The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 January 2016, 05:04 AM   #61
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I dislike the look of the chrono pushers and never warmed up to the sub dial chrono Patek seems to favor.

I much prefer the 5726/1a...which seems to be be black sheep around here

I think I like black sheep
Interesting points. Thanks for info.
Old 14 January 2016, 01:06 PM   #62
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I dislike the look of the chrono pushers and never warmed up to the sub dial chrono Patek seems to favor.

I much prefer the 5726/1a...which seems to be be black sheep around here

I think I like black sheep
I also prefer the 5726 - a bit more robust than the 5711-12, but more comfortable than the 5980-90. I can't get on with the pushers too and the big blot of a sub-dial just doesn't work for me. Inelegantly executed and it eliminates three indices and seems like an afterthought. Patek seems to be moving away from it too now as the 5905 and Pilot watch incorporate the larger sub-dial much better in my opinion.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 03:39 PM   #63
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
I also prefer the 5726 - a bit more robust than the 5711-12, but more comfortable than the 5980-90. I can't get on with the pushers too and the big blot of a sub-dial just doesn't work for me. Inelegantly executed and it eliminates three indices and seems like an afterthought. Patek seems to be moving away from it too now as the 5905 and Pilot watch incorporate the larger sub-dial much better in my opinion.
Exactly Jay!

Then again, we all have different taste.

GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 08:36 PM   #64
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly Jay!

Then again, we all have different taste.

Old 15 January 2016, 06:17 AM   #65
HOHO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Blue
Rolex Daytona. I found it just a little small and REALLY hard to read!
HOHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 06:54 AM   #66
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Daytona for me. For years I would stare at pictures and dream about owning one. I tried one on at an AD and loved it even more but was not ready to purchase.

Finally just last year I bought a black dial SS daytona. After about a month the passion was gone. It just didn't feel right. Mostly the size, but even the dial became too busy.

They still look great in photos though, I actually wish I didn't feel this way... just not right on the wrist for me.
Old 15 January 2016, 11:51 AM   #67
53x19
"TRF" Member

This - http://www.thehourlounge.com/en/vach...concern-635120

I'm still stunned that someone had that done to such a beautiful watch...

I managed to return the watch and get my money back. Lesson learned... only buy from trusted sellers on TRF.
53x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 01:06 PM   #68
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x19 View Post
This - http://www.thehourlounge.com/en/vach...concern-635120

I'm still stunned that someone had that done to such a beautiful watch...

I managed to return the watch and get my money back. Lesson learned... only buy from trusted sellers on TRF.
Interesting
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 01:21 PM   #69
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I was also disappointed in the Daytona. Bought a white dial 116520 a few months ago. Flipped it a month later. Just too small, too busy and too hard to read for my 57 year old eyes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 07:58 AM   #70
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Corum Admiral Cup. Bought it on impulse when I was a newbie then. Liked and worn it for about a week and went downhill rapidly. Sold and long gone.
This and the Concord C1 and Zenith Defy Xtreme, I owned and did enjoy as they were lots of fun but alas I did sell them all too as in the final analysis I wanted my watch to look more like a watch than a spaceship.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 10:55 AM   #71
LostinNihon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712/5164/SBGW253/
IWC Portuguese 8 Day. Fell in love with the movement and love the 8 day power reserve in a manual wind watch. Once I purchases, I struggled mightily with the 45mm size. If it was 41 or 42 maybe, but 45?

That said, it's a beautiful timepiece. I still have it but have not worn it for a couple of years now. Still love the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LostinNihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2016, 06:23 AM   #72
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Stowa Marine Original. No issues with the watch itself or quality, but how it fits. I have 6.75" wrist and it does not sit right. Could be the shape of the wrist too. My fault, ordered on line without trying one on. Had it for awhile, just rarely wear it. Need to sell it.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2016, 08:08 AM   #73
aprasert
"TRF" Member

Panerai, initially loved it, but the licking crown mechanism became gimmicky after 24 hours.
aprasert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2016, 08:13 AM   #74
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I've never owned one, but I've really tried to like the Daytona. Unfortunately I just don't find the dial as readable as I'd like. It's still a great looking piece
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2016, 10:57 AM   #75
jshepard
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I haven't bought anything I didn't like... but a few almosts...
IWC Aquatimer, the current version, I really wanted an IWC to add variety to my collection, was not happy when I tried it on. I like their pilot watches better.
Black Bay burgundy, looks beautiful in pictures, didn't sing to me in the flesh, I love the new black bezel BB, and I almost settled on the burgundy one when I couldn't find the black one, I'm glad I didn't.
Longines heritage diver, looks better in pictures, I wasn't feeling it when I tried it on.

jshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2016, 01:24 PM   #76
playmore009
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinNihon View Post
IWC Portuguese 8 Day. Fell in love with the movement and love the 8 day power reserve in a manual wind watch. Once I purchases, I struggled mightily with the 45mm size. If it was 41 or 42 maybe, but 45?

That said, it's a beautiful timepiece. I still have it but have not worn it for a couple of years now. Still love the movement.

I love the photos of this watch. As soon as I tried it on, the love was gone instantly.
playmore009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2016, 12:15 AM   #77
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Hublot.
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2016, 01:12 AM   #78
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

IWC Ingenieur 3239. I had to have it once I saw the SIHH pics, picked one up when it was available in the Fall & it was flipped within a month. Felt too much like a Genta homage piece to me.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 04:30 AM   #79
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

My Patek Aquanaut. I long wanted a PP and shortly after getting it I thought it looked cheap and tinny. I failed to see the wow factor once I got it on my wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patek1.jpg (85.8 KB, 1387 views)
Old 21 January 2016, 12:48 PM   #80
BeauneCrusher
"TRF" Member

A lot of watches that I lust after only to find after another click or two, that they are 45mm or larger.
BeauneCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 07:51 PM   #81
joshuagull
"TRF" Member

Watch that completely disappointed you?

So many...

Black Bay - This is the biggest one to date. I still love it so much that I continually try to convince myself that the slab sides of the case don't bother me when I know they do. It's a proportions thing.

SubC, GMTc & 42mm EXPII - I just cannot get with the supersized cases and maxi hands/dials. The watches just come across out of proportion, too shiny and a little cartoonish to my eye. Even with the old school cheap, rattly bracelets I much prefer the older 4 and 5-digit Rolex sports references.

Oris ProPilot & Divers 65 - I was pretty shocked at how cheap the crown felt to operate. Vague between positions and felt like it could easily be bent or cross-threaded when screwing it back in. A $100 Seiko diver's crown feels better to operate. It was a real let down.

Daytona - Modern ones are legibility nightmares and I don't love the indexes. 4-digit Daytonas are the only way to go for me.

Omega Seamaster 300 Master CoAxial - I wanted to love this piece so much but it's a mess to my eye. I don't like the polished tops of the lugs, the PCLs on a retro-styled diver or the white seconds hand (should match the other hands). It's a weird combo of vintage flatness and modern bling that doesn't work for me.

The list could go on and on, but I'll stop there for now. In summary, I'll say there are a TON of watches I like a lot, but VERY few that I like enough that I'd want to own them long term.
joshuagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 08:43 PM   #82
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

For me it was my Bluesy Sub c. A grail for a very long time. Still think that sunburst blue dial is the most gorgeous dial Rolex make and the only other way to get would have been to go all YG which I couldn't afford. The Bluesy just didn't fit my wrist well and cut into it no matter how I adjusted the links on either side or the Glidelock. [I had a badly set broken wrist as a kid and have some slightly misshapen bones there.]
I miss looking at the Bluesy but don't miss wearing it. Aiming for a BLNR now..smaller, lower, lighter than the TT Sub and hopefully more comfortable. And it still has a modicum of BLUE. Gotta love that.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 09:19 PM   #83
brookish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Blue
I went in to my AD once, planning to buy the Milgauss. I had been eying it up for months online and decided to take the plunge. When I had it on, it just didn't do anything, no singing.... I ended up leaving with a Rolex catalog and that was it...

Current collection: Rolex Sea-Dweller, Rolex Deepsea D-blue, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex Explorer II (black), Omega Speedmaster SS, IWC Ingenieur Chrono, Panerai PAM127, Panerai PAM328, Panerai PAM629, Panerai PAM217, Panerai PAM339, Panerai PAM341, Panerai PAM605, Panerai PAM376
brookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 10:20 PM   #84
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

I've had the Milgauss and sold it within a few weeks.

But the record breaker for me would be the SubC LV....2 days of ownership and out it went. The LV's dial is really gorgeous but the Bezel is just too green for my taste.
Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2016, 01:42 PM   #85
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuagull View Post
So many...

Black Bay - This is the biggest one to date. I still love it so much that I continually try to convince myself that the slab sides of the case don't bother me when I know they do. It's a proportions thing.

SubC, GMTc & 42mm EXPII - I just cannot get with the supersized cases and maxi hands/dials. The watches just come across out of proportion, too shiny and a little cartoonish to my eye. Even with the old school cheap, rattly bracelets I much prefer the older 4 and 5-digit Rolex sports references.

Oris ProPilot & Divers 65 - I was pretty shocked at how cheap the crown felt to operate. Vague between positions and felt like it could easily be bent or cross-threaded when screwing it back in. A $100 Seiko diver's crown feels better to operate. It was a real let down.

Daytona - Modern ones are legibility nightmares and I don't love the indexes. 4-digit Daytonas are the only way to go for me.

Omega Seamaster 300 Master CoAxial - I wanted to love this piece so much but it's a mess to my eye. I don't like the polished tops of the lugs, the PCLs on a retro-styled diver or the white seconds hand (should match the other hands). It's a weird combo of vintage flatness and modern bling that doesn't work for me.

The list could go on and on, but I'll stop there for now. In summary, I'll say there are a TON of watches I like a lot, but VERY few that I like enough that I'd want to own them long term.
I hear you on these.
The Black Bay sides are grating as is the 22mm lug width, but I think the rest of the watch just about makes up for it.
Not so with the seamster 300. I completely concur with your description. Nicely built watch but a mess of design incongruences. Especially the polished lugs and shiny bezel against the vintage dial. I also noticed the 3 and 9 on the dial aren't evenly spaced against the markers. Big mistake. Just doesn't work for me.
And yup, 4 digit Daytonas the way to go...
Old 23 January 2016, 05:31 AM   #86
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
For me it would have to be Milgauss (White Dial). Loved it in photos (epic fail was not trying it on) and then purchased it. Had it for three days and sold it. Dial just felt flat.
“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2016, 06:46 AM   #87
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I could go on and on

iwc 7 day auto - looked enormous on me (no bezel makes larger) and so thick. on someone else's wrist probably a real beauty (I loved the backside view). ran fast

all pams - I keep buying but they remain just as thick no matter how much I "will" them to shrink. I hope ive learned my lesson there - as its been several times

explorer 1 - I don't like mirrored arabics was the takeaway on that one (also formulated from vc deep stream 3hander)
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2016, 09:35 AM   #88
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
I only had one so far: Tag Heuer WAK2120 (Aquaracer blue with two tone gold). I studied and analyzed this purchase for two years before getting ready to finally take the plunge. As I got closer, I more intensely looked into owner issues, and saw nothing but headaches all over the internet. I thought, 'do I want to live with these shortcomings or own something like a Rolex instead?'

And now, I am a proud Rolex owner with no regrets.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2016, 10:10 AM   #89
Tokyo Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: but don't touch
Disappointing time

This. Bought this Anniversary Seamaster GMT on "sale" for $1999 outbound at Narita DFS many many moons ago and wore it for a long time but never liked the slippery bi-turning bezel and the movement malafunkshun'd completely @ 2 years requiring an overhaul. The red leather box set was impressive at purchase but when I opened it later to sell, it had gotten tacky and stuck to the inside of the cardboard outer box set ripping off in sticky chunks. It made my Rolex boxes look good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.6 KB, 1304 views)
Tokyo Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2016, 02:30 PM   #90
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
I've never been completely disappointed with any purchase so far…hated the fit on my 15400 though so it had to go.