The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
cityscape
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster AND SubC?

Rolex Team - I appreciate that you exist and have spent countless hours learning about the various Rolex models through your posts, pictures, and opinions.

My current collection consists of an Omega Speedmaster (3570) and an IWC Mark XVI Spitfire. These purchases were relatively easy for me to justify to myself as the Speedy was my first nice watch and the IWC has a completely different look and feel (i.e. light face, on brown alligator (for now), etc.) I have been thinking heavily about adding a Rolex sport watch to the collection as I think that both the Subs and GMTs are stunning (all models) - though I have been leaning towards the ceramic models. I've spent hours reading through the trove of "Sub C vs. GMT iiC" threads out there to help solidify my opinion.

This would be no small purchase for me and so I'd appreciate your opinions on whether a black/SS SubC Date or GMT iiC would be a semi-logical next addition or if it feels like it would overlap too much with the Speedy at this point in time. Has anyone been in this or a similar position? Did you/would you sell or keep the Speedmaster and why?

I already know I'm going to get hounded for a) lumping these watches together and b) suggesting that there is a "semi-logical" approach to collecting luxury watches.

Anyways... here's a picture of all three (Speedy, SubC Date, and GTM iiC) together. Realistically I'm leaning towards the 116610LN if I pull the trigger.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17342733@N04/9281113586/
cityscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 11:54 AM   #2
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
First of all welcome to TRF! This is a great to learn about watches & have fun doing so.

The Speedy Pro is a great watch. Many members here have one including myself and it absolutely belongs in any fine watch collection. There is a huge following for that timepiece and I would recommend you hang on to it for good.

Also, you really can't go wrong with either a Sub C or the GMT IIC. It will be a matter of personal taste. I owned a Sub C and still own my GMT. I simply found that I preferred the older styling of the Subs and that is why I sold it and bought a 16610LV.

However, in my opinion the GMT IIC is the best modern sports Rolex. To me it has the most balanced design and proportions.

Give it a little while and many more will probably be along to weigh in with their views.

Cheers
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 11:54 AM   #3
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Get the 116610LN as you're leaning that way
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 12:00 PM   #4
luvsub
2024 Pledge Member

Any ss sub will win. Welcome and good luck with your purchase.
luvsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Gmt master 2 c
"TRF" Member

I'm looking to purchase the speedy next myself along with the gmt2c i already own. I don't think there is a better looking sports watch out there than the rolex models, so i think you should purchase the rolex and put the speddy on a black leather strap (which is what i plan to do). That way you will have three great watches all with different loooks.
Gmt master 2 c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Thebiglagu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16610
Welcome! You really can't go wrong with either one, they are both great pieces. Just pick the one that sings to you when u put it on. If both do then you're f'd cause u will have to buy both! You can never have enough rolexes!
Thebiglagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Buck I
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner C
You will enjoy the 116610LN as it's quite outstanding! I have both and they are a great combo. Go for it!

Buck I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Chainring
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few, not enough.
Welcome to TRF. You have two nice watches. I plan to add the 3570 to my stable next year if all goes well. It is one of my favorite watches. I agree with Mike, I'd get the 116610LN. That way, you'll have two of the top 10 watches ever made. The GMT is great also, but falls just short of the importance of the Sub. Chances are you'll add a GMT down the road anyway. I went GMT first but wish I had done Sub first.
Chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 12:20 PM   #9
exxondus
"TRF" Member

Both are nice watches. I used to own the GMTIIc but flipped it for the SubC date when it was later released.

Reason being the PCL on the GMTIIc was a killer. Too flashy for my lifestyle. Buy the one that suits your lifestyle
exxondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Billywiz
Banned

Watch: YG President
Id go GMT...just to be different from most :)
Billywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 02:03 PM   #11
cityscape
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate your feedback. I agree that the Speedmaster is a great watch and it's true that it looks nice on virtually every strap combination out there - hopefully this creates a nice comfortable spot for a SS Rolex.

Here are my thoughts on... Sub Date, Sub, Sub-C Date, Sub-C, and GMT iiC. This is an "evolving" stance.

Ceramic vs. Non-Ceramic: I love the proportions of the older style subs, but if I keep my Speedy, that is my true heritage watch - one of the reasons I got the 3570 as opposed to the sapphire sandwich. If the Speedy was out of the picture, I would absolutely pick a 16610 up, in part b/c of the price point. That said, I must admit that I do like the "presence" of the ceramic model because both the IWC and Omega have the ability to fly under the radar (which can be a great characteristic IMO). The heavier bracelet does make it feel more like a tank, but I have no doubts that the previous models could withstand anything I threw at them. I am not sure if the Glidelock matters to me as I haven't had any problems wearing my other 2 watches on a traditional bracelet. This seems like a feature that is of most use if actually diving and wearing over a wetsuit.

Sub-C Date vs. Sub-C: I'm 50/50 with regard to which I prefer aesthetically. On one hand, the lack of a cyclops allows for an extremely clean and simple dial that almost seems to wear bigger due to its simplicity. One the other hand, the cyclops feels like a bit of a classic Rolex feature and there are plenty of non-cyclops/Rolex watches out there to own at some point. Functionally, I have found that I miss having the date on my Speedmaster and enjoy having it on my IWC. It's true that dates are posted everywhere, but even with a phone in pocket - there have been numerous times that I glance down to my wrist and wish that the Speedy had a date.

Sub-C Date vs. GMT iiC: this is the decision that I have gone back and forth on the most. I agree that the PCLs can add some "bling" the watch. I am actually neutral on this point as it wouldn't be my only SS watch. I like the added green. Functionally, while I do travel, I am typically traveling to a familiar offset (e.g. East Coast/West Coast), so it's not rocket science to manage. My 4 points that are currently leading me towards the Sub-C Date include... aesthetically more different from Speedy (IMO - see picture in my first post), "wear and forget" toughness with robust appearance (e.g. not needing to worry about a PCL scratch), chance of there being a multi-color GMT iiC release in the future that I like better than black and blue, and the blue lume. This last one is a bit trivial, but I do like it a lot and these are such close (and great) options that the smallest differences seem to matter.

As an aside – I originally bought my IWC on a SS bracelet and have since taken it off to put it on leather. I know that the bracelet adds quite a premium to the retail value for IWCs, does anyone have a hunch if there would be a market for the bracelet independent of the watch? I’m not asking for suggested value (I know we can't ask that here), simply if you believe that, based on your experience, there is a market for a bracelet without a watch.

I continue to look forward to hearing your opinions.
cityscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 03:15 PM   #12
srf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxondus View Post
Both are nice watches. I used to own the GMTIIc but flipped it for the SubC date when it was later released.

Reason being the PCL on the GMTIIc was a killer. Too flashy for my lifestyle. Buy the one that suits your lifestyle
I have the GMTIIC, and agree with you...PCLs too flashy for me, so I had it brushed at an AD. Now its perfect!!!
srf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
Had GMT couldn't take the PCL was too disco blingy for me. Now have sub c LV
Never looked back.
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 03:44 PM   #14
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Go with the sub
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 03:54 PM   #15
PunkJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 Sub
Two classic watches....though the new shape Sub ceramic isn't a classic, it may be some day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.5 KB, 312 views)
PunkJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2013, 11:50 PM   #16
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Don't see how a chronograph is even close to the GMT or any dive watch.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 12:28 AM   #17
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
Nobody will get you hounded around here for lumping a Speedy and a a sub together. The Speedy was the first decent watch I ever had. Others followed after, but it has a special place in my heart, and I'm sure in many others' in this forum as well.

You definitely get hounded, big time, for point b) above : suggesting that there is a "semi-logical" approach to collecting luxury watches. Friendly style hounding, though.

As for the GMT vs. Sub, it's a bit like Bordeaux vs. Burgundy or skiing vs. snowboarding: There is no absolute truth and, if you like both, you will end up owning both, in time.

Some around here, myself included, dislike Maxi-anything Rolex, and both the GMTIIC and the SubC fall in that category. The PCL (Polished Center Links, if you are not yet familiar with the lingo around here) of the GMTIIC make it fall even lower in the scale.

I have a fair sample of older GMTs that I love, and the GMT brought me to Rolex to start with, but the new styling killed all appetite.

The newest BLNR GMT (Blue and Black bezel) looks nice, but I have not seen in live yet. I MIGHT like that one more than the SubC.

Enjoy the hunting. That's where the fun is.
drainaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 01:02 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Based on what you've said and the research you are doing which is ofc half the fun, as Im sure you are finding, I would say go for the GMTc as it is more different to the Speedy than the Subc with the green, pcls and a more distinctive bezel, not to mention the timezone functions.

Altho Im sure you will love whichever you get as there is not much in it, good luck!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 01:06 AM   #19
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
I was very happy with only a Sub and Speedy for 30 years.

Then I discovered TRF and all that changed.

IMHO the Submariner and Speedmaster Pro are still the perfect pair.
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 01:47 AM   #20
clock
Banned

I had the Subc and currently have the GMTc which I prefer. The GMTc imho is one of the nicest Rolex sports model. Some don't like the pcl, but I think it adds just the right amount of sparkle as it does in the Daytona. The GMTc will not be your own watch, so the added bling will have its time and place.
I have found the GMTc to more comfortable than the Subc.

I am considering a Speedy 3570 or the 39mm Explorer.
clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 01:59 AM   #21
jshepard
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Welcome! My advice is along the lines of most, keep the speedmaster. It's a classic watch with great history and significance. As for the Subc vs GMT2c, while the sub is the most popular model I prefer the GMT.

Functionally, I find the extra time zone more relevant in our time since people all over the world is being more and more connected.

In terms of comfort, I prefer the thinner case and lower profile compared to the sub.

Aesthetically, it looks like a sub to most folks anyway. I'm not a fan of the PCL (that's why I went with the older coke model) but others have mentioned that you can brush the center links if its not to your liking.
jshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 02:05 AM   #22
Ray T
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619 LB
i have a few subc's, just not a stainless one hah, i also have the 3570 in my collection, along with the speedmaster apollo 11
Ray T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 03:39 AM   #23
slim4511
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex was the GMT IIc. I love it. Then I wanted a Polar faced companion and picked up the Explorer II 16570 (don't care for the huge hands and indices of the newer model 216570). I really love my Exp II. My third acquisition was the Speedmaster Pro. The Exp II and Speedy get most of my wrist time and are a perfect complement to each other in my opinion. I wear the GMT IIc more on a special occasion although sometimes it really isn't even that special of an occasion. I think that the three watches I have are a perfect trio FOR ME. That said, of your choices, I would go with the GMT IIc. You may also want to consider the Explorer II Polar to have both white and black faced watches from a flexibility standpoint.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 05:02 AM   #24
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
I have Sub and GMT iiC. Sub is universally most popular. Gmt is overall better sports watch IMHO. Dresses up a little nicer, water resistance to 300 ft is more than most will ever need, 24 hr green hand is nice....and it's a little more off the beaten path than Sub, which seems to be everywhere. But u win with either. Keep the Omega.
GsurgBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 05:23 AM   #25
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Can't go wrong with a classic pair.

(Wow, that's a terrible picture...sorry!)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373829789.647207.jpg
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote