The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2013, 03:01 PM   #31
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
I think that if you're factoring in resale value at this point, you'd do much better to wait for such a time as resale value is the last thing on your mind.

Then, you can just enjoy your watch and if you do for some reason have to sell, you can rest assured that you'll get a good price for something that you fully enjoyed owning for a time.

You should by a Rolex because with care, it will last at least your lifetime. Resale value is just lagniappe.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 03:14 PM   #32
Speed
"TRF" Member

Don't get fancy in your analysis and over think things.

Again. the watch you are considering is not a popular model. You will not retire on the proceeds. You will very likely lose money as buyers will not be beating down your door to buy it. The watch is 34mm if I recall. Very small by today's standards. The market is limited.

Buy it to wear if you like it. If you are obsessed with resale, perhaps a fine watch is not for you...or you should consider one of the more popular / more "liquid" models.

Good luck.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 11:33 PM   #33
VADanno
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Turn-O-Graph
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon888 View Post
Don't forget the RSC overhaul maintenance service that may cost you thousands of dollars every few years. Add that to the depreciation value. But hey, we buy cars that depreciate even more than a Rolex watch and cost more in using gasoline every year. Lol
I would consider $100/year a good average for amortizing maintenance on a Rolex, if you use the Rolex service center for upkeep. You can cut this cost in half by using one of the recommended watch makers here on TRF. I would also agree with the crowd here that you are best served buying a SS sports model like a Sub used from a reliable source here on TRF. This will keep your acquisition cost closer to the resale value, and these models are highest in demand for a quick sale should you need to convert your Rolex to cash.
VADanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2013, 05:00 AM   #34
ACURATL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
.... to your statement..if you know Rolex like me who has flipped many sometimes making thousands in weeks I disagree with your above statements. Rolex typically does price increases once or twice a year at or around 8%. Do the math. My Dad back in 1968 bought a 18K Solid Gold Rolex GMT II for $1,100. In the condition it's in now it will sell for 15K all day long because it has all the original paperwork, boxes and service papers since new.
This was exactly what was on my mind when I first introduced the topic. There was an excel spreadsheet tracking the prices of different models over a 60 year span and the price increases averaged out to be in the range of 8-13% depending on the model. So with the prices of new watches increasing year over year or every 2 years, wouldn't the value of a used model appreciate abit to somewhat offset the price of depreciation?

I definitely agree that once the watch is purchased, the value of it drops by around 20% but I do in my opinion think that these watches have somewhat of a price floor given that its well maintained and not frequently worn on a daily basis.
ACURATL is offline   Reply With Quote