The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 November 2016, 10:33 AM   #1
thresholdstudios
"TRF" Member

Explorer II Ref.1655 w/ new service dial hands case

I have been offered privately a Explorer II Ref.1655 that has been completely overhauled by Rolex in 2016. When I say completely, I mean completely: case. dial, hands, crystal, bracelet are all new service parts from Rolex. There are no traces of previous ownership externally. I am in a quandry about buying it as it looks "too new". The owner is asking £10K which I think is too much or am I mad not take up the offer of a "as new" vintage piece? I'm thinking that £6K is about right for this piece as it has absolutely no patina. The service papers are with the watch.

I would appreciate some advice.

Cheers.
thresholdstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 11:01 AM   #2
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun

That's a vintage design but not a vintage watch. Have no idea how you would value that outside of straight parts value and even that is relative - how difficult would it be to part and sell it all? In other words how liquid is such a purchase?

Interesting topic and will look forward to comments from those more knowledgeable
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 11:17 AM   #3
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Should be in vintage forum but for whatever it's worth I just don't see any reason to plunk down thousands of pounds for this piece... it's sort of a meaningless piece at this point in my view. I would save your money and put it towards a truer 1655.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Navy Sailor
"TRF" Member

A 1655 that doesn't look its age just doesn't seem right to me.
Old 2 November 2016, 12:04 PM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

I would pass
Old 2 November 2016, 12:09 PM   #6
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
Should be in vintage forum but for whatever it's worth I just don't see any reason to plunk down thousands of pounds for this piece... it's sort of a meaningless piece at this point in my view. I would save your money and put it towards a truer 1655.

i agree to a point. i'm a stickler for "as-found" original pieces and am not at all attracted to overly restored watches but the watch described by the OP is indeed worth "thousands of pounds". of course i don't feel it's value should approach an all original example but it's far from "meaningless" since it is made up of factory produced parts installed by rolex service. a quick recollection of all those "watchco" seamaster 300's assembled with original factory parts shows that watches of this configuration do indeed command good value. there would be many buyers for the 1655 the OP mentioned, as it's just a matter of price and lots of people wouldn't mind a factory fresh 1655 whether we like it or not, tho naturally in the vintage section of this forum most of us would balk at the notion
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 12:28 PM   #7
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome aboard. Post some pics.
Old 2 November 2016, 05:16 PM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
i agree to a point. i'm a stickler for "as-found" original pieces and am not at all attracted to overly restored watches but the watch described by the OP is indeed worth "thousands of pounds". of course i don't feel it's value should approach an all original example but it's far from "meaningless" since it is made up of factory produced parts installed by rolex service. a quick recollection of all those "watchco" seamaster 300's assembled with original factory parts shows that watches of this configuration do indeed command good value. there would be many buyers for the 1655 the OP mentioned, as it's just a matter of price and lots of people wouldn't mind a factory fresh 1655 whether we like it or not, tho naturally in the vintage section of this forum most of us would balk at the notion
I agree, plus most of us here are WIS but in the real world you'd have a genuine everyday timepiece that would attract many only interested in the vintage look. I wouldn't pay £10k though.
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 08:10 PM   #9
thresholdstudios
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your repsonses so far. I'm in a real quandry about this one. A "new" Ref.1655 is an appealing idea. Would I buy a vintage Jag E-type, fully restored? Sure I would. Would I prefer an unrestored car with genuine patina? (most probably). Vintage watches are a little different though aren't they, where "patina is king" and nothing else will do. It's all down to price I guess as it's only worth what someone is prepare to pay. I'm afraid an offer of £6K might insult him though. Don't think I would pay more. What do you guys think? I think my money would be better spent on a 5513 Sub but I've always been attracted to the 1655's "non-confirmist" appeal. (this is a guy who likes Bristol Cars!)

Cheers.
Steve.
Old 2 November 2016, 08:26 PM   #10
bubbaK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Serpico Y Laino
If you like the piece and wanna enjoy wearing it, buy it!

If you wanna flip it and make a buck, pass.
Old 2 November 2016, 09:24 PM   #11
thresholdstudios
"TRF" Member

Never say never but I'm not at all interested in flipping it and I know it wouldn't be valued as highly as an "original" but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea that I can put my own stamp on it - it is unique in the sense that it is (movement aside) brand new. It's just weird to see a watch of this vintage in this condition to be honest - dare I say it but it almost looks fake (I know it isn't as I have seen the official Rolex service papers). The 1655 has been a 'grail' piece for a very long time so I'm very torn about whether I should pull the trigger on it.

Cheers
Steve.
Old 2 November 2016, 10:05 PM   #12
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

If you want a new watch get the new ceramic sub. A fantastic watch and one of the best values in the Rolex lineup. If you want a 1655......wait for a better example. Part of the appeal of a vintage watch are the scars and history they display added to the scars and history you add.....hence the mystique. A restored car is one thing but you are referring to a kit car with an original engine......would I like an ac cobra, yes.......a kit car cobra......meh!
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 10:07 PM   #13
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

I also have a "well worn" 1655 and even the AD insisted that I have the calibre serviced with a new lens and leave it at that. The wife then tells me that I am wearing a watch that looks more knackered than me.

The dial has the patina and the paint work is totally missing from the numerals but the reality is that the values goes up with well worn watches as collectors go orgasmic over the well worn look.

I must confess I keep having the urge to take it to Rolex and just tell them to send it back as brand new but I know someone from here would probably have me assassinated for performing such a vile act.

To be honest, I think it makes more sense to wear a watch that looks new.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 10:08 PM   #14
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Value imho is between 7 to 8 k usd. I think someone is selling a service dial hand and bezel right now for 3k. Movement is 1500 at most. Replacement case.....well you can see the value on the service receipt.....
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2016, 04:37 AM   #15
RGAmos
"TRF" Member

It would indeed be interesting to know what Rolex charged for the restoration. This cost would serve as a reference for actual value today.
RGAmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2016, 05:20 AM   #16
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Further to my last post (Mick P my wife feels the same way about my 'knackered' 1665), I'd show your friend this thread and explain why you're offering £6k.
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2016, 06:18 AM   #17
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

Steve,

If you are looking for excuses to get it you will find a million!
Trust me I have been there.
Point is you are sinking some money in it. Would you be able to get it back if you sold it?
I know you said you are not going to flip it, this is a keeper etc etc!
Out of curiosity how many of us have said this and flipped a piece afterwards? I know I have done it and not just once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ar.parask13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2016, 10:12 AM   #18
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Marie View Post
If you want a new watch get the new ceramic sub. A fantastic watch and one of the best values in the Rolex lineup. If you want a 1655......wait for a better example. Part of the appeal of a vintage watch are the scars and history they display added to the scars and history you add.....hence the mystique. A restored car is one thing but you are referring to a kit car with an original engine......would I like an ac cobra, yes.......a kit car cobra......meh!
i'm not sure "kit car" is a very good comparison. if all of a sudden rolex announced they were re-issuing the 1655 assembled with factory new old stock original parts and a refurbished and guaranteed original 1570 movement there would be lines around the corner to buy one.

a new ceramic sub as an alternative choice is a bit of a reach...a swollen and heavy contemporary wrist anchor vs a classic and sensibly proportioned icon.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote