The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 May 2013, 09:02 PM   #1
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
Selling off Rolexes to get Tudors.....

After last years Sky-Dweller and this years anniversary Daytona and Blue/black GMT, i find my love for Rolex is winding down abit. Also I've never really warmed up to the ceramic version Subs with the big lugs and the 42mm Exp is not really my thing either. None of the new Rolexes really sing to me, so all I am left with are the old models of which I have tried and owned almost all.... So I guess you could say I've become a little "bored" with the brand...

Now what HAS got my heart racing lately is Tudor.... Ever since the fist Heritage Chrono, along with the Black Bay, Pelagos, Advisor and now this years Blue Heritage, I have been absolutely in love with Tudor. To me it seems they designwise are doing everything Rolex wont do, and still they are maintaining an affordable pricelevel across the range of models. And my impression is that none of the Tudors leave anything to be desired from Rolex, apart from MAYBE the inhouse caliber. But lets face it, a top grade ETA caliber will most likely live just as long as a Rolex movement will, so its more a matter of exclusivity than it is a matter of durability.

So what I am contemplating is selling off all my Rolexes, not that there are that many right now, and instead buying a BB, Pelagos, Advisor and put an order in for the Blue Heritage Chrono..... And stick the rest of the money in a vault till something else comes along...

Am I off my trolley? or has anyone else had the same thoughts??
BawlaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 09:05 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Peoples tastes change, I know mine have.

Do what makes you happy, there is no right or wrong with an emotional hobby
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
If you constantly need to be buying/selling something, why not.

I personally like my watch (SubC) and I'll keep it for life. If anything I'll buy some more watches.. but to sell a watch just to buy another, just to get bored with it again.. not my style.

But if everybody would be like me, there would be no cheaper preloved Rolexes around. :)
Furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Not so strange. I've sold a Rolex to fund a Tudor. Made sense to me and happy with my decision.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Well I wont sell off my beloved Sea-Dweller - That stays for life, since it has sentimental value for me. I just miss being exited about a new model and anticipating it's release and I havent felt that with Rolex for a long time. But on the other hand I'm always DEAD curious to see new releases from Tudor....

Maybe I will just sell off one Rolex and buy the new Heritage and an Advisor. I mean the 16600 Dweller is as much dive/tool watch as I'll ever need
Old 3 May 2013, 09:24 PM   #6
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawlaDK View Post
Am I off my trolley? or has anyone else had the same thoughts??
For different reasons.

I started offloading my beloved Rolexes when I noticed a trend in the new people sporting them. Even in my own office. They wear them as a badge of wealth rather than appreciation of a fine brand, timepiece or display of excellence in miniaturisation.

The endless 'what Rolex should I buy?, 'what colour face should I get?' and the 'can I wear a rolex in the shower?' threads lend credence to my feelings. If you don;t know, then perhaps they're not for you!

Maybe I need to go Vintage!
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 09:52 PM   #7
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Morton, I can see your point. I never was even aware of the Tudor brand until I joined TRF. They have a great lineup. I'd consider keeping maybe one Rolex though if I were you, but hey, if they aren't singing to you anymore then why not make the switch. I'd have no problem with ETA movements.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Your says you have an SD? I wouldn't move that watch for any Tudor, but there are other Rolexes I would sell for a Pelagos or THC, sure. Good luck with your choices.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 10:25 PM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
What's wrong with liking Tudor? Keep one Rolex and dive into the Tudor brand.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Do what ever makes you happy Morten ! I have Rolex's and Tudors and love both brands.
Maybe a good strategy would be to keep you favorite Rolex(or 2) and sell the rest for Tudor's ?? Then you'd have the best of both worlds !
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 10:51 PM   #11
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Yeah I think i hear what most of you are saying. I'll probably sell off a couple of Rolexes and dive on into Tudor.... Most likely I'll start off with the Advisor and the Blue Heritage as they dont resemble anything else I have.

Thanks for input guys - And enjoy the weekend!!!!
Old 3 May 2013, 10:55 PM   #12
Brisman
"TRF" Member

Sorry, off topic and I'm sure it's been asked before.

What's the plural, Rolex or Rolexes, I would have thought Rolex.
Brisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 11:06 PM   #13
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisman View Post
Sorry, off topic and I'm sure it's been asked before.

What's the plural, Rolex or Rolexes, I would have thought Rolex.
1x Rolex, 76 x Rolex - no 'es', or 's' or - especially " 's" !
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 11:10 PM   #14
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I feel the same. The only new Rolex I like is the Blue YM.
I do what to see the new Tudor Chonos, other than that its vintage for me both Tudor and Rolex.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 11:13 PM   #15
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

I agree with your logic. I would definitely do it.
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 11:21 PM   #16
zhiunit
"TRF" Member

Watch: grandseiko sbgj001
when buying a watch, how YOU feel is most important, ignore everyone else =)
-Grand Seiko SBGJ001
zhiunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 11:39 PM   #17
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Sure, why not? Do what you like, they are just watches. Take care of your health and family and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 3 May 2013, 11:43 PM   #18
expat1

Watch: SD, ExpII, BLNR
Nothing wrong with that - but remember, you'll need to sell multiple Tudor's to fund your next Rolex!!
expat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 11:47 PM   #19
ChallengerSRT8
Banned

Watch: Tudor Hert Chrono
It's not crazy at all in my opinion. I am bored with Rolex too. I just picked up a black Tudor Heritage Chrono and I like it better than any Rolex I have owned. I like the chronos so much I will add the blue one once it comes out. It puts the Daytona to shame if you ask me particularly when you consider the price. I think among us WIS, Tudor is gaining some serious momentum and when the hit the US again, I think Tudor will do what it needs to do to be a big seller.
ChallengerSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 11:55 PM   #20
VADanno
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Turn-O-Graph
There's room in my life for both Tudor and Rolex. I prefer the Tudor Chrono to the Daytona for two reasons. First, the date wheel with a cyclops. I find that complication useful. Second is the price point. I can have a Rolex Sub and a Tudor Chrono for the cost of a Daytona...pre-loved, of course! That combo will handle my tool watch needs for the foreseeable future. That just leaves a YG DD or DJ dress watch to round out the collection.
VADanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 12:01 AM   #21
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

I say go for it. No sense in holding on to watches that no longer bring enjoyment.

Happy Hunting!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 12:11 AM   #22
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
For different reasons.

I started offloading my beloved Rolexes when I noticed a trend in the new people sporting them. Even in my own office. They wear them as a badge of wealth rather than appreciation of a fine brand, timepiece or display of excellence in miniaturisation.

The endless 'what Rolex should I buy?, 'what colour face should I get?' and the 'can I wear a rolex in the shower?' threads lend credence to my feelings. If you don;t know, then perhaps they're not for you!

Maybe I need to go Vintage!
vintage is where the loves at, I was at lunch the other day, noticed the gentlemen at the booth next to me was wearing an explorer 2. I complimented on him and I was like I like your rolex that's an explorer right? he looked down for a few seconds at it and was like uhh Yeah. and he was like do you have the same one and I showed him my vintage oyster and he just said classy. but obviously didn't know much or care to talk about watches at all.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 12:31 AM   #23
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
This is one of the reasons why I also feel the same way you do. I don't want people thinking I'm wearing the watch because I want to show off. Plenty of non-WIS recognize Rolex. I'd prefer to only have my watch recognized by those "in the know." I love talking watches with other watch fans, but I don't want to hear "how much did you pay for that?!" or "oh wow, you have a ROLEX?!"
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 01:22 AM   #24
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Why not, I have several of both marques and I find myself wearing Tudor almost all the time. That new blue THC is stunning.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 01:24 AM   #25
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
1x Rolex, 76 x Rolex - no 'es', or 's' or - especially " 's" !
Thanks for the info ! Must be my Canadian English EH !! LOL

Have a great weekend everybody !
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 01:42 AM   #26
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
This is one of the reasons why I also feel the same way you do. I don't want people thinking I'm wearing the watch because I want to show off. Plenty of non-WIS recognize Rolex. I'd prefer to only have my watch recognized by those "in the know." I love talking watches with other watch fans, but I don't want to hear "how much did you pay for that?!" or "oh wow, you have a ROLEX?!"
This is why I love the sub. Not too many people know what it is and oddly enough it looks great with a button down shirt or a t shirt etc.

Now when I wear my Daytona it usually stays under my cuff which barely gets seen. I like it that way because I wear it for me.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 01:46 AM   #27
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
vintage is where the loves at, I was at lunch the other day, noticed the gentlemen at the booth next to me was wearing an explorer 2. I complimented on him and I was like I like your rolex that's an explorer right? he looked down for a few seconds at it and was like uhh Yeah. and he was like do you have the same one and I showed him my vintage oyster and he just said classy. but obviously didn't know much or care to talk about watches at all.
Based on your story, I'd say modern is where it's at because he didn't seem interested in a vintage oyster
Old 4 May 2013, 01:53 AM   #28
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Why should one care about why someone else gets a Rolex ? Or conversely why would you need to care what someone else may or may not think about you having a Rolex. If they paid for it fair and square, like any other purchase they are entitled to wear it when they want where they want.

People either don't understand or are too ignorant to want to understand. It's like anything else. I get feedback from idiots from work, they say how can you pay $150 for a tie ? My mrs paid 50c for mine. I see the 100k car that they drive. 99% of people I have ever met have double standards. People value only things that they like and very few people can appreciate things they they do not own themselves.

If you spend too much time worrying what everyone perceives, then you are just their puppet right ?

I will show anything I buy to anyone, and see how they will react. People will also get out of their way to tell you that you should never show off anything. It should be a secret.

I wouldn't say I show off many things that I have brought, but it is my right to if I want. I don't see any media from Rolex on the do's and do nots. Who you should show it to or make sure you buy it for the right reasons that suits them. Otherwise it's a prime example of living a double standard. You are not going to stop someone about to open a $1000 bottle of wine at a Resturant as you ask them hang on, do you have a good reason to open that bottle ?

I would never sell anything because or a reason from someone else or their perception. As far as I am concerned the rest can move along their merry way. I get great enjoyment wearing and owning my Rolex. I have an eye on a blue two tone sub but I won't trade my current one for it. I won't grow sick of it. It's not like a woman you can marry only one, its a watch you can have as many brands/models as you want lol. Unless you need the trade in money for the new acquirement.

I stopped living for others perceptions it served me no useful purpose. My uncle couldn't stop me getting a Rolex so what chance does any random person have ?

You learn a lot about people what each person thinks about watches and jewelry as well as what they value. You see how they can react and you can sometimes get the occasional person who gives you the impression that they are a better person than you because they wouldn't spend that much money on jewelry when there's so many poor people out there blah blah.

Let people be and don't jet them turn you into someone else because they don't approve.
Mont Blanc Starwalker Red Gold Fineliner & Mech Pencil
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Red Gold 90th Anniv FPen
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 03:02 AM   #29
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
I think you're nuts but peoples tastes change :)

One thing for sure is you'll get a better bang for your buck!

Go for it if it's what you want
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 03:18 AM   #30
Frogman4me
Banned

I used to have all rolex watches and no Tudors. Now I have one rolex and whole bunch of Tudors! Something special about the brand and my favorite part that I really love is the name flies under the radar!
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote