The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 February 2016, 10:05 AM   #1
ana713
"TRF" Member

Difficult appraisal

I am interested in finding a vintage Rolex expert to give me an appraisal for a difficult to assess watch. (1930-1947 Chronographe) I have found several names, but it would be helpful if anyone who has experience with, or knows of, a "guru" would pass along a name. (I posted a picture and asked for help finding someone in another post, but it got off track)
Your help is much appreciated.
ana713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Here's a link to that thread: www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=458438
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Rick In Canada
"TRF" Member

I think you are going to have a hard time getting someone to put a value number on this. The case is not Rolex, parts of the movement are not Rolex, hands have been modified, and dial has been cleaned.
Are you even sure that the movement started out as a movement in a Rolex watch? Do you have providence to prove it? Movements of this time were made by a third party and were used in several watch brands.. How are you sure that this is not another watch brand with ether a Rolex dial added or even simply repainted with the words Rolex on the dial..
These are all things that someone is appraising the watch will want to ask you..

Not trying to be hard on you but Vintage Rolex is a scary scary place if things are not 100% correct..
Rick In Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 11:25 AM   #4
ana713
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure of anything, except what the person who worked on the watch told me, which is why I need help, EVEN if the news is bad.
I didn't have the dial cleaned, he only removed a few particles that could potentially cause problems with the function of the watch. The dial is authentic Rolex and the movement is one used by Rolex in their Chronographes during the time period of 1930-1947. The hands were completely free of luminous material when I purchased the watch, so that was added.
I know the watch isn't original or 100% correct. I just need help finding out what it is, hence my quest to find an "expert's" expert, so to speak.
Old 15 February 2016, 04:12 PM   #5
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
There are plenty of counterfeit "Rolex" chronographes floating around. They all started out as a different brand, then got a few counterfeit parts added to the movements and a repainted dial. This means that anything that is not 100% Rolex throughout will be seen as highly suspicious.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 11:49 PM   #6
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Out of curiosity, do you want to appraise it for insurance purposes, or do you want to try to return it to the seller. It's a nice watch and you seem aware that it's not a super valuable example. I would enjoy wearing it. I would not enjoy a mint $60k chrono. I just wanted to express this.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 02:26 AM   #7
ana713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Out of curiosity, do you want to appraise it for insurance purposes, or do you want to try to return it to the seller.
I used the word "appraisal" because in my prior post I asked for the name of someone to help me determine the model/history of the watch, and I didn't get any names. I thought if I used "appraisal", I might get a better response.

Knowing the value would be interesting, but I mainly want an expert I can show the watch to and get some answers.

I like the watch, and have worn it. I don't like the strap, but that's an easy fix.
Old 16 February 2016, 02:29 AM   #8
ana713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
This means that anything that is not 100% Rolex throughout will be seen as highly suspicious.
Which is why I'm looking for the name of an expert I can take/send the watch to for evaluation.
Old 16 February 2016, 06:24 AM   #9
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
The movement should be a very valuable part. But housed in a case that is aftermarket would make most buyers shy away from it. I am just saying this to help as I have seen this before in the car business. If the dial is good and orig then this may be what the watch is worth in totality.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 06:46 AM   #10
ana713
"TRF" Member

Thanks Harry. Good information, and advice. That's why I need to have someone who is very knowledgeable look at it closely to see what the different components are.
Old 16 February 2016, 09:14 AM   #11
Rick In Canada
"TRF" Member

I would think that there is more knowledge on this site than you will find with almost any "Expert" that you can send the watch to.. One idea might be to get detailed photos of the watch with closeups of the dial and movement and post them here.. I'm sure you will get many details on what it is you have there from that.. The higher the quality of the dial and movement photos the better..

I do think however that the most anyone will be able to tell you is stuff you already know.. You know the movement type.. Unless there is a maker marked on the inside of the case back, I would doubt you will get much detail on the case.. The dial is the interesting one.. Is it real or a repaint.. That is something you might be able to tell from some high quality closeup pics.. I'm betting however from experience that the entire watch is non Rolex with a repainted dial to look like a one... But I do hope I'm wrong..
Rick In Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 10:07 AM   #12
ana713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Canada View Post
Unless there is a maker marked on the inside of the case back, I would doubt you will get much detail on the case.. The dial is the interesting one.. Is it real or a repaint.. That is something you might be able to tell from some high quality closeup pics.. I'm betting however from experience that the entire watch is non Rolex with a repainted dial to look like a one... But I do hope I'm wrong..
Thanks Rick, I'll try and get some photos.

There is a Rolex maker mark on the inside of the case back, but it's unlikely it goes with the case. There is some question as to whether or not it's a Rolex case, but I didn't think Rolex made a plated case (not stainless). I don't think there's any doubt that it's the wrong case for the watch. I can't take the back off myself, but I'll try to get some help with that.

If the dial isn't real, then I got more than scammed by the guy I bought it from, I got taken by the watchmaker as well. I never would have paid as much as I did to have it restored if I thought it was fake. I probably wouldn't be the first person to be taken that way, but it's difficult to believe that a reputable watchmaker would do something like that. I'll definitely look into it...

Thanks again for your input.