The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2020, 07:11 PM   #61
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
The analogy with a car service is not so relevant. Or lets say, not entirely.

Yes, watches do need service, but not so often as a car!
Changing the oil in the car is not the same as a full service movement on a watch when the mechanism is fully taken apart.
Do you ever take the whole engine apart on a car during a service, even a major one?

If a watch is modern and it has not been worn in years......I would not run to RSC to do a full service. I would wear it and see if it keeps time. This is one aspect: is it accurate?
The other important aspect is if the watch if still waterproof, in case I want to swim with it.
This can be easily determined with a pressure test.

I am all in for maintaining a watch properly. I have sent for service around 15 watches in the last years...but these were all vintage pieces which I knew that have not been serviced in decades.
On a modern watch I would take another approach.
What the watch needs is the oils/lubricants being changed since there's a high risk that the original oils have somewhat dried up since it was put away.

Running a watch without lubricants (much like a car) will cause the components to wear out much faster.

Of course you don't need to take the engine apart on a car, because there's an oilcontainer, pump, etc..

Theoretically you could engineer a watch with a small oil-container to be topped up and mostly eliminate the need for a service. At least for the sake of adding new lubricants the watch. As long as the watch is well-lubricated there shouldn't be any wear on the mechanical parts. If you don't bash and knock the watch around using it as a daily-beater I'd assume there would be no need to ever service the watch. Perhaps a watchmaker can chime in
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 08:51 PM   #62
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Screw View Post
Your kid might appreciate it more knowing that it was the watch that his dad wore every day and loved, rather than it sat in a box in a drawer until you died.
This. I started my own family tradition. I have two boys. The first one just graduated in mechanical engineering and for his gift I gave him my 1993 ish Submariner that my wife gave me for an anniversary. Watch was worn all the time. It’s been in for service and looking new again so he got that. Knowing I was going to do this in about 2015 I bought another sub and will do the same for the next son.

Seeing his expression I knew it was special because he knew how much I loved and wore that watch. I think it would have meant nothing if it was some watch that meant nothing and was just sitting in the safe but too each his own I guess.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 09:33 PM   #63
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'd not service them but perhaps have them water resistance tested. If they pass, then do what you like with them!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 09:40 PM   #64
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
So you're confident your kid will wear them to his job? What if he follows your idea and keep them for his kids?

Just wear it every weekend and then if its keeping time well, don't bother with service and if its losing time or gaining time, send it for service!
Kid won't need a job... Just sell the near new Rolex watches and live off the proceeds.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 01:42 AM   #65
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Assuming that parts are still available and Rolex haven't decided that 20 years is max for keeping parts to service your watch

I saw that on Instagram so it MUST be true.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 02:11 AM   #66
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
"If you haven't used them for 8 years the lubricants may have dried out, which leads to inaccuracies and possibly damage."

I'm wondering how a completely "sealed" watch, good to 330' underwater has oils that dry out? Would you not need a continous supply of fresh o2 for that to happen ?
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 03:09 AM   #67
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
do i still need to send in rolex for service if not worn?

Everything degrades over time. With synthetic oils and silicone based oils/grease used for watches (and other mechanical applications), degradation occurs in the form oxidation. Oxidation changes the properties of oils and lubricants which essentially results in lowered efficacy. Oxidation can occur within a “sealed” watch. It’s not a vacuum environment in there, and also there is intrinsic air from when the watch was sealed.

Oils and grease have a finite shelf life. Synthetic have a significantly longer shelf life than naturally derived.

In any case. Your watch OP. Do with it as you please
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 04:00 AM   #68
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Sorry about your situation. There is one thing I want to say. When you hit the bottom there is only one way left and that’s UP!! Good luck!
As far as watches, just wind them every once in a while and they will be fine.
Maybe put them on when you go out with your buddies for a drink. Maybe they grow on you once again!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 04:14 AM   #69
cob427
"TRF" Member

Icon7

FWIW, My father gave me a Bulova 5thAve watch new for Christmas and i was 14. That was in 1966! Had it serviced in 1980 and had an overhaul, dial refinish, new strap and that was 40 years ago. It's still in my watch rotation along with my father in laws Gruen that was his retirement gift from his job in 1977, he never wore it and i inherited it in 1999 and it's never been serviced and still keeps perfect time. So i doubt that my never worn 16610, 16520 and SD43 will take a dump if and when i ever wear them. It's a good idea though if you don't wear them at least wind them once a month.
cob427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 04:43 AM   #70
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Put it on and see if they are keeping time. If so, no need to send into service. If not, send em in

Simple as that
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:05 AM   #71
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt43392 View Post
there were many reasons why i haven't worn my rolexes for 8 years. I changed job, and went thru a divorce, and sold a house, and moved to little studio, sold my $40+k sports car, and now drive a clunker. my confident level has plummeted. Rolex presents success and confidence for me (I'm not speaking for everyone). Right now i have neither. Divorce has taken a toll on me. I didn't want to tell people my life story in my original post but it seems many people were wondering why I don't wear my rolexes so i think i owe them an explanation.
You can get right back where you were or even much higher, but it’s going to take action! And a single minded focus on succcess. Put yourself in the mind state where you cannot imagine any other outcome other than success then relentlessly apply your efforts every single chance you get.

Look at your phone. That was created by mere men no better than you. Look at the tallest building downtown. That was also created by mere men no better than you.

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to everyone acting like it’s a crime to not wear these watches and that you should sell them. However, if you need the money, you always have that option. If you’re going to keep them then I would wind them and wear them just around the house. You can’t really scratch a watch sitting on the couch. I think wearing them around the house will remind you that you are a bad mfr.

You better not be a troll. I’m not into motivating people with a fake story.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:39 AM   #72
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
It's not very nice but maybe spare a thought for someone who can only dream of storing 2 appreciating SS Rolexes in a safe for 8 years whilst they drive a clunker. Sounds ok to me. Not bad. A fellow clunker driver here. Btw.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:04 AM   #73
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
If you are not going to wear them, wait till it is time to hand them down and get them serviced.
Old 27 September 2020, 07:13 AM   #74
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
My 10c of advice, wind them and wear them, if only on holidays or when you have a short break.

Watches, like anything mechanical, need to be run from time to time if only to keep everything lubricated, and, excuse the pun, ticking over.

These watches are built to last and you will have no trouble handing them on to your kids in due course, but for now take a bit of time to enjoy these beautiful timepieces yourself.
I have to agree
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:42 AM   #75
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by abt43392 View Post
What's NOS?

What do you mean wouldn't let rolex service center open the GMT? don't people send rolex to the service center to have it serviced?

NOS = new old stock. If the service center opens it, it will be just another older watch in mint condition. Yours untouched would sell for high premium. Over $20K perhaps.
Old 27 September 2020, 07:50 AM   #76
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
you bought a gmt 2 and never wore it for 9 years? what's the point of servicing them?
Really.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 03:58 PM   #77
JEAJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118235
If possible and you feel up to it, try to wind them once a month. I get the divorce situation and it will get better. Sometimes it’s just too painful and the memories that are attached to certain items. In my humble opinion, your kid will love them, if you wear them or not. It may take some time, but success will happen again.
JEAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:05 PM   #78
Ihatecheese
Banned

I love the slightly grumpy responses from those exasperated that you wouldn't be wearing, blogging and worshipping the believed watches daily :) you really never need to explain yourself to anonymous forum members who may or may not own similar stuff.

If they run ok then no need to service. Simple!
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:56 PM   #79
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Put it on and see if they are keeping time. If so, no need to send into service. If not, send em in

Simple as that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 11:20 PM   #80
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
do i still need to send in rolex for service if not worn?

There are two preventative maintenance strategies for mechanical systems:

1. Time-based: you service every 3, 5, or 10 years depending on the age of the watches. Yours are pretty modern, you may be in the service every 10yr range.

2. Condition-based: you service when you see reduced performance. This is more accurate for any specific piece.

Lubricants degrade with time and usage (similar like changing the oil in your car).

Sent from the Waitlist at 6 different ADs
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote