The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 January 2019, 11:26 PM   #1
notaclctr
"TRF" Member

Watch: smurf
DRSD transitional caseback question

Guys, have been offered a DRSD mkIV 1665 with serial 5.2 mill.The watch comes from the original buyer, old guy, says he bought it in the 70s but he has no papers with it.
Problem is that when it was opened at the local watchmaker to check the inside of the caseback for serial (I asked for this) it doesn´t have the serial engraved.

The caseback outside is a regular transitional rounded text like found on the drsd.com, not straight Rolex text.

I´m confused since the DRSD.com says DRSD casebacks must have the serial engraved to be certain it´s not a great white w/ swapped dial. http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/doubl...casebacks.html

However then I came across comments that oppose this;

HQMilton https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...65-mark-4-2992

Philip Stahl https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...er-t14671.html

Marcello Pisani "these 1665 with DR dial but " white style " back usually have no case number engraved in the back inside" https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=386763

I guess with vintage Rolex anything is possible. He´s offering it for 35k USD equivalent to EUR. Should I stay away from the deal because of the missing serial in the caseback if everything else checks out?
notaclctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Bazza.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots of them
I just got hold of a 73 DRSD a few moths ago from a watch dealer in the UK its a Mk3 dial it Came with box and service paper work from 94 6 pages of the stuff

But at the service it had a new case and back fitted as the originals ones were damaged but Did come with the paper work to back it up from Rolex so it went from a 3mil case to a 4mil case That I didn't mind just a shame it a standard case great white back but the price was ok

I sent it straight of to RSC and now have a new Rolex service card and 2 year warranty

After Service

Bazza. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 06:41 AM   #3
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
I have a MK4 DRSD the serial number is 525xxxx , It was sold in Germany in 1977 it has the curved Rolexcase back with a full serial number , It is exactly as it was supplied as I bought it from the first owner with box and papers etc .

I hope this helps
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 10:53 AM   #4
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
I don't think collectors would automatically think it's a GW with a DRSD dial if it had a transitional caseback w/o serial...given that you pulled up some references w/o...and if replaced at service would be more likely than a dial swap...the serial range is certainly in DRSD territory.

I would be more concerned about dial and case condition. Casebacks get replaced.

One last thing...on the HQ Milton ad...he does not specifically state original in the ad, so to me it's not an argument for a non serial case back...couldve been replaced at service.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote