The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 November 2016, 09:33 PM   #1
spirit909
"TRF" Member

urban jurgensen

I saw some of their watches at salonqp. really liked it especially the 1140i - the details on the dial (and numerals) was awesome.. anyone got one or have any thoughts?
spirit909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2016, 11:46 PM   #2
KarlS
Banned

I am a big fan and was glad to see them at SalonQP as they don't have any AD's outside of Switzerland. However they told me they have lined up a UK distributed. I worry about resale and Soren gave interesting mitigate that very few watches are seen on the preponderance market and the 4 on Chrono24 are old. Making 1 watch a day I asked about future production volumes and they are feared to 1000 with a new production facility being completed. I obviously teased both Kari and them on who was first!!! Lots of books coming out to show they were first. Old age story about servicing etc and the fact that they are really venture capitalists but if you own a FPJ then some applies. I do like their attention to detail around numerals and the dial and love their watch boxes. True attention to detail. However at the PC price point becomes difficult not to go PP just for the certainty of value and longevity that brand provides. It will be a contender for my PC next year
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2016, 11:47 PM   #3
KarlS
Banned

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=501010
Old 7 November 2016, 12:53 AM   #4
Israguard
"TRF" Member

This is why I love this forum. Now I discovered another beautiful brand.. had to google it and look up the 1140i.... boy oh boy I want one now.

Love it
Israguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 07:58 AM   #5
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Israguard View Post
This is why I love this forum. Now I discovered another beautiful brand.. had to google it and look up the 1140i.... boy oh boy I want one now.

Love it
Em is that not a 5196p with different hands and seconds track

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Old 7 November 2016, 08:22 AM   #6
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Also saw them at Salon QP. Great watches but, yes they will no doubt drop more in value than ALS so hard not to buy a PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
However at the PC price point becomes difficult not to go PP just for the certainty of value and longevity that brand provides. It will be a contender for my PC next year

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 08:32 AM   #7
Yamazaki
Banned

So what is their relation to Kari? The case and hands look very similar to Kari's.
Yamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 09:01 AM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
So what is their relation to Kari? The case and hands look very similar to Kari's.
As far as I know he has some part of the brand, and not only the case and hands look like his watches, Rolex and Tudor...he does production and finish of the movement it seems...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 01:09 PM   #9
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
As far as I know he has some part of the brand, and not only the case and hands look like his watches, Rolex and Tudor...he does production and finish of the movement it seems...
U never truly got to the bottom of thus having asked both of them the question. Kari did do dials and some movements for UJ just as he has done for other brands...the hands are pretty generic breguet but maybe it's the ska Dina Ian style.
Old 7 November 2016, 04:31 PM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
U never truly got to the bottom of thus having asked both of them the question. Kari did do dials and some movements for UJ just as he has done for other brands...the hands are pretty generic breguet but maybe it's the ska Dina Ian style.
For me it's the same result like between Rolex and Tudor, the Voutilainen are the top notch and the UJ are very nice, but look too much like them, just not made to the same specifications, though UJ are also making great quality, but if you compare it's not the same level.
Old 7 November 2016, 04:33 PM   #11
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post

yes it looks like the love child of a Vingt-8 Voutilainen and a 5196
Old 10 February 2019, 12:14 PM   #12
SROB
"TRF" Member

How do these pieces compare to other high-end independents?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 07:31 PM   #13
PJ S
Banned

Which others, and compare in what way specifically?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 11:53 PM   #14
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Holy 2-year thread bump batman!
Old 11 February 2019, 06:19 AM   #15
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

Way undervalued brand
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 06:28 AM   #16
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Urban and Kari are too similar and I find it somewhat off putting... maybe I just don’t understand the brands well enough?
Old 11 February 2019, 08:29 AM   #17
base924
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am a big fan and was glad to see them at SalonQP as they don't have any AD's outside of Switzerland. However they told me they have lined up a UK distributed. I worry about resale and Soren gave interesting mitigate that very few watches are seen on the preponderance market and the 4 on Chrono24 are old. Making 1 watch a day I asked about future production volumes and they are feared to 1000 with a new production facility being completed. I obviously teased both Kari and them on who was first!!! Lots of books coming out to show they were first. Old age story about servicing etc and the fact that they are really venture capitalists but if you own a FPJ then some applies. I do like their attention to detail around numerals and the dial and love their watch boxes. True attention to detail. However at the PC price point becomes difficult not to go PP just for the certainty of value and longevity that brand provides. It will be a contender for my PC next year
Hi Karl. They have a flagship store in Copenhagen where it all started in the late 17th century. It's such a pleasure to drop by now and then to see the pieces. If find the P8 movement very attractive. I think European Watch Company in Boston has a 1140 platinum blue dial for sale at quite a bargain price!

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk
base924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 11:38 AM   #18
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That particular UJ is gorgeous and I much prefer it to the 5196P. Also, the quality of the UJ is better.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 03:45 PM   #19
Viper0419
"TRF" Member

This looks similar.

Viper0419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:47 AM   #20
ialienam
"TRF" Member

I didn’t really know this brand until last month, one of a serious watch collectors introduced it to me..

Done a bit research, wow great history! Very similar to Breguet in my first glance, but then understand why once studied the history of it.

I was looking to get a FPJ CB or CS as my first independent watch, but I feel everyone is going after CB these days, don’t get me wrong, it’s an awesome watch, I would LOVE to own one, but I feel it’s a bit like Rolex SS which I may wish to stay away from the hype for now

I love UJ’s Arabic numbers and teardrop lugs! It’s so beautiful, but I want to have the P8 movement, and it seems not possible to be on one of those dials I want.

I want to have guilloche dial with Arabic numeral appliqués with P8 movement. Because I have seen brands like Lang & Heyne allows individual customisation, and it’s one of the benefits with independent brands. But can UJ do such thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 07:02 AM   #21
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

^^^^ yes, UJ can make your requests a reality. They're great watches and one of my favourites, the lugs, the dials, the hands, the movements and also a less teutonic feel than some others. The total package Contact Martin Pulli if you have any questions, he'll be able to steer you in the right direction. Disclaimer...I have no affiliation with Martin Pulli fine jewelry, but I am a watch geek and love nearly everything he has in stock.
GreenRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:11 AM   #22
christianj
Banned

Manfredi in Greenwich had the blue dialed one in stock pre-owned for a while but it is now showing as sold. Lovely watch but it wore a bit small for me plus I decided to go with another blue dialed independent instead.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 06:44 AM   #23
DamageInc.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: UJ Alfred 40
Quote:

The Urban Jürgensen looks much nicer. I'd call it an upgrade.
Old 14 April 2019, 12:53 PM   #24
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRust View Post
^^^^ yes, UJ can make your requests a reality. They're great watches and one of my favourites, the lugs, the dials, the hands, the movements and also a less teutonic feel than some others. The total package Contact Martin Pulli if you have any questions, he'll be able to steer you in the right direction. Disclaimer...I have no affiliation with Martin Pulli fine jewelry, but I am a watch geek and love nearly everything he has in stock.
Any further insight into the custom piece request process?

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote