands you cannot find online and that done sell direct. Because now your suppliers will whore you out by going direct with big discounts.

Not going to get into the AD/not AD debate but it is somewhat similar.

I think you nailed it.
Old 23 December 2018, 05:37 AM   #327
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Its the bait and switch aspect that concerns me with Bob's (Pauls) business model. How many would have sent their watches in if they were quoted the realistic offer? Its disingenuous to be dinged on the offer with the excuse that the watch needs work to get it to retail resale condition? The offer should reflect a certain amount of tarting up and high rez pics will tell an educated eye how much is needed.
Would like to know how many sellers actually got an offer, say within 5% of the quote, when the watch was sent in.
Old 23 December 2018, 05:46 AM   #328
Star Ferry
Banned

I have heard many stories of the Bob's bait-and-switch. Would Takuya knock down an offer by 30% for small cosmetic issues that were visible in the original photos? No, he wouldn't. And if he had a real issue, he'd return the watch promptly.

They may not be breaking the law, but they don't deserve a stellar reputation either.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 07:43 AM   #329
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Its the bait and switch aspect that concerns me with Bob's (Pauls) business model. How many would have sent their watches in if they were quoted the realistic offer? Its disingenuous to be dinged on the offer with the excuse that the watch needs work to get it to retail resale condition? The offer should reflect a certain amount of tarting up and high rez pics will tell an educated eye how much is needed.
Would like to know how many sellers actually got an offer, say within 5% of the quote, when the watch was sent in.
It's the "itch to sell" that drives the offering price down. Bob (excuse me, Paul), like all pawn shop owners, knows that motivated sellers are interested in a quick transaction that puts cash in their pockets. But I get your point. Perhaps changing the name to "Bob's Rolex Pawn Shop" would solve the problem.
Old 23 December 2018, 08:39 AM   #330
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcrocodile View Post
It's the "itch to sell" that drives the offering price down. Bob (excuse me, Paul), like all pawn shop owners, knows that motivated sellers are interested in a quick transaction that puts cash in their pockets. But I get your point. Perhaps changing the name to "Bob's Rolex Pawn Shop" would solve the problem.
It's not a pawn shop. He's not loaning money at exorbitant interest rates with your watch as collateral.

They are betting that once you've shipped them your watch that you'll take their low ball offer.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote