The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 01:26 PM   #31
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol123 View Post
This shortage is really ruining rolex’s service satisfaction for me.
Rolex WIS community is tiny and inconsequential so I doubt if Rolex cares you're happy or not. Vast majority of the watches sold are DJ/TT/PM not SS Sport. Unlike Omega where they made watches for WIS such as the Tuesday Speedy. But since we're into Rolex, it's part of the pain you have to endure
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:46 PM   #32
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I'd rather have a date with Scarlett Johansson.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:35 PM   #33
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
I am definitely not a VIP it so annoying on eBay somebody got one from Goldsmiths this year and is now selling it they should give it to people who wear it. Unfortunately my budget doesn’t go up to what the grey market is asking. Yes maybe I should go for another model.
The thing is no one walks in to an AD and declares themselves a “flipper”. Perhaps the person selling has good buying history. Certainly if Goldsmiths finds out he will be blacklisted.

As per other comments maybe some lower hanging fruit like an Explorer, Steel Black GMT, Yacht Master?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:42 PM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

even two years ago in the UK you would have had great difficulty sourcing that watch. Today its pretty much impossible. If its discontinued or not, which it isn't (yet) doesn't matter. You still probably won't be able to get it from an AD in the UK
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 03:32 AM   #35
rolexforum73
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol123 View Post
This shortage is really ruining rolex’s service satisfaction for me.
Really? It does the opposite for me. I like the chase and I like to own stuff that is hard earned and hard to get, the fact it takes effort makes it 10 times more appealing.
rolexforum73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 03:39 AM   #36
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
I am definitely not a VIP it so annoying on eBay somebody got one from Goldsmiths this year and is now selling it they should give it to people who wear it. Unfortunately my budget doesn’t go up to what the grey market is asking. Yes maybe I should go for another model.
I know the feeling, I saw a HULK flipped on ebay and it also mentioned the AD by name.
When I went in to see AD, with my tail wagging - thinking Oh, so they CAN GET THEM! - they did not want to add me to the list!

....needless to say I left with tail down.

I think Goldsmiths sell serveral dozen each week btw. perhaps just not to us....YET!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 03:52 AM   #37
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
even two years ago in the UK you would have had great difficulty sourcing that watch. Today its pretty much impossible. If its discontinued or not, which it isn't (yet) doesn't matter. You still probably won't be able to get it from an AD in the UK
I agree, I started to look in late 2016, but got sidetracked with a s/h 16610
Moved that on last year as it wasn't the one for me, but then got to the AD wait list party quite late.

With hindsight if I had been on waitlist back then I could be admiring the scrapes and wear marks on my watch now!!!
Whist I am not with the "trusted seller/grey" extra rip off margin stuff -there must be a time at which it would be cheaper to go that route rather than visiting many more UK AD's - who will all say the same thing, a NO (in a variety of ways/forms and sometimes with rudeness!)
Old 17 February 2019, 04:14 AM   #38
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
I know the feeling, I saw a HULK flipped on ebay and it also mentioned the AD by name.
When I went in to see AD, with my tail wagging - thinking Oh, so they CAN GET THEM! - they did not want to add me to the list!

I think Goldsmiths sell serveral dozen each week btw. perhaps just not to us....YET!
Might be worth biting the bullet and going grey.
Grey prices this time last year were low £8s I’m sure and now they’re £10-11.
Old 17 February 2019, 04:29 AM   #39
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Might be worth biting the bullet and going grey.
Grey prices this time last year were low £8s I’m sure and now they’re £10-11.
Yes your probably right. Is their like a website that scans all places that sells watches and notifies you when one comes in on your price range? I remember somebody posting details of something like that here.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 04:54 AM   #40
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

I’d pass on the blnr and just get the LN GMT... “everybody” has got a BLNR
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 05:04 AM   #41
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That’s the problem right there. People think you need to spend lots of money to get these watches from an AD. Whilst it clearly helps, these days AD’s value people they can trust not to flip above all else - at least in the U.K. The person who sold the LVc you mentioned and/or his manager will probably get a bollocking from somebody at Rolex and these guys are terrified of potentially losing AD status because of the flipping of in-demand references.

So if you can become a guy that they can have some trust won’t flip a watch (obviously easier said than done) then “the list” becomes easier to climb.
Old 17 February 2019, 05:24 AM   #42
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

IIRC the BLNR is the first bi-color Ceramic bezel produced by Rolex. So there is that aspect driving desirability and the simple fact that it just plain looks good. I really wasn't a GMT guy and then I started with the EXii, didn't care for it and saw the BLNR release at Basel and thought wow, that is a good looking piece. Took a little while, but I eventually procured one and have been quite happy with its acquisition.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 05:29 AM   #43
IceMan0510
"TRF" Member

I was actually able to get one with no wait from an AD. Got Lucky
IceMan0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 05:56 AM   #44
daytonastl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes 100 percent true I will keep looking maybe gutted is a strong word more like ahh come on I didn’t think it would be so tough to just get on a waiting list lol. It does seem tougher in the UK though with these watches
Since several people have made the obvious (and correct) suggestion of going secondary market, why have you not even acknowledged that? It is the ONLY way you will get one any time soon. DavidSW has two right now and I saw a couple of others from TS in the FOR SALE section of this site. Instant gratification. Playing the AD game is just not a good idea unless you’re in standing to actually get the watch from them or develop the patience to wait a good, long while. It is not a rare watch at all. It is just a watch that is mostly unavailable in the traditional distribution channel.
daytonastl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 05:59 AM   #45
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonastl View Post
Since several people have made the obvious (and correct) suggestion of going secondary market, why have you not even acknowledged that? It is the ONLY way you will get one any time soon. DavidSW has two right now and I saw a couple of others from TS in the FOR SALE section of this site. Instant gratification. Playing the AD game is just not a good idea unless you’re in standing to actually get the watch from them or develop the patience to wait a good, long while. It is not a rare watch at all. It is just a watch that is mostly unavailable in the traditional distribution channel.
It sticks in some people’s craws to pay £5k over list for what is as you yourself say not a rare watch.
Old 17 February 2019, 06:33 PM   #46
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
I’d pass on the blnr and just get the LN GMT... “everybody” has got a BLNR

God yeh....every man and his dog LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2019, 06:42 PM   #47
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Probably you have to wait what Rolex will reveal at Baselworld in March. ADs will keep their stocked BLNRs in the safes until then.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:37 PM   #48
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
It sticks in some people’s craws to pay £5k over list for what is as you yourself say not a rare watch.
Seems to be a b*stard hard watch to get at msrp in the UK, it makes a regular production watch rare for me at least!
Old 17 February 2019, 09:46 PM   #49
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Blnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa View Post
Can someone please explain to me what is so special about the BLNR? Is is that the color combination is super fascinating? Not trying to be an ass, but a lot of this hype is about herd mentality and wanting something that is not available. As someone mentioned above, it's just a regular steel GMT with some blue.
I've always wondered why all the hype too. Its a nice watch but paying over the odds for a bit of blue !
Old 17 February 2019, 09:52 PM   #50
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems to be a b*stard hard watch to get at msrp in the UK, it makes a regular production watch rare for me at least!
Sadly there are loads on resellers websites.

If you wanted to create a watch that would by design be flipped at a high rate you’d basically produce the BLNR:

- Supply less than demand meaning people essentially want it through FOMO/hype
- Strong resale prices meaning money can be made selling it
- Strong resale prices meaning people who don’t actually want the watch will still buy it “just in case”
- PCL’s look great when new but scratches make some people twitch enough to not bond with it
- Novelty of the bi-colour bezel can wear off

All that means that fewer people that actually love the watch for what it is can get it. Then the AD’s try to combat that by withholding warranty cards and selling to people they know and they get grief for it.

It all adds up to being crap for the WIS and crap for the AD.
Old 17 February 2019, 10:10 PM   #51
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
So far 5 ADS

For me it’s very sad we can’t go to an AD and just get what we want......unless you’re like a VIP for that AD

But IMHO it’s even worst going to pay more for that same watch somewhere else.....because this is part of the problem!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:43 PM   #52
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I was on a forum a long time ago with Johanssen; not impressed in the least. Not too impressed by the BLNR either. I'll pass!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 11:03 PM   #53
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
You have the answer, Trusted Seller/Grey Market. This is not personal in AD's refusal to put you on a list. They are doing you a favor. Go get the watch you want and get the best deal possible.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:56 AM   #54
HappyFish
Banned

End of 2019 the BLNR will be traded at 20k! Sure, sure, sure! It' s an icon even more you doubt it today!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:06 AM   #55
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post

I was on a forum a long time ago with Johanssen; not impressed in the least.
Whaaaaa....? We're gonna need details, man. Details!

Yeah, not a fan of the BLNR either. OP, my recommendation is to do some soul searching and see if it is really the watch you want or it's the hype.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:09 AM   #56
Roll X
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
I'd rather have a date with Scarlett Johansson.
And if you did get that date, there would be people telling you that they prefer the smaller Scarlett because she was more iconic.
Roll X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:14 AM   #57
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
It's just a watch. Think about it. It's just a watch. Anyone who feels "gutted" by a situation like this should have a lot of things in life to be grateful for if something as trivial as this makes you feel this way. Focus on what you have, not what you don't.
Obviously you’re right. But put things in perspective. This is a watch forum. This is where you go to talk about almost nothing else but watches. In the TRF world I think it’s ok to say you feel gutted. I think most understand you’re not placing a watch over the truly important things in life.

Listen, I don’t know the OP, maybe he needs to see a therapist or priest about a watch, which would obviously be ridiculous, but more likely than not he’s trying to go to the one place it’s ok to vent and say things like he feels gutted without being judged.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:17 AM   #58
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
I have been trying to get a BLNR. I think getting a date with scarlett johansson is going to be easier than getting this watch! Anyway at least 5 Ads have told me the BLNR is getting discontinued after March. I am gutted
I'll give you my BLNR if you can get me a date with Scarlett Johansson.......and get my wife to agree with it!
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:18 AM   #59
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Obviously you’re right. But put things in perspective. This is a watch forum. This is where you go to talk about almost nothing else but watches. In the TRF world I think it’s ok to say you feel gutted. I think most understand you’re not placing a watch over the truly important things in life.

Listen, I don’t know the OP, maybe he needs to see a therapist or priest about a watch, which would obviously be ridiculous, but more likely than not he’s trying to go to the one place it’s ok to vent and say things like he feels gutted without being judged.
agree. I can get pretty upset about whatever watch related problem of the day seems to be and then close my computer and go about my day. If people are really bringing all this watch stuff with them offline then they probably will have issues
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 03:26 AM   #60
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

At least the grey prices aren't as bad as the BLRO - just suck it up and get one.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote