The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 24 July 2006, 08:39 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Alpha Chronograph.

The reason I bought this watch off flea-bay was mainly for the movement.The movement appeared to be a Venus 175,but looking closer its a Chinese made copy but they bought the tooling rights.The claim of chronometer on the dial of the Alpha must be for marketing,more about that later.And yes it's styling looks a bit like the Rolex Newman Daytona but thats where it ends,it just looks a bit like it, and its not made to deceive in any way. Its a 40mm watch Movement: 17 jewel manual wind chronograph with quite well finished Incabloc protection,running at 21,600 Bph,and the Crystal is good quality Acrylic.over-all weight 140 grams power reserve is 42 hours on a full wind,alla JJ.

Watch case and dial.

Now lets talk about quality, over-all I'm quite impressed with the quality for $65 plus $15 for postage.The dial is very crisp even under a 10x loupe,the fonts are very sharp and crisp.The watch comes on a solid link oyster style bracelet with screwed in links.That is very well finished and even lock-tight on the screws.And the case is well polished to a high mirror finish,and all the brushed work is nice and crisp, all the edges are sharp and clean.

Move,ment

Now the movement is a Column Wheel chronograph, and nicely decorated with blued screws, pearlage and Geneva stripes,(Hong Kong stripes).All the levers have been polished to a high luster and show little signs of any roughness under 15x loupe,plates and bridges seem to be plated.The gears are brass and have a high smooth finish. I would have expected to see a cheap plastic spacer ring holding the movement in place.But I was totally shocked to see the more traditional case clamps used, like on very much higher priced watches.

Movement.

Now off to my watchmaker friend and his timing machine.This will sort the men out from the boys.Well the first position he timed was dial up.The graphs banking was pretty well even, and showing + 5.07 seconds per day. Now this is a good sign, he only ran 100 beats for each run since after 100, the principle of cancelled returns starts to take effect.Next position was logically the dial down position. Notice now that the balance is running very slightly erratic and showing + 8.01 seconds per day .Now crown up, probably the least important position showing + 7.25 seconds daily, and a very even graph.Now the most important position crown down, now in this position gravity has it's greatest effect on the balance wheel.I would expect it to speed up a bit,in this position graph shows + 10.21 seconds daily,with a perfect strait line graph,this is excellent considering price of watch.Overall its running at just over Chronometer spec at + 7.65 seconds daily,with excellent isochronous.So out of the box its been tested and running very close to COSC specs.Now new watches tend to run a bit fast till the oil circulates around all the moving parts.But all the tests say this movement can quite easily be tuned to run well within COSC specs,but for how long,thats the $64000 question.But even my watchmaker friend made a comment that it looks and performs as good as the ETA equivalent.And after a week of wearing has settled down to +3 to +5 seconds daily,very good for a $65 watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 7 February 2020 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: bad spelling
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
But where's the battery, Peter? And do the subdials actually work or are they just for show?

Seriously, nice pick up for the price. Not my style because I'm not fond of the Paul Newman look; and it's mechanical - that's two strikes in my book. But enjoy it, mate.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 10:46 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
But where's the battery, Peter? And do the subdials actually work or are they just for show?

Seriously, nice pick up for the price. Not my style because I'm not fond of the Paul Newman look; and it's mechanical - that's two strikes in my book. But enjoy it, mate.
Yes Ed the Chrono fuctions all work crisply,and the reset goes back exactly to the 12 oclock position.My only gripe and I am being really picky,its only a two subdial proper 30 minute Chronograph.Just like the now out of production Venus 175.The subdial at 9 oclock acts for seconds,the one at 3 the 30 minute timer,and the one at 6 just a hour timer,same as the main hands.But for $65 perhaps I am a bit too picky.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 24 July 2006, 11:28 PM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I think you got a bargin Peter, well done.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 12:49 AM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

Outstanding review! I've read several reports that state Alpha gives you a whole lot of watch for the money.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 01:41 AM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, Peter Great watch and review
Old 25 July 2006, 03:58 AM   #7
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Sorry, but they look too much like fake Rolex watches to me. The red/blue GMT Alpha cracks me up everytime I see it on eBay.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 04:17 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Excellent value for the price, Padi. Enjoy it to the fullest!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 10:40 AM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Nice pick up Peter. I had an Alpha for a little over a year and for $42 US, I had no complaints with it.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 07:43 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanitis View Post
Sorry, but they look too much like fake Rolex watches to me. The red/blue GMT Alpha cracks me up everytime I see it on eBay.
Well you could say that of the Rolex Sub.Perhaps is that a homage to Blancpain, which is the original,rotating bezel dive watch.And was in production a full 14 months before the first Rolex Sub.But the Alpha watches are not meant to deceive,there is nothing printed Rolex on dial not even Swiss on dial. So how can they be like fake Rolex,and the Alpha GMT case is 44mm.

Blancpain 50 Fathoms tested in 1952.

[/QUOTE]

But the first 1953-4 Sub is very very similar to the Blancpain 50 Fathoms,and the first Rolex models had plain stick hands,and not the Mercedes hands in picture, these were a little later.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 26 July 2006, 07:36 AM   #11
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
I don't care what the dial reads, the rest of the watch screams Folex.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2006, 09:56 AM   #12
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

But the first 1953-4 Sub is very very similar to the Blancpain 50 Fathoms,and the first Rolex models had plain stick hands,and not the Mercedes hands in picture, these were a little later.

[/QUOTE]

The ball was on the bottom of the second hand also, wasn't it master?
Old 27 July 2006, 09:43 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
The ball was on the bottom of the second hand also, wasn't it master?
Correct Paulie but only for a short time.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 August 2006, 12:24 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Just a update on the Alpha its running a constant +3 daily quite remarkable for this priced watch.Have just won another on fleabay for $77 this time, but a black dial version for my grandson.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Last edited by padi56; 31 March 2017 at 08:28 PM..
Old 11 August 2006, 01:06 AM   #15
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just a update on the Alpha its running a constant +9 daily quite remarkable for this priced watch.Have just won another on fleabay for $77 this time, but a black dial version for my grandson.

That's great, Peter It's a great looking watch, I'm sure he'll love it
Old 11 August 2006, 08:22 AM   #16
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Just a update on the Alpha its running a constant +9 daily quite remarkable for this priced watch.Have just won another on fleabay for $77 this time, but a black dial version for my grandson.
Congratulations, Peter. Post some pics when it gets in.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2006, 09:21 AM   #17
mailman

That's good time for the watch. I hope your grandson appreciates it when it gets in. Please post some pics of it when it arrives.
Old 27 September 2006, 03:42 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
That's good time for the watch. I hope your grandson appreciates it when it gets in. Please post some pics of it when it arrives.
And would agree its proved to be a accurate movement by the consistent timekeeping, which is the most important consistency.But for how long well thats in the land of the gods.Just a update the Alpha is now running well inside COSC standards fantastic for a $65 watch.Been wearing it almost daily since bought,thought there was a blemish on acrylic crystal .Tried to remove it with Polywatch,but guess what.I had not removed the plastic protection sticker that was on the crystal.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 27 September 2006, 04:37 AM   #19
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And would agree its proved to be a accurate movement by the consistent timekeeping, which is the most important consistency.But for how long well thats in the land of the gods.Just a update the Alpha is now running well inside COSC standards fantastic for a $65 watch.Been wearing it almost daily since bought,thought there was a blemish on acrylic crystal .Tried to remove it with Polywatch,but guess what.I had not removed the plastic protection sticker that was on the crystal.
Even the protective covering help up well
Old 13 October 2006, 08:29 AM   #20
amanda
Banned

Their other models do resemble the Rolex quite alot too.... air king or what?

And this one is interesting too - http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPHA-REVERSO-2-...QQcmdZViewItem
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2006, 05:06 PM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post

And this one is interesting too - http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPHA-REVERSO-2-...QQcmdZViewItem
What!!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2006, 07:52 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Well Amanda perhaps very loosely resembles the explorer,with the Arabic's,but so do many other brands out there..The most important thing they are portraying themselves as a Alpha,and not a folex.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 November 2006, 05:40 PM   #23
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I recently purchased this watch and the review was excellent. I purchased the same watch and its incredible. The manual winding correlates to a manual transmission of a sportscar. This watch is accurate timekeeper and finely tuned!
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2006, 02:25 AM   #24
Hellcat65

Wow...some really mixed feelings here about this watch. I agree with padi though they are portraying themselves as "Alpha" not Rolex. Ive been eyeing them up myself and contemplating one for quite sometime, thanks to Padi Im gonna go ahead and get myself one!
Hellcat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2006, 01:11 AM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat65 View Post
Wow...some really mixed feelings here about this watch. I agree with padi though they are portraying themselves as "Alpha" not Rolex. Ive been eyeing them up myself and contemplating one for quite sometime, thanks to Padi Im gonna go ahead and get myself one!
Myself have not got any promlems with homage watches all brands.Fakes I hate full stop,but the Alpha is a fine watch in its own right,and recommend by myself.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 November 2006, 01:53 PM   #26
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Paid,
Can I ask your opinion on this Alpha?:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MakeTrack=true

Why is it called the Paul Newman watch? Seems like a good deal and I don't even mnd the hand winding, it reminds me of my Speedmaster!
Thanx,
Ren

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2006, 07:16 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt View Post
Paid,
Can I ask your opinion on this Alpha?:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MakeTrack=true

Why is it called the Paul Newman watch? Seems like a good deal and I don't even mnd the hand winding, it reminds me of my Speedmaster!
Thanx,
Ren
Well it does look a bit like what the call the Paul Newman dialled Daytona.Now I have both the black dial and the white dial.Bought of same seller as your link a 100% good guy,now a little tip if you say come second in auction.He will sent you a message via Ebay if you want to buy at your bid price.I got both mine like this,and the Sharkman the same.From the time I payed my money via Paypal took 9 days to arrive to the UK.The movement are a copy of the old Venus 175, 17 jewel M/wind VPH 21600 both mine are running fine and keeping excellent time.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 November 2006, 09:21 PM   #28
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I just picked up the white dial version Padi. My winning bid was a bit more though. Cost me a whole $90
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2006, 10:07 PM   #29
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
I just picked up the white dial version Padi. My winning bid was a bit more though. Cost me a whole $90
Well Bruce swings and rounabouts,I was lucky both mine I was second highest bidder $85 and $77 including the shipping fee.Myself prefer the white dial over black but for the money cannot fault them.Dont forget to remove the bezel and crystal protective plastic.Not like me try and remove a mark with polywatch from crystal only to find out it was on the protective plastic sticker what a dipstick.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 November 2006, 10:15 PM   #30
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Dont forget to remove the bezel and crystal protective plastic.Not like me try and remove a mark with polywatch from crystal only to find out it was on the protective plastic sticker what a dipstick.
RFLMAO I've almost done that, but never gone as far as the polywatch
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote