The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 September 2020, 04:45 PM   #31
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The current Rolex Sub is hype because the old one is discontinued and new one is limited in it's distribution, so it becomes "exclusive" to those who can't get one and "inclusive" to the club of those that can (Status).

In today's environment, that is luxury and luxury is hyped. Plenty of other brands and products fit this.

Combine that with the beach to board room flexibility the sub offers and its ascent to a hype piece isn't a surprise to me.

Luxury is also about an active lifestyle. The days where lavish opulence and the "Grey Poupon" lifestyle are replaced with "wherever, whenever".

The Sub can hit the beach in the AM...catch a quick plane ride down to the coast for the party on the boat...cruise to the islands and get some more beach time in and then cruise back, hit dinner and the clubs. All can be done with the Sub. All the while looking great on Instagram. It can be whenever, wherever..just like it's owner. That's luxury modern style...and that gets hyped because, not many people can live that lifestyle and obtain that watch...etc.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 04:50 PM   #32
Redmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soondooboo View Post
Again I'm not calling the sub boring because it's not good, I'm saying the market price for it is silly and I think for all the wrong reasons. No one is paying 150% retail for Iphones and VW Golfs lol.

And to the people asking, I own the previous generation 6 digit sub and it's a watch that'll probably always stay in my collection, but I struggle wanting to put in on these days after having had it for ~4 years now, because simply put it's a boring and "safe" watch. In my mind the new sub is really not all that different, hence the question.

There was a point in time when people were paying stupid money for iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 05:06 PM   #33
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
DSSD is never boring

Sub and Sub/Dates are classics !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 05:18 PM   #34
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
The current Rolex Sub is hype because the old one is discontinued and new one is limited in it's distribution, so it becomes "exclusive" to those who can't get one and "inclusive" to the club of those that can (Status).

In today's environment, that is luxury and luxury is hyped. Plenty of other brands and products fit this.

Combine that with the beach to board room flexibility the sub offers and its ascent to a hype piece isn't a surprise to me.

Luxury is also about an active lifestyle. The days where lavish opulence and the "Grey Poupon" lifestyle are replaced with "wherever, whenever".

The Sub can hit the beach in the AM...catch a quick plane ride down to the coast for the party on the boat...cruise to the islands and get some more beach time in and then cruise back, hit dinner and the clubs. All can be done with the Sub. All the while looking great on Instagram. It can be whenever, wherever..just like it's owner. That's luxury modern style...and that gets hyped because, not many people can live that lifestyle and obtain that watch...etc.
I think you hit the mark here.
Oldfellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 05:31 PM   #35
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

. All the while looking great on Instagram.

Cellphone on a stick and you are a social influencer ,blogger and youtuber .Personality spread like a pancake over the internet ...... all smiles and no substance .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:01 PM   #36
Ihatecheese
Banned

I think the easiest thing to comprehend is that everyone has different taste. Sometimes it's hard to understand when so focused on personal preference.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:51 PM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Nothing is more attractive than a rising price.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:54 PM   #38
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Help you understand? “If you gotta ask, you ain’t never gonna know.”
^ what he said. You don't need other people to convince you you're wrong if you believe the Sub is hyped. They will no more convince you than you would someone with the opposite opinion.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:29 PM   #39
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

The sub is still boring - help me understand the hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
It’s because the hype crowd are like sheep. They can’t decide what they want so they want what everyone says they should want.

Not hating on the sub. It’s an icon. But that’s my guess in why the price is so high.

I couldn’t disagree with this more. I have wanted a stainless sub for about 25 years since I saw my dad acquire one when he was 40. He taught me about work ethic and how to play hard too. He taught me how to scuba dive and I’ve seen him ravage his sub and it has taken every beating with aplomb. He also taught me the value of the right tool and the dangers of being too ostentatious- both physical and social consequences exist.

The sub is ultimately a tool, so if by boring, you are all talking about flash and panache then unfortunately the point has been missed.

Enjoy yours and we’ll enjoy ours. But sheep? I can’t let that stand.you’re always going to pay for the best ... no, the right tools.

yisrael42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:47 PM   #40
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yisrael42 View Post
I couldn’t disagree with this more. I have wanted a stainless sub for about 25 years since I saw my dad acquire one when he was 40. He taught me about work ethic and how to play hard too. He taught me how to scuba dive and I’ve seen him ravage his sub and it has taken every beating with aplomb. He also taught me the value of the right tool and the dangers of being too ostentatious- both physical and social consequences exist.

The sub is ultimately a tool, so if by boring, you are all talking about flash and panache then unfortunately the point has been missed.

Enjoy yours and we’ll enjoy ours. But sheep? I can’t let that stand.you’re always going to pay for the best ... no, the right tools.

Relax cowboy

You’re taking it completely out of context. He’s merely referring to most of the new people coming out of the woodwork saying they want a Sub now
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:48 PM   #41
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

My bad then. Sorry. I heard a lot of “boring” and “sheep” along the thread.

Old 27 September 2020, 08:50 PM   #42
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think the sheep comment was because (like many things Rolex), once the new model came out everyone suddenly gravitated toward it. Black Subs (either date or no-date) were often regarded as ubiquitous and boring. But now, all of a sudden, because the new model is out everyone wants one.

I don't think the sheep comments are taking anything away from proper Sub followers. Before the Sub it was the GMT. Everyone simply had to have the new Batman / Pepsi.

It's just the way it is. Whatever new release there is people will follow the herd to queue up to get it. That's why the new LN is around $15k whereas the 116610 can be bought for around 20% less.

We're talking the type of guys that like to show off to their mates / on insta with the "o hey look I got the brand new Sub" BS.

The herd will move on to the next new release in 2021 and it will probably be a watch that is currently overlooked (such as the Explorer 1 or 2 or Milgauss).
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:52 PM   #43
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

I see. My apologies if I’ve offended anyone with my reply.

Old 27 September 2020, 08:55 PM   #44
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hey nobody is offended here. It's all good. These conversations are a nice distraction from the usual BS that's been going round here lately
Old 27 September 2020, 08:55 PM   #45
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

All good, you’re the type of owner who will be around after the hype
Old 27 September 2020, 09:00 PM   #46
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth, I do see the frustration with the sheepish / boring comments. I've had it before. I lusted after a black sub date for around 10-15 years before I could afford one and I'm ecstatic to say I picked one up last month.

I know people will think its the defacto noob Rolex and some will probably think I've bought it just for the name. The fact is though, like yourself yisrael42, is that to me the black sub is one of the best watches ever made.

If that makes it common / boring then so be it. But I bought this watch for me and nobody else.

As dmash says, many of us here will still be around long after the herd have come and gone.
Old 27 September 2020, 09:13 PM   #47
Ec2016
"TRF" Member

I agree. Sold my no date and don’t miss it at all. The only SS sub i like is the Hulk. Now the gold ones, that’s a different story.
Ec2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:36 PM   #48
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I could own just subs. Love them.
Old 27 September 2020, 09:38 PM   #49
dmash
"TRF" Member

For what it’s also worth, 90%+ people could even use a Day Date as their every day/‘beater’ watch. People really over-exaggerate the need for something like a Submariner when their most strenuous activities are heading to the office

I say this because by default everybody seems to list a diver as a staple and honestly you don’t need it if you don’t like the styling. A Submariner is so complete overkill for most all every day activities. Even leather strapped dress pieces in 2020 are pretty durable.
Old 27 September 2020, 09:39 PM   #50
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
It’s because the hype crowd are like sheep. They can’t decide what they want so they want what everyone says they should want.

Not hating on the sub. It’s an icon. But that’s my guess in why the price is so high.

I agree completely. This is often at the expense of potential owners who are actually passionate about a particular model and in the case of the Sub there are lots of reasons to like them. It depends what is motivating the individual.
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:42 PM   #51
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
A bunch of substantive and positive updates to an iconic, well-loved piece. Demand is much greater than supply. Hype explained.
This
Old 27 September 2020, 09:45 PM   #52
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I could own just subs. Love them.
Agreed. That’s what got me started in Rolex 40 years ago and I still feel the same way about them.
Old 27 September 2020, 09:48 PM   #53
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I just commented on this in another thread. I think it’s kind of insane people think an all green watch is going to age well and be a ‘classic’. The Kermit was cool because it had a black dial and the aluminum bezel aged well. This new ceramic versions will always maintain this vibrant color, nobody might wear this in 2030.

Just my opinion
100% agree. It’s so much green, it screams look at me and people are paying over 20k haha.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:57 PM   #54
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
100% agree. It’s so much green, it screams look at me and people are paying over 20k haha.
Quite honestly I think the Hulk will be looked at like bell bottom pants in 10 years and people paying 2-3x MSRP will be saying ‘what was I thinking’
Old 27 September 2020, 09:58 PM   #55
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I think you are confusing boring with classic, or perhaps iconic. Nothing boring about a black dial sub, whether date or no date model, vintage or modern.
I think it is possible, without beeing confused, to find the Sub classic, iconic AND quite boring
DoDe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:59 PM   #56
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
To think that a normal sub date is going for $15K in the grey market and so hyped up is just plain confusing to me.
Welcome to the lovely world of Rolex. I agree 100%.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:03 PM   #57
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I may be in the small minority but I don't get the hype around the new subs at all.

The sub has always been a great every day watch and an anchor in any collection, but it's also always been a boring choice. To think that a normal sub date is going for $15K in the grey market and so hyped up is just plain confusing to me. I would much rather get a BLNR or spend a couple grand more for a BLRO.

And $24K for a sub with a green bezel? Would much rather go for an SS AP at that point.

I don't agree with you... You're making a point based on Grey market prices.... That's not a fair comparison...
On the technical part the new sub looks amazing slimmer lugs, the case is more delicate and the bracelet feel strong as never....

I got mine 4 days ago from my AD and the watch looks fantastic super happy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_22092020_164410_(900_x_900_píxel).jpg (186.1 KB, 225 views)
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:05 PM   #58
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I bought/sold the sub no date twice and the sub date once. They really are not that exciting. To me, more exciting pieces are the SD and/or the DSSD JC. Those are exciting watches. Sub become boring. After a few weeks of daily wear i was really over it. I don’t understand the hype. Nice watches though
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:06 PM   #59
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
I don't agree with you... You're making a point based on Grey market prices.... That's not a fair comparison...
On the technical part the new sub looks amazing slimmer lugs, the case is more delicate and the bracelet feel strong as never....

I got mine 4 days ago from my AD and the watch looks fantastic super happy

I love that green bezel with the black face. I much prefer this to the all green, which seems to be a little too much. But that’s just me. Wear it in good health!

Old 27 September 2020, 10:30 PM   #60
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I think you are confusing boring with classic, or perhaps iconic. Nothing boring about a black dial sub, whether date or no date model, vintage or modern.

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote