The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Closed Thread

Old 8 June 2013, 11:38 PM   #1
mcavana

Watch: 16610
Why even own a Rolex when you can get this?

I could never justify buying a Rolex again. For that matter I don't think I could buy any expensive watch again. During my time of dabbling with Rolex watches I have owned 3 different Submariners, an Explorer 2, a new Milguass, and a GMT II.

Recently I had to put my 16610 on market because I need the cash for my business. Its replacement was a Seiko Black Monster purchased new off of Amazon for $211.00, and that included next day delivery.

My observations so far:

* The Monster, an automatic, keeps better time then any of the Rolex watches I have owned to date. I got the watch 3 days ago and so far it has gained 1 second total in 3 days.
* The Monster lume is 100 times better then ANYTHING Rolex has out. After 12 hours of sleep in a room with zero light, the lume still shines perfectly bright.
* With drilled lug holes it is as easy as it gets to swap out bracelet for Nato and vice versa. Because of the indention's on the back lugs, it is actually 10 times easier to install the bracelet then on my 16610.
* The Monster bracelet is in my opinion, better then the 93150.. I say this because of the clasp system, the solid end links, and the overall solid feel of the bracelet. If I ever manage to destroy this bracelet, do you know what a brand new one costs??? $59!
* The unidirectional bezel is smoother and flat out works better then the one on my sub.
* The monster has a day and date complication.... You cant get that complication in Rolex on a new watch without spending more then 20k!
* Factory Replacement and Custom parts for this watch are ridiculously cheap!!!! Dials are $15! Saphire crystals $60! Hand sets $15! Bezels $15 (5) case gaskets $12! complete 7s26 MOVEMENTS $50!!!!

For the price of my Rolex insurance policy, I could buy a new Monster each year. Unbelievable.
Old 8 June 2013, 11:44 PM   #2
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Glad you're happy with it.
Old 8 June 2013, 11:50 PM   #3
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
$211.00 for an automatic watch. I assume it's swiss made, holds it's value and makes a statement about its wearer? And makes a fine heirloom to hand down, generation after generation? And its style will remain classic for decade after decade?

Or do those things cost a little more?
Old 9 June 2013, 12:04 AM   #4
mcavana

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
I assume it's swiss made, holds it's value and makes a statement about its wearer? And makes a fine heirloom to hand down, generation after generation? And its style will remain classic for decade after decade?

Or do those things cost a little more?
Japanese 21 Jewel Movement.

It certainly makes a statement about the wearer. If I saw a monster in the wild, I would know that the wearer was either very lucky, or very smart to own the best value automatic in the world.

LOL I understand your point my friend. Technically speaking though, While the Monster doesn't hold its value better then a Rolex. Take a new Rolex out of the store and its value drops by thousands of dollars. Take a monster out of the store and its value might drop $50.

I wanted to do the heirloom thing for a long time. It is part of the reason I got into Rolex in the first place. The problem though is 9 times out of 10, you kid is NOT going to like the style watch you like. Sure they will appreciate the gift, but that doesn't mean it won't simply end up collecting dust in the drawer. I learned this lesson the hard way with a car I was keeping to hand down to my son.
Old 9 June 2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Glad your happy with your new watch Mikey !! Congrats and enjoy !
Old 9 June 2013, 02:31 AM   #6
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
Japanese 21 Jewel Movement.

It certainly makes a statement about the wearer. If I saw a monster in the wild, I would know that the wearer was either very lucky, or very smart to own the best value automatic in the world.

LOL I understand your point my friend. Technically speaking though, While the Monster doesn't hold its value better then a Rolex. Take a new Rolex out of the store and its value drops by thousands of dollars. Take a monster out of the store and its value might drop $50.

I wanted to do the heirloom thing for a long time. It is part of the reason I got into Rolex in the first place. The problem though is 9 times out of 10, you kid is NOT going to like the style watch you like. Sure they will appreciate the gift, but that doesn't mean it won't simply end up collecting dust in the drawer. I learned this lesson the hard way with a car I was keeping to hand down to my son.
Okay. But here's the thing about your post: I could live in a tent, instead of a house. Or in a trailer. I could drive a beater car rather than my Porsche. I could wear hand me down or second hand clothing. All of those things are cheaper.

But none of them are better. The quality of your monster is quite poor compared to a Rolex or a Patek. The quality of a Hyundai Accent is less than the quality of a 911. The quality of fine clothing is far superior to what you get at walmart.

You like your monster. I get it. But to extol it based on how cheap it is on a Rolex forum is a bit puzzling. Clearly, you're posting in a forum where people value quality and value over price alone. I don't understand why you'd do that.

Good luck with your watch. Hope it lasts.
Old 9 June 2013, 02:47 AM   #7
HRFdez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date
Quote:
Okay. But here's the thing about your post: I could live in a tent, instead of a house. Or in a trailer. I could drive a beater car rather than my Porsche. I could wear hand me down or second hand clothing. All of those things are cheaper.

But none of them are better. The quality of your monster is quite poor compared to a Rolex or a Patek. The quality of a Hyundai Accent is less than the quality of a 911. The quality of fine clothing is far superior to what you get at walmart.

You like your monster. I get it. But to extol it based on how cheap it is on a Rolex forum is a bit puzzling. Clearly, you're posting in a forum where people value quality and value over price alone. I don't understand why you'd do that.

Good luck with your watch. Hope it lasts.
Just tell us how you really feel and of course, it is your opinion, just as he was giving us his opinion, so it will be respected, it just don't make it a fact amigo.....No need to get into a pissing contest over a freaking watch.
Old 9 June 2013, 03:07 AM   #8
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRFdez View Post
Just tell us how you really feel and of course, it is your opinion, just as he was giving us his opinion, so it will be respected, it just don't make it a fact amigo.....No need to get into a pissing contest over a freaking watch.
My, my. A bit sensitive, aren't we? Or perhaps the difference between a discussion and a "pissing match" eludes you. And it is not merely my opinion that a Rolex exceeds the quality of a 299 dollar watch, I'd say it was a fact.
Old 9 June 2013, 03:25 AM   #9
HRFdez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My, my. A bit sensitive, aren't we? Or perhaps the difference between a discussion and a "pissing match" eludes you. And it is not merely my opinion that a Rolex exceeds the quality of a 299 dollar watch, I'd say it was a fact.
Me? Ha! I see watches for what they are, nothing more than a luxury item, period. I don't come here to brag or show off, not my style.

You were not having a discussion, you were talking down to the member because of his choice. Even if you don't agree, have more class, wish him well, and move on. That would have been more honorable. Of course, this is my opinion

It seems you were the sensitive one....
Old 9 June 2013, 03:36 AM   #10
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRFdez View Post
Me? Ha! I see watches for what they are, nothing more than a luxury item, period. I don't come here to brag or show off, not my style.

You were not having a discussion, you were talking down to the member because of his choice. Have more class, wish him well, and move on. That would have been more honorable. Of course, this is my opinion

It seems you were the sensitive one....
If you can point to a sentence where I talked down to the OP, please do so. He, on the other hand, opined that his $299 watch was just as good as a Rolex. I said that was hogwash, and offered examples to illuminate the point. If he were to say, "here's my new watch, ain't it great", then I would, in fact, wish him well. But he did not. He said he was never going to buy a Rolex again because his inexpensive watch is just as good. That is untrue, and I said so.

You should learn to join in a discussion, rather than taking ill informed potshots from the sidelines. You might learn something.
Old 9 June 2013, 04:40 AM   #11
HRFdez
"TRF" Member

I'll take it under advice, lol...

OP, enjoy your new watch.
Old 9 June 2013, 05:57 AM   #12
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I know how nice it is to get a pleasant surprise on an inexpensive watch.

I just lucked out to the max. I wanted to see if I would like a Pepsi insert on my GMT, so I got an Invicta Pro Diver with a blue dial and Pepsi insert. I had planned on giving it to my nephew when I had decided.

I now know I like the Pepsi. But, the one in a million Invicta keeps time to the second on my wrist. It looses a couple of seconds when it is in the box. It must be in tune with me. I appreciate the watch because of its accuracy, but it does not have the beauty of my blue Sub.
IBTL
Old 9 June 2013, 06:04 AM   #13
Wacker23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex sub
Listen a Rolex might be be wy more expensive than it should be, but theres a reason why the Seiko monster is a 200 dollar watch so please dont compare it to a rolex sub,your just beign silly.
Old 9 June 2013, 06:06 AM   #14
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Could have gotten a digital for $11, would have included a stop watch & a calculator... Maybe you over paid?

I really like the Seiko's, that was my first automatic watch & will always have my respect.
Old 10 June 2013, 02:14 AM   #15
crazyasian
"TRF" Member

Sorrymy friend, you over paid for your watch... Its less than $200 LOL

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Divers-A...+black+monster
Old 10 June 2013, 05:46 AM   #16
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
I paid about $260 for this watch from Amazon.de - it's a six band atomic; always spot on for time, day, and date. For what it is, I love the watch. It's a great weekender and something I can wear while washing the car, cooking on the grill, or just hanging around the house or running errands. I think it's one of the best looking G-shocks ever made, and the fact that it is a limited edition makes it even more fun to own..
That being said, it's not a Rolex, PP, AP, Omega, Breitling, PAM, etc..etc.. Just not in the same league, but I appreciate what it is - a pretty damn cool watch for not much money.

Old 10 June 2013, 06:47 AM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMatt View Post
I paid about $260 for this watch from Amazon.de - it's a six band atomic; always spot on for time, day, and date. For what it is, I love the watch. It's a great weekender and something I can wear while washing the car, cooking on the grill, or just hanging around the house or running errands. I think it's one of the best looking G-shocks ever made, and the fact that it is a limited edition makes it even more fun to own..
That being said, it's not a Rolex, PP, AP, Omega, Breitling, PAM, etc..etc.. Just not in the same league, but I appreciate what it is - a pretty damn cool watch for not much money.

That is a pretty damn cool watch for what it is!
Old 10 June 2013, 01:37 PM   #18
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

Watch: u c
There's a lotta stuff going on with that G-Shock.
It'd take me a few minutes a day to keep up with all the info and button play!
I do like all the orange accents and the strap, but the rest is too busy for me.
Wear it in good health and by all means enjoy it daily.

To the Seiko Monster owner Mikey, if you dig it, great. Function wise, it'll take a knock on the case that won't make you cry dollar bills. Would that be covered by your insurance?
Just curious.

cheers,
richard
Old 10 June 2013, 02:30 PM   #19
KeithRVA

OP, I'm glad you are enjoying your purchase. Wear it in good health.
Old 10 June 2013, 10:59 PM   #20
Americandave
"TRF" Member

Mcavana, have you considered timex? Every quartz model they make is several orders of magnitude more accurate than your black Monster, and infinitely cheaper to service, along with being more shock resistant.

If real world accuracy and dependability are what you want out of a watch, it's probably not the sort of thing you want to collect....a cell phone tells you the time more accurately than your watch ever will, and a quartz movement bests automatics in every "use" measure imaginable.

Watches are a style item, and collecting them is about expressing tastes and preferences.
Old 10 June 2013, 11:22 PM   #21
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Is there a 'monster' forum for this kind of thing...
Probably, I'd think - not that I'm going to look

"For the price of my Rolex insurance policy, I could buy a new Monster each year. Unbelievable."

Seems like the coin has just dropped about the relative price-points of various brands!

Hope you enjoy your inexpensive, super-accuarte watch to the full. I think the majority here will not be swayed enough by your personal observations to follow suit, however!
Old 10 June 2013, 11:41 PM   #22
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

different strokes for different folks.

i don't own a high-end watch because i think it can do X, Y, Z more than a monster, i own it for other reasons that can't be summed up in a bullet point list.

that being said, the monster is a fine choice. enjoy.
Old 10 June 2013, 11:41 PM   #23
jackwebb
"TRF" Member

Watch: crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent65 View Post
i think the majority here will not be swayed enough by your personal observations to follow suit, however!
+1
Old 11 June 2013, 02:54 AM   #24
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
It's all relative. If you lose 1k on an 8k purchase. That's still less, percentage wise, than $50 on a $250 purchase. Compare the two after some time and you will see that Rolex are much easier to sell for close to what you paid than a lot of other watches. All that matters is that you enjoy what you've bought. If you think it is a better deal than a Rolex, that is your opinion. 8k to spend on a watch is insane.. But it's a better deal then buying a high end car. There was an article in jalopnik about the depreciation of cars. RR lose 1k a week. People still buy em. End of the day, you spend money on what you value and it's noones business to tell you otherwise. Wear that monster in good health
Old 11 June 2013, 03:13 AM   #25
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
I have a G-Shock that cost much less than a Rolex, keeps better time, has more features, etc. The Seiko has an automatic movement. The Rolex has an automatic movement. I think the quality of a Rolex far exceeds the Rolex or a Seiko.. but they are in different leagues. All of them are great watches. I like my G-Shock just as much as I like my Rolex. I bought them for different reasons. Wear the Seiko in good health and enjoy. I may even pick one up myself. I like the orange faced Seiko "Monster". I bought my Rolex second hand (it was a year old). I got a good price and I think I could sell it for more than twice I paid for it.
Old 11 June 2013, 03:38 AM   #26
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Sure a $30 pair of Levis are actually more classic, rugged, and likely a better made jean than some designer $500 Gucci, Prada, etc.....That is not the case here.

Nice Seiko though but I'd take the Rolex any day of the week as long as I can afford it. As for the jeans, I'd take the Levis.
Enjoy your watch, as long as you're happy....rock on.
Old 11 June 2013, 05:16 AM   #27
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
I paid $1500 for my vintage rolex and I wouldn't sell it for less than twice what I paid. but it wouldn't sell at that price. I just love it too much, it's definatley going to be a watch for life.
Old 11 June 2013, 03:59 PM   #28
Glenn422
"TRF" Member

Enjoy your monster. :)
Old 11 June 2013, 04:20 PM   #29
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwebb View Post
+1
+ 2
Old 11 June 2013, 09:51 PM   #30
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
Mickey, I first read your "Why own" post a couple of days ago and thought no way ! Then my new Monster arrived and I can relate a little bit.

But I'm guessing once the Seiko Monster honeymoon period is over you may start missing your 16610.

In the meantime enjoy !
Closed Thread