The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2013, 09:24 AM   #31
francis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Hmmm, I guess I came to watches through my love of history. My grandfather fought in WW1 and my uncles in WW2. The great escape Rolex story is one of my favorites. My grails are Rolex's from these two eras....The Omega heading to the moon was the other big story for me... I only enjoy vintage Rolex's and am not into modern subs or whatever else. I also enjoy cutting edge mechanical things and this would account for the omega smp 2500d that I own... The perception is that Omega is on the cutting edge of horology more so than Rolex. ( at least in my opinion)
francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 10:17 AM   #32
melons
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Panerai
Got my first watch when I was 7, a Mickey Mouse Timex, I've never been without a watch since. I consider them machines that measure time and not jewelry. After a series of Omega's I got my first Rolex, because I considered then near perfect machines and still do. Never considered them status symbols though.
melons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 10:19 AM   #33
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
There are worse things to spend money on...
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 10:38 AM   #34
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I love wearing something so complicated on my wrist...oh and it's shiny.
Old 18 June 2013, 10:39 AM   #35
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

It's the design, the style- it's acceptable men's jewelry, a luxury you can enjoy every day, every second. To be honest, the mechanicals don't get me excited- unless there is a see-through caseback to admire the design. If a watch is beautiful, that's good enough for me.

I always liked watches even as a child- it was Swatch (until I lost it) and the Casio Databank- at that age, c'mon... you know you couldn't do any better. It had a keypad on it! Remember that calculator trick that spelled "boobless"? And doing that on your watch? Amazing!

I tried on my Dad's Movado from time to time, then bought a Gucci watch.

THEN... one day while walking through Aspen with my mom after graduating from college, I passed by a jewelry store and thought maybe I could get an idea for a watch for graduation. I walked in and saw these beautiful watches. Thinking they could be maybe $1,500, $2,000 tops (well, that seemed like an awful lot of money for a watch), I thought I found my graduation gift. I asked to see this watch. It was absolutely beautiful- I had never seen a watch like this before- and the back of it was see through and just gorgeous. The saleslady was very nice and let me try it on, saying I had excellent taste. It was some no name brand and I was ready to seal the deal- I asked how much it was like I was going to get it- she replied $11,500. My jaw hit the ground and my mom told me to take the watch off immediately!

And that was my first encounter with this brand called Patek Philippe. She gave me this magazine covering the history of Patek and I was hooked.

I ended up with an Omega Seamaster, which I've had for over a decade.

And now? Trying to buy a Rolex...
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 11:41 AM   #36
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
I blame my Mommie. She gave me a Wyler(which I still own) for my 6th birthday.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 11:55 AM   #37
427shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dj2 tt, 126610LV
For some reason I feel watches and cars go hand in hand. I'm a huge gear head and appreciate mechanic's of watches, I love the ingenuity, design, style, and masculinity of a rolex. Kinda reminds me of a sports or muscle car..... My grandfather was a huge watch guy so maybe it's in my blood lol
Old 18 June 2013, 01:11 PM   #38
Billywiz
Banned

Watch: YG President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
oh, i don't think that's the majority of people here. not even close. or, at least, not the majority of regular posters.
No ...but...I do think that in another interpretation you could say that having a Rolex is an accomplishment...somthing emotional and special and rare etc etc for its owner ...I think that would resinate with more members?
Billywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 01:12 PM   #39
Billywiz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427shark View Post
For some reason I feel watches and cars go hand in hand. I'm a huge gear head and appreciate mechanic's of watches, I love the ingenuity, design, style, and masculinity of a rolex. Kinda reminds me of a sports or muscle car..... My grandfather was a huge watch guy so maybe it's in my blood lol
agree...like 'ownng one of the best or a precious thing...'
Old 18 June 2013, 03:34 PM   #40
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
When I was really young (somewhere in the mid 60's) a friend of my father's came to the house when we were living in Los Angeles and I saw his watch and said something about how nice it was (it was a Rolex). He took it off and let me look at it for as long as I wanted. He said something about it only gaining a few seconds a month and that there was a little mechanism inside that made it wind itself and that he could go swimming with the sharks while wearing it. That really fascinated me and I remember looking at it for what seemed like hours; it was shiny and beautiful and the hollow ticking sound made it seem alive.
I'd always wanted one since then, but could never afford it until just the last few years.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 03:38 PM   #41
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Certainly a lot of owners bought the watch for no other reason than the imagined 'status'. I don't imagine many of them are long-time Members on TRF.
I get the feeling that most people on here like watches in general, not just Rolex watches.
It would be interesting to know if there are any other commonalities involved for TRF Members - maybe mechanical things?
I think there could be an art/design connection there as well.
The 'status' thing is almost a bit laughable in an age when there are lots of real 'status' brands that start where the Rolex price-range stops.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 05:46 PM   #42
rolex aficionado
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16018-16610-116520
Rolex reminds me of Dad. Period !
rolex aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 06:11 PM   #43
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

I have always lived around watches as my fathers a watchmaker. Midnight was fun in your house growing your about ten clocks woukd strike. Grandfathers, mantles, coo coo,s etc. :thumbup:
Old 18 June 2013, 10:01 PM   #44
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by billywiz View Post
agree...like 'ownng one of the best or a precious thing...'
My PRECIOUS!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gollum.jpg (52.8 KB, 164 views)
Daytona-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 11:04 PM   #45
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427shark View Post
What he said...except for the grandfather part.

Last edited by Tudor Fan; 18 June 2013 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: forgot something...
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 12:51 PM   #46
rolley7
"TRF" Member

Watch: the eastern sky
Watches tell us that our lives are passing like a vapor.....therefore we must make the most of our time....living each day like it may be our last......because it may be.
rolley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 01:17 PM   #47
luv2fly
Banned

Have always admired the creativity and intelligence that led to the invention of a process using energy released from tiny springs channeled through a clever mechanical design housed in beautiful compact wearable devices to accurately record the passage of our most precious gift...that's why I've always liked quality, highly accurate mechanical watches.
luv2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 01:34 PM   #48
Thebiglagu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater156 View Post
i'm speaking on behalf of the silent majority here, we want others to think we're successful and we consider a rolex a status symbol. I think a lot of people here would publicly disagree with this sentitment, but i believe if they're truly honest with themselves they will agree. Maybe they don't feel this way anymore, but i'd bet this is one of the reasons they, myself included, became interested in rolex.
+1
Thebiglagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 02:02 PM   #49
GED
"TRF" Member

Watch: d-d40wg
Zen and the art of un-wearing a Rolex:

Once at a Zen monastery the monks were shocked one morning when their sensei appeared sporting a gold Rolex(a Day-Date II, to be exact).

As this seemed very un-Zen like, many of the monks were quite disturbed-and disappointed with their teacher. But they kept their misgivings to themselves. He was, after all, the sensei.

Except one monk, who, after weeks went by, could no longer restrain himself.

Requesting an audience with the sensei, he asked his teacher:
Sensei, why the expensive watch?

The sensei answered:

“Grasshopper, I put it on a month ago-and then forgot about it. But you’ve been wearing it ever since!”
GED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 03:07 PM   #50
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

The very first Rolex I bought was for my father, some twenty-two years ago. It was at the start of my career and it took me nearly five months to pay it off. It felt really good buying that watch for him: I knew he would never buy something so extravagant for himself. It was a low-end Canadian model 9k. He wore it proudly for many years. I remembered how nice the feeling was and ended up buying myself a 1601 (I still have it!). This hasn't been an easy incarnation for me: I have worked over 65 hours a week, commuting over 22 hours to get to the jobs in addition to the work hours. I have done this now for over twenty years, rarely taking time off. There is no question why I buy watches: the overwhelming conscious/subconscious wish that I could buy TIME. More time for myself, to enjoy some of the great things this world has to offer. But for now, there are the watches. And they are magic. Imagine, a device that can take the simple motion of your daily movements and turn it into energy that can accurately drive such an accurate measurement device. Did you ever listen to an El Primero movement? Back when my hearing wasn't so far gone, that 36,600 beat sound was MANIC! I had one El Primero that was so perfectly tuned, it was more accurate than some of my lower end quartzes. Unbelievable. As for status, I wear whatever I want, how I want. Most collectors or purists are horrified by my choices of straps and bracelets. Many of you have mentioned a father's or grandfather's watch:mine had an UG Tri-Compax in 18k rose. He never wore it, it had been a present from his uncle. When he gave it to me two years ago, I really, really didn't want to take it because I knew what it meant. I buried him in February. And I miss him.
motoikkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 03:10 PM   #51
Billywiz
Banned

Used to take them apart as a kid...been fascinated Ever since.
Old 12 July 2013, 03:33 PM   #52
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarinda View Post
It's just a phase for me. I don't wear most of what i have anyways. Trading and hunting gives the adrenaline rush. Hence im never attached to any of them. I can wear a citizen or seiko right now if i have to.

Few years ago i was wearing a seiko my wife gave me and i never thought much of. It was so part of me i really only used it to tell time and date.

Now with the rolexes, i stare at them every few.minutes not really to look at the time....
Hahahaahaha
It's funny because its true
versatile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 03:44 PM   #53
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I have always loved machines, and time pieces. when I bought my first Rolex, I was 20 years old, in the US Navy in Hong Kong, and spent $ 60 US ($300 Kong Kong ) on it. I was an Electronic tech at the time, so was all about keeping time for crypto gear and was into the ship's chronometerers- saw a sailor kicked out for not winding the ship's chronometers and reporting so to he did to the Captian in his daily reports. My watches have nothing to do with my statis in life- I'm an electricial foreman on a medical facility plus so much more I have 6 rolex, wife has 2, We live in a 1400 square ft house, and drive Hondas. my timepieces are my life, as are my Fenders, and Les Pauls. Sorry for the rambling, but these little timepieces are so special to me, and to us all.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 07:32 PM   #54
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

It's the only form of jewellery a man can wear comfortably without other people looking at him out of the corners of their eyes.

And of course, because a well-made, handsome watch is a joy to behold.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 08:27 PM   #55
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

because diamonds and pearls are for girls...
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 08:43 PM   #56
submariner66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex aficionado View Post
Rolex reminds me of Dad. Period !
This!

My dad recently passed and he gave me his 1957 Precision manual wind and I got it serviced at RCS a year ago. Then I asked about new watches and came home with a submariner from tourneau. I had put off buying a Rolex for 20 years because of the cost and wishing it was not a status symbol. I was looking for something like it that no one would recognize but realized in the end I liked Rolex designs the best. So the heck with it- no regrets love wearing it and love reading this forum learning more about them.
submariner66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 11:26 PM   #57
datejusting
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I have always been fascinated with mechanical things and mechanical watches are miniature mechanical masterpieces. It makes me feel good to have a fine mechanical watch on my wrist.
datejusting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2013, 12:29 AM   #58
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater156 View Post
I'm speaking on behalf of the silent majority here, we want others to think we're successful and we consider a Rolex a status symbol. I think a lot of people here would publicly disagree with this sentitment, but I believe if they're truly honest with themselves they will agree. Maybe they don't feel this way anymore, but I'd bet this is one of the reasons they, myself included, became interested in Rolex.
Totally disagree... My interest in watches has zero to do with a brand. I'm intrigued by the complexity and function of what a timepiece is and does.. I'm sure the majority of people on this site would agree, it's not about the brand...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2013, 12:32 AM   #59
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
There are much better status symbols if that's what you're into. I jua like watches. My other favorite brand is Omega. Pretty hard to consider a 1970s quartz Deville a status symbol but I still like mine.

The simple fact is, no one notices your watch, let alone that it's a Rolex.
x2
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2013, 12:55 AM   #60
c.rod
"TRF" Member

it all started with these in the 80's when i was about 10..

http://classickicks.com/?p=1159
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote