The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 September 2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Blansky
2020 Pledge Member
 
Blansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wine Country CA.
Posts: 4,388
Saw the movie called Yesterday on Netflix....

Yesterday the movie has been out a while but it's a very fun movie with a pretty interesting premise.
__________________
OlllllllO
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 09:28 AM   #2
Doc Savage
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Real Name: Bill
Location: Michigan
Watch: Explorer, Tudor NF
Posts: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Yesterday the movie has been out a while but it's a very fun movie with a pretty interesting premise.
I liked it a lot. I've probably watched it 3 times during quarantine. I was a MASSIVE Beatles fan when I was a kid, and I still like them, so it was a great flick for me.
__________________
“The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living.”

-WWII US Army General Omar Bradley
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 09:48 AM   #3
TK-710
"TRF" Member
 
TK-710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Upstate
Watch: 116600
Posts: 1,583
That’s been on my “to watch” list since I first saw the preview. But up until now I only saw it on redbox and prime for pay preview and always found something free to watch instead.
Thank you for the heads up it, I’ll definitely watch it this weekend.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 09:54 AM   #4
BigAppleBill
2020 Pledge Member
 
BigAppleBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Real Name: Bill
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,289
I’m not a huge movie watcher, but I really enjoyed this one. Interesting premise, and well executed.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Blansky
2020 Pledge Member
 
Blansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wine Country CA.
Posts: 4,388
And the cast was perfect. And Danny Boyle’s work is great.
__________________
OlllllllO
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 10:55 AM   #6
austinp
"TRF" Member
 
austinp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: us
Posts: 1,950
I liked it as well but thought Blinded By the Light was better. Some similarities.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:14 AM   #7
crew
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
crew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Real Name: John
Location: Rochester/Naples
Watch: Pepsi
Posts: 14,406
Yesterday is on my list. Looking forward to it as I’m a big Beatles fan.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:29 AM   #8
DJ TT 2002
2020 Pledge Member
 
DJ TT 2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hollywood 1950
Posts: 3,661
Delightful movie!!
Won’t spoil my favorite parts, but it is a tearjerker too
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:05 PM   #9
JasoninDenver
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,504
Loved it as well!

Will check out Blinded by the Light as well.

Another great music themed movie is “Once”.
__________________
Jason Crawford

116610 LN
DateJust
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:28 PM   #10
Dr. Robert
2020 Pledge Member
 
Dr. Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Real Name: Bob
Location: SFO Bay Area, Ca.
Watch: 1655
Posts: 46,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ TT 2002 View Post
Delightful movie!!
Won’t spoil my favorite parts, but it is a tearjerker too
I concur
__________________
Founder & Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:20 PM   #11
AzPaul
2020 Pledge Member
 
AzPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Real Name: Paul
Location: Tucson, Az
Watch: Rolex 1501
Posts: 9,687
I thought it was great. Very enjoyable. But for some reason, it didn't do well at all at the box-office. All I can think is that the Beatles just don't mean very much to the younger set who constitute the lion's share of the movie going public these days.
__________________
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains
Then I wondered, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain
AzPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:35 PM   #12
Dr. Robert
2020 Pledge Member
 
Dr. Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Real Name: Bob
Location: SFO Bay Area, Ca.
Watch: 1655
Posts: 46,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
I thought it was great. Very enjoyable. But for some reason, it didn't do well at all at the box-office. All I can think is that the Beatles just don't mean very much to the younger set who constitute the lion's share of the movie going public these days.
They are all heathen

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
__________________
Founder & Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:23 AM   #13
Doc Savage
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
Doc Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Real Name: Bill
Location: Michigan
Watch: Explorer, Tudor NF
Posts: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
They are all heathen

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
LOL so true!
__________________
“The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living.”

-WWII US Army General Omar Bradley
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:42 AM   #14
ltmgeller
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
ltmgeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Real Name: Mike
Location: New York
Watch: Rolex
Posts: 13,206
Good movie
__________________
Oh, look at the time...
Official Member: 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas International GTG 2019
ltmgeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 01:32 AM   #15
Sperry
"TRF" Member
 
Sperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Real Name: Jim
Location: Alpha
Posts: 2,873
Loved all the Extras as well. Singing "Something" on the Late Late Show ...
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 05:25 PM   #16
80cert
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 36
I watched the movie recently too and it is interesting to me.
80cert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:48 PM   #17
cascavel
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 767
An awful movie that began with an interesting premise but turned into a Rom-Com. And a lame one, at that.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:34 PM   #18
Burlington
"TRF" Member
 
Burlington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 4,951
It was a good fun film, certainly worth a watch if it’s on Netflix
__________________
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.”

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:17 AM   #19
Blansky
2020 Pledge Member
 
Blansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wine Country CA.
Posts: 4,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
An awful movie that began with an interesting premise but turned into a Rom-Com. And a lame one, at that.
Interesting. I get that different people like different things but the original premise is so out there and rather charming that I'm not sure where you would suggest it went to.

I'm guessing the original premise MAY have come from people messing around and trying to write songs and always came up with something already done. So they may have joked hey what if I just play it and nobody knows it was already done......and from there it extrapolated to hey what if it was the most famous music ever done......etc etc

What's your take on where the story could have gone....
__________________
OlllllllO
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:13 AM   #20
cascavel
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Interesting. I get that different people like different things but the original premise is so out there and rather charming that I'm not sure where you would suggest it went to.

I'm guessing the original premise MAY have come from people messing around and trying to write songs and always came up with something already done. So they may have joked hey what if I just play it and nobody knows it was already done......and from there it extrapolated to hey what if it was the most famous music ever done......etc etc

What's your take on where the story could have gone....
If you fall off your bike and hit your head and wake up in the hospital and only you remember the Beatles so you write their music and everyone loves you and you're getting rich at some point you would have to question your own memories and, perhaps, sanity. In his case, at what point does he begin to think that he is indeed a genius? I was hoping the movie would explore the issue of creativity, and it's effect on creators who just hear music in their heads.
The protagonists interaction with the other people who remembered the Beatles should have been extremely disconcerting to him and been more central to the plot. What happened to the world they believed existed?
His obliviousness to the attentions of his beautiful groupie/girlfriend and, later decision that she was the right woman for him and giving away the rights to his music all speaks to the possibility that he was, indeed, insane.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:39 AM   #21
Taylorgold
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: California
Posts: 82
Would love to check it out..passed by when I saw it but from what I have heard would find time to go through it, thanks for sharing.
Taylorgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 11:00 AM   #22
Jster
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: California
Posts: 591
I love the Beatles so was curious about the movie. It was fun and light hearted. It was way too sappy at the ending. Good but not great.
Makes you wonder if their songs would actually hold up in today’s environment if they were new.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 08:32 PM   #23
cascavel
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
I love the Beatles so was curious about the movie. It was fun and light hearted. It was way too sappy at the ending. Good but not great.
Makes you wonder if their songs would actually hold up in today’s environment if they were new.
That's an interesting question! What a twist that would have been, if the Beatles' music, first presented 50 years later, had been met with lukewarm enthusiasm, popular with a small segment of listeners at local clubs.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 08:44 PM   #24
brandrea
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
brandrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Brian (TBone)
Location: canada
Watch: es make me smile
Posts: 46,093
Thanks for the heads up, my wife and I are looking for new things to watch
__________________
Instagram ~ brandrea3
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 12:38 AM   #25
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: N/A
Posts: 288
Interesting premise, heard very mixed reviews. Think I will watch it on the plane (in 2021+.....)
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 02:08 AM   #26
Blansky
2020 Pledge Member
 
Blansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wine Country CA.
Posts: 4,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
If you fall off your bike and hit your head and wake up in the hospital and only you remember the Beatles so you write their music and everyone loves you and you're getting rich at some point you would have to question your own memories and, perhaps, sanity. In his case, at what point does he begin to think that he is indeed a genius? I was hoping the movie would explore the issue of creativity, and it's effect on creators who just hear music in their heads.
The protagonists interaction with the other people who remembered the Beatles should have been extremely disconcerting to him and been more central to the plot. What happened to the world they believed existed?
His obliviousness to the attentions of his beautiful groupie/girlfriend and, later decision that she was the right woman for him and giving away the rights to his music all speaks to the possibility that he was, indeed, insane.

**SPOILER ALERT** If you haven't seen it don't read this.

To answer a couple of your questions just for fun, when he realized with incredulity that nobody knew the songs except him (at that point) he played them but knew he was a fraud.

He was also astounded that cigarettes and a few other things were "uninvented".

When a couple of other people turned up he thought he was going to be arrested but they were so happy the music was out there again they didn't care that he was a fraud.

I think people in countries other than the US have a slightly different view of wealth at any cost and he realized from the "agent" that his life would suck being rich and famous, he did the morally brave thing and gave the music away.

I think you may be overthinking a charming fantasy, and trying to instead decide what you would have done.

It was in reality a morality play about finding out what is important in life and choosing that instead of the road to ill gained riches.

Just a fun little movie about what if, and using Beatles music to get there.

One interesting scene, why Back to the USSR? why not Russia?

Romcoms are always fantasies. Because in reality, are there really happy endings??? If it's a happy ending, it really isn't the end. Just maybe the middle.

???
__________________
OlllllllO
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 02:13 AM   #27
trippinjimmy
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: The Good Life
Posts: 1,100
The wife and I enjoyed it. In a way, it was kinda like Joe Dirt to me in that I went in not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by it. Not the greatest movie of all time but def worth a watch!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 02:39 AM   #28
Maxy
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: TX
Watch: Daytona
Posts: 2,589
Don't see it on Netflix USA on my account. Not sure why!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 03:41 AM   #29
Blansky
2020 Pledge Member
 
Blansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wine Country CA.
Posts: 4,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Don't see it on Netflix USA on my account. Not sure why!
Maybe moved to HBO max?
__________________
OlllllllO
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 06:59 AM   #30
cascavel
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
**SPOILER ALERT** If you haven't seen it don't read this.

To answer a couple of your questions just for fun, when he realized with incredulity that nobody knew the songs except him (at that point) he played them but knew he was a fraud.

He was also astounded that cigarettes and a few other things were "uninvented".

When a couple of other people turned up he thought he was going to be arrested but they were so happy the music was out there again they didn't care that he was a fraud.

I think people in countries other than the US have a slightly different view of wealth at any cost and he realized from the "agent" that his life would suck being rich and famous, he did the morally brave thing and gave the music away.

I think you may be overthinking a charming fantasy, and trying to instead decide what you would have done.

It was in reality a morality play about finding out what is important in life and choosing that instead of the road to ill gained riches.

Just a fun little movie about what if, and using Beatles music to get there.

One interesting scene, why Back to the USSR? why not Russia?

Romcoms are always fantasies. Because in reality, are there really happy endings??? If it's a happy ending, it really isn't the end. Just maybe the middle.

???
I had the same discussion with my brother-in-law, he loved the movie and took your perspective. I had different hopes for the movie while I was watching it and shouldn't have been surprised when it ran off the road, idea wise.
It amazes me that Hollywood (it's all Hollywood, even if it wasn't made there) produces movies with morally uplifting endings, when it comes to money, when we all know that it is one of the most money grubbing places on earth, perhaps only second to Wall St. (oh yeah, and Washington DC).
Everyone in the movie business knows that their lives will suck unless they become rich and famous. That's why they're in the movie business.
The "ill gained riches" part of the your argument is the most interesting. If you're the only person who remembers (perceives) the world a certain way and everyone else remembers it differently, at what point do you either, go insane, or begin to believe that your own memory is suspect? If no one has ever heard a Beatles song before, then maybe the Beatles never existed and it's all in your head. How long can you hold out?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.