The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 February 2016, 11:50 AM   #1
Jacob1
"TRF" Member

Vintage Tudor - Help

Hello, Rolex Forums. I'm a young watch enthusiast (14 years old) and love Rolexes. I do research watches just about everyday, and I always somehow find myself back to wanting a Rolex. My dream Rolex is a black dial with date Submariner, or a Rolex GMT Pepsi bezel.

Obviously, I sadly can't afford any of those! Yes, I know, quite sad. So, I was trying to find something that relates back to Rolex, and of course there's Tudor. I was looking online at vintage Tudors.

Example of one I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tudor-by-ROL...oAAOSw37tV~xXl

I was wondering if there's anybody here who has any experience with vintage Tudor? Would these watches be reliable for years to come?

And, finally, if anyone know of anybody who could get me a good deal on a Tudor or Rolex? I can spend up to $1000. I know it's not much, but I'm trying to find one.

Thank you!
- Jacob Schwartz
Jacob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'm only on my iPhone but it looks in pretty good shape. A bit pricey without the steel bracelet perhaps, and 32mm is getting down towards a ladies size.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 12:08 PM   #3
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Dial looks refinished so IMO it is already over priced. That seller is well known for selling redialed watches or fake dials.

If you are 14, my son is 15, the boys side will not good sized for long. I would recommend the standard 34mm as a good starting point.

You can do better at that price range with some patience ;)
Old 14 February 2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Dial looks refinished so IMO it is already over priced. That seller is well known for selling redialed watches or fake dials.

If you are 14, my son is 15, the boys side will not good sized for long. I would recommend the standard 34mm as a good starting point.

Is it just me or do the minute and second hands look too long also? Like they came off a 34mm or something?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 12:14 PM   #5
Jacob1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post

Yeah, watch isa bit small. That one isn't the one I plan to buy, just wanted to give people an idea of what I was looking for.
Old 14 February 2016, 12:32 PM   #6
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Is it just me or do the minute and second hands look too long also? Like they came off a 34mm or something?
I think they are standard issue aftermarket from China Tudor Ranger hands - yes wrong length for a 30-32mm anyway. Like the dial, they look brand spankin' new
Old 14 February 2016, 02:55 PM   #7
joe100

Watch: Explorer
An all-round mess. Not worth $300 let alone $800 or whatever
Old 14 February 2016, 03:49 PM   #8
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Hey Jacob-

Why not take up a part time job and save for what you really want? It's all part of the fun ;-)

I remember being 14 not too long ago and at that time I was into cars - I would work and save... and each time during the night before I was to purchase a car I had worked hard for, it would be so difficult to fall asleep! I would look at the clock every 15 minutes wondering when the following morning would arrive. Don't shortchange yourself by settling! The buildup to that final moment is an amazing journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 February 2016, 03:50 PM   #9
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Wait... That was when I was 15 lol. I got my license at 15. But 15 and 14 aren't too far apart.

Old 15 February 2016, 03:45 AM   #10
Menyce
"TRF" Member

Watch: Victorinox
Good for you, not too many 14 year olds into timepieces or serious ones for that matter. I bet you will have quite the collection one day. Good Luck
Menyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Jacob1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Hey Jacob-

Why not take up a part time job and save for what you really want? It's all part of the fun ;-)

I remember being 14 not too long ago and at that time I was into cars - I would work and save... and each time during the night before I was to purchase a car I had worked hard for, it would be so difficult to fall asleep! I would look at the clock every 15 minutes wondering when the following morning would arrive. Don't shortchange yourself by settling! The buildup to that final moment is an amazing journey.

I also love cars, and am already saving up for one right now. I plan to buy a used BMW 3 series. My parents said they would pitch in. I'm not old enough for s job, but I do pet sitting over the summer and make around $2000 (I save half of what I make, going into my first car). Yeah, two thousand lol. I have a sophomore friend that works and makes less than I do. Anyways, it's not the money I'm too worried about. I would save up and get it, but it's my parents :/ They think I'm too young for a Tag Heuer or Rolex (I'll find a way to get one, I always do), but I'm trying out all my options. Thank you for the advice though, I do hope that soon I'll be able to see one in my collection!
Old 16 February 2016, 11:50 AM   #12
Jacob1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menyce View Post
Good for you, not too many 14 year olds into timepieces or serious ones for that matter. I bet you will have quite the collection one day. Good Luck
Thank you, sir. I do love watches, and cars, and expensive clothes. Sadly, it's a little too much for me to pay for, but one day! I hope that soon I can have a small collection, and later on get a good one.
Old 16 February 2016, 11:58 AM   #13
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Hey man. Search for Tudor 72000s on eBay. They sell for less than $500 and are fine rolexes. They are a pretty good size. The 74000 model is a bit bigger. Harry
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 12:16 PM   #14
Jacob1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Hey man. Search for Tudor 72000s on eBay. They sell for less than $500 and are fine rolexes. They are a pretty good size. The 74000 model is a bit bigger. Harry
Thanks, Harry. They look pretty good! I'll look into them.
Old 16 February 2016, 12:42 PM   #15
Michael M.
Banned

The Tudor on eBay is a 'franken watch', comprised of various Tudor and non-Tudor parts. Definitely something you don't want to purchase.

PM me and I can offer up some advice.

Michael
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 02:20 PM   #16
studioal
"TRF" Member

Jacob, you could always go after a smaller Tudor sub like a 75090 or 75190. Usually can be had in the $2-2.5K range, and at 36mm would likely be a perfect size for your wrist.
studioal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 10:56 AM   #17
Jacob1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioal View Post
Jacob, you could always go after a smaller Tudor sub like a 75090 or 75190. Usually can be had in the $2-2.5K range, and at 36mm would likely be a perfect size for your wrist.
Thanks, studioal. They look exactly the same as a vintage black dial submariner (if they're vintage and the bigger size). I'll have to do a lot of saving lol.