The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 February 2016, 04:35 AM   #1
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234
Who know if the dial is correct

I saw this watch by a dealer only he don't know if the dial is orginal coming from the factory with the watch.

Its a caliber 1570 inside and in the backplate is ref 1005

The serial is 15...... So the watch is from 1960.

Who has more information if the dial is matching the watch.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455388531.624365.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1455388548.542605.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
robbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 04:37 AM   #2
robbrum
"TRF" Member

The insideImageUploadedByTapatalk1455388616.381273.jpg

Old 14 February 2016, 11:25 PM   #3
bieb1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Welcome to the forum. A short introduction usually goes a long way in getting responses and the poor quality pictures, especially the dial, will not help much in getting your question answered.

Having said that, you are looking at an Oyster perpetual no date, ref. 1005 from the sixties. Difficult to be sure, but it appears the dial shows T SWISS T below the 6 marker and the year you quote, eg 1960 is also around the time Rolex started using tritium as luminous, so it could be a correct dial.

If you Google the reference or search this forum you will surely find more info about the reference and how it evolved over time.

I found one post in the forum where the poster shows exactly your dial, but in this case on a 1965 watch. Link: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=75874

Good luck with the hunt.
bieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 01:43 AM   #4
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Thx bieb1 for your reaction. I had inroduce myself in the general forum didn't know that I must introduce myself her also sorry for that.

Today I bought the watch, the price was good and the quality also good.

Below the six on the dial is t swiss t and the link that you wrote in your reaction is the dial is exact the same.

Who knows what happens with the watch (dial) when I send the watch to a RSC for maintenance do they change the dial or leave it?

Old 15 February 2016, 02:21 AM   #5
bieb1
"TRF" Member

Hi Robbrum, my bad if you already introduced yourself, I did not see that. What I meant was that the post is a bit abrupt in asking for an assesment without much intro. No worries and congratulations on the purchase!!! Perhaps you can post some better pictures for us?

Your question about RSC may get a lot of different responses though. In general people suggest not to use an RSC for any vintage servicing, because they tend to replace everything considered "old" for a new replacement "service" item and that ruins any collector value that a watch might have. For tritium dials like yours they would likely replace it with a later or lookalike luminova dial and that would be a shame. If the hands are tritium they would also get replaced by luminova service hands, with the same disastrous effect on collector value. It will also make the watch look different from what it looks like now and if you bought it for its vintage looks that is the last thing you want, right? Check Google and you will find many examples and horror stories in this area.

The reason Rolex RSC's do this is because they do not want to carry any responsibility for aged tritium to flake off the dial or hands, end up in the movement and create problems and this of course also makes good sense from their pov.

So the general advice is to go to an independant watchmaker (forum members can give you recommendations subject to where you live).

Having said all that, my personal experience with the Rolex RSC here in Geneva (their HQ) has been excellent. They are expensive, but offer a vintage service where they will put all the old parts back, with the only condition that they do not provide any guarantee on their work if the dial or hands are considered unstable or corroded.

I cannot speak for RSC's in other locations, but in general, if where you go you can speak with the people who will do the work (so not someone who will put it in a box and send it away), you should be able to make your wishes known and hear from them what can or cannot be done.
bieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 03:01 AM   #6
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Some better quality pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 February 2016, 02:47 AM   #7
bieb1
"TRF" Member