The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Service history/authenticity check for used Rolex

When buying a used Rolex, if it is old enough >5yrs old, is it common to have the service record history?

Also, if I buy a used Rolex, can I specifically request an RSC to check its authenticity, and if so, how much does it cost? Do they actually open up the watch or just superficially examine the watch?

Thanks!
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

RSC will not authenticate a watch. However, if you were to send it to them they would give you a recommendation for service. You could then deny the service and have it sent back to you. So, you will indirectly have it authenticated by RSC. Only costs the shipping charges. Of course, if the watch is stolen or a replica it will be confiscated. But then you'll know it was not a legit watch. Do your research on the model you want and learn what to look for. And buy the seller, not the watch.
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Meh...depends...I buy the seller not the watch. Service history is not a huge deal to me. Condition of the watch is key...is it beat to hell and back? Condition is in the eye of the beholder. I have a really good Rolex AD that I can trust and have known for many, many years..so he checks them out for me for free of charge. If you send or drop at RSC i'm sure it's going to be a few $$$ to get it looked at. Good luck!
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Service history alone and in itself means absolutely SFA to me, really. Anything could've happened to the watch since that service, and you should buy the seller and the watch, and not the little piece of paper that comes with it.

First off, I start with a seller who has a good reputation and provides a guarantee for their watches, and then...

I always check the visible condition of the watch with my own eyes, and then have the seller put the watch on the timegrapher for me so that I can see just how healthy it is before I begin to negotiate on the price. If the amplitude is low or the beat rate or error is way off, then I either use that as a negotiating tool since I'll have to factor a service in with the total cost of the watch, or I simply disregard that particular watch if the seller has many of the same reference. If the watch is healthy, and I know that the watch should be good for years to come, then I negotiate purely on the outward appearance/condition of the watch. If I feel that I'm getting a good value for my $ based on these criteria, then I go ahead with the deal.

Apart from that, what Cesium said is correct.
Old 13 May 2013, 12:59 PM   #5
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Buy seller
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 01:09 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Maybe your best bet is buying pre-owned from your AD. No worries.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
When buying a used Rolex, if it is old enough >5yrs old, is it common to have the service record history?

Also, if I buy a used Rolex, can I specifically request an RSC to check its authenticity, and if so, how much does it cost? Do they actually open up the watch or just superficially examine the watch?

Thanks!
. No, it is not common to have or know the service history on a watch.. You may know if the owner has kept the service papers..

. RSC will never superficially examine the watch.. If they "authenticate", it is taken down to the last screw and costs about 600 bucks because they do a full service at the time... It would be a bit senseless to take it completely apart and not replace worn/incorrect parts and clean and oil it..

(any competent watchmaker can do a superficial examination and tell you if the watch is authentic except for some possible replacement parts inside)
Old 13 May 2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium133 View Post
RSC will not authenticate a watch. However, if you were to send it to them they would give you a recommendation for service. You could then deny the service and have it sent back to you. So, you will indirectly have it authenticated by RSC. Only costs the shipping charges. Of course, if the watch is stolen or a replica it will be confiscated. But then you'll know it was not a legit watch. Do your research on the model you want and learn what to look for. And buy the seller, not the watch.
I'm researching the model, and people can tell you little facts about the watch, like when it was made,prices, etc.

But it seems like that the only advice anybody really needs to know when it comes time to buy is to buy the seller. I just like to know all the options out there for evaluating a rolex. Even when I get one I'll need to know when something wrong with it vs not.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote