The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2018, 05:11 AM   #91
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Savage Savage … civilised and useful you mean...
I said that at the airport but they didn't buy it
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:12 AM   #92
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Seems that criticizing subsequent generations isn't new. Attributed to Socrates by Plato about the younger generation.
Such true words. But, within those words also shows the root of the problem. The parents that don't raise them properly.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:19 AM   #93
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I said that at the airport but they didn't buy it
I can't believe that you told me that you were a member of the Dutch mountain rescue team and I actually believed it...
Old 12 December 2018, 05:29 AM   #94
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I can't believe that you told me that you were a member of the Dutch mountain rescue team and I actually believed it...
There were 0 accidents in our mountains this year!
Old 12 December 2018, 05:32 AM   #95
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There were 0 accidents in our mountains this year!
Well done. A record that you must be very proud of
Old 12 December 2018, 05:39 AM   #96
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Well done. A record that you must be very proud of
I'm very good at my job
Old 12 December 2018, 05:55 AM   #97
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm very good at my job
Now that I have done my duty I will not have to talk to a young person for a whole year....
Old 12 December 2018, 05:57 AM   #98
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
i know some millennials who are doing pretty well. Progressing in their disciplines, buying homes and planning to start a family. Also love classic and modern cars including on and offroad race cars.
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:58 AM   #99
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Now that I have done my duty I will not have to talk to a young person for a whole year....
It's almost 2019
Old 12 December 2018, 06:02 AM   #100
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
I'd happy to buy a Mustang but all I can afford - Rolex(
Old 12 December 2018, 06:04 AM   #101
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I think the problem is they have been raised in a generation where everything is disposable. The appreciation for material things isn't there anymore, generally speaking.
Old 12 December 2018, 06:51 AM   #102
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatcher View Post
i know some millennials who are doing pretty well. Progressing in their disciplines, buying homes and planning to start a family. Also love classic and modern cars including on and offroad race cars.
I would imagine one's definition of "doing well" is relatively subjective. I have no plans to buy a home or start a family, and yet think I'm doing pretty damn well
Old 12 December 2018, 07:20 AM   #103
Star Ferry
Banned

salaries objectively have lagged cost of living increases. So young adults today may be starting families or buying homes either later or not at all.

Most millenials I know work pretty hard, but I think seeing young people as lazy is just human nature
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 05:37 AM   #104
encarter13
"TRF" Member

32 years old here...Does that make me a millennial? I do not fall into any of the generalizations here, but I am a mixture of several.

Regarding cars - I love cars! I mean really LOVE cars. However, I do not really have any interest in a Mustang, Camero, etc. I prefer Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc.

I love trucks, but I am very much a F150 guy. Jeeps are great too, but only Wranglers and Grand Cherokees.

Regarding money and homes - I diligently save for retirement and invest well. I have never rented a house or apartment. I have made a few good real estate purchases.

Regarding experiences - I refuse to ride in basic economy. I always fly Delta Comfort or First Class. I enjoy vacations, but I do not go nearly as often as my friends.

Other thoughts:

I could not wait to get my drivers license. The younger people that are not into driving blow my mind.

I think I could live in a tiny home, if my wife would go for it.

I would rather have 15 watches and a fleet of nice cars than a big house. Give me a huge garage with an apartment over the top and I would be a happy man. Even happier, if the garage was a hangar and my airplane was parked in there.

Avocado Toast is stupid

I spend too much on expensive wine, craft beer, and fancy cocktails.
Old 14 December 2018, 12:58 AM   #105
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's almost 2019
I know, I am already starting to worry...
Old 14 December 2018, 01:15 AM   #106
hyzhenry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadog View Post
This is an important point, and not just for car clubs. If you consider massive college debt (even with a job good enough to make the payments), the cost of housing and the inability for many young people in the "desirable" areas (ie, unaffordable for most people, regardless of age) to ever own, this generation may never dig out of the hole they have collectively put themselves in.
And, many young people I know just don't care about cars at all. My son grew up with a Porsche of some sort in the garage from the time he was 5. He didn't even feel the urge to learn to drive a manual so he could drive them. He's had two A6 Audis and his dream is sitting in the back seat playing video games or doing work on the way to his (good) job.
I don't get tats either. At all.
I do agree with most of your points. But it is also a lot easier to start your own business as well. I think there'll be a bigger wealth gap.
hyzhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:30 AM   #107
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I can rant forever about millennials vs boomers (ie their parents). But at the end of the day, with millennials it generally isnt about lazy or entitled (though it’s always funny to hear the boomers who told these kids their voices should always be heard complain because the systems they’ve established have pretty much screwed an entire generation). Instead most millennials can’t find a job that earns over 45-50k a year degree or not. They cannot afford a 250k house. A mid level Camry runs 32k now. Etc etc. As a whole, they place more value on family time, freedom to explore their passions, dont much care for their parents status symbols, etc... it’s no different than boomers vs the greatest generation (ie millennials grand parents) who lived through world wars, pinched pennies, and scoffed at $50 steaks at Morton’s.....
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:44 AM   #108
Thug
"TRF" Member

i wish I was able to get a house for 250k in nyc.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:50 AM   #109
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I think the biggest hurdle faced by any young person coming out of college and looking for a job is trying to deal with six figure student loan debt. Leaving college with no assets and owing $250,000 is a difficult way to start a career or job.

I recall thinking I could never afford to quit medical school once my student loan debt hit $8,000.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:55 AM   #110
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Don't forget: Millenials love MVMT and Daniel Wellington watches. Because they are advertised on snapchat and Instagram. If Rolex and other traditional watch companies want to reach this demographic they need to advertise on social media.

Re cars: we just bought a CLK 300 (Mercedes sports couple with retractable roof). We paid cash and the millenial sales person could not believe it. Oh, in california all new cars sold after 2030 must be electric or hybrid. Yikes.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 09:01 AM   #111
Goin2drt
Banned

Just different priorities like many posts already. Certainly not all are the same either. Plenty of millennials like cars, ever heard of YouTube. Most car youtubers are millennials. Many could care less. They may not have a lot of money but $6 coffee, expensive bourbon and restaraunts and night life they seem to have plenty to spend on that.

I have been a car freak my entire life, my kids (1 millennial and 1 gen z) could care less. If I didn’t demand they wash their car, they wouldn’t.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:57 AM   #112
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Every generation complains about the ones that came after. I know my parents and grandparents did.

Overall I think the millennials will do fine.

BTW, as a young guy I would never have joined a car club. Would have been too busy keeping my VW bus running and going places in it.

My youthful motto was. Have bed will travel. Spent all my spare time in the bar or at the beach or in the desert.

My 30 year old son works two jobs and has no debt. The only cars he is interested in are Tesla's, Ferrari's and Audi's. The only watch he likes is my old Omega Speedmaster. Wish he would save some of his money though.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 10:31 AM   #113
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I think the biggest hurdle faced by any young person coming out of college and looking for a job is trying to deal with six figure student loan debt. Leaving college with no assets and owing $250,000 is a difficult way to start a career or job.

I recall thinking I could never afford to quit medical school once my student loan debt hit $8,000.
I use to work as a roughneck on off-shore rigs to pay for school....my father got me the job being drilling supervisor for GOM helped....but i still had go through hell out there in the summer to get money for college...and never borrowed a dime....but school was 7.xx an hour back in the late 70's.
I would never go today at the price today its robbery.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 05:05 PM   #114
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I thought most Millennials spent their money on eating out 6 nights a week, the latest iPhones/Androids/game consoles, numerous subscriptions to streaming movie/TV/Music entertainment channels, full-sleeve/neck/leg tats, Instagram-worthy holidays abroad showing how worldly they are, deconstructed coffee, and designer weed.

With all the above financial burdens and oppressive constraints on leisure time it's no wonder our poor kids struggle and can't afford things like modest home mortgage or student loan payments, let alone a car. In times past, I'm sure everyone remembers how upon graduation employers came beating down the door offering high-paying jobs in one's choice of career, "budgeting" wasn't something to be concerned about let alone lived so naturally immediately ran out to acquire all the life essentials such as the latest/coolest sh!t anyone had to offer, and promptly rewarded themselves by purchasing airline tickets for a Bali or Roman holiday spent eating and drinking and posing atop cliffs or photographing one's own toes in the sand with an ocean and palm tree in the background. Cars and insurance were super-easy to afford and of course one needed at least a couple to fill the garage of the 4 or 5 bedroom starter homes everyone practically waltzed into owning.

I know when I travel the world and observe how most other people work/eat/live from cradle to grave it pains me to think how tough the plight of American youth is. I mean, in the last 30 years there's been 1 housing crash 10 years ago...OMG!

This is exactly all we spend any of our money on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albusdabbledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 06:41 PM   #115
timedate
-

They doubled the jobs and halved the money to cater for ladies wishing to work
then everything doubled in price and became price linked to two people working
everybody got conned and played the game, instead of rejecting the game

my dad was a humble postman back in the 60s, my mum did part time secretarial work,

our first house was a 2 bed detached bungalow in the london suburbs, they were in their 20s and we also went on a modest holiday once a year,

my father in law was a furniture upholsterer in the 60s, his first house was a 3 bed semi, he ran a car, he had 3 children in his 20s, his wife looked after them, he did all this on a skilled manual workers wage.

Lenders used to grant a mortgage on the principal salary only, at 3 and a half times that salary, this was enough to get you a small starter home.

Today if that method was still observed, you would be lucky to get a clapped out motorhome.

This was all based on average salaries, the people that were the majority.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote