The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 December 2018, 08:49 AM   #1
old_man
"TRF" Member

Icon2 HELP! Bought a used Grand Seiko but received with a bit of problem...

Hey guys, I ran into a bit of a problem and need your advice on what to do. I bought a GS from a somewhat reputable seller online. But it wasn’t really as described.

The piece has been used. I asked the seller if there are any dings and scratches on the piece, and he assured me that there are no dents. The watch is out of production, but only for a couple years. So I thought that would make sense.

However, when I received the watch I noticed that there are polishing marks on both sides of the watch, and despite that, there are 2+ dings (loss of metal) on both sides, one of which is on the edge. One can only imagine how bad it was prior to polishing.

Not only that, I think the most important thing is that the polishing effort completely ruined GS’s Zaratsu polished mirror effect (I’ve got multiple GS and the difference is huge).

Also, there are marks on the hands. This indicates that the watch has been opened but the seller said he doesn’t think it has been serviced.

The dents are not crazy serious, but they are there in contrary to seller’s description. But obviously this is after polishing effort.

I’ve never encountered a situation like this. What does one typically do at this point? I didn’t expect it to be new, and accepted scratches but definitely not “dents after polishing”.

Please excuse me to not mention the watch or the seller at this moment. It’s a small community and I don’t want to do that unless I have to.

Would really appreciate any advice, thank you!
old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Contact the seller, tell him you aren't happy and say it wasn't as described (especially since you mentioned the polishing of the case), ask for a refund, send back the watch and use the money to buy a better example or something else.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:56 AM   #3
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
If you're unhappy with the watch you should return it. I deem that to be fair
Old 14 December 2018, 08:57 AM   #4
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
If you’re not happy with the purchase I would bring up all your points to the seller. A reputable seller will give you options to make things right.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:00 AM   #5
PJ S
Banned

As above, but bear in mind that Seiko can replace the case, if necessary, but Zaratsu polishing is only carried out back in Japan, and it’s circa $600 for case & bracelet.
Negotiating a partial refund may be an option for both of you, but check with Seiko CS first regarding the case.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:21 AM   #6
marshp
"TRF" Member

Icon8

I think you contact the seller and lay complains...
marshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:07 AM   #7
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I would simply ask for a refund and move on. Get what you really want.

I bought a poor example Explorer and held onto it for years, never really happy with it. Thankfully, I bought well. So, I was able to get out of it and break even.

Simply put, if you’re not happy with it now, you never will be.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Contact the seller and effect a return. That’s what I would do.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:31 AM   #9
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Contact the seller, list out the issues then ask for a return and refund. Your about to find out how reputable the seller really is.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:00 PM   #10
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
As above, but bear in mind that Seiko can replace the case, if necessary, but Zaratsu polishing is only carried out back in Japan, and it’s circa $600 for case & bracelet.
Negotiating a partial refund may be an option for both of you, but check with Seiko CS first regarding the case.

Really only in Japan? Don’t quote me but I think an AD told me a few years ago that they opened a service center in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:46 PM   #11
old_man
"TRF" Member

Woah, thanks everyone for the sounding advice, and for reading through the long post. Looks like the general consensus is to return and refund. I'm talking to the seller and gave him pictures of the issue. He admitted that there has been polishing work. Let's see what comes of this. I will keep everyone updated.
Old 14 December 2018, 12:48 PM   #12
old_man
"TRF" Member

Zaratsu Polishing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
Really only in Japan? Don’t quote me but I think an AD told me a few years ago that they opened a service center in the US.

Yes. The zaratsu polishing can only be done in japan, and apparently only three people are qualified to do it, which is why polishing work charges helluva lot.

If you send it to the SC in US, you will get a normal polishing that ruins the look of the watch. In that case it's just better to live with the dents and scratches.
Old 14 December 2018, 12:58 PM   #13
old_man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. The seller has offered a partial refund as well, and it's just about covering half of the money for polishing of the case and maybe hands replacement. i'm gonna call Seiko Japan to see what they can do.
Old 14 December 2018, 01:59 PM   #14
Roleyalldayonme
"TRF" Member

I’d lay the smackdown on the dealer if no remedial is taken effect. Call him and tell him -look here boy, I am not a happy camper.....what can we do to make me happy. Only exempt everything mention if you guys met up and went through the watch condition together. Because the deal is sealed the moment you said everything a-ok and than later say its not.

Roleyalldayonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:35 PM   #15
old_man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I just wanted to give an update to the situation. The seller admitted that there was polishing involved and said that he didn't check the item properly as it came from a "trusted" seller to him. Nevertheless I think he recognized the problem, and offered a couple of alternatives, one of which I accepted for a partial refund. Just so happens that the refunded amount is right about half of sending it to Seiko Japan and getting the Zaratsu Polished, and maybe even the hands replaced (based on pure research, and still waiting to hear back from Seiko Japan).

The reason I didn't do a full return is because 1) the seller had a great reputation and was in the game to take care of it, but for a return he asked that I pay for return shipping and wire cost, and 2) it's a modern piece, so I don't mind getting it refinished at GS with the same quality of parts, just more hassle and time, and cost, and 3) a partial refund seemed like the most headache-free way to end this entire transaction.

The watch in question was an SBGR095, 62GS reissue, which is kinda hard to come across, and I did get it at a decent price, which is also another reason why I went with the partial refund.

Now just having my fingers crossed that GS japan can revive the watch like new!
Old 14 December 2018, 04:40 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I would just return the watch.
Old 14 December 2018, 04:52 PM   #17
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The Zaratsu finish makes this watch.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:55 PM   #18
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

You bought it from a some what reputable seller who bought from a trusted seller ? I wonder if your seller bought it right after you paid for it and just shippied it out barely looking at.

Then on receiving it you noticed the dings and bad polish. But your seller confessed up it was polished like it shouldn’t have been after you notified him of dings and a bad polish. Offers you approximately half of a new polish cost all the way in Japan, and it might need new hands too ? So it could’ve been opened up as well. This could be a 6 + week turn around plus you have to ship and insure to Japan ?

If you wanted not to take his 300-400 offer on this you had to pay the insured shipping back to him plus his wire refund fee ? I think I’m missing something..there’s no way I’d pay for shipping back a watch that was misrepresented and his wire fee to boot. Sorry, I would’ve fired shots off all over this seller. He could keep his huge refund. Sellers like this need to be outed. IMO this is a mess, hopefully nothing else is wrong with it.

But I guess if your happy that’s good. The seller must be very happy cause he really didn’t take care of anything. I hope after it’s all fixed up you’re very happy with it.
Good luck
Old 14 December 2018, 06:20 PM   #19
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old expat beast View Post
i would just return the watch.
+1

a very simple problem with a simple solution....return it for a full refund.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 06:23 PM   #20
old_man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
You bought it from a some what reputable seller who bought from a trusted seller ? I wonder if your seller bought it right after you paid for it and just shippied it out barely looking at.

Then on receiving it you noticed the dings and bad polish. But your seller confessed up it was polished like it shouldn’t have been after you notified him of dings and a bad polish. Offers you approximately half of a new polish cost all the way in Japan, and it might need new hands too ? So it could’ve been opened up as well. This could be a 6 + week turn around plus you have to ship and insure to Japan ?

If you wanted not to take his 300-400 offer on this you had to pay the insured shipping back to him plus his wire refund fee ? I think I’m missing something..there’s no way I’d pay for shipping back a watch that was misrepresented and his wire fee to boot. Sorry, I would’ve fired shots off all over this seller. He could keep his huge refund. Sellers like this need to be outed. IMO this is a mess, hopefully nothing else is wrong with it.

But I guess if your happy that’s good. The seller must be very happy cause he really didn’t take care of anything. I hope after it’s all fixed up you’re very happy with it.

Good luck

Thx buddy. When u put it together like that it did sound absurd. I think if i really went tough on it id be able to make him eat the wire fee and return shipping, but then I’m back to sesrch for another one of this rare piece.

It was a reputable seller himself who sld it to me, but he got it from someone else. The way i see it, i wasnt buying a new watch anyway, and got it at a good price, and if GS can fix it to look like new, i dont mind paying for half of the cost for that. It all himges on what GS quotes me on cost & time, but from what i read and members here tell me, should be about half the cost.

Send from my iPad using Tapatalk.
Old 14 December 2018, 06:31 PM   #21
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
Servicing the movements, but the Zaratsu technique is only conducted in Japan.
There was a thread a good while back on Watchuseek where a GS was sent to both, and whilst the US job was acceptable, the difference was clear to see after it’d returned from Japan.
There’s only a handful of people who’ve honed the technique/skill over there. Whether, in the fullness of time, it is something added to the US, UK, EU service centres is uncertain. The financial investment in training and machinery may not stack up versus just sending them back to Japan.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 06:31 PM   #22
timedate
-

its always face to face with me,

i would never spend that money on a few pictures and someones word, then expect the post service to successfully deliver the deal,

way too many variables, and all unnecessary.

it may be a modern way, but you can keep it.

private sale in the uk means 'caveat emptor' buyer beware.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 09:08 PM   #23
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Only face to face for me too.

I would want a full refund. Too much fuss and bother to deal with that watch. I would also let the forum members know who the seller was. I can't understand why not.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 09:14 PM   #24
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post

I would want a full refund. Too much fuss and bother to deal with that watch. I would also let the forum members know who the seller was. I can't understand why not.
I agree with this.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 09:25 PM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post

I too think sellers should be named.

I’ve seen instances where sellers somewhat expect buyers to simply accept what they are selling, even though it might have been misrepresented.

I’m fine with buying based on descriptions and pictures, but I think everyone must be held accountable. Though I do personally prefer to buy new and avoid the possibility we find here.

Clearly that was not possible with this discontinued watch.

OP, for certain this is not worth the hassle. Return for a full refund, IMO.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 09:47 PM   #26
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would return the watch and get a full refund and shipping. This seller has a reputation that you say is good so put him to the test. You will find another watch that will be right. If he does not cover the return and shipping I would provide his name to the TRF.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:10 PM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Easy guys I don’t want the watch back it’s too polished for me!

Just kidding

You are a very amicable buyer I’ll say that! Do whatever feels right to you. Me I’d be shipping it back even if that means paying shipping and wire which is nothing. We are talking 50-100 bucks here.
Old 14 December 2018, 10:14 PM   #28
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I would return the watch and get something else from another seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Easy guys I don’t want the watch back it’s too polished for me!

Just kidding .
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:53 PM   #29
RichM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
If it was misrepresented and it certainly sounds that way, I’d send it back for a full refund. Too much work involved and the seller only offering half the cost. Unacceptable.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 01:45 AM   #30
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post

Good luck
I was thinking the exact same thing. But I guess OP REALLY wants this watch. Do whatever makes you happy, but I doubt many reading this think the "somewhat reputable seller" is making things right.